What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do skill position players really have an impact on how their teammates (1 Viewer)

Which correlation do you think is the strongest?

• Positive correlation between QB and RB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Negative correlation between QB and RB

• Positive correlation between WR and WR

• Negative correlation between WR and WR

• All correlations are at or near 0.

• Total voters

SSOG

Here is a list of some of the statements I have seen people make here at FBGs.

#1a) This QB will put up great numbers because he has a strong running game to take the pressure off of him.

#1b) This QB will put up poor numbers because he has a strong running game, and will therefore be the second option.

#2a) This QB will put up great numbers because he has a weak running game, so they'll be passing all day long.

#2b) This QB will put up poor numbers because he has a weak running game, so defenders will sell out vs. the pass.

#3a) This running back will put up great numbers because he has a stud QB to keep the pressure off of him.

#3b) This running back will put up horrible numbers because he has a stud QB, meaning he won't get as many carries.

#4a) This running back will put up great numbers because he has a lousy QB, making him the first option.

#4b) This running back will put up horrible numbers because he has a lousy QB, meaning the other team will sell out against the run.

#5a) This WR will put up great numbers because he has a Pro Bowl WR on the other side taking the pressure off of him.

#5b) This WR will put up horrible numbers because he has a Pro Bowl WR on the other side stealing catches.

Obviously these can't all be true, but I see some variant of these statements over and over and over again. Often I even see one member using BOTH CONTRADICTORY STATEMENTS in different situations. As a result, I figured I'd put it into a poll and see what the majority of the FBGs thought, and then for a guest article I was planning on doing some research and seeing if those beliefs reflected reality, and if they didn't trying to identify situations that would present value as a result.

Without any research, my gut says:

A legitimate passing attack helps a RB, but a coaching philosophy that overemphasizes the pass will hurt the RB's overall numbers.

A legit RB helps a QB more than the QB helps the RB. Rivers is a prime example. While he's a good QB, he benefitted immensely by the Defense focusing on LT. Palmer helps Rudi, but I don't think to the same extent. (just as two examples)

As for the WR / WR assistance, I think it's overrated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread