What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (4 Viewers)

I think this was probably my pet theory last season too, but the symbolism in this season's premiere seemed like a strong hint (anvilicious, even) that "Don Draper" needs to die in order for **** Whitman to be happy. Notice the imagery in Don's ad. The business suit (i.e., the trappings of Don Draper) are what's shed on the beach. Don pointedly doesn't know how to act like himself during the photo shoot (and his office, like his identity, has been rearranged to make a better impression). Don's wish, expressed to Nipsey's old squeeze, is to "stop doing this," which I take to mean something broader than just stop cheating on his wife. In last season's premiere, what set Don off was Meghan's insistence that she could love "poor **** Whitman." Don still believes that **** is unworthy of being loved. In last season's finale, the specter of ****'s brother told Don that "it wasn't just his tooth that was rotten." Don's story, IMO, is learning to come to terms with being **** Whitman. Not just to the extent of having people find out, but to the extent of him embracing his own authentic self. Because no external experiences or changes he attempts to make will stick unless he's able to solve this fundamental problem. Of course, because Weiner comes from the David Chase "people can't change" school of television, there's every chance that Don is unable to do that. I hope that's not the case, but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was waiting for Mad Men to return and was quite excited to see it...only to be bored to death by the premier. I hope this season starts picking up, because this was even more slow paced than any previous season opener that I can recall.

Though, Roger nailed every one of his scenes.

Was waiting for Mad Men to return and was quite excited to see it...only to be bored to death by the premier. I hope this season starts picking up, because this was even more slow paced than any previous season opener that I can recall.

I'm sure there's an episode of "Duck Dynasty" out there for you!

I'd bet you'd find similar complaints about last year's season opener (which essentially consisted of Don having a birthday party and SDCP hiring a secretary). Mad Men doesn't do plot early in the season. It establishes themes and lets you know where the characters are at before they start shaking up the situation.

For better or worse, many shows (Game of Thrones is another good example) are hard to evaluate on a week to week basis. The episodes aren't stand-alones. They're better evaluated as chapters of a novel, the way that David Simon thinks the The Wire should be looked at.

So wait...they were smoking weed in a high-powered advertising firm during office hours? That seems implausible.
I wondered about that too. Highly unlikely but maybe?
Seems impossible that'd be allowed in a corporate environment in any decade :shrug:
In a creative firm that is partially run by Roger Sterling in 1968? It'd be more shocking if they weren't smoking weed.
Seems like there would have been enormous legal consequences to smoking in the office in this time period.

So wait...they were smoking weed in a high-powered advertising firm during office hours? That seems implausible.
Seems impossible that'd be allowed in a corporate environment in any decade :shrug:
In a creative firm that is partially run by Roger Sterling in 1968? It'd be more shocking if they weren't smoking weed.
Seems like there would have been enormous legal consequences to smoking in the office in this time period.
The War on Drugs hadn't started yet.

Mandatory sentencing and increased punishment were enacted when the United States Congress passed the Boggs Act of 1952 and the Narcotics Control Act of 1956. The acts made a first-time cannabis possession offence a minimum of two to ten years with a fine up to $20,000; however in 1970 the United States Congress repealed mandatory penalties for cannabis offences.

Mandatory sentencing and increased punishment were enacted when the United States Congress passed the Boggs Act of 1952 and the Narcotics Control Act of 1956. The acts made a first-time cannabis possession offence a minimum of two to ten years with a fine up to $20,000; however in 1970 the United States Congress repealed mandatory penalties for cannabis offences.
Very nice. But it has nothing to do with what I said.

It has everything to do with what you said. Why would any corporation risk massive jail time and allow this to happen? Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Wikkid will chime in here and regail us all with stories of smoking weed with the president of Exxon. Until then, I'll stick by what I said and call it implausible.

It has everything to do with what you said.
:lmao:

It has everything to do with what you said. Why would any corporation risk massive jail time and allow this to happen? Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Wikkid will chime in here and regail us all with stories of smoking weed with the president of Exxon. Until then, I'll stick by what I said and call it implausible.
Have you ever read a history of SNL?

Lol at the idea that that couldn't happen during the 60s at a creative oriented business. They drink in the office constantly and had a secretary riding around on a riding mower.

Im guessing you don't work in sales either. Those that drive revenue tend to get some latitude in privately held companies even today.

I'll go with the show runner who is insane enough to make sure the apples aren't too big and the spam container is from the right year, instead of you.

Have you ever read a history of SNL?
You're talking about 1979 - not the mid 60s.

It has everything to do with what you said.
Since my citing of harsh drug penalties has nothing to do with the war on drugs, then why don't you explain your comment rather than use emoticons.

Look, I never claimed to be the pot law expert. I asked if it was plausible.

All I've been offered is "It's a creative firm." I've worked at creative firms. This decade. We never lit up a joint at work.

Jdogg, i think the fact you are questioning whether it was implausible is a bit silly since these ad execs arent exactly following the laws be it drinking and driving, soliciting a coworker for prostitution etc...

Jdogg, i think the fact you are questioning whether it was implausible is a bit silly since these ad execs arent exactly following the laws be it drinking and driving, soliciting a coworker for prostitution etc...
Drunk driving was not considered as serious crime as it is now, I assume.

You say it's silly, but the only thing I've seen refuting my question is pure supposition.

All I've been offered is "It's a creative firm." I've worked at creative firms. This decade. We never lit up a joint at work.
Did I mention that this firm is in the weed center of the United States in Northern California? Or that the owner of the firm is a techno DJ? No weed.

Did I mention that this firm is in the weed center of the United States in Northern California? Or that the owner of the firm is a techno DJ? No weed.
Oh, and we designed bong catalogs on occasion. Very weed-friendly workplace. No weed.

Drunk driving was not considered as serious crime as it is now, I assume.

You say it's silly, but the only thing I've seen refuting my question is pure supposition.
Other than the indisputable fact that the War on Drugs had not started in 1968.

And all you've offered is that "no company would have taken that chance," which is also supposition. I brought up SNL because there are dozens of stories of O'Donoughue having piles of blow on his desk at 30 Rock through the late 70s and early 80s. I just doesn't seem implausible.

Not that it supports either side but back in the first 1 or 2 episodes of the series Kinsey mentions he knows of a firm where "all they do is play darts and smoke Mary Jane" and then he goes on to say they one of the best shops on the street. That took place in 1960. :shrug:

Not that it supports either side but back in the first 1 or 2 episodes of the series Kinsey mentions he knows of a firm where "all they do is play darts and smoke Mary Jane" and then he goes on to say they one of the best shops on the street. That took place in 1960. :shrug:
Not to mention, Peggy and Kinsey have already smoked in the office. This is a stupid conversation. If he's never been exposed to that kind of work environment, so be it. He dead set on not believing it could exist.

Not to mention, Peggy and Kinsey have already smoked in the office. This is a stupid conversation. If he's never been exposed to that kind of work environment, so be it. He dead set on not believing it could exist.
Never said it couldn't exist.

Again, all I've seen so far is people disagreeing with me based on their opinions. You're assuming this is historically accurate, not proving it.

Again, all I've seen so far is people disagreeing with me based on their opinions. You're assuming this is historically accurate, not proving it.
I don't think it can be proven historically. It can't be disproved either I guess.

I would say that it is possible enough to not warrant criticism.

Cool.

Fascinating. In the Argo thread, people say they don't like the movie because it plays loose with the facts. Here, people treat Mad Men like it's a 1965 newsreel with 100% accuracy. I know this has become silly, but all I did was ask if this was accurate, and the consensus was, "Yes. Trust me."

I love this show. I think it does a great job with research and historical realism. The weed smoking in an open-air office only seemed weird because could you imagine what one of these stilted, puritanical clients would think about their marketing firm using illegal drugs. That's all.

Fascinating. In the Argo thread, people say they don't like the movie because it plays loose with the facts. Here, people treat Mad Men like it's a 1965 newsreel with 100% accuracy. I know this has become silly, but all I did was ask if this was accurate, and the consensus was, "Yes. Trust me."
I've done blow in the office with the VP of Sales of a dot com in 1997 prior to a Monday night Niners game. With his hooker secretary, too. I heard of programmers downstairs doing coke to help them work long hours. This sales guy regularly entertained clients with coke and hookers. No, it's not inconcievable to me that in beatnick/hippie days of NYC that an ad agency on Madison Ave where people drink and smoke all day at work that the creative team might smoke weak, not very pungent pot in the office.

####, time to abort thread.

I've done blow in the office with the VP of Sales of a dot com in 1997 prior to a Monday night Niners game. With his hooker secretary, too. I heard of programmers downstairs doing coke to help them work long hours. This sales guy regularly entertained clients with coke and hookers. No, it's not inconcievable to me that in beatnick/hippie days of NYC that an ad agency on Madison Ave where people drink and smoke all day at work that the creative team might smoke weak, not very pungent pot in the office.
I don't disagree.

I love this show. I think it does a great job with research and historical realism. The weed smoking in an open-air office only seemed weird because could you imagine what one of these stilted, puritanical clients would think about their marketing firm using illegal drugs. That's all.
How would they know?

How would they know?
Good question, grandma. Because pot smoke is odorless and invisible.

How many more times can I say that the War on Drugs hadn't started yet?
New York's Rockefeller Drug LawsIn the late 1960s and early 1970s, New York legislators faced a drug problem they feared was growing out of control. Federal statistics showed as many as 559,000 users nationwide and state police saw a 31 percent increase in drug arrests by 1972. In response Gov. Nelson Rockefeller, a liberal-leaning Republican who was said to have had presidential aspirations, created the Narcotic Addiction and Control Commission in 1967, aimed at helping addicts get clean. After the program proved too costly and ineffective, New York launched the Methadone Maintenance Program, which similarly caused little reduction in drug use. But by 1973, calls for stricter penalties had grown too loud to ignore, prompting Albany to enact legislation that created mandatory minimum sentences of 15 years to life for possession of four ounces of narcotics — about the same as a sentence for second-degree murder. The statutes became known as the Rockefeller Drug Laws — a milestone in America's war on drugs and the subject of one of the most abrasive legal tug-of-wars in the nation. The laws almost immediately led to an increase in drug convictions, but no measurable decrease in overall crime. Meanwhile, critics argued that they criminalized what was primarily a public health problem, incarcerated nonviolent felons who were better off in treatment, caused a jump in recidivism rates, and prevented judges from using discretion in sentencing. In January, during his State of the State address, New York Gov. David Paterson told his audience: "I can't think of a criminal justice strategy that has been more unsuccessful than the Rockefeller Drug Laws."

The effect of the new sentencing guidelines has been dramatic. Drug offenders as a percentage of New York's prison population surged from 11% in 1973 to a peak of 35% in 1994, according to the state's Corrections Department. The surge was mostly a result of convictions for "nonviolent, low-level drug possession and drug sales" Paterson told TIME, "people who were addicted and were selling to try to maintain their habits." According to Paterson, just 16% had a history of violence. "And so really," he says, "you're shipping off a generation." In 1979, the laws were amended, reducing penalties for marijuana posession. But despite the ongoing criticism in New York, other states began to enact laws to deal with their own drug problems. In 1978, for example, Michigan passed its infamous "650-lifer" law which required judges to incarcerate drug offenders convicted of delivering more than 650 grams of narcotics. Also, in 1987, Minnesota passed laws that imprisoned offenders for at least four years for crack cocaine possession. (Read "Mandatory Sentencing: Stalled Reform".)

By the mid-1980s, the war on drugs was in full swing, as the crack epidemic threatened to overwhelm American cities' criminal justice systems. Drug crimes had become increasingly violent, prompting calls for even stricter mandatory minimum sentencing laws. In 1986, the Reagan Administration passed a law requiring federal judges to give fixed sentences to drug offenders based on variables including the amount seized and the presence of firearms.

But activists began to increasingly complain that the laws were too harsh and that non-violent offenders were being lumped in with narcotics kingpins and unfairly left at the mercy of the penal system. Celebrities including hip hop mogul Russell Simmons and actors Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon lobbied for the cause. In 2004, prompted by increasing pressure from activists and legislators, then-Gov. George Pataki signed the Drug Law Reform Act, a move that significantly changed the Rockefeller laws' sentencing guidelines. The harshest mandatory minimum was relaxed to 8 to 20 years and those convicted of serious offenses were allowed to apply for lighter sentences. (Read "The Wire's War on the Drug War".)

Some critics, however, felt the new act did not go far enough to reverse the damage they felt the original laws had done. Even Paterson, who had served as a State Senator representing Harlem during the height of the crack epidemic, says he felt the legislation "didn't make any kind of difference." He noted a serious racial disparity to the effect of the laws. "Ninety-two percent of the inmates in these facilities on drug crimes were black and Hispanic, while the [proportion of the overall] population was 32 percent." Read "Another By-Product of the Recession: Ex-Convicts"

Under his predecessor, Gov. Eliot Spitzer, Paterson and his colleagues began to work on new legislation that would replace punishment with treatment where needed, even in the case of some first offenders who pled guilty. The result was an agreement on March 25 between Paterson and state legislators on a bill that would give judges more discretion in sentencing by eliminating mandatory minimums for some higher-level drug offenders and making lower level offenders eligible for treatment.

The bill pleases activists like Gabriel Sayegh, project director at the Drug Policy Alliance, who has sought such changes for years. "Now they are going to bring equity to the system," he says. However, some prosecutors believe the 2004 reforms were enough and no further reforms are needed. "There is no question you'll get more second and third time offenders," says Michael C. Green, Monroe County District Attorney. "The option is being taken away to potentially jail an offender who has committed prior violent felonies." Green cited statistics that showed the state's drug incarceration rate dropping to about 11,000 last year as a result of the 2004 reforms and says it's even a misnomer to call the current statutes Rockefeller Laws at all. Paterson believes, however, the reforms are a way to reduce both incarceration and recidivism, and ultimately make the system work correctly — and more cheaply. "We will save, shortly, in the hundreds of millions of dollars over this shift," he notes. "Also we'll cure more people. And then you can't calculate how much money you save."
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1888864,00.html#ixzz2Q6FAO3z2

How would they know?
How would a "stilted, puritanical client" know what they were smelling?

How would they know?
:lmao: For realsies or am I getting fished again?

How would they know?
If you've never smelled it how would you know what you were smelling?

I think I'm the one being fished.

You can say it 1,000 times, but you still haven't refuted this fact:Mandatory sentencing and increased punishment were enacted when the United States Congress passed the Boggs Act of 1952 and the Narcotics Control Act of 1956. The acts made a first-time cannabis possession offense a minimum of two to ten years with a fine up to $20,000.

You can say it 1,000 times, but you still haven't refuted this fact:Mandatory sentencing and increased punishment were enacted when the United States Congress passed the Boggs Act of 1952 and the Narcotics Control Act of 1956. The acts made a first-time cannabis possession offense a minimum of two to ten years with a fine up to $20,000.

How would they know?
If you've never smelled it how would you know what you were smelling?

I think I'm the one being fished.
You got me there. Obviously if someone is puritanical they've never been exposed to those things that they are opposed to. Makes perfect sense.

Again, you paste an emoticon rather than answer the question. I assume you're clinging to The War On Drugs to imply that we didn't get serious about drug enforcement until The War On Drugs. Seems that a mandatory 2 year sentence for any pot possession is fairly harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread