What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

I've been watching Season 1 on HBO On Demand over the last few weeks. They just rotated into episodes 11-16. Tony is about to get suspicious of Big Pu$...then the Hit...the Fed crackdown...then into Season 2 and Jackie. Great TV!

I downloaded and re-watched the entire series and I gotta say: Benny was freakin' solid. Way underrated. That guy was a rock from way early on up until Phil got whacked. Minus one rival beatdown and the fight with Artie, he was pretty much a go-getter who got the job done. I expect big things from him in Sopranos 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the one when Fin finds out that Vito is a fanooch. The part when Fin, Tony and kids are out to dinner and Fin pays....why does tony get mad and give Fin the big speech ? Is that a mob thing, an Italian thing or just a Tony thing?
I can only speak from the Italian side, but that same kind of thing has happened my entire life. Its a respect thing I think. If Im out to dinner with my family, I am never allowed to go to my pocket. Now that I have my own money, I would love to treat sometimes, but its like a war at the table when that check comes, and I always lose.
I should have married an Italian (for many reasons).

I downloaded and re-watched the entire series and I gotta say: Benny was freakin' solid. Way underrated. That guy was a rock from way early on up until Phil got whacked. Minus one rival beatdown and the fight with Artie, he was pretty much a go-getter who got the job done. I expect big things from him in Sopranos 2.
:unsure: Yep, Benny was solid. He was kind of easy to overlook on the first run, but on my second run through the series, I realized how many little things he did throughout the series.

I know this won't sway the die hard "Tony is dead, because it was in first perspective, man" fans, but I found this on the internet and found it interesting.

JOURNEY ROCKER KEPT SOPRANOS BOSS WAITING

Print article Print article

Refer this article Refer to a friend

Movie & Entertainment News provided by World Entertainment News Network (www.wenn.com)

2007-06-13 04:35:05 -

Rocker STEVE PERRY refused to let THE SOPRANOS creator DAVID CHASE use his classic song DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' in the mob show's final scene until he knew the fate of the drama's leading characters.

The ex-Journey frontman kept Chase waiting until three days before the long-awaited finale aired in America on Sunday (10Jun07).

Perry is a huge Sopranos fan and feared his 1981 rock anthem would be remembered as the soundtrack to the death of James Gandolfini's character Tony Soprano - until Chase assured him that wouldn't be the case.

Perry says, "The request came in a few weeks ago and it wasn't until Thursday that it got approval, because I was concerned.

"I was not excited about (the possibility of) the Soprano family being whacked to Don't Stop Believin'. Unless I know what happens - and I will swear to secrecy - I can't in good conscience feel good about its use." And Perry was so true to his word, he didn't even tell his family the song featured in the finale.

He adds, "I didn't want to blow it. Even my wife didn't know. She looked at me and said, 'You knew that and you didn't tell me?'"

Bolded for effect.

I know this won't sway the die hard "Tony is dead, because it was in first perspective, man" fans, but I found this on the internet and found it interesting.

JOURNEY ROCKER KEPT SOPRANOS BOSS WAITING

Print article Print article

Refer this article Refer to a friend

Movie & Entertainment News provided by World Entertainment News Network (www.wenn.com)

2007-06-13 04:35:05 -

Rocker STEVE PERRY refused to let THE SOPRANOS creator DAVID CHASE use his classic song DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' in the mob show's final scene until he knew the fate of the drama's leading characters.

The ex-Journey frontman kept Chase waiting until three days before the long-awaited finale aired in America on Sunday (10Jun07).

Perry is a huge Sopranos fan and feared his 1981 rock anthem would be remembered as the soundtrack to the death of James Gandolfini's character Tony Soprano - until Chase assured him that wouldn't be the case.

Perry says, "The request came in a few weeks ago and it wasn't until Thursday that it got approval, because I was concerned.

"I was not excited about (the possibility of) the Soprano family being whacked to Don't Stop Believin'. Unless I know what happens - and I will swear to secrecy - I can't in good conscience feel good about its use." And Perry was so true to his word, he didn't even tell his family the song featured in the finale.

He adds, "I didn't want to blow it. Even my wife didn't know. She looked at me and said, 'You knew that and you didn't tell me?'"

Bolded for effect.
That doesn't help prove anything. Chase knew there would be so many questions after that final episode that what he told Perry was true.

What's the deal on the laying your hands on a made guy thing that caused so much strife between Ralphie and Tony? Can made men fight each other (such as Tony and Mikey Palmice did yesterday) and it is just the Boss not being able to fight a made guy or is this just a plot gaffe?

What's the deal on the laying your hands on a made guy thing that caused so much strife between Ralphie and Tony? Can made men fight each other (such as Tony and Mikey Palmice did yesterday) and it is just the Boss not being able to fight a made guy or is this just a plot gaffe?
Made men are supposed to be protected. Tony should have been penalized for laying his hands on Mikey, I thought the same thing. Thats why Jersey is just a "glorified crew"

Tony beating up Mikey was completely different from Tony hitting Ralphie. Why? Because the conflict was between Tony and Junior, not Tony and Mikey. Once Tony and Junior made the peace following Jackie's death, I think it is fair to assume that Tony made some sort of gesture as a way of apologizing to Mikey (money, a bigger piece of a pie Tony made money from, etc...something like that), but since it was not essential to the plot, there was no need to show it on screen to the viewers.

"College" (1.05) is just starting on A&E. Some consider it the finest episode of the entire series.HELLLLLLLLO RAT!
It is awesome, but I think the story with Carmela and the priest drags a bit at times, which brings the overall episode down a notch or two. Still a top 20 Sopranos episode, but I can't say top 10.

"College" (1.05) is just starting on A&E. Some consider it the finest episode of the entire series.HELLLLLLLLO RAT!
It is awesome, but I think the story with Carmela and the priest drags a bit at times, which brings the overall episode down a notch or two. Still a top 20 Sopranos episode, but I can't say top 10.
The subplot with Monsignor Jughead was a crucial topic though. Will Carm give in to her forbidden carnal desires with a man of the cloth? Is her marriage a sham? Will her faith in a higher power be put to the test? Will Father Phil run out of parmesan cheese?

The subplot with Monsignor Jughead was a crucial topic though. Will Carm give in to her forbidden carnal desires with a man of the cloth? Is her marriage a sham? Will her faith in a higher power be put to the test? Will Father Phil run out of parmesan cheese?
Never could stand Father Phil. "The red pepper flakes make all the difference"Worst episode of season 1

Oh, I know it was crucial. It just isn't that interesting, especially when re-watching that episode.

Also, the most underrated moment of that episode is near the end when Tony is waiting in the hallway while Meadow is talking to the school and he sees the quote about wearing different faces.

Never could stand Father Phil. "The red pepper flakes make all the difference"Worst episode of season 1
It was a great moment in my life when the bullets from inside the helicopter killed him.

Worst episode of season 1
:confused: :shrug: :wall: "A Hit Is a Hit" is easily the least best episode of Season 1 (and it is still very good, just not awesome like the rest).
I didnt need this detour from the awesome Tony-Junior power struggle that was going on. Even the Melfi stuff was great dealing with his mom issues. The whole episode was just a friggin detour.

:lmao: :shock: :shock: "A Hit Is a Hit" is easily the least best episode of Season 1 (and it is still very good, just not awesome like the rest).
I didnt need this detour from the awesome Tony-Junior power struggle that was going on. Even the Melfi stuff was great dealing with his mom issues. The whole episode was just a friggin detour.
The Sopranos was great at doing stuff like that. Something big happens, and then it sort of gets bypassed for an episode or two. They did the same thing with the Tony and Ralphie fight in Season 3. When they had that fight at the end of "University," it was barely mentioned in the next episode, and then brought back to the forefront in the following episode.
:shock: :shock: :shock: "A Hit Is a Hit" is easily the least best episode of Season 1 (and it is still very good, just not awesome like the rest).
You better pour some fizzy ####### water on your head!
My favorite line of that episode is still the way Chrissy says, "Kinko's!" to the bozo lead singer who was talking about how they had given him five days of worth. Chrissy says that in a "this studio is costing me tons of money per day and you are talking about having days off from Kinko's" kind of way. :lol:

Ghost Rider said:
Oh, I know it was crucial. It just isn't that interesting, especially when re-watching that episode.

Also, the most underrated moment of that episode is near the end when Tony is waiting in the hallway while Meadow is talking to the school and he sees the quote about wearing different faces.
That's one of my favorite quotes ever:"No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which one is true." Nathaniel Hawthorne

What a scene to end this episode. One of the best scenes ever. Tony and the captains toasting Junior as new boss, while the feds take pics and then re-arrange the family tree.

I've only seen Season One in it's entirety once. I'm watching it again and I'm starting to think that ( up to this episode today...the one with Tony and the Prozac) Livia isn't plotting anything....she's just senile and the whole thing with her, Junior and Tony is just this huge misunderstanding. Her conversations with Junior are very vague and there's no real direct indication of threat or malice towards Tony. Is this how it is and I've just been very obtuse or am I reading too much into it?

I've been recording and watching season 1 and 2 episodes on A&E as I had only seen about half of them previously. I have a couple questions hopefully someone can answer.

In the episode where Christopher goes to the pastry shop and is impatiently waiting to be served (and ultimately shoots the foot of the kid behind the counter), the actor who plays Vito walks in as a customer. Is that supposed to be Vito in the show, or was he just a bit actor that they brought back later as a new character (Vito)? Chris never acknowledges him.

Also, in the episode season 2 where Tony starts up the executive game with Frank Sinatra Jr. and co. playing, they're counting up their profit at the end. 80 boxes of ziti (which is $80,000 I believe) and Sil says he made 20 more. So was Sil being staked in the game? Was he cheating?

I've only seen Season One in it's entirety once. I'm watching it again and I'm starting to think that ( up to this episode today...the one with Tony and the Prozac) Livia isn't plotting anything....she's just senile and the whole thing with her, Junior and Tony is just this huge misunderstanding. Her conversations with Junior are very vague and there's no real direct indication of threat or malice towards Tony. Is this how it is and I've just been very obtuse or am I reading too much into it?
I think it was a combination of the two. She was definitely trying to poison Junior's mind against Tony, but she was also losing her mind, too.
In the episode where Christopher goes to the pastry shop and is impatiently waiting to be served (and ultimately shoots the foot of the kid behind the counter), the actor who plays Vito walks in as a customer. Is that supposed to be Vito in the show, or was he just a bit actor that they brought back later as a new character (Vito)? Chris never acknowledges him.
A bit actor that they later brought back. The clerk even calls him by his name (Gino), so it was not Vito.
Also, in the episode season 2 where Tony starts up the executive game with Frank Sinatra Jr. and co. playing, they're counting up their profit at the end. 80 boxes of ziti (which is $80,000 I believe) and Sil says he made 20 more. So was Sil being staked in the game? Was he cheating?
I've never been quite sure how that worked, either, although I admittedly never gave it much thought.

I've never been quite sure how that worked, either, although I admittedly never gave it much thought.
Sil actually said "20 of it came out of my pocket"... so the take wasn't as big as it appeared.

She told Junior that the others Captain's mothers were also at the retirement home, and the Caps met there a lot...leading Junior to believe they were making a move. That was calculated lie, right?

She told Junior that the others Captain's mothers were also at the retirement home, and the Caps met there a lot...leading Junior to believe they were making a move. That was calculated lie, right?
IIRC< they really were there, were telling her they were there or were telling her that they were moving them there....that being the whole reason they could all meet there.

Just watched through S2 last week. I think Funhouse might be my favorite episode.
You've already seen the 2 best seasons. It doesn't get any better.If your time is limited, skip right to season 5 where the show makes a bit of a comeback. Seasons 3, 4 and 6 don't measure up.

Just watched through S2 last week. I think Funhouse might be my favorite episode.
You've already seen the 2 best seasons. It doesn't get any better.If your time is limited, skip right to season 5 where the show makes a bit of a comeback. Seasons 3, 4 and 6 don't measure up.
Oops, yeah I've already watched the whole series, was a big fan...meant to say I re-watched S2 last week. FWIW I agree that it's S1, S2, S5, and then the rest. S3 was mostly bad, and I honestly couldn't tell you what happened in S4...having the class of cons released from prison in S5 was a great way to replenish the cast/plot-lines.

Oops, yeah I've already watched the whole series, was a big fan...meant to say I re-watched S2 last week. FWIW I agree that it's S1, S2, S5, and then the rest. S3 was mostly bad, and I honestly couldn't tell you what happened in S4...having the class of cons released from prison in S5 was a great way to replenish the cast/plot-lines.
Season 4 Tough guy Furio becomes infatuated with fat old hag Carmella, reducing him to a blubbering idiot. :excited:

Ralph -v- Johnny Sac quarrel over "the joke"

Tough guy Furio becomes infatuated with fat old hag Carmella, reducing him to a blubbering idiot. :yes:
Might be the worst storyline ever

Tough guy Furio becomes infatuated with fat old hag Carmella, reducing him to a blubbering idiot. :yes:
Might be the worst storyline ever
oh my gawd, now i why i couldn't remember that season, i probably blocked it from my memory.the only notable scene from that whole train wreck was when Tony was drunk and taking a piss near the airplane propellor and Furio was "considering" throwing him in, lol.

but seriously yeah, that was awful.

RN> how many people did Tony kill over the course of the series? and whom?
These are the ones I can remember:The SnitchChristopher MoltisantiTony BlundettoRalphie The one guy near the boat where Tony pulls the gun out of the fishBig ####y
:lmao: The snitch was Febby Petrulio, aka Fred PetersThe guy on the boat was Chucky Signore, who was Junior's go-to hit man.
There was also the Bevalaqua kid that he killed with Big #####.

who is "the snitch"? refresh my memory on the episode.

was that the guy he tracked down while driving Meadow around to look at schools?

RN> how many people did Tony kill over the course of the series? and whom?
These are the ones I can remember:The SnitchChristopher MoltisantiTony BlundettoRalphie The one guy near the boat where Tony pulls the gun out of the fishBig ####y
:lmao: The snitch was Febby Petrulio, aka Fred PetersThe guy on the boat was Chucky Signore, who was Junior's go-to hit man.
There was also the Bevalaqua kid that he killed with Big #####.
Good catch. MOMMY!!!

You can't skip seasons 3 and 4, or you miss out on Ralph Cifaretto. Unacceptable.
I've always thought that Ritchie Aprille should have lasted another season or two. But Ralphie was an excellent substitute.

Users who are viewing this thread