What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick Indicted ! ? (1 Viewer)

Grand Jury Indicts Vick

ESPN

Michael Vick has been indicted by a federal grand jury in connection with the dogfighting probe of his house in Virginia.

The Falcons quarterback was indicted for conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in animal fighting venture in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District in Richmond, Va. Three others -- Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor -- also were indicted by the grand jury on the same charges.
bye bye scumbag!!! :bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940065

I had a feeling that this thing wasn't over. Now we can start talking suspension. I think he could easily get 8 games just for being indicted, especially given the thorough and careful nature of the investigation.
Seriously doubt it. Indicted is not convicted. I know, Pacman wasn't convicted either, but his involvement was pretty clear cut and came with a laundry list of other issues. Vick has never had any prior problems, (other than giving the fans the finger). The NFL will take the wait-and-see approach on this I think. But if he's convicted, they'll bring the hammer down.

Does anyone out there think that DJ Shockley could get a shot to start in training camp? Anyone else feeling sorry for Bobby Petrino right now?

I guess that settles Yudkin's question of VY vs. Vick.
Nope. At least not IMO. Just because you are indicted does not automatically mean you are convicted.IIRC, the league waits for a player to be tried and convicted or plea bargains before they take disciplinary action. How quickly does the system of jurice prudence work in this country? Didn't Barry Bonds get indicted? Was he suspended? All that would have to happen within 6 months for a suspension to occur for this season (and that would be around the last week or two of the season). Even so, Vick could always appeal through the NFLPA and drag things out.At this point I still don't see Vick in danger of missing time from suspension (unless the Falcons want to try to do something on their own).

I had a feeling that this thing wasn't over. Now we can start talking suspension. I think he could easily get 8 games just for being indicted, especially given the thorough and careful nature of the investigation.
Seriously doubt it. Indicted is not convicted. I know, Pacman wasn't convicted either, but his involvement was pretty clear cut and came with a laundry list of other issues. Vick has never had any prior problems, (other than giving the fans the finger). The NFL will take the wait-and-see approach on this I think. But if he's convicted, they'll bring the hammer down.
Don't forget that Goodell had his own investigation crew on this one. If their evidence corresponds with what the Feds have found, he might be more swift to act. The zero tolerance stuff is no joke.

I just served on a Grand Jury if he is indicted, he is in deep trouble

Would the early speculation be this will roll through the courts some time after this season?
That's my take on it. If nothing else, I'm sure Vick's attorneys will look to drag this out and ask for it to be continued until after the season.

Anyone else think "indicted on conspiracy to transport dogs used in dog-fighting" sounds like the weakest of charges possible? I am also in the camp that I think the Commish waits for a conviction here first before leveling any suspension due to what looks like a pretty weak indictment. My take is this doesn't impact Vick's games played this season.

I wonder if owner Blank might not just tell Mike to have a seat for the season. I've read rumblings that he is really PO'd with Vick.

They can see what they can get out of Shockley/Harrington/Redman.

Does anyone out there think that DJ Shockley could get a shot to start in training camp? Anyone else feeling sorry for Bobby Petrino right now?
I feel better for Patrino, VICK HAS BEEN THE MOST OVERATED PIECE OF CRAP IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Now the Falcons get to move on and get a QB, Harrington will be much, much better then Vick. They Can trade or draft an upgrade later. Who knows maybe Daunte goes to the Falcons, that would funny Daunte and Harrington reunited once again.

I feel better for Patrino, VICK HAS BEEN THE MOST OVERATED PIECE OF CRAP IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Now the Falcons get to move on and get a QB, Harrington will be much, much better then Vick. They Can trade or draft an upgrade later. Who knows maybe Daunte goes to the Falcons, that would funny Daunte and Harrington reunited once again.
:shrug: :bag: overated is an understatement. Can he catch, they should put him at WR.

Falcons' Vick indicted by grand jury in dogfighting probe

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 17, 2007, 5:31 PM ET

Michael Vick has been indicted by a federal grand jury in connection with the dogfighting probe of his property in Virginia.

The Falcons quarterback was indicted for conspiracy to traffic in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District in Richmond, Va. Three others -- Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor -- also were indicted by the grand jury on the same charges.

According to court documents filed by federal authorities earlier this month, dog fights have been sponsored by "Bad Newz Kennels" at the property since at least 2002. For the events, participants and dogs traveled from South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, New York, Texas and other states.

Members of the venture also knowingly transported, delivered and received dogs for animal fighting, the documents state.

Fifty-four pit bulls were recovered from the property during searches in April, along with a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.

The property was used as the "main staging area for housing and training the pit bulls involved in the dog fighting venture," according to the filings.

The documents said the fights usually occurred late at night or in the early morning and would last several hours. The winning dog would win from "hundreds up to thousands of dollars," and participants and spectators also would place bets on the fight.

Before fights, the participating dogs of the same sex would be weighed and bathed, according to the filings. Opposing dogs would be washed to remove any poison or narcotic placed on the dog's coat that could affect the other dog's performance. Sometimes participants would not feed a dog before the fight to "make it more hungry for the other dog," the documents said.

Fights would end when one dog died or with the surrender of the losing dog, which was sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gun shot, electrocution or some other method, according to the documents. The property has an above-ground swimming pool, and investigators were seen looking into the pool Friday.

During a June search of the property, investigators uncovered the graves of seven pit bulls that were killed by members of "Bad Newz Kennels" following sessions to test whether dogs would be good fighters, the documents said.

Members of "Bad Newz Kennels" also sponsored and exhibited fights in other parts of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, New Jersey and other states, the filings said.

On June 7, federal law enforcement officials descended on the property with a search warrant. More than a dozen vehicles went to the home early that day and investigators searched inside before turning their attention to the area where officials found dozens of dogs in late April and evidence that suggested the home was involved in a dogfighting operation.

Surry County officials had secured a search warrant in late May based on an informant's information to look for as many as 30 dog carcasses buried on the property. The warrant never was executed because Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald G. Poindexter said he had issues with the way it was worded.

The results of that search have remained sealed.

At the time, Poindexter expressed surprise at why the federal government was involved.

"What is foreign to me is the federal government getting into a dogfighting case," Poindexter said. "I know it's been done, but what's driving this? Is it this boy's celebrity? Would they have done this if it wasn't Michael Vick?"

A day later, "They launched a separate, independent federal investigation," Poindexter said of the government, which has had a representative involved in the local probe all along.

A search warrant affidavit said some of the dogs were in individual kennels and about 30 were tethered with "heavy logging-type chains" buried in the ground. The chains allowed the dogs to get close to each other, but not to have contact, one of myriad findings on the property that suggested a dogfighting operation.

Vick initially said he had no idea the property might have been used in a criminal enterprise and blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity. He also put the house up for sale and reportedly sold it quickly, although there is no record that the sale has closed. Vick has since declined to talk about the investigation.

culpepper and joey ballgame reunited? :shrug:
Yep, good timing for Culpepper to be dropped, eh? He'd fit nicely in ATL...And the one who mentioned them trading off Schaub.. I was thinking the same thing. They got rid of the wrong guy earlier this offseason...

Goodell has set the bar with Pacman and will continue to be extremely unforgiving on players - Vick will be dealth with hard to stay consistant IMO

I just saw on CNN a picture of his house in Virginia. It looks like they have almost tore the house down. All the bricks were off of it.

Anyone else think "indicted on conspiracy to transport dogs used in dog-fighting" sounds like the weakest of charges possible? I am also in the camp that I think the Commish waits for a conviction here first before leveling any suspension due to what looks like a pretty weak indictment. My take is this doen't impact Vick's games played this season.
Federal indictment is no joking matter ... this is a up to three years in prison/$250k fine per violation kind of thing ...This is not a local DA charge.

http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws/feder...law_signed.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Newz_Kenn...g_investigation

Dear Mdog,We thought Harrington wasn't awful as well. We were wrong.We wish you luck with that whole Daunte/Joey thing. Get ready to catch 9-6 fever!Signed, Dolphins Fans

Anyone else think "indicted on conspiracy to transport dogs used in dog-fighting" sounds like the weakest of charges possible? I am also in the camp that I think the Commish waits for a conviction here first before leveling any suspension due to what looks like a pretty weak indictment. My take is this doen't impact Vick's games played this season.
As a Federal Officer I can assure you that conspiracy is not a weak charge, it can lead to many years in prison. The conspiracy charge indidcates that more than one and usually many are involved with commiting the offense. Today's environment of Animal Rights and the fact that darn near everyone has a dog could wind up getting Vick the Maximum under federal law, I believe off hand 5 years.

It's all about interstate commerce when the Feds get involved. The significance of that charge is that any subsequent charges to be filed that are involved with this are automatically federal crimes. Remember integration? Key component in all of that.I think this could be disastrous for Vick legally, and if he is guilty of what people say he is then he deserves it. But seriously, if he is found guilty of gambling on dog-fighting, chances are any winnings/losses were not reported on his taxes, and if the amounts he is accused of betting are even close to true, we could easily be talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Throw that on top of the money-laundering (obviously would have to funnel his winnings into something), cruelty to animals, participation in a known illegal gambling ring across state lines, and of course the federal AND state laws specifically against dogfighting, and dude could conceivably be looking at 15-20 years in jail.

The best thing for Vick would be if he were an incredibly bad gambler.

I have a feeling Vick is going to get suspended right away until this all shakes out. The NFL might spin it like they are giving him a leave of absence so he can concentrate on clearing his name, etc.

BS, I know but this is an ugly thing and I am sure the NFL would like as little publicity for Mike Vick as possible

Just my $0.02

Dear Mdog,We thought Harrington wasn't awful as well. We were wrong.We wish you luck with that whole Daunte/Joey thing. Get ready to catch 9-6 fever!Signed, Dolphins Fans
:toilet: :tfp:

FWIW... Read this the other day. If it were to ever come to that point, the Falcons might have an "out" and be able to void Vick's contract based on conduct:

Tue Jul 10, 2007 --from FFMastermind.com

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports on that giddy day in December 2004 when the Falcons signed QB Michael Vick to a 10-year, $130 million contract, Arthur Blank gushed: "He's a Falcon for life." Vick's contract, though, is not nearly as binding as the Falcons owner's words suggested. If, theoretically, the Falcons wanted to trade or release their embattled quarterback, his contract would not necessarily preclude it. The biggest hurdle would be the impact against the team's salary cap, but that impact, although still hefty, shrank as of June 1. The hit would be $6 million-plus for 2007 and about $15 million for 2008. Property owned by Vick is at the center of an ongoing investigation of an alleged widespread dogfighting operation. The Falcons repeatedly have declined to comment on the situation and did so again Monday, three days after federal investigators executed a second search warrant at Vick's Surry County, Va., property. The Falcons have given no indication of any inclination to unload Vick, who has been involved in a series of off-field controversies. But from a contractual standpoint, what would happen if the team got to that point with him? NFL contracts, unlike those in Major League Baseball, the NBA and the NHL, are not fully guaranteed. That means football players are assured of receiving only the portions of their contracts that are stipulated to be guaranteed — generally signing bonuses. Vick's contract included $37 million in guaranteed bonuses. The rest is in base salary, which increases each year, payable only as long as he remains on the team. The NFL's standard player contract stipulates various grounds under which clubs may terminate the contract. One such stipulation: ". . . f player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract." If a contract is terminated under that clause, the player has the right to file a grievance and have an arbitrator decide whether the club acted reasonably.

"conspiracy to traffic in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture in U.S"

Is this one charge? If so, whats the legal limit on the number of "in"'s one can you fit into one charge? How have these cases went before?

Users who are viewing this thread