What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

Trip cancelled. Daughter and fiancée were with another couple most of Monday. They just tested positive. Spiking everywhere. And not comfortable with Pfizer vs Omicron.  Would put Christmas Eve in jeopardy with extended family when we get back. So will wait. Sucks. 
Man, this was such a smart decision. 

It does feel that way.  Everyone I work with in NY seems to have it now.   The difference?  All of them were vaccinated and none are hospitalized.   Big contrast to April 2020 (when two of my closest friends in NY almost died from Covid).

Be safe y’all.

this is the one thing about what's going on right now that gives me some hope. the Spanish Flu of 1918-20 mutated several times and eventually weakened to the point it was no longer a threat. I think that's a possible out here. sincerely hope that omicron - or whatever the next variant is called - will be weakened enough it no longer poses a serious health risk.

triple vax is probably helping us from overwhelming the health care system, but i]t's a bit discouraging knowing I'm still likely to contract it again if I keep venturing out as I must. I had a mile case April 2020 and thankfully am not experiencing long-COVID. little freaked out I might not be as fortunate next time.

30% of my company has tested positive in the last two weeks despite everyone being vaxxed and most being boosted.  I've dodged it so far, knock wood.  
Floppinha just this second tested Positive at home after a low grade fever, sore throat, sneezing and feeling tired the last couple days. I'm on my way to getting tested (to keep the at-home kits for the kids). I think I have it too- same issues, along with some tightness in the chest (I have an asthma variant).

Eta... She's double vaxed and feeling ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the one thing about what's going on right now that gives me some hope. the Spanish Flu of 1918-20 mutated several times and eventually weakened to the point it was no longer a threat. I think that's a possible out here. sincerely hope that omicron - or whatever the next variant is called - will be weakened enough it no longer poses a serious health risk.

triple vax is probably helping us from overwhelming the health care system, but i]t's a bit discouraging knowing I'm still likely to contract it again if I keep venturing out as I must. I had a mile case April 2020 and thankfully am not experiencing long-COVID. little freaked out I might not be as fortunate next time.
The science says that the odds are in your favor.  Haven't heard a vaxxed person getting Omicron and having anything but mild symptoms.  I'm sure it can happen, but it appears to be very, very rare.

The science says that the odds are in your favor.  Haven't heard a vaxxed person getting Omicron and having anything but mild symptoms.  I'm sure it can happen, but it appears to be very, very rare.
sounds like we have different news feeds, which seems common theses days.

it was widely reported last week the first omicron death was a Houston man who was reinfected despite being vaxxed and boosted. which sounds like me - had it, vaxxed, boosted.

I keep reading about various “new study” or “major study”; when I drill down I find the science is preliminary. are there any peer reviewed studies or models?

sounds like we have different news feeds, which seems common theses days.

it was widely reported last week the first omicron death was a Houston man who was reinfected despite being vaxxed and boosted. which sounds like me - had it, vaxxed, boosted.

I keep reading about various “new study” or “major study”; when I drill down I find the science is preliminary. are there any peer reviewed studies or models?

Looks like the guy was unvaxxed.  But did have it previously.   Also had pre-existing conditions. 

Weather and Covid combined caused my trip to be cancelled.   Probably for the best.

Seattle airport had the most flight cancellations  of any airport in the world.   Way to go, SeaTac!

Is she done with school?

this has been a strange time in the city...too bad she didn't get to experience the place in more normal times.
She came post college.  Got a job in the city.  First year was great.  Visited her there, went to some great restaurants, ended up hanging with Dave Attell at the Comedy Cellar, etc.  Just not enough of those great days the last 2 years.  I think the cancellation of the Christmas trip and the spikes was the nail in the coffin.  Plus, she's getting married and NYC is not the place they want to settle down in anyway.

She came post college.  Got a job in the city.  First year was great.  Visited her there, went to some great restaurants, ended up hanging with Dave Attell at the Comedy Cellar, etc.  Just not enough of those great days the last 2 years.  I think the cancellation of the Christmas trip and the spikes was the nail in the coffin.  Plus, she's getting married and NYC is not the place they want to settle down in anyway.
ah- I thought she or the fiance was doing post-grad work here.

Got back yesterday from a week in NY and my wife had cold symptoms last night and today. We both had covid in January. Can't find any tests here in Boise so we'll just wait it out but I would like to confirm if its omicron just to know. Hopefully we didn't give it to my MiL on Monday. She just finished chemo and is getting radiation in early January.

jobarules said:
Yeah NYC sucks right now
I finally got to say "It's a nice place to visit, but..." :lmao:

As a lifelong Queens resident, I'll always love NYC but am so happy to have made the move to get out. 

Jan. 13, 2022

The median rent in Manhattan reached nearly $3,400 in December, the highest price ever recorded for the typically sleepy month, but slowing lease activity citywide suggests a gradual return to prepandemic norms, according to new market reports.

The median net-effective rent, which includes price concessions from landlords, was $3,392 in December, 21 percent higher than the same time a year ago, and the highest price recorded in the month since at least 2010, when these numbers began to be tracked in New York City, according to the brokerage Douglas Elliman. (The highest median rent was reached in April 2020, when it peaked at $3,540 a month.)

But new signed leases, a measure of demand, were down almost 39 percent from the same time last year, to 3,335 from 5,459, when a rush of mostly affluent renters began returning to the city amid rising vaccination rates, said Jonathan J. Miller, an appraiser and the author of the report.

If only we had a laughing emoji like button for to respond with here…

Also, sorry for dragging the average down.

Went to Wicked at the Gershwin Theatre tonight. Great show. The two leads are fantastic.

Easy parking at the adjacent garage, little to no traffic. Good times.
An old long time neighbor in the building has been in the ensemble for that since it opened. I never took him up on his offer for tickets...the family ended up seeing it without me. 

We're seeing Six tomorrow night. Fingers crossed for no covid whammies.

4 cops shot in one week. 1 dead another in grave condition. The city is a #### hole now. Add all the restrictions in place and I'm ready to move.

4 cops shot in one week. 1 dead another in grave condition. The city is a #### hole now. Add all the restrictions in place and I'm ready to move.
The next six months will be important and interesting to see how/what Adams does with policing. It can't get much worse than it's been the last bunch of years with DiBlasio...even with the slight uptick of presence since the holidays.

The next six months will be important and interesting to see how/what Adams does with policing. It can't get much worse than it's been the last bunch of years with DiBlasio...even with the slight uptick of presence since the holidays.
:goodposting: They need to get crime and subway safety under control before anything else. How they address the mentally ill and substance addicted homeless will also be pivotal. Tourism won't recover completely until then. Gotta stop the corporate and residential exodus too. It's going to be a tough and challenging 10-20 years.

I need to go to NYU in April for a couple days and then again in August for about a week.  Any suggestions on a hotel?  Just need something decent and close.

I need to go to NYU in April for a couple days and then again in August for about a week.  Any suggestions on a hotel?  Just need something decent and close.
The downtown campus?

My mom goes to a place called Incentra Village. Low key spot in the W Village,w/ little kitchenette in the room and right around the corner from Corner Bistro (historically named best burger in NYC). It's a little walk to Washington Square Park and NYU, but not bad.

There's the Standard or Bowery Hotels that are closer, a little east and more upscale. Or iirc there's a Washington Square Hotel right on, or just off the park (don't know that one)

The downtown campus?

My mom goes to a place called Incentra Village. Low key spot in the W Village,w/ little kitchenette in the room and right around the corner from Corner Bistro (historically named best burger in NYC). It's a little walk to Washington Square Park and NYU, but not bad.

There's the Standard or Bowery Hotels that are closer, a little east and more upscale. Or iirc there's a Washington Square Hotel right on, or just off the park (don't know that one)
April is an orientation thing for Tisch.  August is move-in, and she doesn't have a dorm assignment yet, but yeah the downtown campus. 

April is an orientation thing for Tisch.  August is move-in, and she doesn't have a dorm assignment yet, but yeah the downtown campus. 
See...this other guy I know named Fish has a kid going there too...

Tisch is on Broadway...the standard (east village) or bowery probably your best bets.

Yeah, I used to live across from the Standard and it's a quick walk to Tisch (5-10 mins).  Prices are generally better than Bowery Hotel but both can get pricey.  You could also find some nice Air BnBs in the EV/WV/Soho area if you want a more neighborhood vibe at a discounted rate.  

A year ago my Coned bill was at 10.8460¢/kWh. My latest bill is at 18.7050¢/kWh. Everyone seeing this?

nothing?

mentioned it in the Coronavirus thread, but just got notice that our NYC private school will be mask-optional starting tomorrow.

I don't think my son knows what a single one of his classmates actually looks like.
My son’s school is doing the same. We told him he could do whatever he wants and think he will actually keep the mask on. 

My son’s school is doing the same. We told him he could do whatever he wants and think he will actually keep the mask on. 
same here

seems every kid I’ve heard talking about it is cool either way, whatever you’re comfortable with that’s cool

8th graders

my girl is gonna keep hers on, has quite the collection of homemade ones to match whatever she’s wearing. basically a fashion accessory.

ETA Chelsea Lab aka Lab School for Collaborative Studies MS

same here

seems every kid I’ve heard talking about it is cool either way, whatever you’re comfortable with that’s cool

8th graders

my girl is gonna keep hers on, has quite the collection of homemade ones to match whatever she’s wearing. basically a fashion accessory.

Same- up to floppinho what he wants to do. I have a feeling he'll play it by ear and go with the crowd. Considering he's boosted and had Covid over the holidays, I have next to no concern about him getting it for a while. 

I know the street person dude who was murdered

He's been on that specific stretch of Murray Street next to Chipotle for years. He's even in the Google Maps shot.

A serial killer is targeting homeless people. There is probably no connection at all to the visceral hatred of street people the media has been fomenting throughout the pandemic. Right? I mean that would be truly awful.

@El Floppo

@otb_lifer

it was way worse back in the day, right? I relocated here in the dot com era, 5+ years after broken windows started kicking squeegee men.

Just seems like it's been one heinous act after another throughout the last half of the pandemic.

I know the street person dude who was murdered

He's been on that specific stretch of Murray Street next to Chipotle for years. He's even in the Google Maps shot.

A serial killer is targeting homeless people. There is probably no connection at all to the visceral hatred of street people the media has been fomenting throughout the pandemic. Right? I mean that would be truly awful.

@El Floppo

@otb_lifer

it was way worse back in the day, right? I relocated here in the dot com era, 5+ years after broken windows started kicking squeegee men.

Just seems like it's been one heinous act after another throughout the last half of the pandemic.

back in the late 70s, which is when i started to read the paper every day, there were upwards of 2,000+ murders every year ... then the crack epidemic hit in the mid 80s, and that skyrocketed to 3,000+ 

what i most recall was that the great majority were drug related or comitted during robberies ... so hard to track, of course, but they were mostly crimes of opportunity with cataclysmic collateral damage. 

but there is an air of gratuitous depravity out there now ... much more random and senseless, though the City always had it's fair share, it seems like the tables have tilted much more in that direction lately. 

spent the turn of the 70s/early 80s up on w48th, betw 10th/11th ... that 'hood always had a much more ramshackle feel to it, especially when austerity measures were cut due to budgetary concerns - and just about everbody we knew had a family member who od'd, or was killed in some gang/drug related instance.  it was quite a hellish planet, but ... again, if one stayed outta those circles, one was usually ok, as long as they knew the streets.  mind you, this is my very early teen years back at that time. 

it's getting ugly again, some of the #### i'm reading of is just insane - same as it was, making a comeback. 

my condolences on your friend's tragic and senseless killing - no words as to wtf we're seeing with that case. 

Peak was 2,245 murders (1990) but the overall point is spot on - the rate dropped 87% between Dinkins and 2017 (292 murders.) It has crept up every year since, 488 in 2021 (only one crude method for measuring crime in the city.)

spent the turn of the 70s/early 80s up on w48th, betw 10th/11th ... that 'hood always had a much more ramshackle feel to it, especially when austerity measures were cut due to budgetary concerns - and just about everbody we knew had a family member who od'd, or was killed in some gang/drug related instance.  it was quite a hellish planet, but ... again, if one stayed outta those circles, one was usually ok, as long as they knew the streets.
Spent nine years in Hell's Kitchen, my nanny lived on that block. My daughter still lives at Manhattan Plaza. Heard plenty of stories from the old timers when I was there (2008-17), it was def unlike anything I have ever seen. Posh af these days.

Appreciate you giving your perspective. Trying hard to not be a get off my lawn curmudgeon but I find what's been going on to be jarring, even though my Brooklyn hoods are pretty much safer than Disney.

Probably a big part of my anxiety is my 13 year old is Asianed and commutes by herself everyday to west Chelsea and back. She's been a city kid her whole life and pretty aware of her surroundings, but this hate crime #### is so random. She a tiny girl and I worry about her. 

Peak was 2,245 murders (1990) but the overall point is spot on - the rate dropped 87% between Dinkins and 2017 (292 murders.) It has crept up every year since, 488 in 2021 (only one crude method for measuring crime in the city.)

Spent nine years in Hell's Kitchen, my nanny lived on that block. My daughter still lives at Manhattan Plaza. Heard plenty of stories from the old timers when I was there (2008-17), it was def unlike anything I have ever seen. Posh af these days.

Appreciate you giving your perspective. Trying hard to not be a get off my lawn curmudgeon but I find what's been going on to be jarring, even though my Brooklyn hoods are pretty much safer than Disney.

Probably a big part of my anxiety is my 13 year old is Asianed and commutes by herself everyday to west Chelsea and back. She's been a city kid her whole life and pretty aware of her surroundings, but this hate crime #### is so random. She a tiny girl and I worry about her. 

i have a case of "misremembering" here, 'cuz i could've sworn we were hitting 3,000+ murders at the apex (mid 80s).

i have two long time biz associates who were two of the pioneering gay men who gravitated to the Kitchen, many followed after being priced outta Chelsea/Village, etc ... the first signs of a 'hood changing is always the artists, bohos, gays settling in - gentrification then usually swallows them up, as the strides and improvements they bought about make the area more desirable ... then the property spikes hit.  those left behind either invested in their properties, or still cling to what remnants of rent control are left. 

when my mom finally got out from under us 4 boys, she moved into the Strand, which was nothing less that a monolithic oddity for that part of the area ... she stayed for awhile, finally leaving in the late 90s - man, the stories from that joint and the Market Diner (where she had breakfast or lunch nearly every day).

i share your concerns for your young one ... this recent spate of hate crimes (and thank you for calling it like it is) reminds me of the ugliness of the Korean store boycott, most notably the Red Apple in Flatbush, from the Dinkins era - one of the City's ugliest racial periods ... with Sharpton and Sonny Carson front and center. 

Peak was 2,245 murders (1990)

at the apex (mid 80s).

I got here in 86, I think the year crack took hold as well as the year the Reagan admin altered legislation regarding who should be institutionalized. That convergence of brutal turf war and desperately addictive drug with previously watched after and housed massive population of people now on the streets made the city (from my memory) turn overnight into a Fellini wild west. And it only got worse heading to 90.

For my perspective- not looking at statistics- it was far worse than now; the violence and crime was everywhere, leaving you to either be hyper-vigilant or get punished. Your head was on a swivel and you knew if you left something anywhere that wasn't bolted down, it was gone. "Dissing" somebody by looking at them wrong or getting attacked for your shoes or in a gang initiation...that #### felt omnipresent in those years.

But yeah, I'm seeing of the random elements of crime and particularly violent crime creeping back in similar ways, IMHO, exacerbated by the police dept essentially disappearing for the last few years (whether by their own or likely diblasios decree- I don't care...they just stopped) and allowing crime to creep and escalate, emboldening wrongdoers to move the line of what's acceptable further and further.

but tbh it still feels far more like the Disneyland days of Bloomberg than than the the wild west days of Dinkins.

Being aware of people and place is key...something I've also tried to integrate into my kids brains. But I've been doing it more from of civility standpoint- don't be a selfish, thoughtless ####### when you're roaming around the city. Only lately has that turned back into being aware of people from a safety standpoint- being aware every time you walk into the building that nobody's following, on the subway platform of people not acting right or moving towards you, etc.

But having to be aware because of their racial background...ugh, gb- completely sickening and infuriating you guys have to deal with that. I honestly can't imagine.

People want to hate on Sharpton for making every on-black incident overblown...but I hope that everybody is finally seeing why he and others had to do that ####.

People want to hate on Sharpton for making every on-black incident overblown...but I hope that everybody is finally seeing why he and others had to do that ####.
Don't want to take us too far on this rabbit trail but it always slays me how quick people are to employ association, or ad hominem, or bulverism bc they don't have element one to discuss about the actual issues.

no, full stop on Rev Al.

plenty of ways to be force for civil rights WITHOUT the Tawana Brawley/Korean boycott, not to mention the Freddy's "white interlopers" bull#### which led directly to 8 deaths.

and black on _ crime is a pretty big problem too - whether it's comfy to say or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread