Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Mad Men on AMC

So is Bob Benson his real name?

I realize he made up the colleges and stuff but he didnt make up that previous workplace where he was the joke of the town.

I think his last name is fake. Didn't Duck say that Brown & Co. (or whatever) remembered a "Bobby" who was a man servant whose parents were related?

Had a thunderstorm last night. DVR cut out during the meeting with St. Joseph's, just as Don told the guy they were pushing the commercial for "personal reasons", and Peggy and Ted look really uncomfortable. I'm guessing the commercial got nixed and Ted yelled at Don? What else happened after that?

Had a thunderstorm last night. DVR cut out during the meeting with St. Joseph's, just as Don told the guy they were pushing the commercial for "personal reasons", and Peggy and Ted look really uncomfortable. I'm guessing the commercial got nixed and Ted yelled at Don? What else happened after that?

Peggy yelled at Don and Pete yelled at Bob.

Don told client it was Frank Gleason's last work. After the meeting confronted Ted about Peggy.

Full recap here

http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men/episodes/season-6/the-quality-of-mercy#episode-details-1043507

Also who was Bob speaking to into the phone in the foreign language? Since when did this show become Lost?

That wasn't exactly a lost type mystery.

haha, i figured it was the caretaker but the stuff he added about Pete blocking his path was weird since I didnt see how Minolo cared about the office politics.

Also who was Bob speaking to into the phone in the foreign language? Since when did this show become Lost?

That wasn't exactly a lost type mystery.

haha, i figured it was the caretaker but the stuff he added about Pete blocking his path was weird since I didnt see how Minolo cared about the office politics.

Maybe Bob is just venting on his boyfriend.

So is Bob Benson his real name?

I realize he made up the colleges and stuff but he didnt make up that previous workplace where he was the joke of the town.

i didn't get that either

The whole bob benson storyline is bizarre.

The "not so slick" Don Draper?

I've been drinking and I just want to say that I very much wish to see Joan topless someday.

I showed the wife the clip of a topless January Jones a couple of weeks ago. She wasn't all that interested. But she did say "You know I don't think I've ever said this about another woman but I really want to see pics of Joan's boobs."

The wife insists they are "too big". I tell her to shut her whore mouth every time she says it.

I've been drinking and I just want to say that I very much wish to see Joan topless someday.

I showed the wife the clip of a topless January Jones a couple of weeks ago. She wasn't all that interested. But she did say "You know I don't think I've ever said this about another woman but I really want to see pics of Joan's boobs."

The wife insists they are "too big". I tell her to shut her whore mouth every time she says it.

I think a lot of it comes from her being generally overweight, but boob weight is good weight. :wub:

Do not expect nice firm torpedoes standing at attention as they do when she's clothed. I would guarantee they sag considerably without an industrial strength bra to hold them up.

Interesting use of music at the end: The Porpoise Song by the Monkees. In the movie "Head", the song played while Mickey Dolenz fell slow-motion in a similiar way to the opening credits of Mad Men.

I picked up on that as well. Also wonder if the fact that it came from the "Head" soundtrack related to the fact that Don told Ted over and over "you're not using your head".

Anyway, killer song and was happy to see it used in the episode.

Do not expect nice firm torpedoes standing at attention as they do when she's clothed. I would guarantee they sag considerably without an industrial strength bra to hold them up.

No way.

Thanks, Kreskin.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Aaron Rudnicki" data-cid="15661257" data-time="1371591907"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Leeroy Jenkins" data-cid="15659373" data-time="1371528185"><p> Watched it a second time and liked it more. Don was particularly great.Edit: whoa. Don't know WTF happened there but let's chalk it up to the board blowing.

Edited by Premier

I don't understand the Sally-Glen thing. Didn't he break into the house and throw food around a few seasons ago? Now he fights for her honor but doesn't want to make out with her because she's like a sister?

it probably has something to do with him banging her Mom

Interesting use of music at the end: The Porpoise Song by the Monkees. In the movie "Head", the song played while Mickey Dolenz fell slow-motion in a similiar way to the opening credits of Mad Men.

I picked up on that as well. Also wonder if the fact that it came from the "Head" soundtrack related to the fact that Don told Ted over and over "you're not using your head".

Anyway, killer song and was happy to see it used in the episode.

Loved that song there.

Seen this clip a lot over the past few days.

I think it's a pivotal scene to the extent it shows again how much Don's character has morphed over the years. In seasons past, no way would he have allowed himself to cut loose like that.

Great ep. :shrug:

Yea, I don't get the hate.

It's one I'll need to rewatch. There are some really memorable scenes - Don in the board room shaming Ted, Bob and Pete, and Don going "Wahhh"

Some of it - the boarding school plotline - fell a bit flat for me

I don't understand the Sally-Glen thing. Didn't he break into the house and throw food around a few seasons ago? Now he fights for her honor but doesn't want to make out with her because she's like a sister?

Strange is strange.

Strange is strange.

He spent a day in the city with her last season, and they talk a lot on the phone. The break in was a while ago.

Top of The Lake (on Netflix), is really, really good. Elisabeth Moss is the lead and also she does sex scenes and has her boobies out, if you need some motivation.

She's not a bad looking dame. :shrug:

Yeah she looks a lot better in top of the lake than mad men IMO.

NEW YORK (AP) — Breaking up is hard to do. That is, unless you're "Mad Men," which this season has been free-and-easy in its fragmentation.

By now Peggy Olson and her radical beau are splitsville. So are Pete Campbell and wife Trudy, who caught him philandering one too many times.

Twice-wed Roger Sterling, currently solo, saw his knotty relationship with his mom torn asunder with her death this season, and he's alienated from his daughter and grandson.

And don't forget the latest romantic entanglement of Don Draper, whose marriage to winsome Megan seemed on suicide watch as, every chance he got, he scorched the sheets with downstairs neighbor Sylvia (wife of Don's presumed friend Dr. Arnold Rosen).

The only notable coming-together: the stormy merger of Sterling, Cooper, Draper and Pryce with former rival ad agency Cutler, Gleason and Chaough, which has assembled a bickering band of ad execs only slightly more collegial than either house of Congress.

Is the unmoored zeitgeist of 1968 to blame for this season's pattern of upheavals? Does the Vietnam War, the assassinations and riots help account for the turmoil on the show? Or the '60s drug culture (they smoke pot at the office, and on one episode, a Dr. Feelgood arrives with a hypodermic needle to keep everybody energized)?

Whatever, the psyches on "Mad Men" in this, its sixth and penultimate season, seem to be unraveling as the season finale approaches (Sunday at 10 p.m. EDT on AMC). The male psyches, anyway.

On the other hand, the sisters increasingly are doin' it for themselves.

Peggy Olson is stronger, more clear-eyed and outspoken than ever. (In last week's episode, she read Don the riot act: "You're a monster!")

Tough, pneumatic Joan Harris, who since the series began has fashioned an unlikely rise from office manager to agency partner, has truly come into her own in recent weeks, notably when she went rogue and landed a major account all by herself (a no-no for a woman in this Alpha Male shop).

Don's ex, the remarried Betty Francis, seemed to step outside her pouty state of victimhood in a recent episode to forcefully remind Don that he still has feelings for her.

But who knows what awaits Megan, Don's devoted wife? In love with Don but unsettled by his growing detachment (even as she remains oblivious to his cheating), she seems poised to become the latest Draper roadkill.

"That poor girl," said been-there Betty to Don. "She doesn't know that loving you is the worst way to get to you."

All in all, it's been a satisfying, illuminating season well served by the superb cast, including Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss, John Slattery, Vincent Kartheiser, Christina Hendricks and Jessica Pare.

In his new supporting role, Harry Hamlin as a courtly, quirky agency partner has been a delight in his every scene. Likewise, eager-beaver enigma Bob Benson (James Wolk) has been fun to watch while raising questions from the audience (Just what's his game at the agency?) and inspiring wild speculation (a government spy?!).

And Linda Cardellini has been a revelation as Sylvia, the latest woman Don believed he had to have, and did, with a calamitous outcome.

"Mad Men," which arguably has never really been about advertising, seems this season to have taken a step further back from the nuts-and-bolts of Madison Avenue. At the office, the internecine bickering, politics and posturing seem to leave little time for creating ads. Even conference-room sparring about butter versus margarine seemed more about one-upmanship than selling a product.

This season, as usual, "Mad Men" stuck to its elliptical ways, rarely saying too much or gobsmacking the viewer with an OMG moment.

All the more shocking, then, when in a recent episode - by the worst mischance - Don's teenage daughter, Sally, caught Don in the sack with Sylvia.

For a girl already alienated by her parents' divorce, by her own roiling adolescence and perhaps - who knows? - by the youth rebellion the '60s are fomenting, this sight is clearly traumatic (and perhaps all the more so, since Sally was nursing a crush on the Rosens' teenage son). It's a lot to bear for this member of the youth generation already conditioned not to trust anybody over 30.

And Don knows it. Throughout the season, he seems to have hastened a downward slide. Not only has his private life been extra messy, he has also sabotaged his agency's campaigns and messed up a stock offering that stood to make him and his partners rich.

Now, after Sally barged in on him, his shame is beyond measure. At last week's fade-out, viewers left him in a state of surrender: on his office couch, curled in a fetal position.

Among the questions for the season finale: How can Don begin the process of redeeming himself? And will he?