What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (1 Viewer)

Plowing through season 1. So, so great. Gaining momentum.

The writing with the woman that Don wants to bed who owns the department store is pretty brutal. Had forgotten this. Maybe because everything else is so fantastic.

####### Flo from Progressive showed up in Episode 8 :lol:

Plowing through season 1. So, so great. Gaining momentum.

The writing with the woman that Don wants to bed who owns the department store is pretty brutal. Had forgotten this. Maybe because everything else is so fantastic.

####### Flo from Progressive showed up in Episode 8 :lol:
Tara from SoA......I just recently binged MM for the first time and I couldn’t not see her as Tara...glad she only had a few eps

Loved this show because I went through the “I like them, now I hate them, now I like them...” gamut with just about every character. 

Except Peter. What a twerp

Loved this show because I went through the “I like them, now I hate them, now I like them...” gamut with just about every character. 

Except Peter. What a twerp
And yet Pete Campbell was one of the best characters. 

"Not Great, Bob." might be the best line delivery ever. 

Awesome show, Roger was the best. Favorite line, after Don comes back from a sales meeting with I believe the American Cancer Society,  in a way only he could present it "so did you get cancer".

Awesome show, Roger was the best. Favorite line, after Don comes back from a sales meeting with I believe the American Cancer Society,  in a way only he could present it "so did you get cancer".
Best line was "Just when he was getting his foot in the door."    When they guy from Europe lost his foot.

Following Cosgrove closer this time.  He had some great ones also.

Missed this show when it was initially on, but now it's finally available for free with commercials on Prime so I started watching last night.  I've seen a lot of youtube clips of the show, but seeing an entire episode is still worth seeing familiar scenes again. Ironically,  I finally got the LA Noire game recently, which seems to have half the cast in it, so the timing works well for that too.

Only watched S1E1 last night, had a couple of thoughts...

1. Didn't realize how much they telegraphed Sal's sexual preferences. It feels like they wanted to make sure we would be in on the secret while everyone around him is too clueless to figure it out.

2. I missed that Peggy and Pete had relations in the first episode. Not sure how I feel about that in light of her "I'm not that kind of girl" comment at least twice in the episode.

While I regret not seeing this in its initial run, I'm glad I finally get the chance to experience it for myself.  Should be able to watch episode 2 tonight.

The magic of Peggy is that she never actually knew what kind of girl she was. Rather, she was bound & determined not to be afraid of whatever that turned out be be. I looooved them gals backinaday.

Powerwatched the last four seasons of Mad Men - my alltime favorite show - when Netflix announced their dropping of it. Now i know why i only watched an ep or two per week - the bitterness becomes palpable on a binge

The magic of Peggy is that she never actually knew what kind of girl she was. Rather, she was bound & determined not to be afraid of whatever that turned out be be. I looooved them gals backinaday.

Powerwatched the last four seasons of Mad Men - my alltime favorite show - when Netflix announced their dropping of it. Now i know why i only watched an ep or two per week - the bitterness becomes palpable on a binge
Peggy was awesome and dead on commentary. She said she's not that kind of girl because that's what you were supposed to say though it's very clear through the show that she's whatever girl she wants to be whenever she wants to be it. Such a bad ###. 

Missed this show when it was initially on, but now it's finally available for free with commercials on Prime so I started watching last night.  I've seen a lot of youtube clips of the show, but seeing an entire episode is still worth seeing familiar scenes again. Ironically,  I finally got the LA Noire game recently, which seems to have half the cast in it, so the timing works well for that too.

1. Didn't realize how much they telegraphed Sal's sexual preferences. It feels like they wanted to make sure we would be in on the secret while everyone around him is too clueless to figure it out.

2. I missed that Peggy and Pete had relations in the first episode. Not sure how I feel about that in light of her "I'm not that kind of girl" comment at least twice in the episode.

While I regret not seeing this in its initial run, I'm glad I finally get the chance to experience it for myself.  Should be able to watch episode 2 tonight.
I am a bit confused. Have you seen it before or not? Or just a lot of Youtube clips?

Mine also.   Binge watched it for the third time right after the lock down in March.  Took me two weeks.

I am a bit confused. Have you seen it before or not? Or just a lot of Youtube clips?
Up until last night, just youtube clips.  For as many of them that are out there and can be pieced together to get the gist of the show, there's a whole lot that I haven't seen, so it's familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time. Like last night's episode: I've seen clips of the meeting with the Rachel Menkin, both in the office and the bar, but it was good seeing them in the bigger context of the entire episode, and while I already knew about Sal, like I said above, I didn't realize they were framing his story as we are in on it from the beginning while everyone else is clueless; I thought maybe he would be more in the closest even for us, but nope. NTTAWWT.

Peggy was awesome and dead on commentary. She said she's not that kind of girl because that's what you were supposed to say though it's very clear through the show that she's whatever girl she wants to be whenever she wants to be it. Such a bad ###. 
i love that character soooo much because Peggy kept an understanding of traditional sexual roles - guessing that her mother & sister would not be as happy in any but the ones chosen for them and comfortable with all the brands of male ego stoopitity - while almost never saying yes to any of them for herself. she said a quiet, humble "you go" to everyone in doubt, including Peggy

Last edited by a moderator:
Up until last night, just youtube clips.  For as many of them that are out there and can be pieced together to get the gist of the show, there's a whole lot that I haven't seen, so it's familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time. Like last night's episode: I've seen clips of the meeting with the Rachel Menkin, both in the office and the bar, but it was good seeing them in the bigger context of the entire episode, and while I already knew about Sal, like I said above, I didn't realize they were framing his story as we are in on it from the beginning while everyone else is clueless; I thought maybe he would be more in the closest even for us, but nope. NTTAWWT.
enjoy - keep us up to date on your quest.

talking krista into finally watching will be next on the agenda

Ok, I was just confused by you knowing Sal was gay. That’s really a rather minor storyline in the grand scheme of the show. But yes, it was completely obvious to our modern eyes. I think back then, it was so less commonplace to see openly gay people in mainstream society or media that all the signs went over the characters heads. 

Ok, I was just confused by you knowing Sal was gay. That’s really a rather minor storyline in the grand scheme of the show. But yes, it was completely obvious to our modern eyes. I think back then, it was so less commonplace to see openly gay people in mainstream society or media that all the signs went over the characters heads. 
and that he missed that peggy and pete got busy.  how did you miss something you never really saw?  is this like a zen koan?

This show was great. I am going to rewatch soon.   Almost done watching sopranos 

Ok, I was just confused by you knowing Sal was gay. That’s really a rather minor storyline in the grand scheme of the show. But yes, it was completely obvious to our modern eyes. I think back then, it was so less commonplace to see openly gay people in mainstream society or media that all the signs went over the characters heads
The bolded part is what bothers me, though.  When they were all at the bar for Pete's bachelor party, one of the girls says what she likes about the place is all the men, and Sal says "I know what you mean."  How in the world does a comment like that just go over everyone's head?  He wasn't whispering, either, so it didn't seem like he was trying hide the thought from anyone. I hope this hamfisted writing was more a product of this being like a pilot episode where things start to find their footing later on.

I remember when Melrose Place came on and they had a gay character, only his friends were in on it as well, and the show then still dealt with the stigma of being gay in mainstream society, and with more finesse than what I saw in this episode of Mad Men. And Melrose Place was not known for its brilliant writing.  I'm going to stick with it, but I'm hoping this is just a bit of an overcorrection.

FWIW, even if I hadn't seen any clips of the show beforehand, it was pretty clear from the 'hints' they were dropping--"my neighbor posed for this drawing, he always looks so relaxed", as well as his less than masculine body language--that he was gay.  After that, the question to me would have been how far in the closet was he going to be, and if/how/when he was going to come out.  I'm getting a hint of self-denial on his part, though, so there's plenty of room for honest inner conflict, which will be a refreshing change from how we see gay characters now, which is they receive almost complete support from everyone around them and anyone who doesn't accept them is put in their place.  I say all of this just from a storytelling perspective, not from any personal feelings on the subject.

As for Peggy and Pete, for what little we've learned so far in just one episode, their tryst seems like a real left turn, and I will have to trust that it gets straightened out as the story unfolds, but right now it almost feels too out of place for what was established.  I guess it's possible she was stinging from Don spurning her, but TBH that was kind of weird to me as well: was she actually 'coming on' to Don when she thanked him for defending her to Pete?  If so, it wasn't convincing enough to me, but I'm bad at reading situations anyway, so whatever.

This show was great. I am going to rewatch soon.   Almost done watching sopranos 
When the lockdown started and HBO was free on Prime for a month, I binge watched The Sopranos, having never seen it before. While Pine Barrens isn't considered the greatest episode of the series, it was at the top for me.

The bolded part is what bothers me, though.  When they were all at the bar for Pete's bachelor party, one of the girls says what she likes about the place is all the men, and Sal says "I know what you mean."  How in the world does a comment like that just go over everyone's head?  He wasn't whispering, either, so it didn't seem like he was trying hide the thought from anyone. I hope this hamfisted writing was more a product of this being like a pilot episode where things start to find their footing later on.

I remember when Melrose Place came on and they had a gay character, only his friends were in on it as well, and the show then still dealt with the stigma of being gay in mainstream society, and with more finesse than what I saw in this episode of Mad Men. And Melrose Place was not known for its brilliant writing.  I'm going to stick with it, but I'm hoping this is just a bit of an overcorrection.

FWIW, even if I hadn't seen any clips of the show beforehand, it was pretty clear from the 'hints' they were dropping--"my neighbor posed for this drawing, he always looks so relaxed", as well as his less than masculine body language--that he was gay.  After that, the question to me would have been how far in the closet was he going to be, and if/how/when he was going to come out.  I'm getting a hint of self-denial on his part, though, so there's plenty of room for honest inner conflict, which will be a refreshing change from how we see gay characters now, which is they receive almost complete support from everyone around them and anyone who doesn't accept them is put in their place.  I say all of this just from a storytelling perspective, not from any personal feelings on the subject.

As for Peggy and Pete, for what little we've learned so far in just one episode, their tryst seems like a real left turn, and I will have to trust that it gets straightened out as the story unfolds, but right now it almost feels too out of place for what was established.  I guess it's possible she was stinging from Don spurning her, but TBH that was kind of weird to me as well: was she actually 'coming on' to Don when she thanked him for defending her to Pete?  If so, it wasn't convincing enough to me, but I'm bad at reading situations anyway, so whatever.

When the lockdown started and HBO was free on Prime for a month, I binge watched The Sopranos, having never seen it before. While Pine Barrens isn't considered the greatest episode of the series, it was at the top for me.
I wasn't alive but didn't Liberace maintain an entire career without people thinking he was gay? 

I wasn't alive but didn't Liberace maintain an entire career without people thinking he was gay? 
men knew he was. many women did not want to know that, for some Godforsakenly inexplicable reason

my 85yo gay-virgin uncle is quite simply fabulous and always has been, his son has been openly gay from the start, he actively drools over the fireman-calendar types he hires to fix things that arent even broke, but he's been married & faithful to his one & only gal for 62 years. that was just the way -

I was rewatching the series before the covid stuff happened on flights. So, so great. Made sitting on a plane not bad

Hard to think of a show with better acting, casting, art direction. etc.

Powerwatched the last four seasons of Mad Men - my alltime favorite show - 
It ranks only behind the Sopranos for me. After my initial binge of both shows I would have put in behind Breaking Bad as well but watched them both again from start to finish alternating shows and Mad Men was much more impressive to me and held up better on rewatch.

One of the aspects of humanity that I've decided on over the years is that regardless of where we are in history, humans have pretty much been exactly what we are now; there has always been tribalism, there has always been rich people, poor people, people who just want to live their life in peace, etc. When it comes to homosexuality, we've undoubtedly had that with us as well, and therefore I'm sure people in all time periods have been able to 'figure out' who's gay and who's not, even though I can't think of many historical examples past the last hundred years, maybe.  My point is that there probably were people who figured Liberace was gay and just didn't care because he was just a guy that was on their TV and not someone they had to deal with in their everyday life. My only issue about Sal's portrayal is that if he is as vocal about with his thoughts/feelings as we saw in this episode, there is almost no way that no one he works closely with hasn't picked up on it.  How much they care about it, on the other hand, would make for very interesting drama moving forward; is it that because he's so good at his job that the rest of the office staff overlook 'whatever he does in private', or are one or two or all of them holding some sort of animosity that they'll express if/when he fails on the job? Portraying those closest to a character as being oblivious to a glaring aspect of their personality, to me, isn't a sign of great writing, but one of the advantages of getting to this show so late in the going is that time has borne out that this is a well-written show, so I know I'm nitpicking.  TBH, other than feeling like I was being clubbed over the head with clues about his sexual preference, I like Sal. NTTAWWT.

men knew he was. many women did not want to know that, for some Godforsakenly inexplicable reason

my 85yo gay-virgin uncle is quite simply fabulous and always has been, his son has been openly gay from the start, he actively drools over the fireman-calendar types he hires to fix things that arent even broke, but he's been married & faithful to his one & only gal for 62 years. that was just the way -
Thanks for stealing my thunder before I could complete my reply.

One of the aspects of humanity that I've decided on over the years is that regardless of where we are in history, humans have pretty much been exactly what we are now; there has always been tribalism, there has always been rich people, poor people, people who just want to live their life in peace, etc. When it comes to homosexuality, we've undoubtedly had that with us as well, and therefore I'm sure people in all time periods have been able to 'figure out' who's gay and who's not, even though I can't think of many historical examples past the last hundred years, maybe.  My point is that there probably were people who figured Liberace was gay and just didn't care because he was just a guy that was on their TV and not someone they had to deal with in their everyday life. My only issue about Sal's portrayal is that if he is as vocal about with his thoughts/feelings as we saw in this episode, there is almost no way that no one he works closely with hasn't picked up on it.  How much they care about it, on the other hand, would make for very interesting drama moving forward; is it that because he's so good at his job that the rest of the office staff overlook 'whatever he does in private', or are one or two or all of them holding some sort of animosity that they'll express if/when he fails on the job? Portraying those closest to a character as being oblivious to a glaring aspect of their personality, to me, isn't a sign of great writing, but one of the advantages of getting to this show so late in the going is that time has borne out that this is a well-written show, so I know I'm nitpicking.  TBH, other than feeling like I was being clubbed over the head with clues about his sexual preference, I like Sal. NTTAWWT.

Thanks for stealing my thunder before I could complete my reply.
may i further torture you, then, by disagreeing w you a little bit, then. the acts & practices of homosexuality were perversions in the Mad Men era, so folks didnt look for signs of it any more than signs they were into bondage and such. "sissy" wasnt a sexual allegation but a aesthetic one and was very common. it really wasnt until gay lifestyle started breaking toward the shore that people actually started to play "is he or isnt he?" with every male in creation. but "none of my business" had a LOT more currency in the Mad Men age because social pressure was the ruling gestalt of the middle class. one could literally lose out on a job or membership because there was a divorce in the family. few told secrets in order to protect their own

may i further torture you, then, by disagreeing w you a little bit, then. the acts & practices of homosexuality were perversions in the Mad Men era, so folks didnt look for signs of it any more than signs they were into bondage and such. "sissy" wasnt a sexual allegation but a aesthetic one and was very common. it really wasnt until gay lifestyle started breaking toward the shore that people actually started to play "is he or isnt he?" with every male in creation. but "none of my business" had a LOT more currency in the Mad Men age because social pressure was the ruling gestalt of the middle class. one could literally lose out on a job or membership because there was a divorce in the family. few told secrets in order to protect their own
I was still pooping in my pants and dropping first generation Hot Wheels cars down the drain during the middle years depicted in the show, so I defer to your perspective on that era and appreciate the correction.

So you're saying that Sal being a dandy wasn't a giveaway?  What about his not so subtle comment in the bar about also liking the place because there were so many men there? That comment just seemed a little risky for him to make out loud.  

I was still pooping in my pants and dropping first generation Hot Wheels cars down the drain during the middle years depicted in the show, so I defer to your perspective on that era and appreciate the correction.

So you're saying that Sal being a dandy wasn't a giveaway?  What about his not so subtle comment in the bar about also liking the place because there were so many men there? That comment just seemed a little risky for him to make out loud.  
oh, it coulda been written better - no doubt.

the oppressive complexity of a world where a bunch of ex-GI salesmen/engineers were forging bespoke rules for the Judeo/Christian ethic's new contingencies is the existential hinge of the door that's bangin' our butts today. that's why Mad Men is so fun, but more fun if that improvisational forthrightness is understood, which is why i blather on. now, if you dont mind, i'll use my new Meerschaum to knock myself out til supper

So so are saying that even posing the question out loud if someone was gay was too big of a line to cross because the consequences for the person would be too detrimental? I always imagined Don knew but wasn’t going to call him out because Don knew all about keeping secrets.

So so are saying that even posing the question out loud if someone was gay was too big of a line to cross because the consequences for the person would be too detrimental? I always imagined Don knew but wasn’t going to call him out because Don knew all about keeping secrets.
mezz a mezz

homosexuality was a perversion, more or less a crime, so "accusing" someone of same without proof was slander. an odd kind of protection, but...

so effeminacy was the currency of the bias, probably to the cost of as many straights as gays

yeah, Don knowing everyone has secrets was how i read his reaction in the Baltimore ep and his general feeling but, having been in showbiz mgmt pretty early in life, i'd have to say there was a general undercurrent of what i call Norm Syndrome, after the character in Cheers. every time there was a hubbub in the bar, Norm would ask. "does it change the price of beer?' and, if the answer was "no", he'd order another and never mind. in businesses where you either had the hottest or were the nottest, it didnt really matter where it came from

Episode 2 set to go.  I'm off to watch the Ladies Room...
1. Men are pigs

2. Betty is such a child, totally over her head and looks like she's just playing house.

3. I'm disliking Roger so far, mainly because he gets to have that one pearl of wisdom while being an #####.

4. Hopefully they'll bring in a female writer to take over writing Peggy. On one hand, she's "bold" enough to sleep with Pete even though she found him repugnant, but then she's too naïve to realize that these pigs she's been watching for 2 weeks now all just view her as a sex object and acts surprised when Kinsey started kissing her? For someone who doesn't have their stuff together, she sure has her stuff together.  Can't have it both ways.

5. Two episodes in and I can see I'm going to be re-watching this show over and over.

As much as I love this show, it for sure is not a binge show.  I think 2-3 episodes a week tops is about all I could do when I was going through the show.  

So none of the streaming services have this besides that option?

Users who are viewing this thread