What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (2 Viewers)

Peggy doing that little dance for Pete in Season 1 is one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. Tried to find a clip of it on youtube, but didn't have any luck.

Mad Men's fifth season is almost a done deal, but you probably won't see it for a while

AMC and Lionsgate are reportedly close to finalizing a deal with Matthew Weiner to bring Mad Men back for a fifth season, a negotiation that's been drawn out for several months as Weiner demands more money, perhaps by casually plopping an Emmy on the table every time there's a moment of awkward silence. The news isn't a surprise—both AMC reps and Weiner himself Mad Men most likely won't hit its usual summertime premiere date. At this point, it could be as late as fall or beyond before we find out which beloved characters died in that massive bank vault explosion. That's what happened, right? It's been a while.

Update: Talks have stalled over requests for product integration, cutting episode running time and cast.

I hope Weiner tells them to go have relations with themselves and takes the show elsewhere.

Update: Talks have stalled over requests for product integration, cutting episode running time and cast.

I hope Weiner tells them to go have relations with themselves and takes the show elsewhere.
My understanding is that AMC/Lionsgate "own" the rights to the show. Weiner can't take the show elsewhere. AMC could bring in another showrunner (like what happened when Sorkin left the West Wing).

AMC Officially Greenlights Season 5 Of 'Mad Men' For Early 2012 Premiere

Despite not having a deal with Mad Men creator-executive producer Matt Weiner yet, AMC is officially moving ahead with a fifth season of the Emmy-winning period drama, exercising its option with the series' producer Lionsgate TV. (The cable network made a similar move two years ago when, along with Lionsgate, it was again embroiled in difficult renegotiations with Weiner.) Because of the protracted talks with Weiner, referred to in a statement by AMC as "key non-cast negotiations," the premiere of Season 5 is being pushed from the summer to early next year. Here is the full statement: "AMC has officially authorized production of season 5 of Mad Men, triggering our option with Lionsgate. While we are getting a later start than in years past due to ongoing, key non-cast negotiations, Mad Men will be back for a fifth season in early 2012." Weiner is poised to become the highest-paid showrunner on basic cable with a new mega deal that would pay him close to $30 million over two years. But the lengthy negotiations, which have put Season 5's start of production on hold, may have hit a snag in the final stretch. As we reported last night, Weiner is objecting to three things AMC/Lionsgate are asking for: integrating product placement into the series, cutting two minutes from each episode's running time in favor of more commercials, and eliminating/reducing two regular cast members to save money.

My understanding is that AMC/Lionsgate "own" the rights to the show. Weiner can't take the show elsewhere. AMC could bring in another showrunner (like what happened when Sorkin left the West Wing).
Ewww.Although from what I've read Weiner's as much a singular driving force behind a show as anyone ever has been on any show. If he left the show behind to create a new program for a different network I would be 100% on board with whatever he chose to do next. And I would have much less interest in Mad Men after his departure. And I think most fans would feel the same as I do, especially if it leaked that the reason for the dispute was that they wanted longer commercial breaks and product integration, and then the show adopted those things. So I think Weiner holds most of the cards, and hopefully AMC knows that.

Mad Men will return in 2012, but maybe not with Matthew Weiner

The push to make a fifth season of Mad Men—which everyone from its actors to its fans is bent on willing into being—has slowly unraveled into its own soap operatic off-screen drama, as negotiations between AMC and creator Matthew Weiner continue to argue over the terms of his return. Earlier this morning, Deadline posted a report that put the blame mostly on AMC for pushing Weiner to agree to integrating product placement, cutting two minutes from each episode to make room for more commercials, and scrapping two regular cast members, all in order to save and/or generate more money. That report obviously set off plenty of fan outrage: Obviously, no one wants to lose another member of the Mad Men family when many are still pining for Paul Kinsey, and is there a greater symbol for insidious corporate influence on artistic integrity than product placement?

However, Vulture has now posted a slightly more tempered response to Deadline's report, pointing out that product placement is already a major part of Mad Men's world—even if it's done with a slight satirical edge—and the network is likely simply asking for that to continue, or worst case scenario, that Weiner consider structuring even more of the firm's fictional accounts around its actual sponsors. Yes, it's still sort of tacky, but given that Mad Men is all about advertising, it's hardly as egregious as, say, the characters on Heroes mentioning the words "Nissan Versa" every five minutes. Vulture also confirms that all of Mad Men's principal cast members are signed on for season five, meaning any cuts would likely come from outside the "core cast." We're not sure where Ken Cosgrove (from accounts) falls on that spectrum, but so far it doesn't seem as though anyone key to the show's storyline is in danger.

But while Vulture's sources say that AMC has made every effort to appease Weiner—and in fact, has offered him $30 million to return, making him one of the highest-paid showrunners on television—Weiner has basically broken off talks, and is "currently on a ski holiday," pushing the negotiations well past the reasonable deadline to return to creating new episodes. And unfortunately, it's looking increasingly like AMC is willing to move on without him: The network has just issued a statement reading, "AMC has officially authorized production of season 5 of Mad Men, triggering our option with Lionsgate (Mad Men's production company). While we are getting a later start than in years past due to ongoing, key non-cast negotiations, Mad Men will be back for a fifth season in early 2012." You'll notice there's no mention of Weiner anywhere in there, with the implication being that the show will return with or without him—and you can probably expect to hear a definitive answer on that just as soon as Weiner gets off the slopes.

I would think it would be pretty feasible to work product placements into a show about the advertising industry without it feel like the show is beating us over the head with it.

Doesn't Weiner have all the power in this negotiation? I can't believe AMC would risk killing its best show.

I don't care about product placements. This is a show about advertising.

But this effort to low ball Wiener is ludicrous. With Breaking Bad and Mad Men, AMC has positioned itself as a cable drama powerhouse capable of competing with the likes of HBO and Showtime. But to quibble over money seems insane. There's a lot more at stake here than money. Man Men's current and future success elevates AMC far above any #### network drama.

January Jones is pregnant and she is keeping secret the name of the father.

Rumor has it the father is either Jason Sudekis from SNL or Matthew Vaughn the director of "X-Men" who is married to Claudia Schiffer and already has three kids.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1391877/Pregnant-January-Jones-puts-brave-face-X-Men-director-Matthew-Vaughn-categorically-denies-hes-daddy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
zOMG....can't wait to find out :popcorn:
Schiffer face looking a little rough.

Re-watching on netflix streaming. 'Babylon' (ep 6) is so amazing. Starts with don and betty lying together, sharing intimate thoughts. Then shortly thereafter, he has lunch with rachel, as if he wants her. Then he goes to midge's and he and she and roy all go to the night club. Plus the first scenes between roger and joan and the first time peggys talents are noticed by freddie rumson. Unbelievable episode.

Weird trivia I just stumbled across.

If Joan Holloway/Harris was a real person she would turn 80 today.
You think Don would have hit his eighties, or would the smoking and drinking kept him from seeing Reagan's second term?
Dude would be well into his 80s by now. Hard to tell because nobody is really sure when he was born.
Matthew Weiner did an interview recently where he said that knows how the show is going to end.
Weiner said that he knows how the show will end. “I always felt like it would be the experience of human life. And human life has a destination. It doesn’t mean Don’s gonna die. What I’m looking for, and how I hope to end the show, is like… It’s 2011. Don Draper would be 84 right now. I want to leave the show in a place where you have an idea of what it meant and how it’s related to you.
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/11/15/mad-men-ending-matthew-weiner/

You think Don would have hit his eighties, or would the smoking and drinking kept him from seeing Reagan's second term?
Dude would be well into his 80s by now. Hard to tell because nobody is really sure when he was born.
Matthew Weiner did an interview recently where he said that knows how the show is going to end.
Weiner said that he knows how the show will end. “I always felt like it would be the experience of human life. And human life has a destination. It doesn’t mean Don’s gonna die. What I’m looking for, and how I hope to end the show, is like… It’s 2011. Don Draper would be 84 right now. I want to leave the show in a place where you have an idea of what it meant and how it’s related to you.
Made me think of Six Feet Under's finale, which is the best I've seen.

Cool. 1927 it is then.

3 episodes in season one. I am still waiting on something to happen. I will give it a full season for sure.
Nothing happens. And everything happens. This is way more a character-driven show - and also a slice of time show - than a plot-driven show. There's no "OMG, can't wait to see what happens next week".

Grantland has a full interview with him. Not sure if it's the same one linked above.

When does Season 5 start? Is there an official date?

We just finished season 4 on Netflix. So I suppose I have to wait another year before season 5 shows up on Netflix.

I almost fell over when in Costco a few weeks ago I saw a big bag of UTZ party mix. I had no idea that was a real product!

holy #### do these people drink and smoke a lot
The drinking... I don't know how accurate that is. But I can assure you that in the late 60's and 70's (my point of reference), prettymuch everyone smoked everywhere, all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread