What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

Great morning at The Father’s Heart

That’s me in pic #5 rocking the “Jesus loves you more than Kanye loves Kanye” shirt
You’re doing great work. Curious, are more or fewer people coming through recently?

Phase 1 and Phase 2 hopefully get a lot of regional economic activity going so many more people can work. Every bit helps. New Yorkers pride themselves on hard work. Just need the opportunity.

Curious, are more or fewer people coming through recently?

Phase 1 and Phase 2 hopefully get a lot of regional economic activity going so many more people can work. Every bit helps. New Yorkers pride themselves on hard work. Just need the opportunity.
pre-Covid

In normal times, we do an all-you-can eat breakfast every Saturday, typically between 650-850; we take the first of each Saturday of each month off, so 40 times a year. The budget is $18K per week. We send them home with two bags of dry goods & one bag of produce, enough to provide 9 meals.

Folks can get food anywhere. Literally. But we’re trying to invest in peoples lives. We sit with our friends and listen. We offer prayer. As we build relationships we try to find ways that we can help them - housing, job training, mental health, public assistance, rehab. We offer ESL classes on site. On a rotating basis we have partners come in from Legal Aid Society, mobile health, NYU Dental, Podiatrists.

When the WHO declared the pandemic & NYC/NYS started taking serious action, we received clearance from the Mayor’s Office to remain open as an essential service. We immediately revamped everything. We decided to not close on the first Saturday of the month but to be open every week.

Instead of 140 Volunteers we made it work with 20. PPE & social distancing for everyone. Grab n Go brown bag breakfast instead of hot meals. We had to discontinue the ESL classes & partner programs. The Food pantry is now one bag of dry goods, no produce, one bag of dairy/frozen.

Our friends are contending with a lot of anxiety. They literally have nowhere to go to shelter-in-place. They’re afraid & frankly people are afraid of them. Closing the subways overnight has been harsh; there are a good 12-15K people sleeping outside every night because they can’t ride trains. They are the epitome of the neediest cases and the most at risk portion of our society.

Anyway, most of our seniors stayed away initially. We typically were serving 240-320 the first 5-6 weeks. More people requesting the prayer team. And when the restaurants closed, the first timers for the food pantry* spiked from 5-10 in normal times to 25-30. Then 35, 50, 60, 70, 80+. We set a new record for first timers 8 straight weeks. Finally it subsided three weeks ago, we have had between 35-50 first timers.

Total guests have been 406, 413 and 381 the last three weeks. In light of the increase we have slowly been allowing volunteers to rejoin (we were mostly using staff & volunteer supervision.) Think we are getting by with 40 or so people now. 

*we keep meticulous records for funding purposes & in case they ever want to audit us; each Food Pantry guest has a unique Father’s Heart ID. most of the first timers fit a profile: male, Hispanic, 20s & 30s, no ID, no habla. those busboys and delivery guys aren’t getting unemployment or stimulus checks.

Anyway, service is a funny thing. A lot of people, myself included, go in thinking “well this will allow me to be a blessing to others.” lol It never works out that way. I get blessed so much it’s ridonkulous. When I see people with train wreck lives being optimistic, positive, upbeat and speaking life into me, I wonder why I ever complain about anything.

I love the people I serve alongside. It’s a family, in the best sense of the word. For a lot of us, it’s not something we do once a week. It’s a lifestyle choice. There is honestly nothing I would rather do, and my dream job would be to leave the corporate world behind and do this full time.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking like we'll be heading back june 15.

while I'm excited to go home, I'm nervous as well- leaving the comfy big house in the comfy wide open neighborhood with a beautiful huge and open beach nearby (assateague, not OC)... don't know what our time in NYC without school or work (at this point) will look like. 4 of us back jammed into our tiny apartment without anywhere to go and without NYC being... NYC. 

FC made a post previously about people leaving... and it listed all the obvious things that I touched on just now. but IIRC, it ignored the reasons people love living in the city- immediate proximity to all these people of different nationalities, races, religions, ages, cultures, ideas. immediate proximity to so much culture- food, drink, arts, theater, music, film, etc. walk out your door and there's no avoiding it. I don't get the sense FC values most of that the way we do- nttawwt- but a month and a half away from it and I'm finding I'm losing my mind at the anticipation of being stuck in this sea of drab sameness, in spite of the bigger/better digs and more covid safe environment. I'm very happy to trade the digs for the culcha... just not sure about the covid. and if the culture's not there, it means we're only really getting our tiny apartment, so...

Night and day difference here in Boise. We went shopping when we got here at 10pm so it was very empty. Barely anyone in masks but people seemed to follow the one way directions in the aisles. Stocked up for the week at least. We went for a walk yesterday along the Greenbelt, which is a path on both sides of the river with parks along much of it. Easy to keep our distance. We saw 2 people with masks. We didnt wear them but we didnt at home either when walking outside, always either walking in the street or crossing the street on the rare occasion someone was coming towards us.

Except for a daily walk we will stay in until probably Friday. On that day, Idaho should be going into Phase 3 which will no longer require people to self isolate when entering the state. We'll probably only eat at places that have outside seating but there are plenty of them.

We had a layover in Dallas and got to sit and have some BBQ and beer at the airport. Minimal prevention there but decent separation. We went from near 100% mask wearers in LaGuardia to maybe 25% in DFW. It was late at Boise airport so no one really around.

I know we are being a little less cautious than in NY but it's still a much needed break to feel a sense of normalcy for a change. 3 weeks here, 2 weeks back then the whole month of July back in Boise.

Night and day difference here in Boise. We went shopping when we got here at 10pm so it was very empty. Barely anyone in masks but people seemed to follow the one way directions in the aisles. Stocked up for the week at least. We went for a walk yesterday along the Greenbelt, which is a path on both sides of the river with parks along much of it. Easy to keep our distance. We saw 2 people with masks. We didnt wear them but we didnt at home either when walking outside, always either walking in the street or crossing the street on the rare occasion someone was coming towards us.

Except for a daily walk we will stay in until probably Friday. On that day, Idaho should be going into Phase 3 which will no longer require people to self isolate when entering the state. We'll probably only eat at places that have outside seating but there are plenty of them.

We had a layover in Dallas and got to sit and have some BBQ and beer at the airport. Minimal prevention there but decent separation. We went from near 100% mask wearers in LaGuardia to maybe 25% in DFW. It was late at Boise airport so no one really around.

I know we are being a little less cautious than in NY but it's still a much needed break to feel a sense of normalcy for a change. 3 weeks here, 2 weeks back then the whole month of July back in Boise.
Enjoy!

I'd say to do the self isolate for 14 days thing, regardless of what Idaho is doing phase-wise. You guys went though high risk areas in the airports and airplanes...better to be safe on your end, imo, than risk being the typhoid Mary NY family.

You have any extra bedrooms?

I just saw a drunk fall off the curb, he was sporting  fresh looking Brian Bosworth #55 Seahawks jersey. So, not much change here.

https://forward.ny.gov/regional-monitoring-dashboard

NYC up to 29% bed capacity, both overall and in the ICU. Seems like it's about time. Believe Long Island previously qualified but it has had it's death increase recently. I presume they're not going to shut things down if a few of these metrics move back to red but suppose that could delay the next steps. 
ICU at 30% now. Cuomo seemed to be moving the goalposts a bit, saying he wants see the numbers in the minority neighborhoods go down. He also has the number of tracers to fall back on to delay opening further. Not sure where  we can find updated stats on the progress of that.

ICU at 30% now. Cuomo seemed to be moving the goalposts a bit, saying he wants see the numbers in the minority neighborhoods go down. He also has the number of tracers to fall back on to delay opening further. Not sure where  we can find updated stats on the progress of that.
Disgusting

jamny said:
I mean phase 1 isn't likely to have a massive impact anyways. Can't imagine there are a lot of manufacturing, forestry, fishing or agriculture in the city. Retail to curbside pick-up. I'd rather they just go ahead and do it now and adapt for phase 2. If phase 2 gets delayed so be it, but would be nice to see some movement forward. 

I mean phase 1 isn't likely to have a massive impact anyways. Can't imagine there are a lot of manufacturing, forestry, fishing or agriculture in the city. Retail to curbside pick-up. I'd rather they just go ahead and do it now and adapt for phase 2. If phase 2 gets delayed so be it, but would be nice to see some movement forward. 
Exactly. There went be much different in Phase 1 so why not give a little after what everyone has been through.

Because he was pretty successful here...would need to look up the stats and achievements, but it was pretty well derided when he was essentially forced out. 
L train revised project finished three months early & they never had to shut it down completely. They used some European method / equipment the MTA hadn’t tried before. Closed it down overnight & ran a single track on weekends. Still better than their first two plans (2 year shutdown & 18 month shutdown, using shuttle buses, et al.)

Byford is very well regarded within the public transportation circle. He only joined MTA in late 2017 so was effectively there for a little over 2 years. I had high hopes for him and I'd say his tenure was mixed. I thought he'd truly change things but some things aren't easy to change. But seems silly to hold Byford accountable for all the problems pre-2018. 

I give Cuomo decent amount of credit for the whole L thing. But Byford did a lot to improve the reliability of the train. Stark contrast to the pols who preferred to build new pretty stations that they could take pictures at. I know Lhotta resigned as well and never really understood what everyone was supposed to do between Cuomo, Byford, Lhotta, and di Blasio. On that, I agree with Cuomo that the MTA lacks accountability. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/nyregion/andy-byford-mta.html

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-cuomo-mta-blow-it-up-20190107-story.html

Long story short, Byford's accomplishments prior to NYC give him the benefit of the doubt. I wish him and Cuomo could have worked better together to harness the power they had but losing him was a loss for the city. 

Alright, time to figure out NYC. This was always going to be the tough one.

How we doing schools?

How we doing public transportation?

How we doing Broadway? Lincoln Center? The museums? Restaurants? MSG? Yankee Stadium?

I think walking on sidewalks and office buildings will be a bit easier. The above though? Time to get imaginative. 

I went to the beach today and watched a spaceship send some astronauts to the International Space Station. Then my kids body surfed on an empty beach as my wife and I enjoyed a few beers and watched them have a blast. They finished the day off collecting shells.

My NYC neighbor sent me videos of protesting with 100s maybe 1000s of people destroying Court St, right in front of my apartment.

We’ve concluded our NYC days are over. Have a friend subletting starting next month. It’s sad, my wife has never lived outside of NYC, I’ve lived in the same apartment for 15 years. If we do have to return to the tristate, it’ll be in the suburbs. 

I went to the beach today and watched a spaceship send some astronauts to the International Space Station. Then my kids body surfed on an empty beach as my wife and I enjoyed a few beers and watched them have a blast. They finished the day off collecting shells.

My NYC neighbor sent me videos of protesting with 100s maybe 1000s of people destroying Court St, right in front of my apartment.

We’ve concluded our NYC days are over. Have a friend subletting starting next month. It’s sad, my wife has never lived outside of NYC, I’ve lived in the same apartment for 15 years. If we do have to return to the tristate, it’ll be in the suburbs. 
I used to live at Court and Schermerhorn. Can't imagine living there now. We're also considering ditching the city and after being here for 11 years it's pretty strange to imagine living anywhere else but we're struggling to find reasons to stay.

Aside from 2 years in Boston for grad school, I've lived in the NYC area for my entire life.  I can't imagine leaving the city outright and probably never will.  However, for the first time in my life I have a strong desire to have someplace to get away to.  A house in the country with a lot of land and privacy and small town/country things to do in the area.  I'm not close to being able to buy something like that, but that's my new goal.  I still can't see leaving the city completely, but I may wind up spending more and more time in a place like that as I get older and get increasingly tired of the grind of the city or if the city really doesn't recover well from this disaster of a time we now live in.

When we bought our place here in Boise in December, I planned on spending my final year in NY going to all my favorite places in the city one last time, even some trips to east coast places like Boston, Philly, Cape Cod, etc. Now it just looks like we'll be packing up much sooner and just going. What a crazy year so far.

I used to live at Court and Schermerhorn. Can't imagine living there now. We're also considering ditching the city and after being here for 11 years it's pretty strange to imagine living anywhere else but we're struggling to find reasons to stay.
Here in the burbs we are seeing FLOODs of folks leaving NYC.  normally we have a lot but now its insane. 

It will take a bit, but the city will be back to more normal soon. I have zero doubt about that.

With everybody leaving, hopefully real estate will drop a bit in case we want to move to a different spot.

Why not bail for HS?
5 years of experience preprofessional ballet. She’s en pointe now and is thinking about making it her livelihood. Whip smart & a great student but if she wants to pursue performing arts we won’t try to persuade her to go to college instead.

She’s only 11, plenty of time to sort it out.

5 years of experience preprofessional ballet. She’s en pointe now and is thinking about making it her livelihood. Whip smart & a great student but if she wants to pursue performing arts we won’t try to persuade her to go to college instead.

She’s only 11, plenty of time to sort it out.
I forget...is she at ballet tech for school, or studying extracurricular? I used to have a bunch of connections with folk at city ballet, from people in the corps to principles. One of them went on to start a dance program at Yale...if you want/need connections (that at this point in her studies, I'm sure you already have)

I forget...is she at ballet tech for school, or studying extracurricular? I used to have a bunch of connections with folk at city ballet, from people in the corps to principles. One of them went on to start a dance program at Yale...if you want/need connections (that at this point in her studies, I'm sure you already have)
She’s in a troupe that is a feeder for NYCB. Next step is to move from preprofessional to Youth Ballet. In 3-4 years we’ll be at a decision point (picking a college or starting professional auditions.) 

She’s in a troupe that is a feeder for NYCB. Next step is to move from preprofessional to Youth Ballet. In 3-4 years we’ll be at a decision point (picking a college or starting professional auditions.) 
I forget the details, but my friend that is at Yale now came up through through their school (school of American ballet?) And my have been coming in from PA for it until she officially joined the company. I understand your daughter's set up now, but my point is- living in the city isnt a requirement for this path...if that's all that's holding you here.

And FYI...city ballet offered a program at the neighboring Fordham campus for dancers to get a college degree. I'm sure ABT has something similar.

I forget the details, but my friend that is at Yale now came up through through their school (school of American ballet?) And my have been coming in from PA for it until she officially joined the company. I understand your daughter's set up now, but my point is- living in the city isnt a requirement for this path...if that's all that's holding you here.
We don’t go to SAB. We considered it, world class organization, but it’s not as nurturing as the one we chose.

The other MAJOR factors are her maternal grandparents and her own connections at Manhattan Plaza. She loves spending time with her grandparents & MP has literally been the center of her world since she was a toddler (resident for 8 years but before that she was in preschool there for 2 years.)

I had to move a couple times in h.s., and it was a disruptive and borderline traumatic. I won’t do that to her.

HS move would be rough. I was thinking move before HS would be easier.

You've obviously thought this through- I was just hearing a tone of being done with the city, and this being the only thing keeping you here.

And FYI...city ballet offered a program at the neighboring Fordham campus for dancers to get a college degree. I'm sure ABT has something similar.
I’m aware of the options.

Some of her slightly older peers (former students or her babysitters) have gone different routes. Homeschooling, beginning their career at 15,. Other girls have taken the “normal” academic path & dance part-time.

It’s a huge commitment to become a professional, it’s not something you dabble in or do on the side. Neither her mother or I push her in any particular direction. We just want her to make an informed choice.

She has exceptional work ethic & personal discipline, she expects a lot out of herself. I just love on her & encourage her. We have serious talks when it’s appropriate - I feel like she has a good foundational understanding of being her authentic best self - but most of time we’re goofing around & laughing a lot.

The path she chooses is not a weighty matter. If she stays in love with ballet then she should do pursue that. But if that wanes or she gets burned out, we’ve told her it’s OK to take time off (she is adamant about staying in the program.)

Either way, I trust her. I think she’ll make a good decision. But for now she just crushes everything in her life, both academics and artistic expression. My job is to keep her safe, provide for her, love her unconditionally and support whatever she does.

HS move would be rough. I was thinking move before HS would be easier.

You've obviously thought this through- I was just hearing a tone of being done with the city, and this being the only thing keeping you here.
No. It’s not, by any means. I love my volunteer life and my community of faith is a huge part of our life.

But I’m gonna be 58 this summer and NYC doesn’t hold the same allure it once did. I like being in the woods. 

A group just tried breaking int Queens Center Mall, not far from my house. Cops managed to break it up

And curfew tonight in NYC at 11pm.

If it wasn't for my wife wanting to be close to family id be the #### out by now. Sadly it seems ill be stuck here forever. 

So on top of all the COVID stuff, now we extend the curfew through next week? Why does it always seem like de Blasio is like five steps behind? Waits too long for COVID then waits too long to instill curfews. Then they overreact. Extend the COVID shutdown too long. Now extending curfews until Sunday? Maybe it will take that long but why not enforce the curfews and then take it day by day? 

Seems like a lot of damage being done to the city, and not just the property kind. No idea when I'm going to come back and not to make it too political but seems telling that we restrict folks from getting together for months then sort of just allow this stuff to happen. 

Users who are viewing this thread