What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation said:
It's stupid how good this show is.
I totally get this. Every show has its loyal following. Breaking Bad could show weeks old urine on the screen and I would love it.

However from a casual observer this show is losing (if not lost) its mojo. Its almost like too much of a good thing. They cannot figure out which way to go. I see it as a show to DVR for sure but for me its not really "must see". It really started slipping last season. There just doesnt seem to be any true direction. The dialogue can certainly be witty at times I confess but maybe I am just missing the bigger picture of this series.

Why did they even bother with the Burt Peterson angle? All during the partners meeting they were talking about him and his accounts etc., and then they fire him?

Raider Nation said:
I totally get this. Every show has its loyal following. Breaking Bad could show weeks old urine on the screen and I would love it. However from a casual observer this show is losing (if not lost) its mojo. Its almost like too much of a good thing. They cannot figure out which way to go. I see it as a show to DVR for sure but for me its not really "must see". It really started slipping last season. There just doesnt seem to be any true direction. The dialogue can certainly be witty at times I confess but maybe I am just missing the bigger picture of this series.
The direction is the total destruction of Don Draper. Seems pretty obvious to me actually.

Raider Nation said:
I totally get this. Every show has its loyal following. Breaking Bad could show weeks old urine on the screen and I would love it.

However from a casual observer this show is losing (if not lost) its mojo. Its almost like too much of a good thing. They cannot figure out which way to go. I see it as a show to DVR for sure but for me its not really "must see". It really started slipping last season. There just doesnt seem to be any true direction. The dialogue can certainly be witty at times I confess but maybe I am just missing the bigger picture of this series.
Well, there you go.

Why did they even bother with the Burt Peterson angle? All during the partners meeting they were talking about him and his accounts etc., and then they fire him?
I think it was simply to set him up. He's the guy that went ape-crap the first time they fired him. That's why Roger took such pleasure in firing him again.

Raider Nation said:

It is still going strong in my opinion, but I am kinda glad it is the second to last season. I do feel it is running out of steam, and one more season is about right

Raider Nation said:

#1 theme is the show is to show how broken we all are and how we go about dealing with those things that come back into out lives constantly and never truly get fixed.

Pete's mom saying pathetically "I'll have the cook make your favorite for dinner" was an underrated sad moment.

Not that anyone can get into Don's head, but I wonder why he doesn't find Megan to be the least bit interesting anymore. She is sufficiently intelligent, has a nice rack, doesn't nag too badly, etc. And it must be nice banging a TV star.

Don was reduced to **** Whitman at the end, completely powerless, he started questioning his entire character again. He was shaken when the Don Draper power angle stopped working, did not know what to do with himself. The guy is fragile.

It was a weird episode though, I think they did cram too many stories in there where I am not sure where they are going.

The Pete and Mom scenes were weird, what was the point of that.

Don was reduced to **** Whitman at the end, completely powerless, he started questioning his entire character again. He was shaken when the Don Draper power angle stopped working, did not know what to do with himself. The guy is fragile.

It was a weird episode though, I think they did cram too many stories in there where I am not sure where they are going.

The Pete and Mom scenes were weird, what was the point of that.
It was great to hear Don say: "Please?" when the mistress said no more relationship. Roles reversed in seconds

great episode. Don just keeps getting darker..

I love the Bob Benson character....

Don is still an insecure child, and as his youth and looks start to fail him, he won't have anthing to fall back on; he doesn't bond. He's playing a role that isn't even him

Not that anyone can get into Don's head, but I wonder why he doesn't find Megan to be the least bit interesting anymore. She is sufficiently intelligent, has a nice rack, doesn't nag too badly, etc. And it must be nice banging a TV star.
I think that part of it may be his insecurity. He was seriously affected by Peggy leaving. He sees that Megan doesn't need him and is independent (several references to her youth and freedom over the past couple seasons). He is completely drawn to women who are powerful and interesting, perhaps in order to make up for the void within himself and his own insecurities. But then he either uses up everything he can get from them, or they can't stand him, and he withdraws.

I forget whether there was a specific reason that he started working at CDC (maybe just symbolizing Teddy trying to be like Don or something), but then he was there, so they had to do something with him. I imagine the writers all sat around (like the partners) and decided who should stay and who should go and why. And then someone probably gets this devilish grin and says "what if Roger mercilessly skewers Burt again and sends him packing?"

Users who are viewing this thread