What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (3 Viewers)

Okay so on the popularity of this thread and the recommendations of friends and family my fiancée and I have started watching mad men. We are five episodes into the first season. At the risk of sounding like a pariah here, we are both wondering when exactly do things start to happen? Seems like pure character development so far resulting in not many endearing characters. I think we are both willing to continue watching but can I get some assurance things start to happen?
Just keep watching. I'd told my mother to watch it for years but she never did. She finally put it in her Netflix queue a month or so ago and was hooked by the middle of the first season and watched every episode they had.
This week, I just started watching Mad Men also and I'm digging it. I'm still on season 1, I've been patient with it and I'd say Episode 5-"Babylon" where the Jewish tourism board comes into the office, is the episode that made things start to click for me.I have to turn the volume up to overcome my wife's tsk-ing everytime an affair is revealed. So funny when Roger was #####ing about his sloth of a daughter, you think his wife is in the bathroom, then they cut to Joan putting her dress on.Feel free to spoil for me if Peggy ever becomes good looking.

Okay so on the popularity of this thread and the recommendations of friends and family my fiancée and I have started watching mad men. We are five episodes into the first season. At the risk of sounding like a pariah here, we are both wondering when exactly do things start to happen? Seems like pure character development so far resulting in not many endearing characters. I think we are both willing to continue watching but can I get some assurance things start to happen?
Just keep watching. I'd told my mother to watch it for years but she never did. She finally put it in her Netflix queue a month or so ago and was hooked by the middle of the first season and watched every episode they had.
This week, I just started watching Mad Men also and I'm digging it. I'm still on season 1, I've been patient with it and I'd say Episode 5-"Babylon" where the Jewish tourism board comes into the office, is the episode that made things start to click for me.I have to turn the volume up to overcome my wife's tsk-ing everytime an affair is revealed. So funny when Roger was #####ing about his sloth of a daughter, you think his wife is in the bathroom, then they cut to Joan putting her dress on.Feel free to spoil for me if Peggy ever becomes good looking.
Over time, you start to look past how plain they make her look in the show and appreciate her for her other qualities/characteristics.She's done recent magazine spreads where she's looked pretty damn sexy.

This week, I just started watching Mad Men also and I'm digging it. I'm still on season 1, I've been patient with it and I'd say Episode 5-"Babylon" where the Jewish tourism board comes into the office, is the episode that made things start to click for me.I have to turn the volume up to overcome my wife's tsk-ing everytime an affair is revealed. So funny when Roger was #####ing about his sloth of a daughter, you think his wife is in the bathroom, then they cut to Joan putting her dress on.

Feel free to spoil for me if Peggy ever becomes good looking.
Over time, you start to look past how plain they make her look in the show and appreciate her for her other qualities/characteristics.She's done recent magazine spreads where she's looked pretty damn sexy.
When she first came on the show and then shortly thereafter whored herself to Pete, I wasn't at all into her (and I like plain)but I found myself attracted to her when she was watching all the crazy women scramble for the lipstick and she just sat there.

This week, I just started watching Mad Men also and I'm digging it. I'm still on season 1, I've been patient with it and I'd say Episode 5-"Babylon" where the Jewish tourism board comes into the office, is the episode that made things start to click for me.I have to turn the volume up to overcome my wife's tsk-ing everytime an affair is revealed. So funny when Roger was #####ing about his sloth of a daughter, you think his wife is in the bathroom, then they cut to Joan putting her dress on.

When she first came on the show and then shortly thereafter whored herself to Pete, I wasn't at all into her (and I like plain)but I found myself attracted to her when she was watching all the crazy women scramble for the lipstick and she just sat there.
“Here’s your basket of kisses.”

I'll say this: there's a condition that Peggy has throughout S1, that isn't revealed until the end. So that makes her look progressively worse throughout the season.Mad Men is about a million times better than LOST, btw. I've never been unsatisfied after watching an episode of Mad Men. Some are better than others, but even the average episodes are very strong. LOST will just upset you and make you feel anger. They have admitted making that #### up as they went along, and it shows.

Update for tanner: the fiancée has decided she likes lost better. So unfortunately you'll have to wait awhile for my adding to the mad men discussion.
Hold the phone. You mean to tell me that that girl who has agreed to marry you has bad taste? OH COME ON.

But is she really connected to Don/SCDTBA any more? She might pop up here and there, I wouldn't expect her not too, given that it's the same industry and all, but look how much Betty's role has been reduced, and she's much more closely connected to Don.Potential spoiler:

The season finale has a "V" rating for "intense violence," according to Comcast.
Not a spoiler, at all. Only thing I can think of would be flashbacks to Don in the military.

But is she really connected to Don/SCDTBA any more? She might pop up here and there, I wouldn't expect her not too, given that it's the same industry and all, but look how much Betty's role has been reduced, and she's much more closely connected to Don.Potential spoiler:

The season finale has a "V" rating for "intense violence," according to Comcast.
Not a spoiler, at all. Only thing I can think of would be flashbacks to Don in the military.Or maybe Duck on Okinawa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Answered honestly and came out as Don Draper. Actually thought before I started it would be Pete.There was one question that I would have answered different if not for the real character of Draper and that is drink of choice. I've always been a bit of whiskey drinker but when I started drinking years ago mixed it with soda before moving on to just having it on the rocks. But before watching Mad Men I had no idea what an Old Fashioned was so had I answered that drink question before watching the show I'd have said Vodka which is my second choice liquor. But after I saw Draper drink an Old Fashioned I decided to try one and I've become absolutely hooked on them. The thing about that drink is it's still like 90+% whiskey on the rocks but it's got a nice sweet taste but one that still allows the whiskey taste to come through, unlike say mixing it with a soda. Anyway sorry to get off on that tangent.

I'm realize that this might not be the perfect word choice for a talky, universally-lauded period drama with very little sex or violence (except tonight!), but I am ####### pumped for this.

I'm realize that this might not be the perfect word choice for a talky, universally-lauded period drama with very little sex or violence (except tonight!), but I am ####### pumped for this.
You really expect violence? I would be surprised I guess.

You really expect violence? I would be surprised I guess.
Comcast says "intense violence." :shrug:And intense sexual situations!
if that was the intense violence, that was lame. A stupid fight on the train?

Users who are viewing this thread