What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (3 Viewers)

I think there were issues of class at play with Betty's opinion of Don, particularly once she found out the #### Whitman stuff. She is turned on by the class and prestige of a genuine blue blood like Henry Francis.

Wonder what ever happened with her brother and the sale of her father's house. That subplot disappeared from sight.

I'll be interested to see the scope of the next season. They've set up the possibility of very interesting competition between new and old agencies, especially at the lower level (Peggy vs. Pipe smoking guy; Pete Campell v. Cosgrove).

Plus, it seems that he new agency will be built toward the massive pop culture change in the late 60s (see Don's pitch to Peggy). Perhap's they'll play the old agency vs. new in this way as well.

I'll be interested to see the scope of the next season. They've set up the possibility of very interesting competition between new and old agencies, especially at the lower level (Peggy vs. Pipe smoking guy; Pete Campell v. Cosgrove).

Plus, it seems that he new agency will be built toward the massive pop culture change in the late 60s (see Don's pitch to Peggy). Perhap's they'll play the old agency vs. new in this way as well.
MacArthur. His name is MacArthur J. Popeye.

I'll be interested to see the scope of the next season. They've set up the possibility of very interesting competition between new and old agencies, especially at the lower level (Peggy vs. Pipe smoking guy; Pete Campell v. Cosgrove). Plus, it seems that he new agency will be built toward the massive pop culture change in the late 60s (see Don's pitch to Peggy). Perhap's they'll play the old agency vs. new in this way as well.
I think the old Sterling Cooper is dead. I don't think we'll see much of Kinsey or Cosgrove next year.

MacArthur. His name is MacArthur J. Popeye.
awesome name :thumbup:

I think it's fairly obvious that Duck is using Peggy, so it'll be interesting to see that unfold next season. I envision a plot line wherein Peggy figures out that Duck is using her AND Don finds out that Peggy's being wooed by Duck and Peggy needs to find her way back into Don's favor.

I think there were issues of class at play with Betty's opinion of Don, particularly once she found out the #### Whitman stuff. She is turned on by the class and prestige of a genuine blue blood like Henry Francis.Wonder what ever happened with her brother and the sale of her father's house. That subplot disappeared from sight.
Agree that this is why she told him she doesn't love him. She loved Don Draper, but **** Whitman? Too much of a blue-blood for that.That said, I see Henry Francis as an empty rebound guy. She toys with him, then dumps him next season. He doesn't move her. I'm not sold on the notion that she is necessarily going to follow through with this whole divorce thing, and if she does, that she marries the old guy. That just seems too obvious. OTOH, baby Gene... if there were a Mad Men Death Pool, I'd draft him 1.1.

Amazing episode, absolutely loved it. It seemed like Don wanted to share the good news with Betty after Pete's wife showed up so excited and helpful only to be brought back down to earth with the conversation.

While I thought it was a good season I didn't think they showed enough of the agency end of the show especially as it relates to the times. I'm really looking forward to the next season.

I think it's fairly obvious that Duck is using Peggy, so it'll be interesting to see that unfold next season. I envision a plot line wherein Peggy figures out that Duck is using her AND Don finds out that Peggy's being wooed by Duck and Peggy needs to find her way back into Don's favor.
I don't think it's obvious. Doesn't seem to me like Duck has that many friends. He strikes me as a lonely guy who is always a little out of place. I'd say he was using her if he had a lot of other options and that the only reason he wanted to spend time with her is because he she had an angle he was pursuing.I don't think that's the case, he needs her worse than she needs him.

I don't think it's obvious. Doesn't seem to me like Duck has that many friends. He strikes me as a lonely guy who is always a little out of place. I'd say he was using her if he had a lot of other options and that the only reason he wanted to spend time with her is because he she had an angle he was pursuing.I don't think that's the case, he needs her worse than she needs him.
That's interesting. I think he's using her more from a professional standpoint than a romantic standpoint. Something about the way Duck wooed her to come aboard made me think he wasn't sincere.

Finally saw the finale last night, and agree that it was very good.

The pulling together of the new agency over the course of about a day was pretty far-fetched, but I’m willing to overlook that. I thought the British CEO of Sterling (forgot his name) was great in this one.

What I’ll always remember though is the heartbreaking scenes involving Don and Betty’s kids. When Don crawled into bed with Sally after being told of the divorce, and especially they told the kids about the divorce. It obviously impacts him much more than he’s willing to show, and I think those fathers among us can relate. It felt like someone just punched me in the gut when I watched those scenes. :shrug:

zamboni said:
What I’ll always remember though is the heartbreaking scenes involving Don and Betty’s kids. When Don crawled into bed with Sally after being told of the divorce, and especially they told the kids about the divorce. It obviously impacts him much more than he’s willing to show, and I think those fathers among us can relate. It felt like someone just punched me in the gut when I watched those scenes. :rolleyes:
Yeah, was watching this with the mrs (we have 2 young kids) and we gave eachother that "pray to god that never happens to us" look. The innocence of the children was very well portrayed.

zamboni said:
What I’ll always remember though is the heartbreaking scenes involving Don and Betty’s kids. When Don crawled into bed with Sally after being told of the divorce, and especially they told the kids about the divorce. It obviously impacts him much more than he’s willing to show, and I think those fathers among us can relate. It felt like someone just punched me in the gut when I watched those scenes. :goodposting:
Yeah, was watching this with the mrs (we have 2 young kids) and we gave eachother that "pray to god that never happens to us" look. The innocence of the children was very well portrayed.
They did portray those kids very well. When the son was clinging to Don not to leave, and as a juxtaposition that can only relate with kids, when they seemed at ease just watching TV and having some chocolate milk.Extremely well done...

zamboni said:
What I’ll always remember though is the heartbreaking scenes involving Don and Betty’s kids. When Don crawled into bed with Sally after being told of the divorce, and especially they told the kids about the divorce. It obviously impacts him much more than he’s willing to show, and I think those fathers among us can relate. It felt like someone just punched me in the gut when I watched those scenes. :goodposting:
They did portray those kids very well. When the son was clinging to Don not to leave, and as a juxtaposition that can only relate with kids, when they seemed at ease just watching TV and having some chocolate milk.Extremely well done...
I have 2 sons. When bobby asked if he was leaving because of something he did i got choked up.

zamboni said:
What I’ll always remember though is the heartbreaking scenes involving Don and Betty’s kids. When Don crawled into bed with Sally after being told of the divorce, and especially they told the kids about the divorce. It obviously impacts him much more than he’s willing to show, and I think those fathers among us can relate. It felt like someone just punched me in the gut when I watched those scenes. :thumbdown:
I have 2 sons. When bobby asked if he was leaving because of something he did i got choked up.
Ditto here with 2 sons and my reaction. My wife also took it very hard when Sally snipped at Betty "did you make him leave?". Gut wrenching stuff.

zamboni said:
Finally saw the finale last night, and agree that it was very good. The pulling together of the new agency over the course of about a day was pretty far-fetched, but I’m willing to overlook that. I thought the British CEO of Sterling (forgot his name) was great in this one.
Why would it take them a long time? It's not like they were relocating a manufacturing plant.

zamboni said:
Finally saw the finale last night, and agree that it was very good. The pulling together of the new agency over the course of about a day was pretty far-fetched, but I’m willing to overlook that. I thought the British CEO of Sterling (forgot his name) was great in this one.
Why would it take them a long time? It's not like they were relocating a manufacturing plant.
The only thing that I wonder about (not knowing anything about the industry) is whether it is that easy to pull clients away (?) I guess that ultimately all they really care about is the relationship with that one person and not the firm as a whole?

zamboni said:
The only thing that I wonder about (not knowing anything about the industry) is whether it is that easy to pull clients away (?) I guess that ultimately all they really care about is the relationship with that one person and not the firm as a whole?
I don't know about advertising, but that's exactly how it works in the law. Partners move firms all the time, sometimes to other firms, sometimes to open their own shop. Some clients go with them, some don't, some move part of their business. It's quick and easy and very common.

zamboni said:
I don't know about advertising, but that's exactly how it works in the law. Partners move firms all the time, sometimes to other firms, sometimes to open their own shop. Some clients go with them, some don't, some move part of their business. It's quick and easy and very common.
Perhaps, but from the timeframe noted, it seemed like they only had the weekend (non-business hours) to get the clients to agree and make the switch. It's not like this was the information age where you could track them down by Blackberry, so the odds of getting the decision makers on the phone AND make a decision appears far fetched. Plus, there is always the possibility that large corporations would like to remain at big firms.Silly details though, and really no bearing on the finale.

zamboni said:
Finally saw the finale last night, and agree that it was very good.

The pulling together of the new agency over the course of about a day was pretty far-fetched, but I’m willing to overlook that. I thought the British CEO of Sterling (forgot his name) was great in this one.
Perhaps, but from the timeframe noted, it seemed like they only had the weekend (non-business hours) to get the clients to agree and make the switch. It's not like this was the information age where you could track them down by Blackberry, so the odds of getting the decision makers on the phone AND make a decision appears far fetched. Plus, there is always the possibility that large corporations would like to remain at big firms.Silly details though, and really no bearing on the finale.
I was under the impression that many of the clients did stay with the big firm. They only brought American Tobacco and Pete's 7 million with them.I was wondering why the hurry, though. I guess they wanted to make their pitches before the big boys had a chance to make theirs? Regardless, the fact that some clients were willing to move immediately pretty reasonable to me, though obviously I'm no expert.

Two thoughts

They didn't just leave Sterling Cooper they ransacked the place. Is there anything that the new firm can do legally?

I understand that clients leave with partners but they literally took records, billing infor and maybe art work

This is straight robbery

It was also interesting to think that I have my entire rolodex in my blackberry while these guys were hand writing things down. Technology has made our lives a lot easier obviously and getting in touch with a client the weekend is doable for me. Just wonder how these guys did it back then especially since London didn't know anything of it.

I wonder why they chose Cosgrove over Campbell (other than the obvious fact that Pete is a much more interesting and complicated character for the show)

my wife makes the point that maybe they didn't ask Cosgrove to come along because he just got promoted and was much less of a sure thing to keep it quiet.

Obviously he's got talent and -maybe- more importantly would be able to lure some major accounts (John Deer for one) with him.

I wonder why they chose Cosgrove over Campbell (other than the obvious fact that Pete is a much more interesting and complicated character for the show)my wife makes the point that maybe they didn't ask Cosgrove to come along because he just got promoted and was much less of a sure thing to keep it quiet.Obviously he's got talent and -maybe- more importantly would be able to lure some major accounts (John Deer for one) with him.
Pete had been actively working to poach clients himself for weeks. And they seemed to know it. They only had a weekend and Pete had accounts in hand. Ken didn't.

I wonder why they chose Cosgrove over Campbell (other than the obvious fact that Pete is a much more interesting and complicated character for the show)my wife makes the point that maybe they didn't ask Cosgrove to come along because he just got promoted and was much less of a sure thing to keep it quiet.Obviously he's got talent and -maybe- more importantly would be able to lure some major accounts (John Deer for one) with him.
Pete had been actively working to poach clients himself for weeks. And they seemed to know it. They only had a weekend and Pete had accounts in hand. Ken didn't.
<_<

Missed the first half of SNL. Was there a Mad Men spoof?
Sort of in the opening monologue. Three cast members played Mad Meniacs or something in the audience. They were dressed and acted like characters from the show, smoking and drinking between sentences. The only somewhat funny part was when two of them said they loved Betty and Mi'scuzi said he was partial to Peggy.

Sort of in the opening monologue. Three cast members played Mad Meniacs or something in the audience. They were dressed and acted like characters from the show, smoking and drinking between sentences. The only somewhat funny part was when two of them said they loved Betty and Mi'scuzi said he was partial to Peggy.
Maybe a chuckle there, but that was the consummate crutch for January to use the cast to help along her monologue.She has no comedic sense of timing - her Mad Men role is perfect for her though.

Maybe a chuckle there, but that was the consummate crutch for January to use the cast to help along her monologue.She has no comedic sense of timing - her Mad Men role is perfect for her though.
how'd she look?

how'd she look?
Good--even when she was farting.

Finally caught up to the season finale. Absolutely love this show, although the final episodes created some awkward conversation between me and my wife, as I side with Don and think Henry is just straight up evil, while she sides with Betty.

Finally caught up to the season finale. Absolutely love this show, although the final episodes created some awkward conversation between me and my wife, as I side with Don and think Henry is just straight up evil, while she sides with Betty.
I side with Joan

I side with Joan
Well, yeah. And I was surprised to notice that Joan is one of the most morally upstanding of the main characters in the show. The worst she's done is dated a married man who claimed to be in love with her, and been snippy with people she didn't like. That's remarkably upstanding character in an office full of #######s.

I side with Joan
Well, yeah. And I was surprised to notice that Joan is one of the most morally upstanding of the main characters in the show. The worst she's done is dated a married man who claimed to be in love with her, and been snippy with people she didn't like. That's remarkably upstanding character in an office full of #######s.
:goodposting: I love that woman. If she worked in my office, I'd already have tapped that and likely put a ring on it.

Christo said:
chet said:
how'd she look?
Good--even when she was farting.
I didn't think she looked that good last night. A stunningly beautiful woman no doubt, but not at her best IMO. She looks a ton more sultry as Betty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched all 3 seasons this last month. What a show. Right behind Sopranos IMO Will be fun to follow this thread next year while I watch the show.

Don also said that Pete was forward looking in the way he approached things and cared about his clients. I can't remember exactly but it was mentioned about advertising towards blacks and there was something else but can't remember right now.

Don also said that Pete was forward looking in the way he approached things and cared about his clients. I can't remember exactly but it was mentioned about advertising towards blacks and there was something else but can't remember right now.
"Aeronautics, teenagers, and the negro market."

gump said:
The_Hunchback said:
That was the only part I didn;t like about that scene, when Draper rattled off about Pete being forward thinking.John Sterling usually has the best lines but not when he called Pete a little ####. :thumbup:

gump said:
The_Hunchback said:
I wonder why they chose Cosgrove over Campbell (other than the obvious fact that Pete is a much more interesting and complicated character for the show)

my wife makes the point that maybe they didn't ask Cosgrove to come along because he just got promoted and was much less of a sure thing to keep it quiet.

Obviously he's got talent and -maybe- more importantly would be able to lure some major accounts (John Deer for one) with him.
That was the only part I didn;t like about that scene, when Draper rattled off about Pete being forward thinking.John Sterling usually has the best lines but not when he called Pete a little ####. :shrug:
That was vintage Draper. Come up with a load of crap, on the spot, that would stroke the ego of the recipient enough that they believe it.

Just got season 1 on blue-ray today. 3 years behind, looking forward to catching up. :goodposting:
Word of advice... the show doesn't come back until September of 2010... pace yourself. My wife and I caught up in like 3 weeks and now we're dying for the next season. This show rules.

Users who are viewing this thread