What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (3 Viewers)

Very interesting ending last night. Especially with the conflicted Priest playing guitar at the end. It's weird, but why do I feel sympathetic towards Draper? The guy is a lying, cheating snake.

Feel really bad for Joan --- that job in the Television department was her "ticket" up. But she was outshining the boss, and he couldn't have that. Sad.

I'm continually amazed by the great writing on this show.

Question --- what did Draper's wife realize/see while watching the Jimmy "Utz is better than Nuts" commerical? It seems like something clicked with her and that's when she called Don to tell him not to come home.

Is it just me or id Coilin Hanks (Father Gill) kind of a lousy actor.

Opinions?

Solid ep last not but not nearly as good as the two which preceded it.

The ultimate irony: the first season Don was the guy had everything - great and fun job - loved at his work - success - beautiful wife and family - a partying lifestyle - a hot girlfriend - looks health prestige. But the reality that's starting tos show is that the guy who had everything really has nothing.

Is it just me or id Coilin Hanks (Father Gill) kind of a lousy actor.Opinions?Solid ep last not but not nearly as good as the two which preceded it.The ultimate irony: the first season Don was the guy had everything - great and fun job - loved at his work - success - beautiful wife and family - a partying lifestyle - a hot girlfriend - looks health prestige. But the reality that's starting tos show is that the guy who had everything really has nothing.
His past is creeping into the show. It is seriously just getting started with what promises to be a Very Long story arc. Love the show.I just hope they don't have the priest/affair angle. It will be so much more interesting if they go in a different angle. Plus they can really put a lot of tension.

Question --- what did Draper's wife realize/see while watching the Jimmy "Utz is better than Nuts" commerical? It seems like something clicked with her and that's when she called Don to tell him not to come home.
To me it looked like she had pushed it aside...the night before when she talks to Don on the couch it seems like she's going to let it go. I think seeing Jimmy's commercial just brought it all back. Maybe she didn't know if she could go on seeing that ad over and over. Sort of a slap in the face every time she saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or id Coilin Hanks (Father Gill) kind of a lousy actor.Opinions?Solid ep last not but not nearly as good as the two which preceded it.The ultimate irony: the first season Don was the guy had everything - great and fun job - loved at his work - success - beautiful wife and family - a partying lifestyle - a hot girlfriend - looks health prestige. But the reality that's starting tos show is that the guy who had everything really has nothing.
I don't think Hanks is bad. :unsure:I think what's even more ironic is where Don came from. His background is poorer than poor then the whole identity change thing. He brings himself up from nothing to have everything. Once he's there he does just about everything he can to destroy it.

To me it looked like she had pushed it aside...the night before when she talks to Don on the couch it seems like she's going to let it go. I think seeing Jimmy's commercial just brought it all back. Maybe she didn't know if she could go on seeing that ad over and over. Sort of a slap in the face every time she saw it.
:goodposting:

Feel really bad for Joan --- that job in the Television department was her "ticket" up. But she was outshining the boss, and he couldn't have that.
My take wasn't that he was threatened, but that it never even occured to him -just didn't think of her as anything more than a hot secretary.
Yeah. It never occurred to him that Joan should have been given the job. They just hired some doofus at $150 a week to fill the spot.

Feel really bad for Joan --- that job in the Television department was her "ticket" up. But she was outshining the boss, and he couldn't have that.
My take wasn't that he was threatened, but that it never even occured to him -just didn't think of her as anything more than a hot secretary.
:lmao: The only one smart enough to recognize Peggy's talent was Draper. He knows he can use her to his benefit. The rest of the guys just aren't smart enough to recognize it too. This is also reflected in how Father Gill treated Peggy in the last show. He was just going to set her down in front of the committee women and Peggy was supposed to "see the light." He didn't think she'd actually stand up to him. Similarly, with Joan all any of them see is the red hair and rack.

Feel really bad for Joan --- that job in the Television department was her "ticket" up. But she was outshining the boss, and he couldn't have that. Sad.
Is that how you saw it? I got the feeling Sterling didn't want Joan working for him any longer.Why was he all of the sudden given the green light to hire when he was told earlier in the episode he couldn't hire anyone? Seems like Sterling changed his mind.

Is that how you saw it? I got the feeling Sterling didn't want Joan working for him any longer.
Of course he didn't. Doesn't mean Joan didn't recognize she had more value to the firm than just keeping the secretaries in line.

I really hope this show doesn't end up getting too 'Sopranos-like' when it comes to loose ends.

I mean are we ever going to find out what happened to Chauncey? Or is he just going to be a four-legged Pine Barrens Russian?

Why was he all of the sudden given the green light to hire when he was told earlier in the episode he couldn't hire anyone? Seems like Sterling changed his mind.
Because Sterling has Joan exactly where he wants her. And he knew that if he didn't let Crane hire someone, Joan would keep doing the job.

I really hope this show doesn't end up getting too 'Sopranos-like' when it comes to loose ends.I mean are we ever going to find out what happened to Chauncey? Or is he just going to be a four-legged Pine Barrens Russian?
Maybe they'll do one of those scenes like they did on Married With Children when Buck ran away.

Why was he all of the sudden given the green light to hire when he was told earlier in the episode he couldn't hire anyone? Seems like Sterling changed his mind.
Because Sterling has Joan exactly where he wants her. And he knew that if he didn't let Crane hire someone, Joan would keep doing the job.
Okay, I agree with you.The post I was answering was the one that said Crane was the one uncomfortable with Joan outshining him.

That and Crane had to justify that having somebody else was worth the money. Joan comes in, the clients are happy, Crane shows that the position is worthwhile.

This season is outstanding. Every episode is better than the last. That exchange between the comedian and Draper at the party two weeks ago was some of the best stuff I've seen on any TV show ever. Just incredible.

This show is already in my all-time top 10 and could land in my top five some day.

This is what I saw. Betsy came on, all dressed and made up again,smiling. It seemed like since she didn't find any evidence it wasn't worth losing everything over. But the sight of Jimmy on TV made her realize that deep down, even with no proof, she knows what really happened.Another solid episode.and totally agree with Joan just being a temp until money came in to hire someone. Just an afterthought to all the men.I'm not even sure if Sterling put much thought into. Once it seemed like a worthwhile hire, he gave permission. Although I wouldn't doubt the "controlling Joan" angle, it seems like it's looking too much into it.

This season is outstanding. Every episode is better than the last. That exchange between the comedian and Draper at the party two weeks ago was some of the best stuff I've seen on any TV show ever. Just incredible.This show is already in my all-time top 10 and could land in my top five some day.
Betty "You people are ugly and disgusting!" (not sure about the exact quote)Jimmy as she storms away "You mean comedians?"

This season is outstanding. Every episode is better than the last. That exchange between the comedian and Draper at the party two weeks ago was some of the best stuff I've seen on any TV show ever. Just incredible.This show is already in my all-time top 10 and could land in my top five some day.
Betty "You people are ugly and disgusting!" (not sure about the exact quote)Jimmy as she storms away "You mean comedians?"
Vomiting is so overdone in movies and film now. But when she ralphed in his new car, that was pretty sweet.

This is what I saw. Betsy came on, all dressed and made up again,smiling. It seemed like since she didn't find any evidence it wasn't worth losing everything over. But the sight of Jimmy on TV made her realize that deep down, even with no proof, she knows what really happened.Another solid episode.and totally agree with Joan just being a temp until money came in to hire someone. Just an afterthought to all the men.I'm not even sure if Sterling put much thought into. Once it seemed like a worthwhile hire, he gave permission. Although I wouldn't doubt the "controlling Joan" angle, it seems like it's looking too much into it.
Betty has known for a long time that don was cheating, remember last season when her best friend found out her husband was cheating on her and she asked betty what she should do because betty was familiar with having a cheating husband. Like everyone else has said seeing jimmy on tv was the final straw that let betty know she can't stay in denial any longerI feel sorry for Joan, that was a #### move made all the worse by the fact the guy they hired still wants and needs joan to "help" him.

FTRWRTR said:
I feel sorry for Joan, that was a #### move made all the worse by the fact the guy they hired still wants and needs joan to "help" him.
Before this, was there any hint that Joan had "career woman" aspirations? Her fiance clearly doesn't want that for her. Maybe a developing story line where she now realizes she could do more and gets a little more ambitious, causing tension with fiance and maybe Sterling. You go, girl. :goodposting:

FTRWRTR said:
I feel sorry for Joan, that was a #### move made all the worse by the fact the guy they hired still wants and needs joan to "help" him.
Before this, was there any hint that Joan had "career woman" aspirations? Her fiance clearly doesn't want that for her. Maybe a developing story line where she now realizes she could do more and gets a little more ambitious, causing tension with fiance and maybe Sterling. You go, girl. :goodposting:
She didn't know it was possible until Peggy showed that there was a way out of the secretary pool. Her position as "head secretary" became much less significant at that point.

FTRWRTR said:
jamny said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
Robbie Cooper said:
Betty has known for a long time that don was cheating, remember last season when her best friend found out her husband was cheating on her and she asked betty what she should do because betty was familiar with having a cheating husband. Like everyone else has said seeing jimmy on tv was the final straw that let betty know she can't stay in denial any longer
I think it was a combination of denial and her being somewhat naive. Remember last season she called the Manhattan numbers on their phone bill expecting it to be another woman. Turns out it was Don calling her shrink. Before the Jimmy situation I don't think she honestly believed Don was cheating.

FTRWRTR said:
Before this, was there any hint that Joan had "career woman" aspirations? Her fiance clearly doesn't want that for her. Maybe a developing story line where she now realizes she could do more and gets a little more ambitious, causing tension with fiance and maybe Sterling. You go, girl. :rolleyes:
She didn't know it was possible until Peggy showed that there was a way out of the secretary pool. Her position as "head secretary" became much less significant at that point.
Joan was good at what she did...look hot and keep the other girls in line. Her bit with Crane gave her a taste of what it was like to be respected and valued for something other than her body and being the head b####.File this one under the heading of "Reading Too Much Into It":At the end of the episode they show Joan in her slip/bra. She lowers one strap and rubs her shoulders. On one level it means nothing...long day at the office. On the other hand it could be symbolic. Her rack has helped to put her where she is. She's always used her body to get a head. On the other hand the fact that she is a woman, symbolized by her breasts, kept her from getting the new position. The pain in her should is from the 'weight' of her womanhood. Being a beautiful woman is a blessing and a burden.

FTRWRTR said:
Before this, was there any hint that Joan had "career woman" aspirations? Her fiance clearly doesn't want that for her. Maybe a developing story line where she now realizes she could do more and gets a little more ambitious, causing tension with fiance and maybe Sterling. You go, girl. :rolleyes:
Your ideas are intriguing to me.

Roger and Duck seem to represent two paths that Don can follow. Roger has managed to keep his marriage together and still be a scoundrel while Duck looks to be living a miserable life after a rumored breakdown over his extramarital affair. I hope Don snaps out of it and takes the Roger path because Duck is a serious downer. I wouldn't be surprised to see an episode where Duck offs himself.

Roger and Duck seem to represent two paths that Don can follow. Roger has managed to keep his marriage together and still be a scoundrel while Duck looks to be living a miserable life after a rumored breakdown over his extramarital affair. I hope Don snaps out of it and takes the Roger path because Duck is a serious downer. I wouldn't be surprised to see an episode where Duck offs himself.
Couldn't believe he just let his dog go like that.

Couldn't believe he just let his dog go like that.
Yeah, that was as :rolleyes: as I've been watching the show.

Excellent episode, as usual.

Pretty funny that the three guys were celebrating sobriety by getting drunk with the fired guy.

I like the fact that the show isn't predictable. MOST, if not, ALL shows would have Draper begging to come back to his wife but it was clear at the end of the night that he wasn't upset and didn't want to go back.

I like the fact that the show isn't predictable. MOST, if not, ALL shows would have Draper begging to come back but it was clear at the end of the night that he wasn't upset and didn't want to go back.
Interesting conversation between Don and Roger at the bar. Neither one of them could come up with a good reason why they were married.

Walton Goggins said:
I like the fact that the show isn't predictable. MOST, if not, ALL shows would have Draper begging to come back to his wife but it was clear at the end of the night that he wasn't upset and didn't want to go back.
I'm kinda thinking Draper wouldn't leave to begin with. It's his house and by leaving he's admitting he cheated. I'm just thinking a guy in his position and in those days would just stay and force the wife to run home to her mother.Some great and funny moments in the episode. Amazing writing as usual.

Don is a deeply flawed man who still struggles with trying to be a good man. One of the deepest characters on television in a long time. The ending, with Don telling Sterling to "get her off my desk." was freak'n awesome.

The shot of Betty in that riding outfit when she sees her friend talking to that guy and her mischeivous look made it move

Robbie Cooper said:
Don is a deeply flawed man who still struggles with trying to be a good man. One of the deepest characters on television in a long time. The ending, with Don telling Sterling to "get her off my desk." was freak'n awesome.
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread