What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

jamny

Footballguy
That's right, a thread just about New York.

Heading into Prospect Park tomorrow. Any good restaurant recommendations?

Last edited:
Wow. I was blown away by how nice the Park Slope/Prospect Heights area is. I went to High School nearby (Brooklyn Tech) in the 80's and it was pretty run down but now it's awesome there. Great vibe, tons of restaurants and bars. Beautiful brownstones. I would love to live there. Felt like we were in a different city.

Highly recommend a trip there. Just stroll 5th, 6th or 7th Aves and the park itself.

Wow. I was blown away by how nice the Park Slope/Prospect Heights area is. I went to High School nearby (Brooklyn Tech) in the 80's and it was pretty run down but now it's awesome there. Great vibe, tons of restaurants and bars. Beautiful brownstones. I would love to live there. Felt like we were in a different city. Highly recommend a trip there. Just stroll 5th, 6th or 7th Aves and the park itself.
Every time I go to Brooklyn, it always makes me think of San Francisco- in a good way. The scale of things, the cool neighborhoods, the overall vibe. I can't tell you how many of our friends have moved out there- especialy those with families. Now if only the weather was 50s-60s year round like SF too...

Wow. I was blown away by how nice the Park Slope/Prospect Heights area is. I went to High School nearby (Brooklyn Tech) in the 80's and it was pretty run down but now it's awesome there. Great vibe, tons of restaurants and bars. Beautiful brownstones. I would love to live there. Felt like we were in a different city. Highly recommend a trip there. Just stroll 5th, 6th or 7th Aves and the park itself.
Every time I go to Brooklyn, it always makes me think of San Francisco- in a good way. The scale of things, the cool neighborhoods, the overall vibe. I can't tell you how many of our friends have moved out there- especialy those with families. Now if only the weather was 50s-60s year round like SF too...
San Fran was exactly what we were thinking. Maybe Seattle or Vancouver even.

Having grown up in Brooklyn and then moved out to San Francisco for the past 11+ years,I give this comparision a :shock: But I don't plan on moving back east any time soon cuz I'm spoiled by the year-round mild weatherout here. I'll take a few months of rainy wintertime over scraping the ice off my windshield anyday of the week!btw, when in Manhattan, grab a slice of pizza at Joe's on Bleeker and Carmine. :own3d:

I've been all over Europe, Africa, the Middle East and to most big cities in those places. There are a ton of places I can truly say I love visiting, none more than NYC.

I've been all over Europe, Africa, the Middle East and to most big cities in those places. There are a ton of places I can truly say I love visiting, none more than NYC.
I agree. I keep returning to NYC for vacation. I went there in November and already have another trip planned at the end of June. I would love to move there but need to finish my Master's first.

joey said:
El Floppo said:
Having grown up in Brooklyn and then moved out to San Francisco for the past 11+ years,I give this comparision a :popcorn: But I don't plan on moving back east any time soon cuz I'm spoiled by the year-round mild weatherout here. I'll take a few months of rainy wintertime over scraping the ice off my windshield anyday of the week!btw, when in Manhattan, grab a slice of pizza at Joe's on Bleeker and Carmine. :yawn:
My folks were born and raised Brooklynites (Flatbush and Brownsville) before heading out to SF where I was born- they weren't too happy about me heading out here 20+ years ago, but grew to love having an excuse to coming "home".The wife is still bothered about having to get all the travel visas in place to head into Brooklyn, plus all the hassle of having to exchange money is usually the last thing we want to do on a weekend.

I agree. I keep returning to NYC for vacation. I went there in November and already have another trip planned at the end of June. I would love to move there but need to finish my Master's first.
Were you born here? I find an outsiders perspective interesting and find it interesting to hear tourist reactions. Its funny how you say you wanna move here while Im already envisioning moving out of here. Ive lived here my whole life and i often wonder what most tourists are seeing that they find it so interesting, I guess its just native New Yorkers are immune?I always feel the same way whenever i visit another state, everytime i go to Florida i want to move there by the end of the week.

Were you born here? I find an outsiders perspective interesting and find it interesting to hear tourist reactions. Its funny how you say you wanna move here while Im already envisioning moving out of here. Ive lived here my whole life and i often wonder what most tourists are seeing that they find it so interesting, I guess its just native New Yorkers are immune?I always feel the same way whenever i visit another state, everytime i go to Florida i want to move there by the end of the week.
I think I am intrigued by the city... I like the mass transportation -- I grew up outside of Pittsburgh will little or no options of mass transit. I like the pace of the city and diversity of the people. There are a ton of things to do. If I do move there, I don't see myself living there for more than 2 years. Although I think living in a shoe box would get old along with the fact that you don't have a yard or car so it would be a temporary move. It's funny you mention that about Florida -- I have been there several of time on vacation/business and dread going there again for some reason.

That's right, a thread just about New York. Heading into Prospect Park tomorrow. Any good restaurant recommendations?
I was there that day, wish I'd clicked here earlier. Spent the day in Prospect Park (it was beautiful out) and could have given you tons of great restaurant options.

My folks were born and raised Brooklynites (Flatbush and Brownsville) before heading out to SF where I was born- they weren't too happy about me heading out here 20+ years ago, but grew to love having an excuse to coming "home".

The wife is still bothered about having to get all the travel visas in place to head into Brooklyn, plus all the hassle of having to exchange money is usually the last thing we want to do on a weekend.
I always wondered if Flatbush was really like that old Stallone movie... I think it was "Lords of Flatbush." Seemed pretty ShaNaNa'ish. :shrug:

My folks were born and raised Brooklynites (Flatbush and Brownsville) before heading out to SF where I was born- they weren't too happy about me heading out here 20+ years ago, but grew to love having an excuse to coming "home".

The wife is still bothered about having to get all the travel visas in place to head into Brooklyn, plus all the hassle of having to exchange money is usually the last thing we want to do on a weekend.
I always wondered if Flatbush was really like that old Stallone movie... I think it was "Lords of Flatbush." Seemed pretty ShaNaNa'ish. :ph34r:
In the 30s and 40s, not so much of the greaser ShaNaNas going on. Johnny on the Pony, stick-ball, and almost 100% Jewish.And Brownsville was rough, even then. The land of Mike Tyson and Riddick Bowe- just Jewish versions back then. Only time I've ever been there was in 76', when my dad wanted to show us around the old hood. :hot: The tour went really quickly.

I'm pretty sure I'd be entirely happy living in Brooklyn, from the looks of it the last few years; great restaurnats, bars and shops, lots of similar aged peeps- many with kids. Somewhat bigger apt for the buck and good schools for Floppo Jr. It'd take some work getting wifey on board though- she loves the E. village/Lower East Side- has lived in the area for 15 years or so and can't fathom being anywhere else. I don't really blame her, but I do get the Brooklyn love.

Any Astoria/LIC people around? Looks to be the new Brooklyn.

I always wondered if Flatbush was really like that old Stallone movie... I think it was "Lords of Flatbush." Seemed pretty ShaNaNa'ish. :banned:
In the 30s and 40s, not so much of the greaser ShaNaNas going on. Johnny on the Pony, stick-ball, and almost 100% Jewish.And Brownsville was rough, even then. The land of Mike Tyson and Riddick Bowe- just Jewish versions back then. Only time I've ever been there was in 76', when my dad wanted to show us around the old hood. :bag: The tour went really quickly.

I'm pretty sure I'd be entirely happy living in Brooklyn, from the looks of it the last few years; great restaurnats, bars and shops, lots of similar aged peeps- many with kids. Somewhat bigger apt for the buck and good schools for Floppo Jr. It'd take some work getting wifey on board though- she loves the E. village/Lower East Side- has lived in the area for 15 years or so and can't fathom being anywhere else. I don't really blame her, but I do get the Brooklyn love.

Any Astoria/LIC people around? Looks to be the new Brooklyn.
The only catch with LIC is it's still pretty dead. Just a quiet area with not a ton of activity. It isn't bustling and thriving nearly the way Brooklyn is. I looked there before I moved to Brooklyn, because LIC is definitely closer to midtown, but it just wasn't the same.

I think I am intrigued by the city... I like the mass transportation -- I grew up outside of Pittsburgh will little or no options of mass transit. I like the pace of the city and diversity of the people. There are a ton of things to do. If I do move there, I don't see myself living there for more than 2 years. Although I think living in a shoe box would get old along with the fact that you don't have a yard or car so it would be a temporary move. It's funny you mention that about Florida -- I have been there several of time on vacation/business and dread going there again for some reason.
I feel the same way as well. I would love to and plan on living there for a few years but cannot see myself making it permanent.

sorry about this partial thread jack.

My 11 yr old son and I are headed to NYC in late June while my wife and daughter are in London. We're planning on spending parts of two days in Brooklyn.

We're planning on a day at Coney Island since Astroland is closing after this season, followed by a Cyclones game at Keyspan Park. Anybody have any experience with this itinerary, or suggestions about where to eat down there? Is Totonno's pizza worth the trip?

I'm also interested in feedback on the MTA Transit Museum and places to eat near Montague Streets.

Question: Has anyone rented an short term apartment in NYC? If so, how was your exprerience?

I am going there in June (4 nights) and plan to rent an apartment through NY Habitat instead of a hotel room (less $$$ and hopefully, a more NYC feel).

I haven't owned a car since college :confused:Living in a shoebox does suck pretty mightily especially when you need to trek up a few flights of stairs to said shoebox and also have to walk 2 avenues to the nearest subway. I did that for two years when I first moved here, I paid $1500 a month and my apartment could not have been more then 350 s.f. (and that was a 1BR so the rooms were extra tiny), I did sort of have an unofficial deck that I could bbq on, but you had to climb out of a window to get to and was pretty awkward.Once you can afford to upgrade though it gets much better, now I pay $2275 for a 500 s.f. 1 BR (rent went up $75 this year). Seems like a lot, but that shoebox I was living in was going up to $1800 a month (after living there 2 years), at least now I have two elevators and I am a stones throw from every major subway in the city and I can walk to work.

I haven't owned a car since college :goodposting:Living in a shoebox does suck pretty mightily especially when you need to trek up a few flights of stairs to said shoebox and also have to walk 2 avenues to the nearest subway. I did that for two years when I first moved here, I paid $1500 a month and my apartment could not have been more then 350 s.f. (and that was a 1BR so the rooms were extra tiny), I did sort of have an unofficial deck that I could bbq on, but you had to climb out of a window to get to and was pretty awkward.Once you can afford to upgrade though it gets much better, now I pay $2275 for a 500 s.f. 1 BR (rent went up $75 this year). Seems like a lot, but that shoebox I was living in was going up to $1800 a month (after living there 2 years), at least now I have two elevators and I am a stones throw from every major subway in the city and I can walk to work.
I am amazed how much rent prices are. My friend and her husband live on the Upper West Side and pay $875 per month for a 300-400 sq ft apartment. Granted, she also works for a hospital that gives a living stipend. She too, is a Pittsburgh refugee. She said she'd be there for 2 years at the most and has been there for four already. My rent is less than a $1000 but that's Central Ohio rates. I guess I have to remind myself that NYC jobs pay more. Plus, you have no car payment. Although my car payment today isn't much so that wouldn't offset much. I wish there was a list of companies that provide living stipends as a fringe benefit. Is there such a thing besides hospitals?

Don't forget parking, I have heard people have paid $450 a month, you can probably get a spot for $250 but I imagine they are far and few between.

Don't forget parking, I have heard people have paid $450 a month, you can probably get a spot for $250 but I imagine they are far and few between.
oh, i wouldn't take my car to nyc. i am not sure what i would do with it. maybe give it to a family member or a FBG? :goodposting: or store it. not sure. do you have a roommate to help with the rent?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eephus said:
sorry about this partial thread jack.My 11 yr old son and I are headed to NYC in late June while my wife and daughter are in London. We're planning on spending parts of two days in Brooklyn.We're planning on a day at Coney Island since Astroland is closing after this season, followed by a Cyclones game at Keyspan Park. Anybody have any experience with this itinerary, or suggestions about where to eat down there? Is Totonno's pizza worth the trip?I'm also interested in feedback on the MTA Transit Museum and places to eat near Montague Streets.
Coney Island is a great time.. Boardwalk, Nathan's, The Cyclone.. if you have a chance catch a Cyclones game while you ar ethere...MTA transit museum.. never been but the museum puts on an outdoor display during the big Atlantic Antic streetfair. Kinda cool but i'm not sure if it's worth a whole trip.. They bring out a bunch of old buses, trains and subways which is kinda cool but again more to take a quick picture before you buy a bag of zepolis than a full day IMHO..

Alias said:
Bah. Maybe in Manhattan in some ritzier neighborhoods. Depends on where you live. I was able to park for free for three years living in New York. You just have to be resourceful.

Alias said:
Bah. Maybe in Manhattan in some ritzier neighborhoods. Depends on where you live. I was able to park for free for three years living in New York. You just have to be resourceful.
Resourceful in ways other than having to spend hours waiting for the street cleaner to come by? Or resourceful in ways other than living in Manhattan? I've watched my friends with cars spend so much time dealing with moving them around on the street or trying to find parking, it seems worth the $250 and up to get a garage spot somewhere.Of course, I've lived here 20 years and never owned a car, so it's very easy for me to say.

Eephus said:
sorry about this partial thread jack.My 11 yr old son and I are headed to NYC in late June while my wife and daughter are in London. We're planning on spending parts of two days in Brooklyn.We're planning on a day at Coney Island since Astroland is closing after this season, followed by a Cyclones game at Keyspan Park. Anybody have any experience with this itinerary, or suggestions about where to eat down there? Is Totonno's pizza worth the trip?I'm also interested in feedback on the MTA Transit Museum and places to eat near Montague Streets.
Coney Island is a great time.. Boardwalk, Nathan's, The Cyclone.. if you have a chance catch a Cyclones game while you ar ethere...MTA transit museum.. never been but the museum puts on an outdoor display during the big Atlantic Antic streetfair. Kinda cool but i'm not sure if it's worth a whole trip.. They bring out a bunch of old buses, trains and subways which is kinda cool but again more to take a quick picture before you buy a bag of zepolis than a full day IMHO..
Thanks. Cyclones single game tickets go on sale this Sunday morning :doh:

Alias said:
Resourceful in ways other than having to spend hours waiting for the street cleaner to come by? Or resourceful in ways other than living in Manhattan? I've watched my friends with cars spend so much time dealing with moving them around on the street or trying to find parking, it seems worth the $250 and up to get a garage spot somewhere.Of course, I've lived here 20 years and never owned a car, so it's very easy for me to say.
There are some neighborhoods where you simply can't have a car, unless you are paying for a spot. But New Yorkers are resourceful. I have a friend who has a car, she lives on the UES, 1st and 71st, I think. Street cleaning is part of her routine. She grabs her coffee, phone, the Post, and sits it her car. She uses the time well, answering calls and stuff, doing some other stuff for work. She's been doing it for years. The whole thing seems absurd to me, and I did have a car in the city. But I lived in Greenpoint, and on-street parking was easy.

But for her, it was worth it. It was part of her routine, and she also was mobile. Had a few days off? She was gone, down to AC, or to the Hamptons. There's a lot of New Yorkers that rarely leave NYC, it's easy to get stuck in the city.

I loved having a car in the city. I had to learn a lesson about parking tickets and getting towed, to the point that the lady at the Marshal's office knew my face, but once I wised up, it was great. I always disliked the refusal some people had to go anywhere outside their 'zone', because it was too far. If you were in the LES, and someone mentioned a party on the Upper West Side, no one would ever go. Because it was 'too far'. In a car, at night, you're there in less than 15 minutes.

I saw a lot more of NYC because I had a car when I lived there.

Enjoy the last years of New York, because its going to get annihilated by terrorist attacks. Everyone willing to live and work in that city I consider to be very brave, because they are basically surrendering their lives in the hopes of living as a free people. But they are going to die.

Enjoy the last years of New York, because its going to get annihilated by terrorist attacks. Everyone willing to live and work in that city I consider to be very brave, because they are basically surrendering their lives in the hopes of living as a free people. But they are going to die.
:hey: Every party has a pooper and that's why we invited you! Oh wait, you weren't invited... I refuse to let something like this scare me out of doing something that I want to do. :headbang:

Users who are viewing this thread