Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Mad Men on AMC

I really can't say enough good things about this show. I loved the "thanks for all your hard work" line on the card the morning after Draper bangs her.

I wonder if he'd have written a different message if he'd written the card after he'd banged her.Great episode.

I wish Christmas-Tree-Fonzie would leave little Sally alone. I don't like where this is heading.

After Glen had ransacked the house, Sally was getting ready for bed and looked out the window. I thought "Sally" would be written in flames like in American Beauty.Glen is a piece of work.

I wish Christmas-Tree-Fonzie would leave little Sally alone. I don't like where this is heading.

After Glen had ransacked the house, Sally was getting ready for bed and looked out the window. I thought "Sally" would be written in flames like in American Beauty.Glen is a piece of work.
I always thought Glen had a shot at Betty.

I just found out today from Alan Sepinwall's take on the episode that the actor playing Glen is the son of Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner.

How they landed Lee Garner Jr. for anyone who forgot... (spoilers)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059578/quotes

Which quote?
Don Draper: If Greta's research was any good I would have used it.

Pete Campbell: What are you talking about?

Don Draper: I'm saying I had a report just like that. And it's not like there's some magic machine that makes identical copies of things.

After Glen had ransacked the house, Sally was getting ready for bed and looked out the window. I thought "Sally" would be written in flames like in American Beauty.

Glen is a piece of work.

I just found out today from Alan Sepinwall's take on the episode that the actor playing Glen is the son of Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner.
Shouldn't be surprised. I remember an article about Weiner talking about how he raises his kids and he encourages him to wear like green corduroy suits and other weird stuff.

Glen is awesome.

Arlo Weiner: http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/200903...-weiner-mad-men

Edited by Please See Mine

I really can't say enough good things about this show. I loved the "thanks for all your hard work" line on the card the morning after Draper bangs her.

I wonder if he'd have written a different message if he'd written the card after he'd banged her.Great episode.
I'm not sure he didn't. Don just doesn't give a #### about people. Anyone with a shred a decency would have at least acknowledged what happened, said it was a mistake and that couldn't go any further.

Halfway through right now. They just had a Dove commercial that I swear it was part of Mad Men at the beginning

:P My initial thought was that it was a competitor and that Freddy (good to see him back) didn't really have the account.

I wonder if he'd have written a different message if he'd written the card after he'd banged her.

Great episode.

I'm not sure he didn't. Don just doesn't give a #### about people. Anyone with a shred a decency would have at least acknowledged what happened, said it was a mistake and that couldn't go any further.
Wasn't the card in his desk and he had just come into the office when he walked to his desk and got it?

I wonder if he'd have written a different message if he'd written the card after he'd banged her.

Great episode.

Wasn't the card in his desk and he had just come into the office when he walked to his desk and got it?
I don't remember

Great episode.

I think that you are right that he handled it poorly, but I also think that there is more emotion going on than he wants us to believe. He obviously wanted her to spend the night and he likely longs for companionship. Now, that could be driven simply by his own neediness and have nothing to do with connecting to another human being. However, there is some emotion going on inside him and he is not just a sociopath.

Great episode.

The card was already in his bottom drawer and he pulled it out

Great episode.

I think that you are right that he handled it poorly, but I also think that there is more emotion going on than he wants us to believe. He obviously wanted her to spend the night and he likely longs for companionship. Now, that could be driven simply by his own neediness and have nothing to do with connecting to another human being. However, there is some emotion going on inside him and he is not just a sociopath.
I have no doubt it was emotional for him. But to not give her anything emotionally at all was cold. It was even colder to just hand her the card/bonus.

Great episode.

I don't remember
It was. I'm pretty sure he wrote the car before he nailed her.

I wouldn't agree that he doesn't care about people. I think that he figured the best way to handle that situation was for both of them to act as if it didn't happen. Of course that's much easier for a man to do than a woman. Was it cold and callus? Sure but that's 'business' so to speak.

Even though he had promised her the bonus earlier, giving her $100 cash with an impersonal note allowed him to treat his encounter with her as if it was nothing more than any of his nights with prostitutes. He clearly knew that there was more going on, though. I thought for sure she started typing a resignation letter shortly after and it would be revealed in the last frame.

Even though he had promised her the bonus earlier, giving her $100 cash with an impersonal note allowed him to treat his encounter with her as if it was nothing more than any of his nights with prostitutes. He clearly knew that there was more going on, though. I thought for sure she started typing a resignation letter shortly after and it would be revealed in the last frame.

:popcorn:

I wouldn't agree that he doesn't care about people. I think that he figured the best way to handle that situation was for both of them to act as if it didn't happen. Of course that's much easier for a man to do than a woman. Was it cold and callus? Sure but that's 'business' so to speak.

I kind of took it as that's what she wanted by leaving when he clearly wanted her to stay. Think the whole thing would have been different if she spent the night and cooked him breakfast? Probably.

I kind of took it as that's what she wanted by leaving when he clearly wanted her to stay. Think the whole thing would have been different if she spent the night and cooked him breakfast? Probably.
Could be.

I got the impression that Don isn't/wasn't just looking for a quick lay. The guy, despite coming off as a cold womanizer, is probably lonely.

Could be.

I got the impression that Don isn't/wasn't just looking for a quick lay.

I think his behavior with Phoebe, even to the point of knocking on her door first, seems to suggest just that. Don was facing the dilemnna that Freddy laid out for Peggy. There was no way he could continue to respect Alison in that way. So he tried to concentrate on the fact that he still respected her professionally. It was cold and self-centered, but it reflected a certain internal integrity to Don.

EDIT: Remember also the fundamental conflict in advertising. Between what we want and how we see ourselves. Don's sex life is all about that conflict. He wants it, but he doesn't see himself worthy of it. So he can't respect someone who just gives in to it, even if he's just as frustrated when someone witholds it (like last week).

Edited by scoobygang

Right. She knew he was drunk. She bailed right after. Was she expecting him to ask her to spend Christmas with him? As his secretary, she shouldn't be clueless as to what Don is about. I thought her hurt reaction was kind of silly.

I also thought she was typing out a resignation letter. The scene was clearly shot that way. One thing I love about the show is how it will set up seemingly obvious or cliche scenarios and then either go in a different direction or leave them incomplete. In a conventional show, Roger being shamed and baited after putting on the Santa suit probably would have led to him lashing out and jeapordizing the Lucky Strikes account. But he took it and that was that. And that was the point of showing it. Same with Don's secretary. She took it and that was that.

Even though he had promised her the bonus earlier, giving her $100 cash with an impersonal note allowed him to treat his encounter with her as if it was nothing more than any of his nights with prostitutes.

That's a good point. He certainly could have gotten a different card, changed the message and/or changed the circumstance under which he gave it to her regardless.

Jesus, you guys should at least read Alan Sepinwall's thoughts on the show before posting your misguided interpretations here. It will help you get a clue.

Yeah. How dare these people discuss the show without full knowledge of the subject matter!

Jesus, you guys should at least read Alan Sepinwall's thoughts on the show before posting your misguided interpretations here. It will help you get a clue.

We should probably just delete the thread and start a new one with only his articles in it.

:goodposting: I also thought it would be a resignation letter