What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vegas (2 Viewers)

If you buy presale tickets online from the club websites you eliminate the need for a host unless you're getting bottle service.

Tickets are cheaper ($30-$60) and there is generally a separate line for presales that is different from GA and even guestlist. Often times you get in before or just as fast as bottle service.

So unless you're getting bottle service or hate preplanning where you'll party then presales is way to go.

My ranking of clubs:

XS

Marquee

Hakaasan

Never been to 1OAK or Light.

If you buy presale tickets online from the club websites you eliminate the need for a host unless you're getting bottle service.

Tickets are cheaper ($30-$60) and there is generally a separate line for presales that is different from GA and even guestlist. Often times you get in before or just as fast as bottle service.

So unless you're getting bottle service or hate preplanning where you'll party then presales is way to go.

My ranking of clubs:

XS

Marquee

Hakaasan

Never been to 1OAK or Light.
Presales can be issue on Fri/Sat if showing up past midnight (sometimes earlier on primo / extremely busy nights). There are tons of stories of groups of guys getting turned away when showing up at 1am with presales. In fact I think it even states an arrival deadline on the presale tickets themselves IIRC.

Just something to consider if your group is the type to like to arrive late or tends to run behind schedule.

Just booked my trip for April 18th - April 23rd. Late honeymoon for the wife and myself. I have been to Vegas 3 times, wife has never been. Staying at the Mirage in a One Bedroom Penthouse Suite for the price of the basic king room rate. I originally e-mailed the Mirage about my upcoming trip and received a rather cold e-mail back from someone. I brought it to the attention of the person who oversees their Tripadvisor.com reviews and she was very apologetic and offered a free upgrade. We cannot wait!

We are renting a car and plan on doing some sightseeing...Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon, Mt Charleston, Grand Canyon

:thumbup: No16

Re: Bottle Service, understand that they generally require 1 bottle per 3 guys. Bottles are ~$500ea plus ~35% in gratuities/taxes/tips... so figure about $225-250/head to start for tables. However also must keep in mind:

• Most better clubs will have $1k-1.5k mins AT LEAST for the lesser tables in the club. Primo locations go a LOT more ($5k-10k+ isn't uncommon).
• 1 Liter of booze isn't likely enough for 3 guys... and it's DEFINITELY not enough once you start inviting women back to your table. $400-500/head all-in is a lot better starting point for night club bottle service. It's quite expensive... though there are significant benefits if you can swing it.

Just booked my trip for April 18th - April 23rd. Late honeymoon for the wife and myself. I have been to Vegas 3 times, wife has never been. Staying at the Mirage in a One Bedroom Penthouse Suite for the price of the basic king room rate. I originally e-mailed the Mirage about my upcoming trip and received a rather cold e-mail back from someone. I brought it to the attention of the person who oversees their Tripadvisor.com reviews and she was very apologetic and offered a free upgrade. We cannot wait!

We are renting a car and plan on doing some sightseeing...Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon, Mt Charleston, Grand Canyon
Make a reservation for brunch for 2 at Mon Ami Gabi for April 19th/20th. Arrive a few mins early and explain the anniversary situation, slip the concierge $10-20 and request a table along the railing on the patio. Trust me. She will LOVE it.

Make a reservation for brunch for 2 at Mon Ami Gabi for April 19th/20th. Arrive a few mins early and explain the anniversary situation, slip the concierge $10-20 and request a table along the railing on the patio. Trust me. She will LOVE it.
Nice, thanks for the recommendation! The restaurant looks amazing and I know she will love it, definitely her style.

For you golfers, I highly recommend Royal Links. Patterned after Scottish/British courses and in excellent condition! Get discounted tee times at golfnow.com

Officer Pete Malloy said:
buck naked said:
Balco said:
Has anyone vacationed in Vegas for longer than a week?
I know a couple that spent 5 nights in Vegas...but they don't drink or gamble.

I never really understood the point.
7 fantasy drafts in 3 days in early September and then watching football on Sunday = good point.
:lmao:
You can laugh all you want. I'm on my way to Kauai this Spring Break on a portion of my winnings from last season. Maybe I'll go :shark:

while I'm there.

The one thing I want to do on my next trip is rose.rabbit.lie. I still suggest Absinthe to everyone that goes to Vegas, but I've seen it twice now. Very much looking forward to seeing what Spiegelworld puts together with more space...

http://roserabbitlie.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing I want to do on my next trip is rose.rabbit.lie. I still suggest Absinthe to everyone that goes to Vegas, but I've seen it twice now. Very much looking forward to seeing what Spiegelworld puts together with more space...

I always recommend this too. But hadn't heard of the update.

One of the appealing things of the old show though was the smallish space.

They are entirely different things. Absinthe is a show in the traditional sense - buy a ticket, sit in a seat, leave after. From what I gather, rose.rabbit.lie is more free-flowing. The space itself is a set of doors leading to various rooms. Some lead to the main showroom while others lead to unknown destinations. Random entertainment pops up in those other rooms. Apparently it all turns into an interactive nightclub after midnight. They are being very secretive about the show since it opened, so it is still very mysterious.

They are entirely different things. Absinthe is a show in the traditional sense - buy a ticket, sit in a seat, leave after. From what I gather, rose.rabbit.lie is more free-flowing. The space itself is a set of doors leading to various rooms. Some lead to the main showroom while others lead to unknown destinations. Random entertainment pops up in those other rooms. Apparently it all turns into an interactive nightclub after midnight. They are being very secretive about the show since it opened, so it is still very mysterious.
sounds awesome.

Understand that if you're just looking for cheaper food / Cheaper rooms then there are some great off strip spots that will accommodate you. Downtown is allegedly experiencing a bit of a renaissance (likely due to this factor we're discussing here). Likely can get a solid room, cheaper gambling and quality but cheaper eats there. I can't speak to it as I've never been downtown but others in this thread frequent it and have discussed options in here.
Can anyone speak as to the quality downtown? I have wandered in to a few of those places on trips downtown for a show and they always struck my as smokey/smelly/dingy. I wouldn't care if it were just me. But if the room wreaked of smoke, I can pretty much guarantee the wife would not be letting me enjoy the trip. Recommendations welcome.

Anybody ever been to the Downtown Cocktail Room?
Yes. Great if you can get a seat at the bar and talk to the bartenders...they'll make up something for you on the spot. It's still fun if you need to sit at a table, too. I'd go early enough for Happy Hour if you are in town on a weekday.

http://www.fremontstreetbars.com/fremont-east-bars/downtown-cocktail-room/
Thanks. I'll be right by there this weekend. Going to give it a try.

Understand that if you're just looking for cheaper food / Cheaper rooms then there are some great off strip spots that will accommodate you. Downtown is allegedly experiencing a bit of a renaissance (likely due to this factor we're discussing here). Likely can get a solid room, cheaper gambling and quality but cheaper eats there. I can't speak to it as I've never been downtown but others in this thread frequent it and have discussed options in here.
Can anyone speak as to the quality downtown? I have wandered in to a few of those places on trips downtown for a show and they always struck my as smokey/smelly/dingy. I wouldn't care if it were just me. But if the room wreaked of smoke, I can pretty much guarantee the wife would not be letting me enjoy the trip. Recommendations welcome.
Downtown and the strip are like two different worlds.

I love staying downtown. But then again I go to Vegas to drink and gamble. That's about it.

If you're interesting in fancy restaurants, shows, etc etc stick to the Strip.

I've stayed in rooms where there was definitely a smoke smell while others not so much. IIRC when I stayed at the Golden Nugget last year the room was clean and smell-free.

Tip if you stay downtown: There's a Wal-Greens at the end of Fremont. Maybe a 5 minute walk from wherever you're staying. Go in there and buy a bottle of Febreeze. Use it on everything in your room including your clothes.

You guys sure do a lot of goofy crap when you go to Vegas.
[icon] is the man, but damn, his Vegas is different than mine. Probably a lot better, just very different. To me, Vegas was always $5 prime rib dinners, $1.50 beers (x 20-30 per night), huge piles of cocaine, Sigma Derby till dawn, yards of Old Crow & Coke, getting shot down by cocktail waitresses (usually) and $5 roulette/blackjack tables. The whole club/bottle service/pool party scene they have going on out there now doesn't appeal to me one iota. I can drive to Miami in 2 1/2 hours if I want the "see and be seen" crowd, house music, and $12 beers - there's no reason for me to fly to Vegas any more. I'm not the kind of cocksman that thrives in that environment.

It's a shame to me, because I was there about every other weekend for 2 1/2 years straight and had connections for everything from industrial grade ecstasy to $9 rooms pretty much all over town and pretty much just let it all lapse. I miss old Vegas.

Vegas sure has changed a lot, even in the 15 or so years I've been going. Downtown used to be all smoky, run down hotels. I went down there last year for the first time in a while and it's really different. The Golden Nugget is really nice. A few other spots really trying to appeal to the younger crowd. The club scene amazes me....so many young people with so much money. I kind of wish I had gone with the right crew before I got married, but no sense in going now. I did go to LAX once with a few couples and I can see the draw if you are single. I go every March for the NCAA Tourney with a group of guys and every September for the first NFL weekend with a few couples. It's amazing how different those 2 trips can be. With the guys, it's sports betting, craps and poker pretty much exclusively. With the wife, it's some time in the room, some time by the pool, seeing a show like Le Reve, dinner at SW, some drinks at Mix or the Chandalier Bar, etc. Still some gambling, but not as much. It's a great place to go back and back to, because it has everything, no matter what you are looking for. The place sure makes you feel your age, though. Every time I walk by a club at 2 am it's a mixture of wishing I was inside and relief that I don't have to deal with being single anymore.

[icon] is the man, but damn, his Vegas is different than mine. Probably a lot better, just very different. To me, Vegas was always $5 prime rib dinners, $1.50 beers (x 20-30 per night), huge piles of cocaine, Sigma Derby till dawn, yards of Old Crow & Coke, getting shot down by cocktail waitresses (usually) and $5 roulette/blackjack tables. The whole club/bottle service/pool party scene they have going on out there now doesn't appeal to me one iota. I can drive to Miami in 2 1/2 hours if I want the "see and be seen" crowd, house music, and $12 beers - there's no reason for me to fly to Vegas any more. I'm not the kind of cocksman that thrives in that environment.

It's a shame to me, because I was there about every other weekend for 2 1/2 years straight and had connections for everything from industrial grade ecstasy to $9 rooms pretty much all over town and pretty much just let it all lapse. I miss old Vegas.
Dont get me wrong... I generally am not out there doing Bottle service on the regular. July Bachelor party trip we did daybeds twice (only intended on once, but 2nd was impromptu due to getting good deal from host). I've never done bottle service at night in a club as I don't really see the value in it on the times I've gone. with the right group I'm sure I would. In the past I've just generally gone in on guestlist with a host walk-in though.

Generally though, I'm bar/pub hopping and aiming for better deals on food/drink. I prefer to stick to nicer properties for the environment but make a point to drop in cheaper places for certain deals periodically on the trip.

Just wanted to clarify that I'm def not that guy doing bottle service everywhere I go out there :)

I have stayed downtown for our Super Bowl trip for years. Have stayed at the 4 Queens and Plaza and both were smoke free and decent rooms. It's not the Bellagio but as good or better than the Flamingo, for reference.

Try the pizza joint in the back of the Plaza, it is authentic NYC pizza

The Plaza also has Hash House which is giant portions and good food.

The Freemont has a nice buffet for breakfast. Avoid it for dinner.

Nugget has a nice buffet anytime.

Dont get me wrong... I generally am not out there doing Bottle service on the regular. July Bachelor party trip we did daybeds twice (only intended on once, but 2nd was impromptu due to getting good deal from host). I've never done bottle service at night in a club as I don't really see the value in it on the times I've gone. with the right group I'm sure I would. In the past I've just generally gone in on guestlist with a host walk-in though.

Generally though, I'm bar/pub hopping and aiming for better deals on food/drink. I prefer to stick to nicer properties for the environment but make a point to drop in cheaper places for certain deals periodically on the trip.

Just wanted to clarify that I'm def not that guy doing bottle service everywhere I go out there :)
The bolded pretty much describes me to a T. The thing is, at one time not very long ago, the atmosphere and value weren't mutually exclusive. There used to be a lot of overlap there, but not so much these days. I remember getting $1.50 Bud bottles at Mirage in the 90s, last time I went, I was paying $11 for a beer and a martini at frigging Excalibur.

Take out the drug stuff and that is what I was saying. Cheap food, cheap drinks, cheap tables. All that is gone now, and so is my reason for going. Though perhaps the downtown area may be worth a shot from what I am reading here now.

Take out the drug stuff and that is what I was saying. Cheap food, cheap drinks, cheap tables. All that is gone now, and so is my reason for going. Though perhaps the downtown area may be worth a shot from what I am reading here now.
If you're looking for "cheap" downtown is where it's at. As long as you're not some sort of snob it's great. And as it has been mentioned here more than once there are a lot of places that have spruced things up. It definitely isn't as grungy as it was 10-12 years ago. In fact some places are looking pretty sweet (Golden Nugget is the best example).

I like to put it this way: I don't go to LV to pretend I'm rich for a few days. Overpriced hotels, restaurants, cheesy shows, spas, shopping, etc do nothing for me. Fortunately my wife feels the same way.

One of my favorite things about downtown is that if you don't like one place there's another 50 feet away. Everything is literally within a 5 mile walk.

I've had 3 day trips on Fremont street where I've never used a cab or driven anywhere the entire time.

Do not go downtown if you're looking for eye candy. It's just not there.

Pro-tip: Buy yourself a couple of American Casino Guides off of ebay. There are great coupons in there. For instance, M-Fri, you can get a bogo Buffet at Golden Nugget. That 1 coupon nearly pays for the cost of the Guide. i find it fun to get the deals and there are lots of match play coupons in there too.

The piles of cocaine are key. I don't touch the stuff except at bachelor parties or in Vegas. Which at my age means twice a decade basically. But they're still key.

If you're looking for "cheap" downtown is where it's at. As long as you're not some sort of snob it's great. And as it has been mentioned here more than once there are a lot of places that have spruced things up. It definitely isn't as grungy as it was 10-12 years ago. In fact some places are looking pretty sweet (Golden Nugget is the best example).

I like to put it this way: I don't go to LV to pretend I'm rich for a few days. Overpriced hotels, restaurants, cheesy shows, spas, shopping, etc do nothing for me. Fortunately my wife feels the same way.

One of my favorite things about downtown is that if you don't like one place there's another 50 feet away. Everything is literally within a 5 mile walk.

I've had 3 day trips on Fremont street where I've never used a cab or driven anywhere the entire time.
Agree with all of this. Only thing that downtown doesn't have IMO is a good sportsbook for folks who want to stay and watch games all day (like football season). LVH is the key to this.

We switched from staying at the LVH to staying downtown last year and we're not going back....for all the reasons you mention above. We cab it to the LVH early saturday/sunday morning and back after the games are done. Then spend the rest of the night on freemont

anyone ever bring entertainment up to the room for bachelor party instead of going to a strip club:
not in Vegas but plenty of times in AC
IYO better than going to club?
we always did in home entertainment at my buddies house also.... it is hit or miss with the girls but definitely have had a few that was way better than a club. Not going to lie though it is a tad creepy with 12 guys and 2 girls in a standard room :lol:

Here's another vote for spending some time downtown. When I go with my buddies we always plan to spend a night downtown drinking like crazy. It's a blast down there - totally different vibe than the strip.

Of course, we also find ourselves ending up at O'Shea's or the IP gambling on our "strip" nights anyway. It's really weird. We like to stay at the nice hotels (Venetian, Bellagio, Wynn, etc.), but we like to gamble at the total crap holes. I guess we have all "made it," but we really enjoy reliving the old days from 25 years ago.

If I was just looking for cheap gambling/hotels/eats around a bunch of middle Americans, I have that all down in tunica. If I'm looking for that, I get that with a 30 min drive vs a $500 flight. Comped rooms and buffets are eaaaaasy to come by.... as are $5-10 tables, full pay video poker, 100x odds craps and 3/2 blackjack. I guess that explains why I prefer more upscale places when I head out to Vegas. :shrug:

If I was just looking for cheap gambling/hotels/eats around a bunch of middle Americans, I have that all down in tunica. If I'm looking for that, I get that with a 30 min drive vs a $500 flight. Comped rooms and buffets are eaaaaasy to come by.... as are $5-10 tables, full pay video poker, 100x odds craps and 3/2 blackjack. I guess that explains why I prefer more upscale places when I head out to Vegas. :shrug:
I think those of us pining for the "old school Vegas" maybe are a little older than you, or at least took our first trips to Vegas much longer ago than you did. I'm 48 and started going to Vegas with buddies when I was 18, so that's 30 years ago. We went because it was an awesome time - cheap food (like, really cheap), cheap gambling, and cheap rooms. We didn't have Indian casinos back then, so Vegas was it. I have probably gone every year at least once since I was 18 (I might have skipped a few here and there), so I've seen it change a lot. I REALLY like the changes, and I really like the nice hotels, especially when I'm with my wife. But when my high school buddies and I go for a few nights we like to get back as close to the "old days" as we can, and downtown is that for us.

We never hit the clubs and we don't care about the pool scenes. But we love drinking beer, gambling until wee hours, and getting ridiculous for a few nights. To each his own.

[icon] is the man, but damn, his Vegas is different than mine. Probably a lot better, just very different. To me, Vegas was always $5 prime rib dinners, $1.50 beers (x 20-30 per

night), huge piles of cocaine, Sigma Derby till dawn, yards of Old Crow & Coke, getting shot down by cocktail waitresses (usually) and $5 roulette/blackjack tables. The whole club/bottle

service/pool party scene they have going on out there now doesn't appeal to me one iota. I can drive to Miami in 2 1/2 hours if I want the "see and be seen" crowd, house music, and $12

beers - there's no reason for me to fly to Vegas any more. I'm not the kind of cocksman that thrives in that environment.

It's a shame to me, because I was there about every other weekend for 2 1/2 years straight and had connections for everything from industrial grade ecstasy to $9 rooms pretty much all over

town and pretty much just let it all lapse. I miss old Vegas.
Take out the drug stuff and that is what I was saying. Cheap food, cheap drinks, cheap tables. All that is gone now, and so is my reason for going. Though perhaps the downtown area may be worth a shot from what I am reading here

now.
If you're looking for "cheap" downtown is where

it's at. As long as you're not some sort of snob it's great. And as it has been mentioned here more than once there are a lot of places that have spruced things up. It definitely isn't as

grungy as it was 10-12 years ago. In fact some places are looking pretty sweet (Golden Nugget is the best example).

I like to put it this way: I don't go to LV to pretend I'm rich for a few days. Overpriced hotels, restaurants, cheesy shows, spas, shopping, etc do nothing for me. Fortunately

my wife feels the same way.

One of my favorite things about downtown is that if you don't like one place there's another 50 feet

away. Everything is literally within a 5 mile walk.

Agree with all of this. Only thing that downtown doesn't have IMO is a good sportsbook for folks

who want to stay and watch games all day (like football season). LVH is the key to this.

We switched from staying at the LVH to staying

downtown last year and we're not going back....for all the reasons you mention above. We cab it to the LVH early saturday/sunday morning and back after the games are done. Then spend the rest of the night on freemont
Actually, I just stayed at the Plaza downtown and they've done a really nice upgrade to their sportsbook area. TV-lined walls and much more seating. Worth a look.

anyone ever bring entertainment up to the room for bachelor party instead of going to a strip club:
not in Vegas but plenty of times in AC
IYO better than going to club?
we always did in home entertainment at my buddies house also.... it is hit or miss with the girls but definitely have had a few that was way better than a club. Not going to lie though it is a tad creepy with 12 guys and 2 girls in a standard room :lol:
we got a suite!

Checked out the Golden Nugget web page and some web reviews. I'm pretty impressed. May go out there in April for my birthday. A short stint on Fremont to check it out and see how we like it. Thanks for the tips guys.

Yes. Great if you can get a seat at the bar and talk to the bartenders...they'll make up something for you on the spot. It's still fun if you need to sit at a table, too. I'd go early enough for Happy Hour if you are in town on a weekday.

This weekend? :o I fly in tomorrow. Set us up the cornhole?

Sounds like big trouble. You're going to need plenty of legal advice before this thing is over. As your attorney, I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top. And you'll need the cocaine. Tape recorder for special messages. Acapulco shirts.

WAIT WHAT?!?! When are you getting there and where are you staying?

Land at 4:20 Thursday. Leave sometime Monday god willing. Staying at the Flamingo but would like to make it downtown at some point.

Bachelor party of 12 or 13 but no chance we'll all stick together for four days.

Land at 4:20 Thursday. Leave sometime Monday god willing. Staying at the Flamingo but would like to make it downtown at some point.

Bachelor party of 12 or 13 but no chance we'll all stick together for four days.
Sweet. Wife and I are driving in sometime Saturday. Probably get into town around noon. We'll be free the rest of Saturday. Sunday evening we're going to the Hard Rock to see Pixies. Probably head back home Monday afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread