What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (2 Viewers)

matuski said:
rizzler said:
FWIW, Im friends with Mike Strange (he was a Canadian Olympic Boxer). He won gold in the commonwealth games.

He fought at approx 135 pounds he said - and he was confident, because he's done it before, that he would beat the living #### out of any 230+ pound "fit" man, with no professional training, in seconds.

This isn't backyard brawling, you numbskulls. These guys put in 8+hr days for 10-15yrs honing their craft.

You lardasses wouldn't be able to eat another chicken wing for months.
Neither 135 nor 230 fall into the weight parameters set.. and I'm betting your friend is also outside the height parameters.

Hold on, I'll check. Michael Strange 5'9" 139lbs. Not even close. Knock half a foot or more, and 15 lbs off this guy.

5 foot nothing 125 lbs. I didn't make the claim versus anyone smaller than me, the claim was made versus the teeniest of tiny.
It doesn't matter about the parameters - he'd clap the bacon grease acne off a 280 pound man.

The only thing you'd see is a nanosecond of his bony knuckle before he hiroshima'd your orbital.

Im 210 pounds, and was pretty damn fit...got in a good share of scraps... and Im telling you right now, there was never a second in my life where I even thought "I could get lucky and maybe catch him with a jab to the chin"

He would dodge me like the head cheerleader dodged you in highschool.

I've been taking kickboxing classes for a year. I'm 6'0, 210 and in pretty good shape. I sparred with a 17 yo, 135 lb. kid the other day and he completely kicked my butt. If he was really trying, it wouldn't have been close.

He's been training since he was a wee lad, and he is challenging for the under 18 championship in his weight class, so he's pretty good. But I would have to get very lucky to even have a chance.

If you tried to box with them you'd get destroyed. I sparred with a run of the mill black belt once upon a time and they were so fast the glove was on my nose before I could react. Over and over and over. I was young and fit and there was literally no way for me to stay in range and not get hit -- it was like my reactions were on tape delay.

A pro would be able to hit you with impunity.

I appreciate everyone trying to rehash things covered in this thread ad nauseam through the years.... but perhaps read it before jumping 6.5 years later?

Forgive me for not responding to all the johnny come lately's... you aren't adding anything new. :shrug:

This is my favorite thread ever but it is unfortunately becoming predictable and repetitive. I'm barely a shadow of my physical self from back then (30 then, 37 now), I've lost the curiosity and interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate everyone trying to rehash things covered in this thread ad nauseam through the years.... but perhaps read it before jumping 6.5 years later?

Forgive me for not responding to all the johnny come lately's... you aren't adding anything new. :shrug:

This is my favorite thread ever but it is unfortunately becoming predictable and repetitive. I'm barely a shadow of my physical self from back then (30 then, 37 now), I've lost the curiosity and interest.
You got your ### kicked, didn't you?

You'd never hit him. You never would have hit him when you were 30. You are delusional. Which is the entire appeal of the thread.

read as: "I've left my moms basement and seen the world finally..."

What a difference 5 years makes. Damn age, damn kids, damn career.

While not completely gone athletically.. I am certainly a shell of the guy that would whoop any tiny person's ###. I must admit I don't feel quite so strong in my abilities now as then. I'll drop the "any", and replace it with "damn near any". :banned:

Was never a doubt until recently, however.

Still my favorite thread ever, and still awesome to watch so many people stay so riled up so long over the obvious conclusion that size matters assuming a base level of athleticism. :thumbup:
You have no idea how to generate power like a trained boxer does. I'd love to see your big ####### in there trying to hit a "tiny person" or evade some of their punches while trying to hit back. You would either give up or just fall down like you really were knocked out, keeping one eye open to see when the ref finished counting.
See my last post.. this is same as the first page of the thread years and years ago. And every page since.

I stand by myself in my prime versus guy that is smaller than any adult male I've seen since this thread started.

I'll check back to see if someone has a new angle every now and then.

What a difference 5 years makes. Damn age, damn kids, damn career.

While not completely gone athletically.. I am certainly a shell of the guy that would whoop any tiny person's ###. I must admit I don't feel quite so strong in my abilities now as then. I'll drop the "any", and replace it with "damn near any". :banned:

Was never a doubt until recently, however.

Still my favorite thread ever, and still awesome to watch so many people stay so riled up so long over the obvious conclusion that size matters assuming a base level of athleticism. :thumbup:
You have no idea how to generate power like a trained boxer does. I'd love to see your big ####### in there trying to hit a "tiny person" or evade some of their punches while trying to hit back. You would either give up or just fall down like you really were knocked out, keeping one eye open to see when the ref finished counting.
See my last post.. this is same as the first page of the thread years and years ago. And every page since.

I stand by myself in my prime versus guy that is smaller than any adult male I've seen since this thread started.

I'll check back to see if someone has a new angle every now and then.
Dont take too long, I was about to post how a six foot former olympic boxer I know can kick your butt. Unless that was already covered :lol:

no big deal. The thread can continue, except it's no longer about veatherweight vs Matsuki, it's now about featherweight vs Matsukis'-Self-Image-from-7-Years -Ago.

no big deal. The thread can continue, except it's no longer about veatherweight vs Matsuki, it's now about featherweight vs Matsukis'-Self-Image-from-7-Years -Ago.
Yeah, but the featherweight's 7 years older, too.

Yeah, but the featherweight's 7 years older, too.
That's a damn good point.

I once laid a SAVAGE beating on Naseem Hamed, circa 1996, outside a London nightclub. He got mouthy with my woman.

To this day, he won't speak about it.

Better question: how long would matsuki have to train in MMA to get to the point of being able to reliably defeat an in-prime Manny Pacquaio?

There comes a point where superior boxing skill gives way to size and strength. I doubt OP is big enough to be in that zone. But a dude who's 6'4 and has considerable muscle would take a featherweight, I'm pretty confident in that.

There comes a point where superior boxing skill gives way to size and strength. I doubt OP is big enough to be in that zone. But a dude who's 6'4 and has considerable muscle would take a featherweight, I'm pretty confident in that.
If I were 6'4 I would have made a bolder claim versus Pacq. But he did not fit the original parameters so I stepped back a good deal versus him off the original claim.

If I were 6'4 I would have made a bolder claim versus Pacq. But he did not fit the original parameters so I stepped back a good deal versus him off the original claim.
Pac rolls any 6'4 muscular guy in less than 30 seconds who isn't a fighter.

ok, Paq vs Shaq. (in their primes). Who wins?

maybe a better question is could I whup a guy 6'5", 250 lbs, athletic with no fighting training? I'd be giving up a full 1 ft in height, and 100 lbs in weight. I don't think I could, but I'm not that great of a fighter.

I know for a fact my MMA instructor, a professional fighter who stands 5'5" and fights at 145 could...I've seen him do it.

maybe a better question is could I whup a guy 6'5", 250 lbs, athletic with no fighting training? I'd be giving up a full 1 ft in height, and 100 lbs in weight. I don't think I could, but I'm not that great of a fighter.

I know for a fact my MMA instructor, a professional fighter who stands 5'5" and fights at 145 could...I've seen him do it.
Sweep the knee?

Sweep the knee?
nah. Body shots until opponent buckles over, then head kick. Or, take him down and submit him. Either way.

Jeez, MMA today is like karate in the 1970s -- makes up for any and all size/age/experience discrepancies. Must have a ton of teenage MMA hotshots get their arzses handed to them in barrooms all across America.

Pac rolls any 6'4 muscular guy in less than 30 seconds who isn't a fighter.
Today (150lbs), perhaps... in his featherweight days (relevant to this thread), no.

Jeez, MMA today is like karate in the 1970s -- makes up for any and all size/age/experience discrepancies. Must have a ton of teenage MMA hotshots get their arzses handed to them in barrooms all across America.
Skill makes up for the discrepancies.

You have a collegiate wrestling background and have trained MMA long enough to go for a shot without getting punched. I have no doubt you'd be able to take a guy that size down since he has no idea how to defend himself against a wrestler.

Jeff Fenech........Conceived from Maltese stock, but raised in the rough area of Marrickville in Sydney, New South Wales in Australia, Fenech was a brute in the ring – and sometimes out of it, too. Described by veteran trainer Johnny Lewis as a “wonderful friend but one of the most vicious and terrifying people alive”, Jeff notoriously knocked out a 230-pound nightclub bouncer, in Atlantic City. This, when he was campaigning as a featherweight!

You have a collegiate wrestling background and have trained MMA long enough to go for a shot without getting punched. I have no doubt you'd be able to take a guy that size down since he has no idea how to defend himself against a wrestler.
I have a hard time dealing with reach. Even in my wrestling days, I struggled against tall skinny guys. Its not the weight that gives me pause, its an inability to get in close enough to execute my game.Im working on that part, but its not easy. At all.

I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if this is a repeat but...

1. Any pro-boxer at any size can most likely avoid punches and move well enough from being taken to the ground for at least 20-30 seconds.

2. Any pro-boxer at any size most likely can land a fight ending, or at least stun worthy body blow in those first 20-30 seconds.

I'm assuming we're talking a run of the mill pro against an amateur with no boxing/MA skills aside from working a punching bag. I also don't think The Rock has more of a chance than a couch potato if they have the same fighting skills.

I have a hard time dealing with reach. Even in my wrestling days, I struggled against tall skinny guys. Its not the weight that gives me pause, its an inability to get in close enough to execute my game.Im working on that part, but its not easy. At all.
I think you're comparing yourself to taller, bigger guys who are also wrestlers. Did any of your non-wrestling friends in HS/college ever challenge you to a wrestling match to see if you could take them down?

Users who are viewing this thread