What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

Remember "Coco"...? The thug from Phil's crew who said inappropriate things to Meadow, and Tony kicked his teeth out.

He's a Lieutenant on the police department a couple towns over from me here in R.I. Part-time actor too, obviously.

Small world.

http://www.armengaro.com/

Watched "Made in America" last night on A&E again. I'm also watching Season 2 right now on HOD. I was shocked at how old Tony and Junior look when fast forwarding a few years.

I shudder to think about how badly A&E probably botched the ending of the last episode. Let me guess:

-Tony looks up, and instead of getting the blank screen and the credits with silence, A&E immediately rolls the credits at the bottom of the screen with previews for another show at the top, right?

I shudder to think about how badly A&E probably botched the ending of the last episode. Let me guess:-Tony looks up, and instead of getting the blank screen and the credits with silence, A&E immediately rolls the credits at the bottom of the screen with previews for another show at the top, right?
:wall: Actually, they faded to black...let it go for about a second, then rolled the credits at the bottom and started with the next show.The beginnig did not start with Tony laying on the pillow (looking like a coffin) though...instead starting with Tony and Paulie waiting in the snow at the airport for the FBI. Was that a two-hour episode originally, or did they cut the beginning off?Also shocked they included the popping sounds when Phil gets it at the Raceway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shudder to think about how badly A&E probably botched the ending of the last episode. Let me guess:-Tony looks up, and instead of getting the blank screen and the credits with silence, A&E immediately rolls the credits at the bottom of the screen with previews for another show at the top, right?
Nope, they did it just right.

I watched the finale again this week. Reading that ridiculously long, shot-by-shot analysis by that guy who is certain that Tony gets killed as the screen goes black is somewhat interesting. But re-watching that final scene, it's still just a guess. There isn't any proof that Tony gets whacked.

Saw Gandolfini on Broadway last night in a play called God of Carnage. Totally hilarious. There were rumors early on that Gandolfini couldn't handle the workload on his voice and now I can see why. He does a lot of yelling in the show. All four actors in the show were great.

Pine Barrens on A&E

Awesome

"He killed 16 Checkoslavakians. He was an interior decorator"

"His place looked like ####"

who is "the snitch"? refresh my memory on the episode.was that the guy he tracked down while driving Meadow around to look at schools?
Yes, episode entitled "College"... season 1, episode 5.
They had a Sopranos trivia question on the radio, and the question involved this episode.Where did Tony attend college for one year?I remembered, but it took about ten callers before someone got it.

who is "the snitch"? refresh my memory on the episode.was that the guy he tracked down while driving Meadow around to look at schools?
Yes, episode entitled "College"... season 1, episode 5.
They had a Sopranos trivia question on the radio, and the question involved this episode.Where did Tony attend college for one year?I remembered, but it took about ten callers before someone got it.
Seton Hall."Those guys were 7 feet tall, some of 'em"

Saw Gandolfini on Broadway last night in a play called God of Carnage. Totally hilarious. There were rumors early on that Gandolfini couldn't handle the workload on his voice and now I can see why. He does a lot of yelling in the show. All four actors in the show were great.
Saw this a few weeks ago also, agree that it was great, Gandolfini did good. I think he was stressing on the voice, he was sweating buckets the entire time. All of the actors were great but Marcia Gay Harden in particular was incredible.

Saw Steve Schirripa on Jay Leno doing a bit.

No matter how many times I see him, no matter in what context I always hear this line: Roadies?
Classic line.
Tony was so jealous of how Janice was working on her issues, so he baited her, he baited her, until she snapped and pulled a knife.And then he strutted outside while a Kinks song played.
I wonder where Harpo is eating his Sunday dinner...

When Tony says, "I don't gotta right to ask...I'm the boy's uncle," Janice gasps, and then when it pans back to Tony, that smile he immediately flashed was probably the most evil look he ever gave, when considering the context. It was like a "Gotcha, you are still a crazy ##### and I just exposed you" evil grin.

At 1:43 in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSi0iOY2O4

When Tony says, "I don't gotta right to ask...I'm the boy's uncle," Janice gasps, and then when it pans back to Tony, that smile he immediately flashed was probably the most evil look he ever gave, when considering the context. It was like a "Gotcha, you are still a crazy ##### and I just exposed you" evil grin.

At 1:43 in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSi0iOY2O4
It's fascinating. We see Tony murder, beat, and torment many victims over the life of this series. And yet his treatment of Janice in that scene remains one of the cruelest things Tony's ever done.

Finally finished the series. Couple questions:

What happened to the foreign military guy that Pauly and Christopher didnt quite kill in the Pine Barrens? No return?

Silvio ... why no return?

What happened (maybe I forgot) to break up Christopher and his addict friend the Real Estate person? The last part I remember is them going in seperate cars to a meeting.

Whose crew offed Phil? It looked like both crews were searching for him.

Why did Fin and Meadow officially break up?

Emily Wickersham is fscking hot

Finally finished the series. Couple questions:What happened to the foreign military guy that Pauly and Christopher didnt quite kill in the Pine Barrens? No return?
It was never addressed again.
Because he is in a coma.
What happened (maybe I forgot) to break up Christopher and his addict friend the Real Estate person?
They obviously stopped seeing each other between Seasons 6a and 6b. What broke them up is pretty irrelevant, but I am sure it had something to do with their addictions.
Whose crew offed Phil? It looked like both crews were searching for him.
Tony's. Walden, who was a part of Tony's crew, killed him, and Benny drove the getaway car.
Why did Fin and Meadow officially break up?
They never said, but they were growing apart as Season 6a progressed, so they were broken up by the time 6b came around.

I've got a question regarding the loan sharking terms used in the show. Recently, the episode aired where Artie borrowed 50K from Tony, and Tony charghed him 1.5 points a week I believe. So that means Artie owes Tony 50.75 K in a week, right? Then he missed a payment. So he would owe him an additional $750, for a grand total of 51.5 K, correct? Or do they add the interest to the principle when 1 or more payments are missed? (In which case he would owe an additional $761.25 for a grand total of $51,511.50.)

I know in season 6 when Tony is in deep to Hesh he was just paying him the interest he owed every week for a while.

I am not sure what you are asking. Are you asking, if Artie pays him within a week, does he still owe interest for that first week? I would think the interest would kick in immediately, so say, you pay it off in eight days, you are probably paying two weeks worth of interest. Of course, you are probably at the mercy of however the loan shark (in this case, Tony) wants to handle it, but I am sure Tony would have given Artie a bit of latitude, regardless of how aggravated he was with him.

Because he is in a coma.
Sorry, I meant Furio. Any closure? Last I remember Tony said he had people looking for him and he was a dead man if found.
Tony can say all he wants, but Furio was back in Italy, and the crew he was back with there is a lot bigger than Tony's little Jersey crew, so he would be protected. That was just Tony trying to ruffle Carmela's feathers. But, really, there was no reason to bring Furio back. Furio knew that by staying, he would be endangering his life, and he wasn't prepared to kill Tony in order to be with Carmela, so he had no other alternative but to go back to Italy and stay there. After he almost threw Tony's into the helicopter while they were peeing, I think he realized how close he came to crossing the line, and he knew he had to get out of there.

These Miller Lite commercials with Frank Vincent are just awful.

Awful.

As I suggested several dozen pages back, if Chase knew how he was going to end the series (Tony's showdown with an old-school NY boss), then it is too bad he wasted Robert Loggia and Burt Young on such small, inconsequential roles.

Either of them would have been much better than Vincent.

Started re-watching this series from episode 1 earlier this week. Joseph R. Gannascoli who plays Vito in later seasons, was playing a guy named Gino in episode 8. He was the customer that Chris chased out of the bakery before blowing the clerk's toe off. Just seemed strange.

Started re-watching this series from episode 1 earlier this week. Joseph R. Gannascoli who plays Vito in later seasons, was playing a guy named Gino in episode 8. He was the customer that Chris chased out of the bakery before blowing the clerk's toe off. Just seemed strange.
Chase liked the way he ordered neapolitan bread, so he created a role for him.

These Miller Lite commercials with Frank Vincent are just awful.Awful.As I suggested several dozen pages back, if Chase knew how he was going to end the series (Tony's showdown with an old-school NY boss), then it is too bad he wasted Robert Loggia and Burt Young on such small, inconsequential roles.Either of them would have been much better than Vincent.
I think Vincent did a fine job on the show :goodposting:

Can't believe this thread exists!

My wife and I have spent the last 4 months rewatching every episode and the show is SO SO much better the second time around. The subtle things you pick up on are simply incredible. Cutaways, comments and references to past events...

Anyone notice how they do so much of the finishing of a sentence, but haven't made a point? But the person they are speaking to in the scene "gets it" and comments?

It's a form of communication we don't practice in the USA. The onus is on the receiver of the comment to decipher what the person is saying. So cool.

One correction from above Christopher DOES breakup with the real estate agent, he does it at the diner. They take seperate cars to an AA meeting, she even asks him if he's breaking up with her.

Man, I'll be checking back here a lot now!

So weed with Made in America and the rewatching of the entire series start to finish (the best way to do it).

My initial reaction to Made in America as a series ending episode when it aired originally was discust and anger.

My reaction now is ho hum...it really was a weak episode, and the weakest part of it was the "happy ending" they put on AJ life and the problems he faced. They took his depresion and made it look like he was just being a spoiled brat.

My take on the final scene is very different than when I first watched it. The last thing you see is Tony looking up as the door bell jingles and then the screne goes black.

I don;t think that is Meadow coming through the door...I don;t think she's made it through the door yet based on the cutaway from her to Tony before the blackout.

I'm glad this thread continues to get bumped from time to time... still the best series ever, IMO. I just re-watched the final season for the first time since it originally aired. All the drama aside, there were some moments in this series that also made it one of the funniest of all time.

To Softball's point, I think AJ really was, in very large part, just being a spoiled brat. Maybe that went hand-in-hand with actual depression, but he was definitely a spoiled little punk.

The final scene of the series finale was terrible. It may not have been quite as bad as I originally thought it was, but it was nonetheless pretty terrible.

So weed with Made in America and the rewatching of the entire series start to finish (the best way to do it).My initial reaction to Made in America as a series ending episode when it aired originally was discust and anger.My reaction now is ho hum...it really was a weak episode, and the weakest part of it was the "happy ending" they put on AJ life and the problems he faced. They took his depresion and made it look like he was just being a spoiled brat.My take on the final scene is very different than when I first watched it. The last thing you see is Tony looking up as the door bell jingles and then the screne goes black.I don;t think that is Meadow coming through the door...I don;t think she's made it through the door yet based on the cutaway from her to Tony before the blackout.
Was it really depression though? My take on AJ was that he was always just a spoiled brat, not on his way to being a real man and just used "depression" as an excuse.

so is he dead or not?
Chase says, "There's more than one way of looking at the ending."
What Chase was really saying?"This could lead to either a $75M or $100M opening weekend when we start the movies"....AJ was depressed, he's the son of Tony and in the final season Tony even talks with Melfi about his "putrid" blood being passed on to AJ.

Ghost Rider said:
so is he dead or not?
Yes. The evidence that indicates so is very overwhelming. Tons of symbolism and clues in the last season that makes it very obvious. I cannot remember if this was posted in this thread yet or not, but here it is again. Take 30 minutes and read this. All will make sense.http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-...ion-of-the-end/
No. Just because some film nerd wrote a dissertation on why he thinks Tony died doesn't make it so.

Ghost Rider said:
so is he dead or not?
Yes. The evidence that indicates so is very overwhelming. Tons of symbolism and clues in the last season that makes it very obvious. I cannot remember if this was posted in this thread yet or not, but here it is again. Take 30 minutes and read this. All will make sense.http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-...ion-of-the-end/
No. Just because some film nerd wrote a dissertation on why he thinks Tony died doesn't make it so.
I read some of that. And yes, it's just an uber-geek hypothesis. The writer would have you believe he's proven definitively that Tony's dead - and that simply isn't true.

Ghost Rider said:
so is he dead or not?
I read some of that. And yes, it's just an uber-geek hypothesis. The writer would have you believe he's proven definitively that Tony's dead - and that simply isn't true.
I agree with your point, but I'm coming around more and more to the conclusion that he is in fact dead.

I agree that the analysis in the link I posted is a bit over the top, but you gotta admit, a lot of it makes sense. And a lot of that I noticed on my own when watching the season over again.

Conspiracy theorists are talking of Chase leaking this info and helping to write this dissertation.
Believable. I'm beyond convinced that he's dead which makes the final scene all the more powerful to me. The thing I go back to the most is the Last Supper image of Tony and knowing that those framed pictures were brought in just for that one shot. That's just the tip of the iceberg, but it's the one that's stuck the most.

Conspiracy theorists are talking of Chase leaking this info and helping to write this dissertation.
Given his comments, Chase is pretty much a coward who won't ever give a definitive comment on that episode. Let's just leave him alone.

Given his comments, Chase is pretty much a coward who won't ever give a definitive comment on that episode. Let's just leave him alone.
Why does he need to give a definitive comment?
He said: "What you see is what you get."If you're desperate like the film geek that did the dissertation, you can twist that how you like.My question: Did we see Tony die? No. There you go.

Users who are viewing this thread