Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

random home game hand

munga30

Tonight's home game is winding down. There are four people left and a tournament is suggested. Sure, why not. A single blind structure and deep stacks are suggested so that "we get enough play in." Got it. We lose one and we're three handed.

Single 80 chip blind. I get dealt Jd 9d first to act and raise to 160. The button cold calls and the blind folds. The button has about 2400 and I cover him. He's reasonable but maybe a tad bit weak. I think he folds too much. I think he respects me some. Anyway, there's 400 in the pot.

FLOP: Kc Qd Td

I check and call 200. 800 in the pot.

TURN: 4c

I check, button bets 300, and I raise to 800. Button tanks for 30 sec and mutters, "That's just about my odds. I call."

RIVER: Tc

What's your river plan. How do you like my play so far?

Tonight's home game is winding down. There are four people left and a tournament is suggested. Sure, why not. A single blind structure and deep stacks are suggested so that "we get enough play in." Got it. We lose one and we're three handed.Single 80 chip blind. I get dealt Jd 9d first to act and raise to 160. The button cold calls and the blind folds. The button has about 2400 and I cover him. He's reasonable but maybe a tad bit weak. I think he folds too much. I think he respects me some. Anyway, there's 400 in the pot.FLOP: Kc Qd TdI check and call 200. 800 in the pot.TURN: 4cI check, button bets 300, and I raise to 800. Button tanks for 30 sec and mutters, "That's just about my odds. I call." RIVER: TcWhat's your river plan. How do you like my play so far?

I would have raised the flop...hard - you have the nuts (unless he has AJ) - why let him draw to a possible flush? - especially when 200 is the exact size bet many people would make with a FD. The problem is a flush did hit on the river - but I'd bet it's not his. IMHO, this hand is still yours - I'd throw in another 800 and hope he calls with 2 pair.

Tonight's home game is winding down. There are four people left and a tournament is suggested. Sure, why not. A single blind structure and deep stacks are suggested so that "we get enough play in." Got it. We lose one and we're three handed.

Single 80 chip blind. I get dealt Jd 9d first to act and raise to 160. The button cold calls and the blind folds. The button has about 2400 and I cover him. He's reasonable but maybe a tad bit weak. I think he folds too much. I think he respects me some. Anyway, there's 400 in the pot.

I check, button bets 300, and I raise to 800. Button tanks for 30 sec and mutters, "That's just about my odds. I call."

I would have raised the flop...hard - you have the nuts (unless he has AJ) - why let him draw to a possible flush? - especially when 200 is the exact size bet many people would make with a FD.

The problem is a flush did hit on the river - but I'd bet it's not his. IMHO, this hand is still yours - I'd throw in another 800 and hope he calls with 2 pair.

Then it's not the nuts.

Tonight's home game is winding down. There are four people left and a tournament is suggested. Sure, why not. A single blind structure and deep stacks are suggested so that "we get enough play in." Got it. We lose one and we're three handed.Single 80 chip blind. I get dealt Jd 9d first to act and raise to 160. The button cold calls and the blind folds. The button has about 2400 and I cover him. He's reasonable but maybe a tad bit weak. I think he folds too much. I think he respects me some. Anyway, there's 400 in the pot.FLOP: Kc Qd TdI check and call 200. 800 in the pot.TURN: 4cI check, button bets 300, and I raise to 800. Button tanks for 30 sec and mutters, "That's just about my odds. I call." RIVER: TcWhat's your river plan. How do you like my play so far?

I would have raised the flop...hard - you have the nuts (unless he has AJ) - why let him draw to a possible flush? - especially when 200 is the exact size bet many people would make with a FD. The problem is a flush did hit on the river - but I'd bet it's not his. IMHO, this hand is still yours - I'd throw in another 800 and hope he calls with 2 pair.
I'd have to agree that you left the door open for him to hit on the flush by slow playing on the flop. I think he was chasing the diamond flush, though he may have had a king or a queen. Either way you should have the hand won. I wouldn't put him on the club flush or the Ace-high straight. The only thing that he has you beat with is if he had T-K/Q. Personally, I would bet around 500. He's already committed to the pot with about half of his chips. If you push him all-in, he's either going to fold or he has you beat with the full house. Right now I'd just see how much I can get out of him.

To Recap: I get dealt Jd 9d first to act and raise to 160. The button cold calls and the blind folds. 400 in the pot.

I check and the button goes all in for another 1200. He looks pretty confident. What do you do and why?

To Recap: I get dealt Jd 9d first to act and raise to 160. The button cold calls and the blind folds. 400 in the pot.FLOP: Kc Qd TdI check and call 200. 800 in the pot.TURN: 4cI check, button bets 300, and I raise to 800. Button tanks for 30 sec and mutters, "That's just about my odds. I call." RIVER: TcI check and the button goes all in for another 1200. He looks pretty confident. What do you do and why?

I'd say call getting 3 to 1 pot odds, but I'm not exactly a great NL player. Be prepared to get shown QcJc or K-T off or something similar. People will disagree, but I think you played the hand pretty well. I probably check raise a little more on the turn to discourage a club draw, but if he has AJ, you're going to lose all your money no matter what. If he has two pair, he has 4 outs and you want him to call. If he has a diamond draw, you have many of those beat. Just because you might have gotten drawn out on doesn't mean you were wrong to slowplay it a little bit. If you overbet every really strong hand in NL, you wouldn't get sucked out on very much, but you wouldn't make much money either. Results?

Could be he has a set and drew to it though most people wouldn't be so passive. If he has a set, he has 10 outs heading to the river. He called 500 into a 1900 pot. That's just about right. A flush has 9 outs (or he could think so). again 9/46. Getting almost 4 to 1. It's about right.

Could be he has a set and drew to it though most people wouldn't be so passive. If he has a set, he has 10 outs heading to the river. He called 500 into a 1900 pot. That's just about right. A flush has 9 outs (or he could think so). again 9/46. Getting almost 4 to 1. It's about right.

I can't believe a set wouldn't push harder than that. A hand like top pair, two pair, or pair and a draw seems more reasonable. But, people don't always play reasonable. Even a naked flush draw would be worth drawing to here if you think the other guy would pay off a decent river bet.

I can't believe a set wouldn't push harder than that. A hand like top pair, two pair, or pair and a draw seems more reasonable. But, people don't always play reasonable. Even a naked flush draw would be worth drawing to here if you think the other guy would pay off a decent river bet.
I must be crazy. I swear there was a post here from, I thought, andy_b about %s and what could he possibly be drawing to. This is what I was replying to but it's disappeared......

To Recap: I get dealt Jd 9d first to act and raise to 160. The button cold calls and the blind folds. 400 in the pot.FLOP: Kc Qd TdI check and call 200. 800 in the pot.TURN: 4cI check, button bets 300, and I raise to 800. Button tanks for 30 sec and mutters, "That's just about my odds. I call." RIVER: TcI check and the button goes all in for another 1200. He looks pretty confident. What do you do and why?

First, I push harder on the turn check-raise. After he bets 300, you have about 1/4th of his chips in the pot and you only raise 500 into an 1100 chip pot. He has to call 500 into what is now a 1900 chip pot. Lots of draws, this is a good play for him. You should have bumped it up to about 1500 with your check raise and either forced him to overpay for the draw or fold. Him folding at this point isn't a bad thing for you. While you would like to eliminate him with the straight on the flop, there are too many cards out there to keep you from being a lock to win.Now, as for what I do here, it completely depends on what my read is of the guy. If I feel reasonably confident that he either caught a flush or full boat, then I fold and still have enough chips to fight back later. If I think he has less than a straight then I call. Given your brief description of the guy and how you have portrayed him to this point, I probably fold because it sounds like he hit the club flush.ETA - I'm guessing you laid it down and he showed a bluff. Either he played it well to make you believe he hit or you just didn't read him very well. Regardless, you have to hit the turn harder when you raise.ETA part 2 - By the way, it has to be a VERY GOOD read that he hit the flush, etc. With it 3 handed, I would be pretty comfortable losing most of my stack with a high straight in this case. Just to beat the dead horse, if you had pushed the turn, you would have a better read on the river as to what he actually has.

Thanks for all the replies.

I probably should have bet more on the turn, but not quite to 1500. My gut tells me there's a price somewhere inbetween that I should like getting called because I have two diamonds in my hand. Maybe 1100 or so. I don't really need to price out a set here because the only one he can have without a preflop raise is 44 and he doesn't bet that on this flop anywhere near 100% of the time.

I tanked for a bit and ended up calling. I was reading strong for weak and thinking of a bluffed diamond draw. He pretty much can't have a boat because he would have raised preflop with those pocket pairs and KQ (tho this one is fuzzy), would bet more on the flop to protect KT and QT, and won't bet the flop that often with 44. He showed me Jc8c (good guess of QcJc by 3 hour lunch). I will say that seeing some pretty blatant confidence from him after his river bet put more doubt in my mind than it will in the future.

I'm curious as to how others would have played the J8c? What is the advantage of betting the turn when there is virtually no hand the initial raiser could be holding that you beat?

I could see building the pot in a cash game, but at this point in a tournament he doesn't have that many chips to just give away when he gets re-raised.

I'm curious as to how others would have played the J8c? What is the advantage of betting the turn when there is virtually no hand the initial raiser could be holding that you beat?I could see building the pot in a cash game, but at this point in a tournament he doesn't have that many chips to just give away when he gets re-raised.

He is just continuing his flop bluff

Thanks for all the replies. I probably should have bet more on the turn, but not quite to 1500. My gut tells me there's a price somewhere inbetween that I should like getting called because I have two diamonds in my hand. Maybe 1100 or so. I don't really need to price out a set here because the only one he can have without a preflop raise is 44 and he doesn't bet that on this flop anywhere near 100% of the time. I tanked for a bit and ended up calling. I was reading strong for weak and thinking of a bluffed diamond draw. He pretty much can't have a boat because he would have raised preflop with those pocket pairs and KQ (tho this one is fuzzy), would bet more on the flop to protect KT and QT, and won't bet the flop that often with 44. He showed me Jc8c (good guess of QcJc by 3 hour lunch). I will say that seeing some pretty blatant confidence from him after his river bet put more doubt in my mind than it will in the future.

I would have check raised the flop.The reason I don't like the slow play is that whenever you slow play, you don't really learn much about your opponents hand. This isn't a problem if you have the stone cold nuts, but a hand like this there are a lot of ways you can get beat. You don't have to chase him out of the pot, but it would be nice to apply some pressure to get a read.

I would have raised the flop...hard - you have the nuts (unless he has AJ) - why let him draw to a possible flush? - especially when 200 is the exact size bet many people would make with a FD.

The problem is a flush did hit on the river - but I'd bet it's not his. IMHO, this hand is still yours - I'd throw in another 800 and hope he calls with 2 pair.

Most players wouldn't bet a draw when they have position.

I don't like the check on the flop. Bet out. Slowplaying is nearly always bad.

Munga- I love you

:confused::banned::banned:
Well, I only say it because it is true. Over the past years you have contributed as much to the poker threads as anyone. And you have a child who is part of the curse-reverse nation.Because of that, I won't mention the absurdity of slowplaying non-nut straights on a two suited Broadway board where someone called a preflop raise again.

Archived