What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Deadliest Catch Thread! (1 Viewer)

Just watched it. Not ashamed to admit that I was very teary at the end. Gotta think Jake is blaming himself for the stroke. When Josh said "(Phil) didn't sleep much last night which is unusual" the shot off Jake right after as he realizes Phil didn't sleep much because of him. Did Jake go in the ambulance? I saw Josh climb in, but never saw Jake in there.At this point, I have to assume that the Kodiak sank. Been missing for several episodes now.
I thought maybe that was the Kodiak parked behind the Cornelia in the harbor....? It looked like the Kodiak, but it was iced over and I couldn't tell and I'm not sure how many boats there really are.Must not be enough drama on the Kodiak to make it into the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been watching the show for years, but I haven't posted much in here.

Seriously, is there any person on earth that has a rougher time than Jake Anderson? I can't help but feel bad for him....something seems to happen every episode - sister dies, dad goes missing. Plus he's basically supporting his whole family with the crab fishing even though he has a ####ed up arm (cut off his cast).

For the first few seasons, they were really pimping Jake Harris as the future of the boat, but these last few episodes really seemed to show Josh as the "leader" of the two. I can't imagine the pain Jake must've been going through with his dad on the stretcher, but Josh stepped up and took control of the situation there.

Also, that whole "who's going to get fired - Russell or Fourtner?" thing from the Time Bandit a few seasons ago....I guess that was all contrived, right? Cause all of a sudden, Fourtner is a superb deckhand who's been picked to take over the boat, and Russell keeps getting dropped off of other boats..

Been watching the show for years, but I haven't posted much in here.Seriously, is there any person on earth that has a rougher time than Jake Anderson? I can't help but feel bad for him....something seems to happen every episode - sister dies, dad goes missing. Plus he's basically supporting his whole family with the crab fishing even though he has a ####ed up arm (cut off his cast).For the first few seasons, they were really pimping Jake Harris as the future of the boat, but these last few episodes really seemed to show Josh as the "leader" of the two. I can't imagine the pain Jake must've been going through with his dad on the stretcher, but Josh stepped up and took control of the situation there.Also, that whole "who's going to get fired - Russell or Fourtner?" thing from the Time Bandit a few seasons ago....I guess that was all contrived, right? Cause all of a sudden, Fourtner is a superb deckhand who's been picked to take over the boat, and Russell keeps getting dropped off of other boats..
Josh will run the boat unless there is a swerve we don't see. Fortner is very capable of running the TB.ETA: The Time Bandit is very good at working the camera. They are the "Ric Flair" of Deadliest Catch. I have no idea how this will play out.

Tony Jabroni said:
videoguy505 said:
Rayderr said:
At this point, I have to assume that the Kodiak sank. Been missing for several episodes now.
:lmao:
:lmao: I really like the skipper, though.
They only had 4 video crews for the second part of the season. One on each of the main 3 boats and one that went back and forth between the wizard and kodiak. They equipped several boats with digital cameras though if something big happened.

Steve Tasker said:
For the first few seasons, they were really pimping Jake Harris as the future of the boat, but these last few episodes really seemed to show Josh as the "leader" of the two. I can't imagine the pain Jake must've been going through with his dad on the stretcher, but Josh stepped up and took control of the situation there.
I thought it was always pretty clear that Josh had his head on much better than Jake. I kept getting confused because Josh acts like the older brother when he's not.
Also, that whole "who's going to get fired - Russell or Fourtner?" thing from the Time Bandit a few seasons ago....I guess that was all contrived, right? Cause all of a sudden, Fourtner is a superb deckhand who's been picked to take over the boat, and Russell keeps getting dropped off of other boats..
I was thinking the same.

Interesting that Jon and Andy are really pushing the retirement angle. I wonder if the extra money they get from DC and now Geico have made retirement a reality a lot sooner than they anticipated.
As I was watching that, and knowing what was coming up with Phil, I started wondering about the editing.Is it possible their decision to get out was after Phil was taken to the hospital or passed away?? It just seemed "abrupt" to go from :lmao: to "I think it is time to get out" :lmao:

Rayderr said:
Just watched it. Not ashamed to admit that I was very teary at the end. Gotta think Jake is blaming himself for the stroke. When Josh said "(Phil) didn't sleep much last night which is unusual" the shot off Jake right after as he realizes Phil didn't sleep much because of him. Did Jake go in the ambulance? I saw Josh climb in, but never saw Jake in there.At this point, I have to assume that the Kodiak sank. Been missing for several episodes now.
It was very eerie on Phil feeling Ill the night before he busts Jake.. and then deciding to head back to St. Paul early... and then them going through the old photos.. Almost like Phil knew the end was Very near.. I agree on the :lmao: Probably going to be worse next week.

Interesting that Jon and Andy are really pushing the retirement angle. I wonder if the extra money they get from DC and now Geico have made retirement a reality a lot sooner than they anticipated.
As I was watching that, and knowing what was coming up with Phil, I started wondering about the editing.Is it possible their decision to get out was after Phil was taken to the hospital or passed away?? It just seemed "abrupt" to go from :lmao: to "I think it is time to get out" :shrug:
Agreed. I thought those guys were planning on fishing for a lot longer. The way they run it it's less wear on the captain anyway where they tag-team the duties.

Rayderr said:
It was very eerie on Phil feeling Ill the night before he busts Jake.. and then deciding to head back to St. Paul early... and then them going through the old photos.. Almost like Phil knew the end was Very near.. I agree on the :lmao: Probably going to be worse next week.
Phil headed home because of Jake, right? Is it possible Phil dies at sea if he doesn't catch Jake?

As I was watching that, and knowing what was coming up with Phil, I started wondering about the editing.Is it possible their decision to get out was after Phil was taken to the hospital or passed away?? It just seemed "abrupt" to go from :lmao: to "I think it is time to get out" :shrug:
They did do some time warping. Phil calling Sig about NW Jake's dad does fit into the timeline they were creating for Phil. Really seems like if it had taken after Phil finding out about his son, he would've opened up to Sig about it.

Rayderr said:
It was very eerie on Phil feeling Ill the night before he busts Jake.. and then deciding to head back to St. Paul early... and then them going through the old photos.. Almost like Phil knew the end was Very near.. I agree on the :ptts: Probably going to be worse next week.
Phil headed home because of Jake, right? Is it possible Phil dies at sea if he doesn't catch Jake?
No, I think they were full.

Rayderr said:
Well Mike (The Narrator) said "Phil decided to head in early" .. Leaving me to believe they might have Pots still down in the water, or at the least still had room for more crab.More than likely he did head in early because of the situation with Jake.. it just seemed a eerie coincidence that he decided to head in, reminisced with his son's over old Photos and then had the stroke..

It was very eerie on Phil feeling Ill the night before he busts Jake.. and then deciding to head back to St. Paul early... and then them going through the old photos.. Almost like Phil knew the end was Very near.. I agree on the :shrug: Probably going to be worse next week.
Well Mike (The Narrator) said "Phil decided to head in early" .. Leaving me to believe they might have Pots still down in the water, or at the least still had room for more crab.More than likely he did head in early because of the situation with Jake.. it just seemed a eerie coincidence that he decided to head in, reminisced with his son's over old Photos and then had the stroke..
It sure sounded like they came in early and were planning on heading back out. I think that is why Josh was wanting to call the co-owner Cornelia to find out what he wanted to do.

It sure sounded like they came in early and were planning on heading back out. I think that is why Josh was wanting to call the co-owner Cornelia to find out what he wanted to do.
This was covered in the press releases. The season wasn't over. They came into offload as they had some old crab. They left pots out there to go get to finish their season. What eventually happens is that relief captain comes in and they finish the season without either son on board. I think when they finally do get underway again it appeared that he just might live thru it.

I've been a fan of this show since the start, and this "anticipated" episode was very well done. Absolutely gut-wrenching.

ETA: Bad choice of words, but the reaction of his comrades, his oldest son trying to "hold it down", the speech by CM's crazy Samoan. Wow.

:goodposting: I'll admit it.

I've been a fan of this show since the start, and this "anticipated" episode was very well done. Absolutely gut-wrenching.ETA: Bad choice of words, but the reaction of his comrades, his oldest son trying to "hold it down", the speech by CM's crazy Samoan. Wow. :confused: I'll admit it.
Yep another great episode. It's too bad the brothers had to lose their dad to finally grow up and see eye to eye.Is Jonathan going to run the Cornelia so they can get their quota? Maybe he can teach Josh and he can become the new captain.

I've been a fan of this show since the start, and this "anticipated" episode was very well done. Absolutely gut-wrenching.ETA: Bad choice of words, but the reaction of his comrades, his oldest son trying to "hold it down", the speech by CM's crazy Samoan. Wow. :cry: I'll admit it.
Freddie gave Josh some great advice. Powerful stuff.

I've been a fan of this show since the start, and this "anticipated" episode was very well done. Absolutely gut-wrenching.ETA: Bad choice of words, but the reaction of his comrades, his oldest son trying to "hold it down", the speech by CM's crazy Samoan. Wow. :lmao: I'll admit it.
Yep another great episode. It's too bad the brothers had to lose their dad to finally grow up and see eye to eye.Is Jonathan going to run the Cornelia so they can get their quota? Maybe he can teach Josh and he can become the new captain.
I was thinking they'd most likely sell their remaining quota to other boats.

I have to admit, knowing what is coming over the rest of this season, I just can't bring myself to watch this. I am watching after the catch, but I can't watch the rest of this season.

A bit of insight into the Future

a few tidbits...

It’s been a time of transition for Josh, 27, and Jake, 24, as they settle their dad’s affairs and move on with their lives. For the eldest son, “I am going to take care of my family and the six companies that my dad started,” Josh says, “like the coffee company. That was one of his pride and joys, so I’ve got to take that over, along with the boat, and all his endorsements he had.”

The sons are looking to buy their dad’s fishing vessel, the “Cornelia Marie,” outright. “I will try to get it back up and running at full strength, and be the full owner, and my guys can keep their jobs,” Josh says. “I will achieve my goals. One way or another, it will happen. There is no failure in a fisherman.”

A bit of insight into the Future

a few tidbits...

It’s been a time of transition for Josh, 27, and Jake, 24, as they settle their dad’s affairs and move on with their lives. For the eldest son, “I am going to take care of my family and the six companies that my dad started,” Josh says, “like the coffee company. That was one of his pride and joys, so I’ve got to take that over, along with the boat, and all his endorsements he had.”

The sons are looking to buy their dad’s fishing vessel, the “Cornelia Marie,” outright. “I will try to get it back up and running at full strength, and be the full owner, and my guys can keep their jobs,” Josh says. “I will achieve my goals. One way or another, it will happen. There is no failure in a fisherman.”
Sure seems like Josh has his #### together and will have success.

I've been a fan of this show since the start, and this "anticipated" episode was very well done. Absolutely gut-wrenching.ETA: Bad choice of words, but the reaction of his comrades, his oldest son trying to "hold it down", the speech by CM's crazy Samoan. Wow. :shrug: I'll admit it.
:fishing: Worst part for me was watching it and then... "Dam, we got at least another week of this??" :lmao:Then the previews of next week absolutely floored me..

I have to admit, knowing what is coming over the rest of this season, I just can't bring myself to watch this. I am watching after the catch, but I can't watch the rest of this season.
I may be with you there. I wish they did it all in one episode.

I missed some of After the Catch, but did see that Josh was sitting around the table with the other captains and Mike and looked pretty good. But not sign of Jake. Did they say what was up with Jake? I wonder if he ever went to rehab.

I missed some of After the Catch, but did see that Josh was sitting around the table with the other captains and Mike and looked pretty good. But not sign of Jake. Did they say what was up with Jake? I wonder if he ever went to rehab.
Wasn't he in jail recently?

He was on one of the first episodes of After the Catch. They didn't really go into any detail about the things that had happened to him, he was there to talk a little bit about Phil, but mostly they were talking about the the Jake swap that happened during king crab season.

He was on one of the first episodes of After the Catch. They didn't really go into any detail about the things that had happened to him, he was there to talk a little bit about Phil, but mostly they were talking about the the Jake swap that happened during king crab season.
Hopefully he's in rehab.

Hopefully he's in rehab.
This kid definately needs a good ### kicking also.

Hopefully he's in rehab.
I wish Josh would have beat his ### at the end of the show. Big :excited: to Johnathan for being by Phil's side, he had come off the boat to go take a 20 day vacation and instead cancelled it all to stay there with the boys.

Hopefully he's in rehab.
I wish Josh would have beat his ### at the end of the show. Big :excited: to Johnathan for being by Phil's side, he had come off the boat to go take a 20 day vacation and instead cancelled it all to stay there with the boys.
I wondered why Johnathon was always hanging around. I figured he was going to do another GEICO commericial.

CGRdrJoe said:
Big :fro: to Johnathan for being by Phil's side, he had come off the boat to go take a 20 day vacation and instead cancelled it all to stay there with the boys.
:fro: :fro: :fro: How can one not like Jonathan? He's there to pick up Josh at the airport, with them everytime they talk to the doctors just to be there for them. His speech at the end to Josh was perfect. He is just awesome.

thatguythere said:
identikit said:
Foosball God said:
DCThunder said:
Hopefully he's in rehab.
according to the article in the link above, Jake went to rehab and moved closer to his brother.I caught a few of the old episodes during the replay weekend (memorial day i think) and you could really see Phil deteriorate in just a matter of 3-4 years. Its a shame no one told (or he was too stubborn) to change while he still could

CGRdrJoe said:
Big :thumbup: to Johnathan for being by Phil's side, he had come off the boat to go take a 20 day vacation and instead cancelled it all to stay there with the boys.
:D :goodposting: :goodposting: How can one not like Jonathan? He's there to pick up Josh at the airport, with them everytime they talk to the doctors just to be there for them. His speech at the end to Josh was perfect. He is just awesome.
:thumbup: Jonathon will skipper the CM next season. Just a wild guess.

I have a feeling that if Josh/Jake actually got into a physical altercation we would have never seen the video, they wouldn't have aired it.

I have a feeling that if Josh/Jake actually got into a physical altercation we would have never seen the video, they wouldn't have aired it.
My guess is that they'd show it; at the very least they'd play the audio, like when Jake was caught stealing Phil's meds.

I think the video of Phil immediately post-stroke was too much.

I understand that viewers are interested, and Discovery likely has a contract in place that lets them film everything other than bathroom time. However, I felt like I was intruding on a private moment best shared by extended family.

So I've fast-forwarded through most of Phil's medical issues.

I agree with the earlier posts on Jonathan; he's a stand-up guy. I think a great idea would be for him to captain the CM for a few seasons to get Josh up to speed; and for Andy to do the same on the TB. Neither Josh nor Fortner seems ready to take over a multi-million dollar business that puts mens' lives at risk.

I really like the way Josh has been trying to step into the shoes of Phil's legacy. But we really have yet to see what either of the boys has in his "man-up tank." They were living in the shadow of a significant personage in Phil; and it's hard to excel in those circumstances. Still, I think that if either of the boys is going to manifest the capacity to run the CM, it will be Josh. He appears to have the framework of manhood inside him; he just needs some mentoring to build on it.

I have a difficult time seeing Jake in the role of captain of a crab boat. He'd have to sit on phone books to see out over the bow. And he doesn't have the maturity to put job and others before self. When the pressure of Phil's stroke hit the boys, they reacted in substantially different manners. Josh was wrestling with how he should honor his father's legacy: work the boat or be with his father. Jake is a self-absorbed, under-confident, immature addict who steals medication from his ailing father. To which of them would you rather hand the keys of your family business? Which one would you rather your daughter leave the house with?

I voted "dog"; and now I vote "Josh."

I think the video of Phil immediately post-stroke was too much. I understand that viewers are interested, and Discovery likely has a contract in place that lets them film everything other than bathroom time. However, I felt like I was intruding on a private moment best shared by extended family.
It was Phil's request to have what would be his final days taped, because it's “a great finish to the story.” (his words) I'm sure they are treating it as delicately as possible and going over things with Josh and/or Jake.

I think the video of Phil immediately post-stroke was too much. I understand that viewers are interested, and Discovery likely has a contract in place that lets them film everything other than bathroom time. However, I felt like I was intruding on a private moment best shared by extended family.
It was Phil's request to have what would be his final days taped, because it's “a great finish to the story.” (his words) I'm sure they are treating it as delicately as possible and going over things with Josh and/or Jake.
That's good to know. Still not sure if I'll watch those scenes, but if I do, I'll feel better about it.

That's good to know. Still not sure if I'll watch those scenes, but if I do, I'll feel better about it.
He apparently told his long time camera man that every good story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. He wanted to make sure his life was a good story.

The way they are showing the other boats in the aftermath of this is beyond anything DSC has ever done. You wonder if they had this sort of editing mantra setup in advance, but it's still worthy of all the praise one can give it. So many elements are perfectly executed.

I do think they are stumbling through the actual death scenes to some extent which makes for an interesting contrast.

I find this extremely hard to watch now, I have tried to watch After the Catch from last week three times and can't make it more than 10 minutes. I am not usually like that and don't understand why, I didn't even know Phil Harris.

Can't imagine it is going to be easy watching his final moments :confused:

I would suggest just grabbing the box of Kleenex and putting it in your lap tonight.

We end up DVR'ing it as my wife insists on watching Hells Kitchen live so won't watch it until tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread