What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vegas (1 Viewer)

Vegas has become an Uber town.  Drop off locations and signage everywhere.  It's like it changed overnight.  1/2 the price of cabs.  Super easy.  It's a must.

Not sure when the schedule is released, I think sometime in February. There are usually a couple of $1500NL events and the past few years one of them has been the weekend before the Main Event. Main Event has been starting 8th/9th/10th timeframe so you can play the $1500 over July 4th weekend. 
Last year it was released at the end of January.  There's a $1500 NL event probably every week of the series, if not two.

Going to the Bike in LA tomorrow for two days at WSOP circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vegas has become an Uber town.  Drop off locations and signage everywhere.  It's like it changed overnight.  1/2 the price of cabs.  Super easy.  It's a must.
Uber from Tropicana to airport was $11 plus whatever tax and 28 cents for every minute wait time whatever that is. Cab cost me 13 bucks and it was already in the parking lot. 

3.  Nacho Daddy's, Pizza Rock are both solid options.  Both are casual.
Nacho Daddy's has some breakfast nacho options that are very good. Pizza Rock is outstanding - highly recommend.

Andiamo at The D has amazing food and a cool throwback atmosphere. I've heard mixed reviews on Oscar, but would strongly recommend Andiamo.

Re: Absinthe - I've seen it three times and would see it every time I go back to Vegas. Best show ever. If you're up for an afternoon show, the Mac King show at Harrah's is fun and inexpensive. You can ask for discounted tickets from a Harrah's concierge.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. We're not set on WGP. Is there a dress code at Craft Steak? We're not really interested in dressing up to go to dinner. We won't have clothes for that and will keep it casual. Hell, I'll probably be wearing a hat 80% of the time. 
Nice Jeans + NIce button-down shirt + Nice leather shoes or stylish sneakers (ie not beat up running shoes) will have you covered most places in vegas. 

Hat is acceptable many places but probably best to leave it at home at most upscale dining/entertainment venues. 

Good basics on dressing for clubs/lounges. Dinner at Craftsteak is a bit more relaxed than that... but Vegas is a place to dress nice.

If you look good, you feel good. Sure, you can probably get away with your cargo shorts and tommy Bahama shirt with sweaty Mandals.... but you really don't wanna be that guy in Vegas. 

In The Zone said:
Thank you for this. I've read good things about Pizza Rock. 
Maybe it's the NY'er in me, but I found Pizza Rock pretty ordinary. Prettymuch the same as every city's "you gotta try their pizza" place that is maybe a cut above Pizza Hut, but nothing special. I wouldn't make a special trip for it, and if you have your eye on another Fremont area restaurant, choose that one instead.

Agree on Fremont at night. It's pretty wild just to walk and people watch. 

For coffee, well, I like it as soon as I get up, so even going to a Starbucks is an issue. Our last time there, we went to a Walmart and bought a cheap $20 coffeepot, some ground coffee, cups/etc, to use for the week. Was worth doing. But I had a car - taking an Uber might be a pain.   

I probably wouldn't go to Wolfgang's even with the coupon (which will amount to nothing). Craft Steak is better.

I love burgers, but I was disappointed in Shake Shack - wasn't worth the line (and I was really disappointed in In n Out, which I was looking forward to trying). Assuming the Shake Shack is the one by NY NY, a few hundred feet away is BrewHaus, with much better lunch-style food, and a great beer selection. We were staying at the MGM, and that became our go-to lunch place.

Have fun!

In The Zone said:
Here are some of the restaurants that we are interested in. 

GREAT Burgr

Wicked Spoon (this is included with our package) 

Shake Shack 

Hash House a Gogo

Yardbird

Grand Lux

Secret Pizza 

Eggslut 

Holsteins

I will definitely look at Craft Steak 

Eta: Peppermil is a must for me. 
Hash Hash is good but their portions are huge and heavy. Plan for that, as it may cripple the rest of your day if you are not careful. I think Yardbird is the top recommended place on this board, so I think you should go for that. Also Mon Ami Gabi at Paris. Sit out on the balcony and watch the Bellagio fountains.

you guys are nuts las vegas is a big city and i bet it has at least one parnera so hey there you go and you do not even have to get dressed up like a larooshbag to go in so bam another mystery solved by the old swcer take that to the bank 

you guys are nuts las vegas is a big city and i bet it has at least one parnera so hey there you go and you do not even have to get dressed up like a larooshbag to go in so bam another mystery solved by the old swcer take that to the bank 
#### Panera. 

[icon] said:
Nice Jeans + NIce button-down shirt + Nice leather shoes or stylish sneakers (ie not beat up running shoes) will have you covered most places in vegas. 

Hat is acceptable many places but probably best to leave it at home at most upscale dining/entertainment venues. 

Good basics on dressing for clubs/lounges. Dinner at Craftsteak is a bit more relaxed than that... but Vegas is a place to dress nice.

If you look good, you feel good. Sure, you can probably get away with your cargo shorts and tommy Bahama shirt with sweaty Mandals.... but you really don't wanna be that guy in Vegas. 
Yeah, I won't be that guy. I'l be wearing slacks (ie. Khaki, green, Grey, and etc.) along with a hoodie or two, my PGA championship pullover, and maybe a Tommy Hilfiger pullover. I won' be tthat guy. 

Hash Hash is good but their portions are huge and heavy. Plan for that, as it may cripple the rest of your day if you are not careful. I think Yardbird is the top recommended place on this board, so I think you should go for that. Also Mon Ami Gabi at Paris. Sit out on the balcony and watch the Bellagio fountains.
Great place to people watch at breakfast too.

If you guys want the best ambience in Vegas, make a 5:30pm reservation at Lago (later is ok if you're a baller and have a good host) with a fountain view. Then get there a little early, slip the hostess $20 and ask for the best seat they have. Did this on our anniversary and we were on the patio literally 20 feet from the fountains. Sun is just setting in the winter and you get to watch the lights on the strip turn on. Scored major points with the wife for that one. Food was pretty damn good too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=view+from+lago+Bellagio&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS712US712&hl=en-US&prmd=inmv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz25r0yfXXAhUBxCYKHUpBD5sQ_AUIESgB&biw=375&bih=591#imgrc=VX3aEgiuz-JJIM:

Getzlaf15 said:
it does.  we start at 1pm today.  There is a plo8 Big O tournament at 2pm that everyone is playing in though, so not the end of the world.  
Hope it's going well. Forgot to wish you good luck!

If you guys want the best ambience in Vegas, make a 5:30pm reservation at Lago (later is ok if you're a baller and have a good host) with a fountain view. Then get there a little early, slip the hostess $20 and ask for the best seat they have. Did this on our anniversary and we were on the patio literally 20 feet from the fountains. Sun is just setting in the winter and you get to watch the lights on the strip turn on. Scored major points with the wife for that one. Food was pretty damn good too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=view+from+lago+Bellagio&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS712US712&hl=en-US&prmd=inmv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz25r0yfXXAhUBxCYKHUpBD5sQ_AUIESgB&biw=375&bih=591#imgrc=VX3aEgiuz-JJIM:
I did this for our trip back in April,  I made reservations on Opentable app and requested a table with the window view.   It worked out perfect.

Seconded on the food, we didn't even order a entree just kept ordering different types of small plates.

Had a good weekend last weekend. Got comped three nights at luxor. Was weird having a view directly above where the shooting occurred. Could see the fuel tanks easily as well as why everybody funneled to MGM and Tropicana. 

I had heard Mandalay has been a ghost town, but that was not the case. Place was pretty crowded and man was the betting window guy I got stingy with drinks. We like betting at mandalay because they have the best free bottled beer selection on the strip. Usually have no issues getting a pile of drink tickets each time I go to the window. Made 300 bucks in bets, tipped him 10 bucks. I asked him for drink tickets after he offered zero(which never happens). He told me it was supposed to be 1 ticket for each single $200 bet, but he would give me one, even though my biggest bet was $50. Went back up to the window later to place some futures bets that totaled 90 bucks. Gave the girl a 100 and she gave me back 90 bucks. I laughed and told her it would be great if I could make 90 bucks worth of bets for 10 bucks. She was very thankful I spoke up. She asked if I needed any drink tickets and I said sure. She gave me 8.

Went to eat at planet hollywood and when I went to pay with my points, I didnt have any. Knew this was impossible so I went to the Total rewards booth afterwards and complained. They told me my points had expired in november because I hadnt earned any since may. Logged into my account and saw that I had in fact earned points in August. I actually still had in my possession several winning tickets that were from our august trip that I hadnt had the chance to cash yet. Also had some futures bets. The woman gets all of my info and said yeah there is no reason I should have lost all of my points, but she couldnt do anything for me right away. Explained the process to me and told me some line(or at least I thought) about having to contact everybody that awarded the points one by one to get them to reissue. Thought this was baloney, but I have been logging in daily to my account and I can see it must be true because each day I have a couple thousand more points. That's a pretty messed up system.   

Had a good weekend last weekend. Got comped three nights at luxor. Was weird having a view directly above where the shooting occurred. Could see the fuel tanks easily as well as why everybody funneled to MGM and Tropicana. 

I had heard Mandalay has been a ghost town, but that was not the case. Place was pretty crowded and man was the betting window guy I got stingy with drinks. We like betting at mandalay because they have the best free bottled beer selection on the strip. Usually have no issues getting a pile of drink tickets each time I go to the window. Made 300 bucks in bets, tipped him 10 bucks. I asked him for drink tickets after he offered zero(which never happens). He told me it was supposed to be 1 ticket for each single $200 bet, but he would give me one, even though my biggest bet was $50. Went back up to the window later to place some futures bets that totaled 90 bucks. Gave the girl a 100 and she gave me back 90 bucks. I laughed and told her it would be great if I could make 90 bucks worth of bets for 10 bucks. She was very thankful I spoke up. She asked if I needed any drink tickets and I said sure. She gave me 8.

Went to eat at planet hollywood and when I went to pay with my points, I didnt have any. Knew this was impossible so I went to the Total rewards booth afterwards and complained. They told me my points had expired in november because I hadnt earned any since may. Logged into my account and saw that I had in fact earned points in August. I actually still had in my possession several winning tickets that were from our august trip that I hadnt had the chance to cash yet. Also had some futures bets. The woman gets all of my info and said yeah there is no reason I should have lost all of my points, but she couldnt do anything for me right away. Explained the process to me and told me some line(or at least I thought) about having to contact everybody that awarded the points one by one to get them to reissue. Thought this was baloney, but I have been logging in daily to my account and I can see it must be true because each day I have a couple thousand more points. That's a pretty messed up system.   
Harrah's points expire after only 6 months now? That's some bull####.

I'll be there in March so considering this.  Did you see a video? The article I read said it was all conceptual at this point.  $30 with LOCAL discount on their website
They had a 2 minute video on YouTube that has since been taken down. Lots of images of Andy Kaufman, Tim&Eric, and other crazy images. 

Going downtown tonight and wanted to eat at a steakhouse. Anything better than Vic and Anthony's at the Golden Nugget?

God, people who go to Vegas are garbage. I really feel bad for the locals who put up with the ####ty tourists.
A friend of mine used to live there. She said "It's awful - people come here to do whatever they want and act like jerks" (stronger words used). I mean, yea, that is the point of the place, but it does affect locals.

Last time there, we had a car and ventured out from the strip/downtown, and it's a pretty depressing place overall. It's ugly, has zero charm/soul, and nobody is happy. Most of the folks we talked to regret moving there. 

A friend of mine used to live there. She said "It's awful - people come here to do whatever they want and act like jerks" (stronger words used). I mean, yea, that is the point of the place, but it does affect locals.

Last time there, we had a car and ventured out from the strip/downtown, and it's a pretty depressing place overall. It's ugly, has zero charm/soul, and nobody is happy. Most of the folks we talked to regret moving there. 
I am guessing you went to different parts than I have. We know some couples that live near summerlin and they love it. I think many people have a hard time getting over the visuals of the place. There aren't big green areas, no historic buildings, etc. School football fields look awful compared to what somebody in North Carolina would be used too. 

I certainly won't disagree that there are some Vegas residents that wish they were elsewhere--but as a person who owns land in Vegas and considers Vegas his second home--this is not really an accurate assessment in totality. Most Vegas locals do not live or go anywhere near the strip or downtown.   If you drove to areas like Red Rock, Summerlin, Silverado Ranch, Henderson, Seven Hills, Southern Highlands (and many more areas)--you will find hoards of locals who are very happy residing there.  In regards to the areas around Downtown--a lot of those areas are actually in North Las Vegas (which is a completely different city, with its own budget--namely budget problems). North Las Vegas does have some pretty depressed areas due to some of these economic issues. 

On a different note--for anybody that goes to Vegas and has their own vehicle (I wouldn't recommend if you needed to Uber or taxicab it as they are pretty far from the strip) between now and New Years--you should check out the Magical Forest by the opportunity village charity if you are with your loved ones/family.  It's really beautiful and supports a wonderful local charity.   The glittering lights display at the Las Vegas motor speedway is also really cool and fun. 

I am guessing you went to different parts than I have. We know some couples that live near summerlin and they love it. I think many people have a hard time getting over the visuals of the place. There aren't big green areas, no historic buildings, etc. School football fields look awful compared to what somebody in North Carolina would be used too. 
Yea, that's definitely clouding my thought. Aside from the lights / tourist areas, you'd be hard pressed to find an uglier city.

I certainly won't disagree that there are some Vegas residents that wish they were elsewhere--but as a person who owns land in Vegas and considers Vegas his second home--this is not really an accurate assessment in totality. Most Vegas locals do not live or go anywhere near the strip or downtown.   If you drove to areas like Red Rock, Summerlin, Silverado Ranch, Henderson, Seven Hills, Southern Highlands (and many more areas)--you will find hoards of locals who are very happy residing there.  In regards to the areas around Downtown--a lot of those areas are actually in North Las Vegas (which is a completely different city, with its own budget--namely budget problems). North Las Vegas does have some pretty depressed areas due to some of these economic issues. 
I confess to not knowing the areas/towns I visited. I do know there were some really nice places on the way out to Mt. Charleston/etc, so I am sure my experience might have been skewed. A lot of my experience on that was seeing the million or so strip malls, talking to people while having breakfast / lunch around there, my friends friends, etc. The kid in the record store (forgot the name, but really nice used record store - by the egg place a few miles off strip?) was the one who made the "everyone comes to do what they want" comment. 

Anybody know of any townhouses or condo rentals in Vegas? We are going with my daughter and would rather have a full kitchen and a couple bedrooms. We went with her last year and did westin lake las vegas, but we would rather have more room and not be jammed up against other people in case she wakes up crying in the night or something. 

Anybody know of any townhouses or condo rentals in Vegas? We are going with my daughter and would rather have a full kitchen and a couple bedrooms. We went with her last year and did westin lake las vegas, but we would rather have more room and not be jammed up against other people in case she wakes up crying in the night or something. 
MGM Signature

Wyndham Grand Desert is super solid--their 2 bedroom units are roomy and it has a nice location, HGVC at the Flamingo is really good, Marriott Grand Chateau is also very solid.  These are timeshare places that are set up like condos.  Feel free to PM me with your desired dates and I can contact my friends who have timeshares there to get you prices and availabilities.  

Absolutely pumped to be going for Thursday-Friday of opening of March Madness this year.  Gonna get a poolside cabana Thursday and doing the all-you-can-eat/drink deal at Lagasse's on Friday.  

Anyone have a good "in" for MGM Grand shows?  I'd like to go sweat my #### off dancin' it up to Tiesto on Thursday night while I'm there.  Only $40 which is totally reasonable, but if someone had an in for the VIP package or a discounted ticket that would be rad.

Just booked my very reasonable JetBlue flight (after planning on driving, but checked JB for the heck of it and found a great fare) and can't tell you how badly I need a few nights away with zero responsibilities.

Gonna throw down some parlays, maybe do some low-limit poker and just relax.  Seriously counting the days.  

Absolutely pumped to be going for Thursday-Friday of opening of March Madness this year.  Gonna get a poolside cabana Thursday and doing the all-you-can-eat/drink deal at Lagasse's on Friday.  

Anyone have a good "in" for MGM Grand shows?  I'd like to go sweat my #### off dancin' it up to Tiesto on Thursday night while I'm there.  Only $40 which is totally reasonable, but if someone had an in for the VIP package or a discounted ticket that would be rad.

Just booked my very reasonable JetBlue flight (after planning on driving, but checked JB for the heck of it and found a great fare) and can't tell you how badly I need a few nights away with zero responsibilities.

Gonna throw down some parlays, maybe do some low-limit poker and just relax.  Seriously counting the days.  
There are no “discounts” for Tiesto or other huge acts during peak times like March madness. If you’re just going in on a GA ticket like that you better get there early, as well. 

Heading out in May for a weekend.   :pickle:   
May is one of my favorite times to go. Usually so tired of cold weather that the heat is so welcoming, but it isnt mind melting punishing yet. The hiking at higher elevations is amazing at that time of year there.

I love baseball so sunday mornings at the book in may are my favorite. Like ten games on at once and no other sports(maybe one NBA game) so they are all up on screen. 

Users who are viewing this thread