Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***New York***

jamny

On 9/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, shuke said:

Not really up to going through 167 pages.  I haven't been to NYC for over 15 years.  My wife and I will be there a few nights mid-September.  First night is free, we will be staying near Times Square.  I need a list of MUST DOs.  Second night we are staying in financial district and seeing a concert at Pier 17, so looking for restaurant recs near there.

You do this already?

How'd it go?

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

but seriously... interested to hear how it went, what you guys did.

Like I said we had less than 48.  Day one got to hotel, went to Bryant Park for a few drinks, just taking in the sights and sounds.  Then headed to Times Square for a while.  Grabbed dinner at Carmines, which was way too much for two people.  Then decided to get tickets to a show at New York Comedy Club, which I think was down near East Village.  We were going to walk there and go by the Empire State Building but we got turned around and got lost so ended up getting a cab.  After the show, headed back near Times Square, ended up at some Irish pub, then went to Times Square for the midnight minute, which I didn't think much of.  

Next morning went back to Times Square for a bit then headed to southern Manhattan to our other hotel.  Then just walked around a while.  Battery Park to see Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial, Wall Street bull.  Then in the afternoon headed to Pier 17 for the Lord Huron concert.  Afterwards, had some of the best pizza ever.  

Next morning headed to Asbury Park.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, shuke said:

Like I said we had less than 48.  Day one got to hotel, went to Bryant Park for a few drinks, just taking in the sights and sounds.  Then headed to Times Square for a while.  Grabbed dinner at Carmines, which was way too much for two people.  Then decided to get tickets to a show at New York Comedy Club, which I think was down near East Village.  We were going to walk there and go by the Empire State Building but we got turned around and got lost so ended up getting a cab.  After the show, headed back near Times Square, ended up at some Irish pub, then went to Times Square for the midnight minute, which I didn't think much of.  

Next morning went back to Times Square for a bit then headed to southern Manhattan to our other hotel.  Then just walked around a while.  Battery Park to see Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial, Wall Street bull.  Then in the afternoon headed to Pier 17 for the Lord Huron concert.  Afterwards, had some of the best pizza ever.  

Next morning headed to Asbury Park.

Nice- Hope you had a great trip.

But Jfc that's a lot of Times Square in 48 hours.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

and don't get me started on Alpo Carmines

ok dammit... I've been triggered.

@shuke why? WHYYYYYYY!!???

if you came downtown for the comedy show- you could have eaten anywhere. or just ask somebody to throw a metric ton of full garlic cloves into some mushed, oversauced pasta and call it a day. oh- and make sure to sing happy birthday while you're at it. So so so many italian spots here. Carmines :cry:

53 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

ok dammit... I've been triggered.

@shuke why? WHYYYYYYY!!???

if you came downtown for the comedy show- you could have eaten anywhere. or just ask somebody to throw a metric ton of full garlic cloves into some mushed, oversauced pasta and call it a day. oh- and make sure to sing happy birthday while you're at it. So so so many italian spots here. Carmines :cry:

:shrug:  I didn't know.  Just googled what was near and it looked fine. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

For on the uptown 4 train at Union Square. Couple guys without masks, so I move down the car...to even more people without masks. I'm used to an occasional person these days, but not rampant like this.

You should come visit Texas ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Going to see my daughter in New York right before Christmas. Have good tix for Dear Evan Hansen and the Rockettes. Staying at the Hilton on 57th. Need to find some good restaurants and other activities to round out the 4 days. 

Carmines for Italian food...

Seriously, though, if you like Brazilian steakhouse, check out Churrascaria Plataforma for a good restaurant near the Broadway shows.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Going to see my daughter in New York right before Christmas. Have good tix for Dear Evan Hansen and the Rockettes. Staying at the Hilton on 57th. Need to find some good restaurants and other activities to round out the 4 days. 

Hudson Yards has 'The Edge' rooftop thing that has insane views. You can also see The Vessel (closed until they figure out how to suicide-proof it) and shop in the mall and walk the Highline down into Chelsea from there.

Little Island nearby is worth checking out too, if the weather's ok.

Let the Adams era begin.

I was happy with diBlasio at the start. Universal pre-K was huge. Bike lanes. Nice. But then it just felt like he did whatever the hell he wanted thinking it was the will of the people, when it was clearly vanity stuff. I guess it could have gone worse with the pandemic. But not much worse with his handling of the schools.

Hopefully Adams can navigate through this and get stuff done.

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Let the Adams era begin.

I was happy with diBlasio at the start. Universal pre-K was huge. Bike lanes. Nice. But then it just felt like he did whatever the hell he wanted thinking it was the will of the people, when it was clearly vanity stuff. I guess it could have gone worse with the pandemic. But not much worse with his handling of the schools.

Hopefully Adams can navigate through this and get stuff done.

I live in a small town on the West coast.  Our governor has a WAY larger impact than our mayor.  It seems like NYC might be the opposite.  Just curious, and totally non-politcally and with no agenda, is that accurate?

Edited by facook

Just now, facook said:

I live in a small town on the West coast.  Our governor has a WAY larger impact than our mayor.  It seems like NYC might be the opposite.  Just curious, and totally non-politcally and with no agenda, and is that accurate?

I grew up in a small town on the West coast...our mayor was a former brothel owner/prostitute.

NYC Mayor has a huge impact here determining policy. But Governor has a lot of power in the city too, with sometimes competing agendas. Cuomo and diblasio were such children with eachother- totally petty BS.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I grew up in a small town on the West coast...our mayor was a former brothel owner/prostitute.

NYC Mayor has a huge impact here determining policy. But Governor has a lot of power in the city too, with sometimes competing agendas. Cuomo and diblasio were such children with eachother- totally petty BS.

Our mayor was awarded a Purple Heart in Vietnam.  Great dude, essentially volunteered for our city for the last decade.  But day to day the guv dictates WAY more of how our lives go.  Covid certainly a part of that, and my son in public school and my wife working at one being huge parts of that.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:23 PM, massraider said:
On 11/3/2021 at 1:13 PM, jobarules said:

I mean Adams' #1 reason for winning the primary and the election was because hes an ex-cop that will be tough against crime and finally clean up this city. Or did you ignore the last 8 years.

I mean what does this have to do with police supposedly leaving because of vaccination status

I'd be interested in continuing this in the NYC thread, fwiw. 

I see two things having been at work to a visible uptick in broken-window type crimes creeping into daily life:

- after the BLM protests it became very clear the police stopped trying. whether this was an edict from DiB's office or from within their own ranks, I don't know and I don't care- they just stopped being there or doing anything. and I've heard different reports from different "insiders" about the cause. being in the city here, it reminds me of the over-night change that happened in 86' or 87 when the federal law was changed for who was and wasn't provided mental institutions... over night a lot of previously state-housed mental patients were on the streets (at teh exact moment crack hit the city).

- this is purely speculation on my part... covid shutting down in-school learning put a lot of kids essentially on the streets or on their own during the day. it feels like there's been an uptick of gang-related crimes involving kids over the last couple years, including shootings. I think the two are connected- that more kids are getting involved with punk-kid get-off-my-lway behavior, which has been allowed to germinate and grow with the previous lack of police involvement comment. I have no stats or deeper research into this... again, purely speculation.

- when I've looked into bail reform, the data doesn't support an argument one way or the other too much to me. stats are consistent with released at home offenders causing new crimes as they were before the reform... there are just more of them being released, so more crimes even if the percentage remains consistent (around 3%). of course that's no good either... but is it a direct result from bail reform? dunno, but don't think so- especially when these more violent crimes have been on the uptick around the country- including many places where there's been no bail reform. 

that said about the first comment, it felt like a warzone back then in the 80s- you had to be constantly vigilant, or your were going to be punished, no matter where you were or what you were doing.

today is nothing like that. there's a lot more quality of life problems now that might affect my family- a lot to do with homeless and possibly homeless with mental issues- and a lot to do with kids who are so inclined having had a couple years to operate essentially carte-blanche (seems like a lot more gang-on-gang violence than a couple years ago). but I don't worry about my son getting beaten, mugged or killed because he wasn't paying attention, or because of his shoes or because he looked at somebody wrong.

if you're walking down most streets in Manhattan these days (my recent experiences in Brklyn and LIC are limited) my only concern is from a crazy homeless person- still a concern, so need to remain vigilant- but not needing the hyper vigilance that at any second anywhere something bad could come at you. that latter state from the 80s is more like living in a warzone. IMO living here these days is fine, and is like living in any city I've lived in- just be aware of your surroundings, don't be oblivious, and you're fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I'd be interested in continuing this in the NYC thread, fwiw. 

I see two things having been at work to a visible uptick in broken-window type crimes creeping into daily life:

- after the BLM protests it became very clear the police stopped trying. whether this was an edict from DiB's office or from within their own ranks, I don't know and I don't care- they just stopped being there or doing anything. and I've heard different reports from different "insiders" about the cause. being in the city here, it reminds me of the over-night change that happened in 86' or 87 when the federal law was changed for who was and wasn't provided mental institutions... over night a lot of previously state-housed mental patients were on the streets (at teh exact moment crack hit the city).

- this is purely speculation on my part... covid shutting down in-school learning put a lot of kids essentially on the streets or on their own during the day. it feels like there's been an uptick of gang-related crimes involving kids over the last couple years, including shootings. I think the two are connected- that more kids are getting involved with punk-kid get-off-my-lway behavior, which has been allowed to germinate and grow with the previous lack of police involvement comment. I have no stats or deeper research into this... again, purely speculation.

- when I've looked into bail reform, the data doesn't support an argument one way or the other too much to me. stats are consistent with released at home offenders causing new crimes as they were before the reform... there are just more of them being released, so more crimes even if the percentage remains consistent (around 3%). of course that's no good either... but is it a direct result from bail reform? dunno, but don't think so- especially when these more violent crimes have been on the uptick around the country- including many places where there's been no bail reform. 

that said about the first comment, it felt like a warzone back then in the 80s- you had to be constantly vigilant, or your were going to be punished, no matter where you were or what you were doing.

today is nothing like that. there's a lot more quality of life problems now that might affect my family- a lot to do with homeless and possibly homeless with mental issues- and a lot to do with kids who are so inclined having had a couple years to operate essentially carte-blanche (seems like a lot more gang-on-gang violence than a couple years ago). but I don't worry about my son getting beaten, mugged or killed because he wasn't paying attention, or because of his shoes or because he looked at somebody wrong.

if you're walking down most streets in Manhattan these days (my recent experiences in Brklyn and LIC are limited) my only concern is from a crazy homeless person- still a concern, so need to remain vigilant- but not needing the hyper vigilance that at any second anywhere something bad could come at you. that latter state from the 80s is more like living in a warzone. IMO living here these days is fine, and is like living in any city I've lived in- just be aware of your surroundings, don't be oblivious, and you're fine.

I think this is a good summary and the conditions in NYC are way overblown by people who don't live or even go to the city.  

I have two thoughts to add.  The first is that I think bail reform contributed to the issues in the city more than you have indicated but that is just my sense. 

The second issue is I don't like people smoking weed all over the place.  I understand that decriminalization is generally a good thing but you are now permitted to smoke weed in public wherever you can smoke cigarettes.  I personally don't like walking in the park with my kids and seeing people smoking weed all over the place or random people just standing on peoples stoops (including mine) to smoke.  I kind wish that you would get a ticket for that kind of behaviour.    

2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Heading to NYC with the family next week.

Haven't waded through this huge thread before.

If possible, looking for recs to eat in Chinatown (doesn't need to be fancy, just good and authentic).

Wo Hop

eta: downstairs

Edited by jamny
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Apparently some people didn't like the "All-American Christmas" theme with the red, white & blue ornaments.

But looks like the dude who did it appears to just be a disturbed homeless guy, so it probably wasn't actually a political statement.

28 minutes ago, massraider said:

Noticeable increase in amount of crazy/homeless on subway, and in the Lower East Side, where I work.  

Delancey is a mess

yea sadly i feel there is a mental health crisis that covid increased for many people so we are seeing a big increase in homeless/crazy folk on subways and just in the streets. I dont think its only an NYC problem other than say maybe the concentration.  Sad for sure though. 

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Noticeable increase in amount of crazy/homeless on subway, and in the Lower East Side, where I work.  

Delancey is a mess

Maybe because I live in the LES, I'm not seeing a recent increase- feel like it's been about the same the last year or so. I see more on the E train, but that's been ongoing.

But yeah, Delaney and Canal never seem to get better. Although with recent and ongoing luxury developments on both...maybe.

I forget- where do you work? Hotel Chantelle?

8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Maybe because I live in the LES, I'm not seeing a recent increase- feel like it's been about the same the last year or so. I see more on the E train, but that's been ongoing.

But yeah, Delaney and Canal never seem to get better. Although with recent and ongoing luxury developments on both...maybe.

I forget- where do you work? Hotel Chantelle?

Yep. 

That train station at Delancey/Essex, it's a wreck.  

I mean, look. There's an ATM machine, a Dunky's, Popeye's and a methadone clinic within a block. It's Junkie Nirvana. 

soooo, bad example to guage the whole city. But that area is def worse then a few years ago. 

17 minutes ago, massraider said:

Yep. 

That train station at Delancey/Essex, it's a wreck.  

I mean, look. There's an ATM machine, a Dunky's, Popeye's and a methadone clinic within a block. It's Junkie Nirvana. 

soooo, bad example to guage the whole city. But that area is def worse then a few years ago. 

Tbf, I'm not saying you're wrong. Lots more homeless and crazy homeless the last couple years. Coinciding with almost zero police presence since BLM.

My daughter does tennis at a weird indoor spot on 8th Ave between 35-36...weed truck parked right outside, people doing obvious deals on the sidewalk, and lately I've seen people shooting up right on the sidewalk in the open on 35th in front of closed storefronts. That area has always been the pimple on the ### of NYC. But in the last few weeks I've also seen a lot more cops...which is probably just until Christmas...but been seeing more around subways in general especially the last month or two.

A lot of the broken windows stuff I'm seeing creep back in- imo increased police presence would eradicate....not even having to stop and frisk or any of that stuff. Just be out walking a beat as a visual discouragement to the "I'll just ####/shootup/harass right here".

Just thought...I've noticed it with my cyclist friends and me. Used to be, if you saw a cop car you didn't run the light even when totally safe and phalanx of pedestrians we're jaywalking. That sign of disrespect used to be enough to get written up on occasion. Now, with them absent or doing absolutely nothing, we don't have that concern and go whether they're there or not.

Going with Mrs Smails Friday-Tuesday to see our daughter and fiancée. Bought great seats months ago to the Rockettes and Dear Evan Hansen. Daughter is a foodie and took care of dinners. No Carmine’s (though to be fair I did take my teens their 10 years ago). Here’s what she set up. Thoughts? Also, anything else we should do to really get in the Christmas spirit?

Friday- Bowery Meat co (steakhouse in Nolita/ Bowery) 
Saturday- AVRA Madison (Greek in midtown for after rockettes) 
Sunday- llama inn (Peruvian in Williamsburg) 
Monday- Norma in Hell’s Kitchen (our favorite local spot!) for before Dear Evan Hansen

Edited by Judge Smails
  • Like 1

Tee Shirts & flip flops all week, eh fellas?

Went to a pretty cool little thing at BAM last weekend. Ate at the casual Mexican place across the street, Tacombi*. Tasty.

*I think they’re a chain. Sorry, I’ve become my parents.

Conversation with Spike & David Lee at the Gilman Opera House

David - still in Fort Greene, didn’t run away to the UES like some people - is a Unit Still Photographer. Big league guy, has done a ton of films besides 33 of his brothers 35 films.

They just published a coffee table book, “Spike” - has David’s photos from all the films plus the neighborhood & family stuff.

Great story telling. Their dad was a jazz session musician (upright bass) but not especially successful. Momma was the breadwinner. They grew up in a brownstone (purchase price $45K) at 186 Warren. That block in Cobble Hill is 4.5-5M minimum these days, $6M+ if it’s good sized.

Anyway, a little slice…

STORY1 When he was raising seed money to shoot Malcolm X, he went to a bunch of black actors, athletes, business people, celebrities - all bold print names. Last two were ball players. Magic Johnson wrote the biggest check to date. But Spike knew how competitive Jordan is. Kind of let it slip how much the other MJ gave. “How much? #### I can top that.”

STORY2 They shot “She’s gotta have it” right after film school graduation. Two weeks, 12 days. All his friends from NYU & Moorehouse were the crew. All his friends from NYU & Moorehouse are still the crew. That was the pact: One of us makes it, bring everyone else along. Shoestring budget, small grants, actors on deferred payments, family & friend working for free, his dad wrote the score. The fundraising wasn’t enough though.They only had around 1/5th of what they needed.

(at this pint Spike got up and walked to the edge of the stage, beckoning a man from the front row to come over)

“This man is the reason I make films. Went to hIgh school together, public school - in the old neighborhood, Bed-Stuy, before we gentrified Cobble Hill. His mother passed away. There was insurance proceeds. Bought a brownstone. New car. And the rest of us was most of the $175K budget for “She’s Gotta Have It.” Changed my life, forever.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Going with Mrs Smails Friday-Tuesday to see our daughter and fiancée. Bought great seats months ago to the Rockettes and Dear Evan Hansen. Daughter is a foodie and took care of dinners. No Carmine’s (though to be fair I did take my teens their 10 years ago). Here’s what she set up. Thoughts? Also, anything else we should do to really get in the Christmas spirit?

Monday- Norma in Hell’s Kitchen (our favorite local spot!) for before Dear Evan Hansen

sounds great! somebody already burned down the Fox's xmas tree... maybe try to ignite CNN's? 

fwiw- I live a block and a half from Bowery Meat, and it's owned by my best bud from college. we don't eat red meat, so I've never been... but supposed to be really good. I don't know the others (which doesn't mean anything- we don't really go out to eat any more, especially out of the neighborhood). there are couple of roof-top bars in the neighborhood you might want to try after, if it's not too crazy: Mr Purple (Indigo Hotel), The Roof (The Public).

rockefeller center is still fun to see the tree and skating, although always packed to the gills. 

I think Gian asked about Governor's island... we're going this weekend for some kind of winter festival that includes ice-skating (if it's cold enough). it's a nice spot with great, unique views... but more about walking around/picnicking IME.

I still like the Highline for walking around- and imagine Chelsea Market has a bunch of xmas stuff going, food and otherwise. Little Island might as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

sounds great! somebody already burned down the Fox's xmas tree... maybe try to ignite CNN's? 

fwiw- I live a block and a half from Bowery Meat, and it's owned by my best bud from college. we don't eat red meat, so I've never been... but supposed to be really good. I don't know the others (which doesn't mean anything- we don't really go out to eat any more, especially out of the neighborhood). there are couple of roof-top bars in the neighborhood you might want to try after, if it's not too crazy: Mr Purple (Indigo Hotel), The Roof (The Public).

rockefeller center is still fun to see the tree and skating, although always packed to the gills. 

I think Gian asked about Governor's island... we're going this weekend for some kind of winter festival that includes ice-skating (if it's cold enough). it's a nice spot with great, unique views... but more about walking around/picnicking IME.

I still like the Highline for walking around- and imagine Chelsea Market has a bunch of xmas stuff going, food and otherwise. Little Island might as well.

No food at Little Island right now.  But also no reservation required.  It's just awesome.  Love that place.  String that together in the morning with High Line and hit Chelsea market for lunch.   

11 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

No food at Little Island right now.  But also no reservation required.  It's just awesome.  Love that place.  String that together in the morning with High Line and hit Chelsea market for lunch.   

are there any holiday things up there?

are the drink trucks at least still open? good cocktails...

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

are there any holiday things up there?

are the drink trucks at least still open? good cocktails...

All the food trucks are locked down for winter.  There was nothing holiday like on Sunday.  They may have things scheduled.  I bet it's a good place to see a show.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Going with Mrs Smails Friday-Tuesday to see our daughter and fiancée. Bought great seats months ago to the Rockettes and Dear Evan

Hansen

. Daughter is a foodie and took care of dinners. No Carmine’s (though to be fair I did take my teens their 10 years ago). Here’s what she set up. Thoughts? Also, anything else we should do to really get in the Christmas spirit?

Monday- Norma in Hell’s Kitchen (our favorite local spot!) for before Dear Evan

Hansen

Mrs. Smails is a hip chick.  

• Like 1