What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (2 Viewers)

So the question is: how did Don answer that last question?
The answer is obvious: yes.The real question is why did he answer yes.
I wouldn't be surprised if the next season premiere ignores that scene entirely. It just seemed like a way to leave the audience with a giggle at the end of the season.
No chance.
None whatsoever?
Let me clarify: I think it's entirely possible that that particular encounter is never referenced. But is there a chance that that scene didn't signify a pretty major change in terms of how Don approaches Megan/fidelity? Very, very slim IMO. I don't think Weiner is going to goof off with the last shot of the entire season.
I don't think anyone thought Don was a changed man forever. It's always been a matter of when he will cheat not if. That's why it was funny (at least for me) and not some type of series changing cliffhanger.
I don't see it that way. I think people commit adultery because they're unhappy for some reason, and I don't think Don's perpetually happy or inevitably going to be unhappy. Just my $.02.

'schlesinj said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
Why? Because Don likes women when they're servicing him. It's all the other "stuff" that bores him.
Then why was he faithful for the entire time he's been married to Megan?
My guess is prior to this episode he thought he had a wife that was independent and that challenge him unlike Betty. When she asked and took his help, he no longer sees her that way.
This.

'schlesinj said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
Why? Because Don likes women when they're servicing him. It's all the other "stuff" that bores him.
My guess is prior to this episode he thought he had a wife that was independent and that challenge him unlike Betty. When she asked and took his help, he no longer sees her that way.
This.
I saw it a bit different. As Megans mom told him, if he just nursed her through this latest rejection, he would have the wife he always wanted. After his discussion with Peggy at the theater and watching Megan's test reel, he decided that Megan is an independant woman who has a dream that he could help, even if it means losing her. He's rolling the dice. Probably because he'll be happy either way.

'schlesinj said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
This.
If that's the case, he would be overreacting. Acting is largely about breaks. You can have all the talent in the world and never get a break. There are just too many aspiring actors. This is post-On the Waterfront/Streetcar, remember. Anything that she could do gain exposure is going to help her get bigger and better auditions. It's not like Don just got her cast in The Graduate. She wants to work and has some drive. Betty was just a pretty face and when she wanted to work it was just to model. Megan is far more engaged with the world of ideas. I don't really see what you guys are talking about and if that's the case, then I think they are making a flimsy case for it. It's temporary and I have no doubt that, barring having a kid, that Megan will stay motivated to work. If she doesn't get any traction sometime soon, she'll get sick of sitting around waiting for the phone to ring and do something else. She's too ambitious to be content with domestic life.

'schlesinj said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
This.
I saw it a bit different. As Megans mom told him, if he just nursed her through this latest rejection, he would have the wife he always wanted. After his discussion with Peggy at the theater and watching Megan's test reel, he decided that Megan is an independant woman who has a dream that he could help, even if it means losing her. He's rolling the dice. Probably because he'll be happy either way.
She was compelling in that screen test. Even without sound. And the look on his face was his recognition of that, and that look was similar to the one he had in the Wheel pitch. That's why he used her. It turned out that she was perfect for the part.

'schlesinj said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
This.
If that's the case, he would be overreacting. Acting is largely about breaks. You can have all the talent in the world and never get a break. There are just too many aspiring actors. This is post-On the Waterfront/Streetcar, remember. Anything that she could do gain exposure is going to help her get bigger and better auditions. It's not like Don just got her cast in The Graduate. She wants to work and has some drive. Betty was just a pretty face and when she wanted to work it was just to model. Megan is far more engaged with the world of ideas. I don't really see what you guys are talking about and if that's the case, then I think they are making a flimsy case for it. It's temporary and I have no doubt that, barring having a kid, that Megan will stay motivated to work. If she doesn't get any traction sometime soon, she'll get sick of sitting around waiting for the phone to ring and do something else. She's too ambitious to be content with domestic life.
The point being made here is how Don sees her, not how she sees herself.Not that I agree 100%, but it's a valid perspective.

I think you may be over-thinking it and applying real-world reasoning about a line of work to a fictional drama. What you say is true I'm sure. But I think Don's attitudes are supposed to represent two vastly different ways that society views women- starting from the first episodes of the first season there was the contrast between Peggy and Betty and his relationship with both of them. This season we saw Megan move from the Peggy side of the spectrum to the Betty end- she started out wanting to work more and harder than he did, then she quit to pursue a kind of superficial career, and asking Don to help was apparently supposed to be seen as the last straw. IMO that's what the whole thing of him watching her screen test was about- he went from viewing her as a person to viewing her as a possession.

'schlesinj said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
This.
The point being made here is how Don sees her, not how she sees herself.

Not that I agree 100%, but it's a valid perspective.
I'm not talking about how she sees herself. I'm talking about how she is. Don knows this. He's just still reeling over her rejection of his chosen field and that had been inhibiting his ability to get out of her way. That changed when he cast her for the commercial.

Yes, it's hard to get acting work, but my impression is that the show is trying to tell us that Megan isn't all that great of an actress. That's what the conversation with her mom was about.

I think you may be over-thinking it and applying real-world reasoning about a line of work to a fictional drama. What you say is true I'm sure. But I think Don's attitudes are supposed to represent two vastly different ways that society views women- starting from the first episodes of the first season there was the contrast between Peggy and Betty and his relationship with both of them. This season we saw Megan move from the Peggy side of the spectrum to the Betty end- she started out wanting to work more and harder than he did, then she quit to pursue a kind of superficial career, and asking Don to help was apparently supposed to be seen as the last straw. IMO that's what the whole thing of him watching her screen test was about- he went from viewing her as a person to viewing her as a possession.
I think this take is so far off the mark.

Some of the best scenes have few words.

Don, speaking to Joan: What did Lane want from you?

Joan - :mellow:

Don - :whoosh:

Joan - :mellow:

Don - <_<

Joan - :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, I'm over-thinking it, but since this is a story-line having to do with the industry and instruments that give us the show, I think the details would be considered. And I think she quit the superficial career to do something more substantive. I guess we'll see, but I interpreted it much differently. That's obviously by design. I saw it as both a concession and recognition of her gravitas in front of a camera. Like wow, maybe she can do this and just needs some exposure. If Don hadn't met Roger in that bar, who knows if he'd be where he is and I think he hasn't lost sight of that. And he wants her more than she wants him. That has been established. She would be more comfortable splitting up than he would. She would not put up with being treated like a possession.

Yes, it's hard to get acting work, but my impression is that the show is trying to tell us that Megan isn't all that great of an actress. That's what the conversation with her mom was about.
But that's only half of what her mom said. She said Megan has the temperament of an artist even if she isn't all that talented of an artist. The first part is very important. She was telling Don that Megan sees herself as an artist so he's going to have to treat her as an artist to keep her happy. That goes to the theme I touched on earlier-we are who we are. And Don is a philanderer. So Don decided he's going to let Megan be Megan. And he's going to be who he is.

Her Mom has no idea if she's any good. Whatever she said about the manner of an artist but not an artist? That was just a c#nty thing to say. I think we know that her mother just sucks. Why would she discourage her? She has a husband who makes bank and has all the freedom in the world to chase her passion. Her mother is obviously jealous/bitter/whatever. But she certainly doesn't have her daughter's best interest in mind.

Her Mom has no idea if she's any good. Whatever she said about the manner of an artist but not an artist? That was just a c#nty thing to say. I think we know that her mother just sucks. Why would she discourage her? She has a husband who makes bank and has all the freedom in the world to chase her passion. Her mother is obviously jealous/bitter/whatever. But she certainly doesn't have her daughter's best interest in mind.
Of course she had Megan's interest in mind. She told Don that Megan's happiness was no longer her responsibility because it's now Don's responsibility. And she told him how he had to handle Megan to keep her happy. Don needs to treat her as an artist even if she's not a very good one.

Of course she had Megan's interest in mind. She told Don that Megan's happiness was no longer her responsibility because it's now Don's responsibility. And she told him how he had to handle Megan to keep her happy. Don needs to treat her as an artist even if she's not a very good one.
She shared what she thought was a fundamental, albeit totally condescending and insulting, thing about her daughter with her daughter's husband. How considerate of her. I think it's also possible that mom has her pegged incorrectly and that the times are different and people are growing differently than when she was a young adult. Again...we'll see. I think Megan is more independent than some are giving her credit for, on the show and here.

Maybe, I'm over-thinking it, but since this is a story-line having to do with the industry and instruments that give us the show, I think the details would be considered. And I think she quit the superficial career to do something more substantive. I guess we'll see, but I interpreted it much differently. That's obviously by design. I saw it as both a concession and recognition of her gravitas in front of a camera. Like wow, maybe she can do this and just needs some exposure. If Don hadn't met Roger in that bar, who knows if he'd be where he is and I think he hasn't lost sight of that. And he wants her more than she wants him. That has been established. She would be more comfortable splitting up than he would. She would not put up with being treated like a possession.
I don't see this at all. IMO even though the show is obviously a product of show business the perspective is that acting is one step up from modeling. Remember we're talking about Don's perspective, not the audience.Don pushed his way in after meeting Roger in the bar. Megan let Don push her way in for her after meeting Don in the office. Huge difference, or at least I think it's probably a huge difference in Don's eyes.

I agree she doesn't seem like (or isn't written as) a woman who would tolerate being treated like a possession, but I'm just talking about Don's attitude towards her. Clearly we're supposed to think there was a significant change in that in the season finale.

She shared what she thought was a fundamental, albeit totally condescending and insulting, thing about her daughter with her daughter's husband. How considerate of her. I think it's also possible that mom has her pegged incorrectly and that the times are different and people are growing differently than when she was a young adult. Again...we'll see. I think Megan is more independent than some are giving her credit for, on the show and here.
Of course, she was ready to run off to Boston for 8 weeks for a play. Don's way of handling that was to try to control her. Even though she didn't go to Boston, her asking Don for the audition (and her mom's statements) showed him that she isn't going to give up. So he decided to help her.

I don't see this at all. IMO even though the show is obviously a product of show business the perspective is that acting is one step up from modeling. Remember we're talking about Don's perspective, not the audience.Don pushed his way in after meeting Roger in the bar. Megan let Don push her way in for her after meeting Don in the office. Huge difference, or at least I think it's probably a huge difference in Don's eyes.

I agree she doesn't seem like (or isn't written as) a woman who would tolerate being treated like a possession, but I'm just talking about Don's attitude towards her. Clearly we're supposed to think there was a significant change in that in the season finale.
Yes, Don has accepted her for who she is. And in turn has decided to be who he is.

'schlesinj said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'Good said:
'jdoggydogg said:
This.
She was compelling in that screen test. Even without sound. And the look on his face was his recognition of that, and that look was similar to the one he had in the Wheel pitch. That's why he used her. It turned out that she was perfect for the part.
I agree. He recognizes that she is an independant woman and he might lose her but he's going to help her out and see where it goes. Maybe they don't all move on like Peggy.

Am I the only one who was upset at the Peter storyline this season? He could have gone so many places, other then the obvious spiral out of control ala earlier Don stories

Am I the only one who was upset at the Peter storyline this season? He could have gone so many places, other then the obvious spiral out of control ala earlier Don stories
He went from a hated whiny little self-absorbed ##### to a pathetic loser in the span of what seems like two months

So I've jumped back on the wagon. So far the biggest surprise to me that I didn't see coming was Don giving the artsy girl he was having an affair with the 2500 check after he realized she was in love with another guy.

Totally caught me off guard and makes the Don character seem really complex. Certainly didn't expect him to do that considering he seems to be very self-centered and, like most of that personality type, wouldn't give money to someone who didn't earn it - and, in her case, someone who opposes capitalism and gets high and does art all day.

So I've jumped back on the wagon. So far the biggest surprise to me that I didn't see coming was Don giving the artsy girl he was having an affair with the 2500 check after he realized she was in love with another guy. Totally caught me off guard and makes the Don character seem really complex. Certainly didn't expect him to do that considering he seems to be very self-centered and, like most of that personality type, wouldn't give money to someone who didn't earn it - and, in her case, someone who opposes capitalism and gets high and does art all day.
Don using his position/wealth to help (or not) others is a continuing theme throughout the show. Further complicated when you get into his origin story, which is coming up.

God. We're going to have to sit here and sort through this pud's thoughts on season 1?
:lol:I was thinking the same thing."Damn... Betty just laid there and let that stranger hammer her at the bar!" :eek:
Let the season 1 spoilers fly, I say.
That's the idea. It'll keep him out.
I can't believe that Sal tapped Ken Cosgrove
Or that a John Deere in the office cuts off a guys foot ... oh wait.

God. We're going to have to sit here and sort through this pud's thoughts on season 1?
:lol:I was thinking the same thing."Damn... Betty just laid there and let that stranger hammer her at the bar!" :eek:
Let the season 1 spoilers fly, I say.
That's the idea. It'll keep him out.
I can't believe that Sal tapped Ken Cosgrove
Or when Joan, Peggy and Betty had that lesbian three way :excited:

I know a lot of people thought it fit with the storyline but still didn't like when Sally killed herself.

Thought that was a bit too much.

I know a lot of people thought it fit with the storyline but still didn't like when Sally killed herself.Thought that was a bit too much.
Actually, she was "Sal" by that point. Never in a million years would I have figured that the falling man in the intro was Don's freaking daughter-turned-son. Hello! Hard to remember since it was last season, but wasn't one of her girlfriends from that Girls show?

I was a bit underwhelmed by this season as a whole. Not one of my favorites. But I think it's going to make next season better. :shrug:

I'm early on in Season 3 now, It's probably an episode every two nights pace for the wife and I.

I just finished the one where Sal is named director for the Patio diet soda campaign. :lmao: at the scene where he's reenacting the spot for his wife who has this puzzled look on her face as she realizes she's just his beard.

Users who are viewing this thread