What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread (2 Viewers)

:thumbup: and a big thanks to the Nationals for their series win.

I guess the Nationals were very impressed with Detroit saying "that is a Championship team" and "the best team we've played this year." I wonder what they thought of the Indians after being three outs away from sweeping them?

Anyway, nice job D.C. :thumbup:

:) and a big thanks to the Nationals for their series win. I guess the Nationals were very impressed with Detroit saying "that is a Championship team" and "the best team we've played this year." I wonder what they thought of the Indians after being three outs away from sweeping them? Anyway, nice job D.C. :lmao:
I expect them to lose many close games this year, but Saturday was just pure crap. I honestly expected better of them in the 9th.

IT'S OFFICIAL

Win #41 = The '07 Nationals are not the worst team ever

:thumbup:

Good game to be at today.

Why are the Nats signing Dmitri Young to a 2 yr deal? If Nick Johnson comes back next year, where does Young play? Or where does Johnson? They're both first basemen and last time I checked, there's no DH in the NL, and Johnson's a much better fielder than Young.

So can someone explain this inexplicable move by Bowden to me? :yes:

Why are the Nats signing Dmitri Young to a 2 yr deal? If Nick Johnson comes back next year, where does Young play? Or where does Johnson? They're both first basemen and last time I checked, there's no DH in the NL, and Johnson's a much better fielder than Young.So can someone explain this inexplicable move by Bowden to me? :thumbup:
Nick Johnson not recovering well? Bowden made a comment a while back about Young playing LF when Johnson came back. :lmao:

Why are the Nats signing Dmitri Young to a 2 yr deal? If Nick Johnson comes back next year, where does Young play? Or where does Johnson? They're both first basemen and last time I checked, there's no DH in the NL, and Johnson's a much better fielder than Young.So can someone explain this inexplicable move by Bowden to me? :popcorn:
This is seriously one of the dumbest moves I've seen in a long time by a GM -- and that's saying something. He could have flipped DYoung for something when DY's value is at its peak. Instead he signed him to an extension which GUARANTEES DY will be overpaid for the next two years. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

:thumbup: Da Meat Hook

He's a fan favorite

But yeah pretty dumb move, the DH position was invented for that guy

Nick Johnson is a woman

Baltimore 46-53 .465 Washington 42-57 .424 I still don't get the subtitle of this thread. Keep watching MASN since we get 2/3 of the profit.
Changed just for you, bitterman. It was just a joke, after the manager mess. Enjoy another decade of Angeloses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job by the Nats to sign their top 20 draft picks, including three players they ranked in the top 15 overall (all lefty pitchers).

Hopefully we'll see Detweiller at RFK in September.

Last night was the second time this season I've seen Nook Logan steal second on a pick off play.

It's Labor Day and the Nationals are in sole possession of 4th place in the NL East. Who saw that coming back in March?

As a fan of a loser team, you gotta love this week... the only way it could have lined up better is if these games were at home.. let's keep making it interesting Nats.

Well, 73-89. Better than expected, so we got that going for us.

Conventional wisdom is they will spend this year in FA for the opening of the new park. They won't go crazy, but they should be out there trying to grab a big piece or two. Of course, they need starting pitching and another big bat.

As of now, they are looking at a possible batting order of:

CF Logan

SS Guzman

3B Zimmerman

LF Pena

1B Young/Johnson

RF Kearns

2B Lopez

C Schneider/Flores

P ???

Who's available that they have a shot at in FA? Who in that lineup really needs to be replaced?

Last edited by a moderator:
And 64-64 since the middle of May, if Bowell's figures in yesterday's column are to be believed.Manny Acta should be Manager of the Year in th NL. He won't be, but he should....

And 64-64 since the middle of May, if Bowell's figures in yesterday's column are to be believed.Manny Acta should be Manager of the Year in th NL. He won't be, but he should....
Why do you say that?I personally think it should be Clint Hurdle or Bob Melvin. Honestly look at Arizona. Take away Randy Johnson's $9M salary (since he only made 10 starts all season) and the Diamondbacks have a 43M payroll. The Nats had a 37M payroll.

Acta did a good job of getting that undermanned team to play hard everyday. No doubt. Lots of good candidates for manager of the year though. He gets an honorable mention. Maybe next year if they make a run.

Why do you say that?I personally think it should be Clint Hurdle or Bob Melvin. Honestly look at Arizona. Take away Randy Johnson's $9M salary (since he only made 10 starts all season) and the Diamondbacks have a 43M payroll. The Nats had a 37M payroll.
Acta took a team that everyone thought would lose 120 games this season, had no proven starting pitching, its best "power hitter" (Nick Johnson) out for the year with a badly broken leg, that then lost its starting SS, its "best" pitcher (John Patterson) to injuries and got them to play hard and respectably all season long.He juggled 13 different starting pitchers over the course of the season, a line-up that barely hit 100 HRs in a non-HR friendly ball park and an inconsistent closer. They essentially added no one during the season except what was down on the farm and a few waiver PUs.I agree, Melvin and Hurdle did nice jobs, but Acta should be Manager of the Year, IMHomerOpinion.

A couple moves the last couple days, bringing in Milledge and Dukes.

According to Barry Svrluga of the WaPo:

And the outfield that has been suggested to me by those who would know is Milledge in left, Dukes in center - though he has played more right in the Dominican - and Kearns in right. That leaves Wily Mo Pena on the bench - for now.

Jim Bowden addressed the apparent surplus of outfielders thusly: "I think right now we look at it like we've got four really good young outfielders. ... I think we feel the players will help Manny make his decision on who is going to play. Certainly my experience has been that four outfielders ... all get playing time. Those decisions will be made in spring training, will be made on the baseball field."

He added: "With four young outfielders, if three succeed we're in good shape. If one gets hurt, we're in good shape. ... We feel comfortable with four good young outfielders that are developing."

Users who are viewing this thread