What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (2 Viewers)

Pacquiao beating the crap out of another 130 pounder for 12 rounds... he never goes down.

Seriously - Barrera was a punching bag the whole fight, still couldn't knock him out.

No way a featherweight hurts an athletic guy 9 inches, 90-100lbs bigger.

Getting settled in my new job, starting to think about pursuing this adventure again.
Don't do this. I cannot stress the degree to which you're underestimating these guy's ability to take a punch. And probably overestimating your own. You will get hurt. Just trust me, seriously. An elite featherweight would mop the ring with you. It is a blow to an ego maybe to admit that reality when you outweigh the guy by 95 pounds. But trust me.J
Why are people still talking like ego ever had anything to do with this? Never did, never will. Fortunate for me I guess that the things I do base my ego on (family, friends, career) provide plenty of ammo for my mancard.
If the boxer wanted to, you would literally die in the ring. That is, if he doesn't get bored from bashing your face in for an hour.Good luck though. Make sure somebody records it and knows how to upload to youtube. :thumbup:
Please re-read the thread. You are assuming a lot... for starters the idea that I would box a boxer.I would spar a midget boxer to find out what it is like, but if it were a fight - obviously not the plan.
Do you have any other sort of hand-to-hand training? BJJ, wrestling, Muay Thai, Western Kickboxing, etc?
Read thread - very minimal but yes.
:lol: 13 pages

Pacquiao beating the crap out of another 130 pounder for 12 rounds... he never goes down.

Seriously - Barrera was a punching bag the whole fight, still couldn't knock him out.

Getting settled in my new job, starting to think about pursuing this adventure again.
Don't do this. I cannot stress the degree to which you're underestimating these guy's ability to take a punch. And probably overestimating your own. You will get hurt. Just trust me, seriously. An elite featherweight would mop the ring with you. It is a blow to an ego maybe to admit that reality when you outweigh the guy by 95 pounds. But trust me.J
Funny, all the reasons you give him to not do it, are the reasons I say, DO IT!The fact that you weigh more has NO BEARING on the amount of shock your head is going to take when a good boxer starts walloping you.

Is that 90-100 pounds all padding in your skull?
Those midgets would never be able to reach his skull. They would lose all of their kinetic energy while having to jump in order to punch him. :devilsadvocate:

Alright lazy bastages. recap:

Thread started by shady asking the question. I stated my opinions, others stated theirs. I volunteered to find out. This is not an ego thing... I am truly curious, so what the hell.

Me - Father taught boxing as teen (he boxed/karate in school)). Submission training (mostly wrists) - whole life from father. Aikido - couple years again as teen. Athletics - several sports in high-school. Track, tennis, bball, soccer. Offers to play college tennis, bball.

Age - 31, good shape (past my peak though), play in competitive (mostly ex college/pro) bball league. 6'2"/3" 220lbs.

Opponent - obviously hypothetically my claims are aimed atanyone that would qualify as a featherweight, in a street fight. In reality, after a conversation with a guy at my gym that is involved in boxing, I am not sure there is any way it would ever happen (me officially boxing a guy that much smaller than me). He described it as a no-win situation.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :yes:

Thread started by shady asking the question. I stated my opinions, others stated theirs. I volunteered to find out. This is not an ego thing... I am truly curious, so what the hell.

Me - Father taught boxing as teen (he boxed/karate in school)). Submission training (mostly wrists) - whole life from father. Aikido - couple years again as teen. Athletics - several sports in high-school. Track, tennis, bball, soccer. Offers to play college tennis, bball.

Age - 31, good shape (past my peak though), play in competitive (mostly ex college/pro) bball league. 6'2"/3" 220lbs.

Opponent - obviously hypothetically my claims are aimed atanyone that would qualify as a featherweight, in a street fight. In reality, after a conversation with a guy at my gym that is involved in boxing, I am not sure there is any way it would ever happen (me officially boxing a guy that much smaller than me). He described it as a no-win situation.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :thumbup:
So have you backed down from this stance?
I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.

I would give myself good odds with the likes of Pacquiao.

Last edited by a moderator:

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :P
So have you backed down from this stance?
I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.

I would give myself good odds with the likes of Pacquiao.
Not for a second.

Didn't I start some thread like this where I wasn't actually serious? Except the difference w/ this guy's is that he is?

As a guy about your size, and probably in similar shape, here's my advice:

1) Assault the little ###### at the opening bell. I mean fight borderline dirty - trap him in a corner as best you can and just start firing huge haymakers...you're gonna take a jab or seven, but deal with it. IF you get lucky..one or two will sneak through or slow him down - maybe you'll get lucky and stun him.

2) After about thirty-forty seconds, if you haven't killed him...fall down.

As a guy about your size, and probably in similar shape, here's my advice:1) Assault the little ###### at the opening bell. I mean fight borderline dirty - trap him in a corner as best you can and just start firing huge haymakers...you're gonna take a jab or seven, but deal with it. IF you get lucky..one or two will sneak through or slow him down - maybe you'll get lucky and stun him.2) After about thirty-forty seconds, if you haven't killed him...fall down.
:goodposting: :goodposting:

Not for a second.
Okay, so what we're dealing with is you and Pacman in a one-on-one street fight?What is your plan of attack? Bull rush him and hope he doesn't decide to get out of the way?
Nope. He will have to lunge/leap to hit me... his inability to knockout a 130 pounder after 300+ connections tells me I can probably take an over-extended swing and grab him... any part of him.My strategy would be similar to a dog with a ragdoll at that point.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :hey:
Ok. #1. You say we're not understanding the point. What is the point? Explain it to us.

#2. For opponent, you're saying elite level MMA guy for a "street fight"? What are you calling street fight? Like a real street fight in the bar parking lot?

Or a MMA type fight in a ring?

J

Not for a second.
Okay, so what we're dealing with is you and Pacman in a one-on-one street fight?What is your plan of attack? Bull rush him and hope he doesn't decide to get out of the way?
Nope. He will have to lunge/leap to hit me... his inability to knockout a 130 pounder after 300+ connections tells me I can probably take an over-extended swing and grab him... any part of him.My strategy would be similar to a dog with a ragdoll at that point.
So you think a world caliber boxer is going to be stupid enough to lunge for your head, putting himself in the worst possible circumstance, instead of dancing and chopping the metaphorical tree down by working your body and circling until you tire out?What makes you think he'll play to your strengths? I don't know you, but I feel that Manny has a far deeper understanding of the basic principals of exchange in a fight than you do. He does fight for a living you know.

As a guy about your size, and probably in similar shape, here's my advice:1) Assault the little ###### at the opening bell. I mean fight borderline dirty - trap him in a corner as best you can and just start firing huge haymakers...you're gonna take a jab or seven, but deal with it. IF you get lucky..one or two will sneak through or slow him down - maybe you'll get lucky and stun him.2) After about thirty-forty seconds, if you haven't killed him...fall down.
:bag: :pickle:
FWIW, I'm 6'3"-ish - 210...and I'm not entirely sure I would do well against a few professional WOMEN boxers.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :bag:
Ok. #1. You say we're not understanding the point. What is the point? Explain it to us.

#2. For opponent, you're saying elite level MMA guy for a "street fight"? What are you calling street fight? Like a real street fight in the bar parking lot?

J
It isn't about me being a badass... that is the point. I don't claim to have skills, but I also don't think I'm helpless.The debate is over opinions on whether or not a 5'6" 125 pound guy is invincible (the majority), or if I would be able to use my advantages against him (mine and a few others).

As for location of fight - it has gone all over the board. Regardless, for me personally - I think I could take em.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :cry:

J
It isn't about me being a badass... that is the point. I don't claim to have skills, but I also don't think I'm helpless.The debate is over opinions on whether or not a 5'6" 125 pound guy is invincible (the majority), or if I would be able to use my advantages against him (mine and a few others).

As for location of fight - it has gone all over the board. Regardless, for me personally - I think I could take em.
But this 5'6 / 125 # guy is an elite level MMA guy, right?J

Not for a second.
So you think a world caliber boxer is going to be stupid enough to lunge for your head, putting himself in the worst possible circumstance, instead of dancing and chopping the metaphorical tree down by working your body and circling until you tire out?What makes you think he'll play to your strengths? I don't know you, but I feel that Manny has a far deeper understanding of the basic principals of exchange in a fight than you do. He does fight for a living you know.
Of course he wouldn't play to my strengths... but that goes both ways. And I don't see where I ever claimed to have superior fight knowledge over a pro fighter.. link?

It isn't about me being a badass... that is the point. I don't claim to have skills, but I also don't think I'm helpless.The debate is over opinions on whether or not a 5'6" 125 pound guy is invincible (the majority), or if I would be able to use my advantages against him (mine and a few others). As for location of fight - it has gone all over the board. Regardless, for me personally - I think I could take em.
I don't feel that he's invincible it's just that after boxing for a couple years now, I'm starting to realize the deviation in skill between a world champion boxer and a guy that weighs 90 pounds more than a world champion boxer is a lot more than people realize.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :cry:

J

Whoever. But the majority of discussion somehow tunneled to me vs Pacquiao.

It isn't about me being a badass... that is the point. I don't claim to have skills, but I also don't think I'm helpless.

The debate is over opinions on whether or not a 5'6" 125 pound guy is invincible (the majority), or if I would be able to use my advantages against him (mine and a few others).

I don't feel that he's invincible it's just that after boxing for a couple years now, I'm starting to realize the deviation in skill between a world champion boxer and a guy that weighs 90 pounds more than a world champion boxer is a lot more than people realize.
The other part of this thread you guys are ignoring is the part where I could be wrong. This is why I want to find out.

Dude, it would be completely awful if you decided to fight a skilled MMA practitioner. Royce Gracie beating up a bunch of bar room brawlers that outweighed him by 80-90 pounds in the first UFC's ring a bell?

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :goodposting:

J

Let's just go with an elite level MMA guy if it's going to be a street fight. If you want to make it Pacquiao, make it a boxing match.I'm back to the original though, given what you've said about yourself, an elite level MMA guy would absolutely destroy you. If what you said is true about your dad teaching stuff, I'm beginning to think this is just a huge fishing trip on your part.

J

Not for a second.
:goodposting:

I am your size (6'2", 225lbs) and I have had this debate with friends many times.I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.It would be like fighting a fourth grade boxer.
:lmao:
:goodposting: I just consider it common sense. It is why weight classes exist.
Where do you believe your cutoff is? Do you think you could beat Mayweather? You've got over 75 lbs. on him. How about Ricky Hatton at 140? And are you talking about just in boxing?
Talking a straight fight. I would be allowed to use the advantages my size and reach gives me.I'm not trying to be macho - I'm just saying. I don't think it is a stretch at all...ETA - no idea where the cutoff would be. Huge difference though from a 5'1" 125lb to a 5'8/9" 150lb. guy. The question was about featherweights.. so I will stick to that.
You know I used to think this way UNTIL.A buddy of mine in college was on the boxing team at his old school - he transferred to our college his sophmore year. While playing an intramural basketball game we got in a fight with the other team - things died down. This guy was about 5'7 weighed in about 165. This big dude came after him after the game, next thing we know big dude is lying on the ground with a bloody face. To this day that was the fastest 3 punches I have ever seen up close.But this guy is obviously not the 125 pound featherweight posed originally.

It isn't about me being a badass... that is the point. I don't claim to have skills, but I also don't think I'm helpless.

The debate is over opinions on whether or not a 5'6" 125 pound guy is invincible (the majority), or if I would be able to use my advantages against him (mine and a few others).

The other part of this thread you guys are ignoring is the part where I could be wrong. This is why I want to find out.
This is not going to be worth finding out for you. Save yourself the ligaments and just trust us... :goodposting: J

I think that's the part I've been focusing on.If you really want to fight just go to a gym around your area, they're everywhere these days. They'll be more than happy to accommodate you and your request. And hell, if you stick with it, you'll be able to beat up skilled guys that are your own size. :goodposting:

This is not going to be worth finding out for you. Save yourself the ligaments and just trust us... :yes: J
:shrug: I was told by a local boxing guy that noone would ever agree to it either. :thumbdown:

A buddy of mine was out a club recently with a bunch of his cousins and uncles. They were giving one cousin a send off. He joined the marines and was heading to Iraq.

So, they are at this place and there are 6-7 regulars that are all huge ripped guys that have the run of the joint. One of them talks some trash to the Marine who is all of 5' 6" and 130. The regular is a tough guy picking on a 5'6". Well the words start going and they all wind up outside. These 6-7 regulars have been through this before but I'm guessing nothing has ever really gone down considering how big these guys are. Well, they are all outside and the regulars are still yapping and the marine takes the biggest and mouthiest and just rocks him in the jaw and he's down for the count. He takes a pretty good shot from another guy, shakes it off, and starts pummeling him while a 3rd guy is hitting him.

Everyone pairs off. Another guy there was also small. Has littleman syndrome and spends 3 hours a day in the gym and can bench more than twice his weight. He starts stompin. In less than 10 minutes these two little guys are mopping things up. The big guys are either laid out or breathing so heavily that they are doubled over.

My buddy is pretty impressed with his little cousin and his butt kickin ability and asks him about it. The Marine says, we learn to hit, take a hit and we can do it for more than an hour straight.

If you are a big guy and not running 5 miles a day you are going to be wheezing in about 3 minutes. You won't be able to keep your hands up and will not be fast enough to keep him from hitting you even if you could keep your hands up and the little guy is going to pound you. Unless you get a lucky first and quick punch no way you win this. He's going to fight you conservative and just wait for your endurance to wain. And then you are going to be face down on the mat before the 3rd round.

I have a heavy bag in my basement. My longest time on that thing is 18 minutes at one time. That's 6 rounds in the ring (albeit no one is punching back) in which I am keeping my hands up and throwing a wide variety of punches. You wouldn't believe how much the shoulders are impacted by this workout. Good luck, but you're toast....

:mellow: I was told by a local boxing guy that noone would ever agree to it either. :confused:
I have sparred with people I have outweighed by ~30 pounds, and gotten whacked pretty good because they were leaps and bounds ahead of me skill wise.(Being a southpaw makes you the sparring whore when you're one of the only lefties) This is what I'm basing my analysis on. These people are not anywhere near the level of Pacman. I don't think I'd stand a chance by gaining more weight/muscle because I didn't get beaten up because I wasn't strong enough. I got worked because I couldn't hit them, and they were hitting me almost at will. More muscle would be a detriment in this situation because it would just slow me down.I'm not knocking you or you mad fightin skillz, I just don't think a good boxer would let you utilize any of your advantages. While the disadvantage of being far outmatched in stamina/speed/technique would be easy for him to capitalize on.What I'm trying to say is, he would pull the rope a dope minus the "letting you hit him" part. Crazy ol' Cassius...

Me and my friends were discussing this last night during the fight. I have absolutely no boxing training but I weight lift and am pretty strong. What were to happen if I got into the ring with a featherweight boxer? Would he still kick my ### due to his boxing skills? Would his punches hurt me? Would I actually be able to hurt him? Will my size be too much for him? Just curious.
For the record, in the future, you don't need to mention your height and weight, or refer to your strength and lifting skills. You are a FBG, so we already know you're 6'2 225lbs and can bench 255 25+ times.
I diagree. He could be 6'6", 300 lbs, no body fat, and run a 4.6 forty.

:excited: I was told by a local boxing guy that noone would ever agree to it either. :excited:
I have sparred with people I have outweighed by ~30 pounds, and gotten whacked pretty good because they were leaps and bounds ahead of me skill wise.(Being a southpaw makes you the sparring whore when you're one of the only lefties) This is what I'm basing my analysis on. These people are not anywhere near the level of Pacman. I don't think I'd stand a chance by gaining more weight/muscle because it would just slow me down.I'm not knocking you or you mad fightin skillz, I just don't think a good boxer would let you utilize any of your advantages. While the disadvantage of being far outmatched in stamina would be easy for him to capitalize on.

What I'm trying to say is, he would pull the rope a dope minus the "letting you hit him" part. Crazy ol' Cassius...
I wasn't going to tell anyone that I am a southpaw as well.. my secret weapon!
Apollo's Trainer: He's a southpaw. I don't want you messing with southpaws. They do everything backwards

Apollo Creed: Southpaw nothing. I'll drop him in three. Apollo Creed meets the Italian Stallion. Now that sounds like a damn monster movie.

Why are people still talking like ego ever had anything to do with this? Never did, never will. Fortunate for me I guess that the things I do base my ego on (family, friends, career) provide plenty of ammo for my mancard.
If the boxer wanted to, you would literally die in the ring. That is, if he doesn't get bored from bashing your face in for an hour.Good luck though. Make sure somebody records it and knows how to upload to youtube. :thumbup:
Please re-read the thread. You are assuming a lot... for starters the idea that I would box a boxer.I would spar a midget boxer to find out what it is like, but if it were a fight - obviously not the plan.
This could spawn a whole new spin off thread!!! :gold:

You'll be gassed within 3 minutes. Probably less if you actually try to throw punches and be aggressive.

GLLLLLLLL, hope you gots health insurance.

:shrug: I was told by a local boxing guy that noone would ever agree to it either. :thumbup:
I have sparred with people I have outweighed by ~30 pounds, and gotten whacked pretty good because they were leaps and bounds ahead of me skill wise.(Being a southpaw makes you the sparring whore when you're one of the only lefties) This is what I'm basing my analysis on. These people are not anywhere near the level of Pacman. I don't think I'd stand a chance by gaining more weight/muscle because it would just slow me down.I'm not knocking you or you mad fightin skillz, I just don't think a good boxer would let you utilize any of your advantages. While the disadvantage of being far outmatched in stamina would be easy for him to capitalize on.

What I'm trying to say is, he would pull the rope a dope minus the "letting you hit him" part. Crazy ol' Cassius...
I wasn't going to tell anyone that I am a southpaw as well.. my secret weapon!
Apollo's Trainer: He's a southpaw. I don't want you messing with southpaws. They do everything backwards

Apollo Creed: Southpaw nothing. I'll drop him in three. Apollo Creed meets the Italian Stallion. Now that sounds like a damn monster movie.
Well, now you're screwed! :goodposting: Man, that smiley has bad technique.

If you really want to find out, and you can make it up to Milwaukee, I can get you a fight with Omar Choudhury. He's 130lbs, not exactly an elite MMA fighter, and he'd make you quit in under 3 minutes.

I've always been told "you can't judge a book by it's cover", but if that guy (Omar Choudhury) isn't serving hard time within the next 5-10 years, I'd be seriously surprised...

I'm fairly certain there are people who are the size of featherweight boxers, that aren't boxers, that could still kick your ### in any type of fight.

I'm fairly certain there are people who are the size of featherweight boxers, that aren't boxers, that could still kick your ### in any type of fight.
You realize that this is about the size of your average 11 or 12 year old right?
I think that you totally missed the post about the force of punches thrown by the little guys. Little to no difference in force between the different weight classes.

Not for a second.
This strategy can't miss.

You realize that this is about the size of your average 11 or 12 year old right?
I think that you totally missed the post about the force of punches thrown by the little guys. Little to no difference in force between the different weight classes.
I think you totally missed... a lot.

Not for a second.
This strategy can't miss.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread