What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (1 Viewer)

OK.It is clear everyone dismisses 6-10 inches and 100lbs as being no advantage.I don't get it but fine.At what point is size/weight/strength an advantage?What if it is 16 inches and 150lbs?
I'm not saying it is no advantage. What I am saying is that you probably don't punch people a regular basis, are not as fast a boxer regardless of his size, and you don't regularly get struck in the head. I think you'd lose to pro boxer 5'4 and up. Again the beating would unreal. You'd be down in minutes. Like someone earlier mentioned you'd be better off against a heavy weight who is a tad bit slower and you may be able to tackle him to the ground. You are ####ed either way.
You are making this sound like I have no ability to defend or fight back.In your head I must be the midget?
:no: What's with you and the midget talk? These guys are between 5'6 and 5'11, these are not midgets. You are vastly overrating how much height matters in this context.

I'm willing to bet that a 125 pound professional boxer can generate more punching power than the average 200 pound man.
Take it down to a 20-35 year old 200 pound man and you've got a bet.Those guys don't even hurt each other. It's all technical. Seriously. They are too small. This is not an ego thing with me. I'll easily admit most males will beat my ###. But these dudes are like 12-year-old girl small. No way.
I think you only feel this way because you are watching them box/fight other qualified people who don't take many clean shots right to the kisser. Even last night Mayweather who I think is one of the weaker boxers had damaged De La Hoya's eye in the 1st few rounds. These guys look like they may be slapping at each other but sub yourself for the other dude and you are bleeding like a stuck pig because you have no clue how to move or defend your face. Don't mean this directly at you zilla, just in general. Most people suck at fighting, hence a pro is gonna bust you up 10 out of 10 times.
OK I've admitted in a ring any of us would lose (by decision and with a considerable amount of long-term body soreness). But we're talking street fight, where you can grab this ewok and put him on the wall. No chance? I don't think so.
:no: A street fight means bare fists, you'd be out before you knew what happened. Probably from the first punch.

OK.It is clear everyone dismisses 6-10 inches and 100lbs as being no advantage.I don't get it but fine.At what point is size/weight/strength an advantage?What if it is 16 inches and 150lbs?
I'm not saying it is no advantage. What I am saying is that you probably don't punch people a regular basis, are not as fast a boxer regardless of his size, and you don't regularly get struck in the head. I think you'd lose to pro boxer 5'4 and up. Again the beating would unreal. You'd be down in minutes. Like someone earlier mentioned you'd be better off against a heavy weight who is a tad bit slower and you may be able to tackle him to the ground. You are ####ed either way.
You are making this sound like I have no ability to defend or fight back.In your head I must be the midget?
:no: What's with you and the midget talk? These guys are between 5'6 and 5'11, these are not midgets. You are vastly overrating how much height matters in this context.
First time I've mentioned a midget. And 5'6" 125lbs dudes are damn near midgets IMO.

:lmao: What's with you and the midget talk? These guys are between 5'6 and 5'11, these are not midgets. You are vastly overrating how much height matters in this context.
I will gladly take a guy who's 5'11", 125 lbs. I don't care how much torque he's got.

I'm willing to bet that a 125 pound professional boxer can generate more punching power than the average 200 pound man.
Take it down to a 20-35 year old 200 pound man and you've got a bet.Those guys don't even hurt each other. It's all technical. Seriously. They are too small. This is not an ego thing with me. I'll easily admit most males will beat my ###. But these dudes are like 12-year-old girl small. No way.
Generating punching power is as much technical as it is strength. The average 200 pound guy has no idea how to throw a proper punch. He's not getting anything near his entire bodyweight into it. I've never seen a 125 pound guy go against a 200+ pounder but I have seen trained guys in the 140 pound range go against untrained guys who were 50+ pounds heavier than them. The results weren't pretty for the bigger guy.

:lmao: What's with you and the midget talk? These guys are between 5'6 and 5'11, these are not midgets. You are vastly overrating how much height matters in this context.
I will gladly take a guy who's 5'11", 125 lbs. I don't care how much torque he's got.
Take him where? The only place you are taking a pro boxer is to the movies.... :lmao:

:lmao:

What's funny is I've got like the lowest self esteem of anyone on this board. I'm just looking at simple physics, and the conspicuously bloodless featherweight fights I've seen.

You just can't convince me that someone that small can beat someone that much bigger in a no-holds-barred brawl. Now if he's a kung-fu master.... different story.

But seriously. Those guys are basically jockeys.
:lmao: :lmao: JZilla makes a pretty decent point here. :lmao: at the FFA so decisively declaring a victory for the guy who weighs less than girls I date (and I'm a skinny snob).

:lmao: What's funny is I've got like the lowest self esteem of anyone on this board. I'm just looking at simple physics, and the conspicuously bloodless featherweight fights I've seen.You just can't convince me that someone that small can beat someone that much bigger in a no-holds-barred brawl. Now if he's a kung-fu master.... different story.
:lmao: What folks aren't getting here is that these guys are trained to fight under very particular circumstances with rules that determine what they can and cannot do. It's pretty limited. When you get beyond the technical boxing skill and get your hands on him, what's he gonna do about it? Someone with 6-8 inches in height and over 100 pounds on these guys could rush him, take a couple of those feather taps to the head, get him on the ground, and make his life miserable. Of course you'd have to be smart enough not to bother trying to outbox the guy, but gravity, mass, and physics are the same regardless of whether you've been on television or not.All that said, I'd still love to see this happen.

I think you only feel this way because you are watching them box/fight other qualified people who don't take many clean shots right to the kisser. Even last night Mayweather who I think is one of the weaker boxers had damaged De La Hoya's eye in the 1st few rounds. These guys look like they may be slapping at each other but sub yourself for the other dude and you are bleeding like a stuck pig because you have no clue how to move or defend your face. Don't mean this directly at you zilla, just in general. Most people suck at fighting, hence a pro is gonna bust you up 10 out of 10 times.
OK I've admitted in a ring any of us would lose (by decision and with a considerable amount of long-term body soreness). But we're talking street fight, where you can grab this ewok and put him on the wall. No chance? I don't think so.
:lmao: A street fight means bare fists, you'd be out before you knew what happened. Probably from the first punch.
:lmao:bare knuckles, the boxer would hit you on the button with his first shot.IF you can withstand that one you're gonna get hit with a couple more before you realize what happened.

:goodposting: A street fight means bare fists, you'd be out before you knew what happened. Probably from the first punch.
:goodposting:bare knuckles, the boxer would hit you on the button with his first shot.IF you can withstand that one you're gonna get hit with a couple more before you realize what happened.
Yeah because when a regular guy gets in a fight, he just stands there with his face out and his thumbs in his ###. Since he's untrained and all.

:goodposting: A street fight means bare fists, you'd be out before you knew what happened. Probably from the first punch.
:goodposting:bare knuckles, the boxer would hit you on the button with his first shot.IF you can withstand that one you're gonna get hit with a couple more before you realize what happened.
Yeah because when a regular guy gets in a fight, he just stands there with his face out and his thumbs in his ###. Since he's untrained and all.
:lmao:like these guys don't train to hit a moving target :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: give it up JZ we have no chance against guys half our size.

i'd lay down money to see the average FBG fight a featherweight, bare knuckles.

we could have Dentist on standby for the emergency dental work our FBG is gonna need.

I am your size (6'2", 225lbs) and I have had this debate with friends many times.

I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.

It would be like fighting a fourth grade boxer.
Regardless of boxing or other skills? How about this guy: 130 lbs.

For those who don't think 6 inches and 100 pounds make a difference, isn't there a threshold somewhere where the size overtakes the punching skill?

What about 10 inches and 200 pounds?

At some point I think we all have to coincide that some differential in size, weight and strength would tip the scale. I'm not sure exactly where that is, but 100 pounds of muscle seems like a lot to me.

i'd lay down money to see the average FBG fight a featherweight, bare knuckles.we could have Dentist on standby for the emergency dental work our FBG is gonna need.
:goodposting: It would be like some sort of cartoon. FBG rushes boxer, boxer side steps fat sloppy fbg and proceeds to unleash 25 punches all over his face and torso before said FBG can even stand back up.

i'd lay down money to see the average FBG fight a featherweight, bare knuckles.we could have Dentist on standby for the emergency dental work our FBG is gonna need.
I'm not doing it, because I value my nuts, and I'm under 6'0" so I don't technically qualify for the current argument. But I'm down for $200 on matuski.

For those who don't think 6 inches and 100 pounds make a difference, isn't there a threshold somewhere where the size overtakes the punching skill?What about 10 inches and 200 pounds?At some point I think we all have to coincide that some differential in size, weight and strength would tip the scale. I'm not sure exactly where that is, but 100 pounds of muscle seems like a lot to me.
I already asked this twice and really got nothing in response :goodposting:

For those who don't think 6 inches and 100 pounds make a difference, isn't there a threshold somewhere where the size overtakes the punching skill?What about 10 inches and 200 pounds?At some point I think we all have to coincide that some differential in size, weight and strength would tip the scale. I'm not sure exactly where that is, but 100 pounds of muscle seems like a lot to me.
I disagree especially in a street fight. If you consider arm locks and ankle locks size means even less.

I already asked this twice and really got nothing in response :goodposting:
I think it's a pretty fair question. Folks aren't answering it because the answer is pretty self evident.

If these featherweights can dish out this much punishment to a regular guy (concussions, emergency dental work needed, popping eyeballs out of your skull), how come they don't do any of this in the ring against other featherweights?

I am your size (6'2", 225lbs) and I have had this debate with friends many times.

I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from a featherweight boxer.
You got me. And don't even bring Chuck Norriss into this!

yeah I already said kung-fu/karate is a totally different thing. But if I had a gun..

Matuski's statement wasn't limited to boxers.

I disagree especially in a street fight. If you consider arm locks and ankle locks size means even less.
But these featherweight boxers aren't street fighters. Nobody would have the advantage in any terms other than trained boxing/punching skill -- a nice advantage, but perhaps not enough to handle an extra hundred pounds in a no-holds-barred affair.Now, if you are talking about an ultimate fighter/trained street brawler of that size, I agree with you completely -- matsuki is probably a goner. But we're not talking about that.

If these featherweights can dish out this much punishment to a regular guy (concussions, emergency dental work needed, popping eyeballs out of your skull), how come they don't do any of this in the ring against other featherweights?
:blackdot: My point exactlyThese dudes walk out of the ring looking exactly like they did when they walked in. Reminds me a little of Mayweather/Delahoya :rolleyes:

you have to understand matsuki and jzilla are ONE-HUNDRED POUNDS BIGGER than this guythey would terminate Bruce Lee

You're right$200 on random Asian guy

I thought we were limiting this to the featherweight boxers and thinking terms of the fight last night. The whole point is that this guy is only a trained boxer, period. Bruce Lee is a trained martial arts FIGHTER. The guy is all about no-holds-barred ### kicking. That's essentially the same as a super awesome street fighter.I don't know about anyone else, but this would change my answer dramatically.

this thread rocks but people keep requoting the same post without reading the responses.. impossible to keep up dammit.

But these featherweight boxers aren't street fighters. Nobody would have the advantage in any terms other than trained boxing/punching skill -- a nice advantage, but perhaps not enough to handle an extra hundred pounds in a no-holds-barred affair.Now, if you are talking about an ultimate fighter/trained street brawler of that size, I agree with you completely -- matsuki is probably a goner. But we're not talking about that.
You asked when does size outweight skills, no? My answer was I think never because situations exist in which someone who is significantly smaller can outfight someone significanlty bigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
:blackdot: they do. the difference being the other fighters are trained to take punches... and have been taking them for years and years. how many fighters do you see after their career is over who are "normal"?

You asked when does size outweight skills, no? My answer was I think never because situations exist in which someone who is significantly smaller can outfight someone significanlty bigger.
I don't disagree with that. But the skill set of a featherweight boxer is -- compared to a street fight -- somewhat limited. These guys are no Bruce Lee.

:blackdot: My point exactlyThese dudes walk out of the ring looking exactly like they did when they walked in. Reminds me a little of Mayweather/Delahoya :rolleyes:
swelling usually commences after the fight is over. though a lot of the time it begins during the fight is done. :thumbup:

:blackdot: they do. the difference being the other fighters are trained to take punches... and have been taking them for years and years. how many fighters do you see after their career is over who are "normal"?
I also mentioned earlier that these boxers are moving around and are not taking tons of shots straight to the face, they protect themselves very well. So just because a boxer leaves the ring with little facial damage doesn't neccesarly mean the other boxer was weak.

I don't disagree with that. But the skill set of a featherweight boxer is -- compared to a street fight -- somewhat limited. These guys are no Bruce Lee.
Agreed. But for the context of what we are talking about, a street fight. Size matters a whole lot less then people think.

swelling usually commences after the fight is over. though a lot of the time it begins during the fight is done. :thumbup:
I'll take the slow swelling while I grab this kid and sit on him until he calls me Uncle.

odds are, most boxers are seasoned street fighters... at least before they got their careers off the ground.read up on some of these loons. they aren't deciding to box because they're fit guys with no other sports skills.

I thought we were limiting this to the featherweight boxers and thinking terms of the fight last night. The whole point is that this guy is only a trained boxer, period. Bruce Lee is a trained martial arts FIGHTER. The guy is all about no-holds-barred ### kicking. That's essentially the same as a super awesome street fighter.I don't know about anyone else, but this would change my answer dramatically.
Matuski was clearly talking about more than just boxers. That's why he said he could "woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills." Hell, he'd probably have truble with this guy as well.

Me and my friends were discussing this last night during the fight. I have absolutely no boxing training but I weight lift and am pretty strong. What were to happen if I got into the ring with a featherweight boxer? Would he still kick my ### due to his boxing skills? Would his punches hurt me? Would I actually be able to hurt him? Will my size be too much for him? Just curious.
Professional featherweight?He would absolutely destroy you shady. Words can't describe what a mismatch it would be.Take the gloves off and have a street fight and it might be different. But in the ring playing by his rules, he would totally destroy you. Based on what you say above, I can say this with certainty.J

odds are, most boxers are seasoned street fighters... at least before they got their careers off the ground.read up on some of these loons. they aren't deciding to box because they're fit guys with no other sports skills.
125 lbs. One hundred and twenty-five pounds. That is really, really small.OK, odds are, one of these guys has a knife and it's over.

Me and my friends were discussing this last night during the fight. I have absolutely no boxing training but I weight lift and am pretty strong. What were to happen if I got into the ring with a featherweight boxer? Would he still kick my ### due to his boxing skills? Would his punches hurt me? Would I actually be able to hurt him? Will my size be too much for him? Just curious.
Professional featherweight?He would absolutely destroy you shady. Words can't describe what a mismatch it would be.

Take the gloves off and have a street fight and it might be different. But in the ring playing by his rules, he would totally destroy you. Based on what you say above, I can say this with certainty.

J
Joe Bryant has spoken.

Because they're fighting other trained fighters who have spent their entire lives devoted to learning how not to be punched, and how to take a punch in the event one lands. Boxers very rarely take clean shots; everyone on this forum would be taking a clean jab straight to the nose if we tried taking on a fighter. If he was in a particularly bad mood, it would probably be to the throat and there would be a whole lot of time to flash through memories on your way to the hospital.Weight and size play a difference when the person is:

1.) Physically fit enough to last more than 20 seconds in a fight; most people think of themselves as uber-studs that can fight indefinitely when need be. The average Joe on the street would be taxed in a matter of seconds.

2.) Fast enough in terms of speed and reaction to avoid and land punches; pretty much a given that nobody here is. It's very easy to say, "Well I'd hit or grab him and since I weigh so much more if would do damage". You're not taking into account that this guy is going to be virtually telepathic to your eyes, he's going to be moving to defend or attack the exact second you make a move.

3.) Is built enough and can endure enough to take a lot of damage.

4.) Has the ability to get out of the way once the flurry of punches start coming for their head; we're taking punch after punch in rapid succession at a speed you've probably never seen.

If you had all of those things, you might stand a chance. Then again, if you had all of those things you'd probably be a professional boxer in the first place. Weight and strength mean almost nothing if you have no idea how to use it.

We're seriously talking about a beating of unimaginable proportion. It'd be like Looney Toons.

:bag: they do. the difference being the other fighters are trained to take punches... and have been taking them for years and years. how many fighters do you see after their career is over who are "normal"?
I've been trying to find this stat but haven't had any luck.... what percentage of featherweight fights end in a knockout? The reason I'm asking is because heavyweight fighters are trained to take punches too but at least the guy across from him packs enough punch to knock him the #### out.

Users who are viewing this thread