What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick To Take LOA (1 Viewer)

Family Matters

Footballguy
Another step in the case.

Per PFT:

POSTED 6:23 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 6:34 p.m. EDT, July 23, 2007

VICK TO TAKE LEAVE OF ABSENCE by Michael David Smith

Fox 5 in Atlanta reports that Michael Vick will take a leave of absence.

So far this has not been reported anywhere else. The entirety of the Fox 5 report is, "The NFL says that Michael Vick will be taking a leave of absence.
Here is the link to FOX that's reporting this:http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/Ho...mp;pageId=1.1.1

Edit to add link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had heard it was coming down today but was curious why nothing official had broke. Looks like it's happening.

:jawdrop:

Although I am disappointed to not be able to see Vick go on the road in his first two games and get ridiculously booed. That would have been AWESOME.

His arraignment is scheduled for July 26.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's until his trial is over.

His arraignment is scheduled for July 26.I wouldn't be surprised if it's until his trial is over.
That would miake sense as it will likely be positioned as him taking time to focus on his defense..and of course not be a distraction to team'btw, credit to Launch for breaking this earlier in the Vick Indicted thread. :thumbup: (And to FoxAtlanta; ESPN still saying news may be coming tonight)

figured..had to happen..wish I could say good luck to him...but i've allready said it to the prosucuting team.

so what is Vick's dynasty value now?

if someone offered you one of these QBs: Kolb/Beck/Stanton, would you take it LOL?

right thing IMO. Shows the league and team is taking this seriously, not to mention Vick. I know they've been trying to get him to do this since Saturday. Wonder what finally influenced him?

right thing IMO. Shows the league and team is taking this seriously, not to mention Vick. I know they've been trying to get him to do this since Saturday. Wonder what finally influenced him?
Who knows yet where this LOA comes from. The one sentence adticle doesn't say whose idea it was. Could be Vick, the team or the league. My money's on the team, or co decision of team and Vick

Going to be some hurting fantasy teams out there now. :unsure:
Shouldn't be - this has been on the horizon for a while- even before the indictment it smelled.
Some of us play in dynasties and are now stuck playing Rex Grossman.Have some compassion for others. :lmao: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Sorry, a little too busy feeling compassion for electrocuted and hanged dogs to give a crap about you and your Grossman problem.Perhaps you need to study up on the concept of compassion. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: (an extra :thumbdown: has been added for emphasis.)

Who knows yet where this LOA comes from. The one sentence adticle doesn't say whose idea it was. Could be Vick, the team or the league. My money's on the team, or co decision of team and Vick
I expect there will be something about how the parties mutually agreed that this is best for Michael and the team as he needs to focus on his defense and the team needs to get ready for the season. I'm sure Michael has been told that this will be a way for him to get outof the spotlight withput any admissions or charges of guilt. Who pushed for it may not be known. Doubt it is Vick..at least w/o someone in his ear.

Going to be some hurting fantasy teams out there now. :thumbdown:
Shouldn't be - this has been on the horizon for a while- even before the indictment it smelled.
Some of us play in dynasties and are now stuck playing Rex Grossman.Have some compassion for others. :lmao: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
if your serious then OH WELL TO BAD FOR YOU AND IF YOU DID NOT SEE THIS COMING AND MAKE A MOVE ITS ALL ON YOU AND YOUR TERRBILE FF PLAYING. i HOPE HE ROTS FOR 10 IN THE CLINKER.

I think this is what helped make up Vick's mind:

"During an interview today on ESPN, Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Steve Wyche stated that Falcons owner Arthur Blank could possibly release QB Michael Vick by the end of the week. If that happens, the Falcons will take a salary cap hit of $6 million this year and $15 million next. vick is facing various felony charges that stem from his involvement with dog fighting. If convicted, he could face up to six years in prison and $350,000 in fines."

Vick wanted to stay. ATL and the NFL probably floated this idea to him to let him know how fans felt about the prospects of him playing.

I think this is what helped make up Vick's mind:"During an interview today on ESPN, Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Steve Wyche stated that Falcons owner Arthur Blank could possibly release QB Michael Vick by the end of the week. If that happens, the Falcons will take a salary cap hit of $6 million this year and $15 million next. vick is facing various felony charges that stem from his involvement with dog fighting. If convicted, he could face up to six years in prison and $350,000 in fines."Vick wanted to stay. ATL and the NFL probably floated this idea to him to let him know how fans felt about the prospects of him playing.
I don't see how that helps too much if Blank is willing to take the cap hit by dropping him, is he going to want to let Vick just hang out under contract? Another big question is whether it is with or without pay. With pay then I'd say Blank still drops him if that was the plan. If it'd without then I guess there's no reason to drop him on the off chance he gets cleared.

Some of us play in dynasties and are now stuck playing Rex Grossman.Have some compassion for others. :X :cry: :(
Get off Grossman's jock, he'll be dominating the NFL for many years to come, get used to it.
Let's hope so. :thumbup:

The Fox story is almost two hours old yet it's not being reported elsewhere. It makes me wonder why it's not all over the news.

Goodell orders Vick to skip Falcons camp

Jay Glazer

FOXSports.com, Updated 7 minutes ago

The first of what could be a handful of actions taken against Michael Vick by the commissioner's office has been decided.

FOXSports.com has learned that commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered Vick not to attend Falcons training camp as his first step in determining Vick's future in the league. That would give the league office more time to assess the facts and judge additional facts that may come to light in the next month.

This is just the first part of what could be an extensive punishment for Vick's alleged involvement in a gruesome dogfighting operation at a property owned by him in Virginia.

There could also be a strong push to sit Vick down for the year while he clears up his personal problems. In fact, this action could even convince Vick to take a year-long leave of absence, which would certainly be the simplest resolution for all parties.

Vick is already facing federal charges for the dogfighting fiasco that has turned the Falcons upside down and could face state charges related to the operation.

Calls to the league office for comment have not yet been returned.

LINK

NFL Considers Plan to Keep Vick Out of Camp

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, July 23, 2007; 7:12 PM

NFL officials today were considering a plan that would keep quarterback Michael Vick from reporting to training camp with the Atlanta Falcons this week, sources close to the situation said.

According to one source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive and controversial nature of the deliberations, league officials were leaning toward a plan in which Vick would not report to camp and his playing status would be determined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after a meeting between the two.

The league was preparing to announce its decision tonight or Tuesday, the source said.

"I think you'll see something happen very shortly," the source said. "It would be a short-term solution. He wouldn't be going to camp, and then what would happen after that would be determined by the commissioner. The commissioner would never impose discipline on a player without meeting with the player first."

Vick and three associates were indicted by a federal grand jury last week on conspiracy charges related to their alleged operation of a dog-fighting ring based at a property owned by Vick in southeastern Virginia. Vick is scheduled to make his initial court appearance Thursday afternoon in Richmond while his teammates participate in their opening practice of training camp in Flowery Branch, Ga.

Falcons players are scheduled to report to training camp Wednesday.

LINK

FOXSports.com has learned that commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered the Atlanta Falcons quarterback not to attend the team's training camp as his first step in determining Vick's future in the league. That would give the league office more time to assess the facts and judge additional facts that may come to light in the next month.

ILUVBEER99 said:
NoFBinLA said:
jurb26 said:
Some of us play in dynasties and are now stuck playing Rex Grossman.Have some compassion for others. :thumbup: :violin: :bye:
My condolences.HOWEVERThis is not nearly as bad for you as it is for the odd folk who might have redraft league drafts already.This will not be a popular take but as I have written elsewhere several times, it is not inconceivable that Vick could play again - and depending upon circumstance, he could continue to play as he has, a top 10 QB.Now, I'm saying this knowing full well that many - including those here in this very thread - will never have Vick on their team again. And as with many others, I am disgusted and appalled by his involvement. That said, from a pure Dynasty standpoint, if you have room on your bench, Vick could come back and represent value. That's the cold-hearted analysis. The truth is, at times, the public gets distracted from the most horrible things and people get second chances.It's not without massive risk at present - but he could represent some Dynasty Fantasy value if you can/ware willing to wait on it.But this year, you could be boned.Grossman though, while inconsistent - it's not like you're rolling Josh McCown in each week.Again, I am merely talking about fantasy points and x's and o's - we can have a moral discussion (and have already elsewhere) but I'm not looking at it from that way in this post.I now step back and await the bricks. :unsure:

David Yudkin said:
Goodell orders Vick to skip Falcons camp

Jay Glazer

FOXSports.com, Updated 7 minutes ago

The first of what could be a handful of actions taken against Michael Vick by the commissioner's office has been decided.

FOXSports.com has learned that commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered Vick not to attend Falcons training camp as his first step in determining Vick's future in the league. That would give the league office more time to assess the facts and judge additional facts that may come to light in the next month.

This is just the first part of what could be an extensive punishment for Vick's alleged involvement in a gruesome dogfighting operation at a property owned by him in Virginia.

There could also be a strong push to sit Vick down for the year while he clears up his personal problems. In fact, this action could even convince Vick to take a year-long leave of absence, which would certainly be the simplest resolution for all parties.

Vick is already facing federal charges for the dogfighting fiasco that has turned the Falcons upside down and could face state charges related to the operation.

Calls to the league office for comment have not yet been returned.

LINK
LOA? ESPN had reported on NFL Live that Blank wasn't keen on paying Mr. Vick if the commish iced him for the season. So this begs many questions. What if Vick gets acquitted? Who is paying his salary? 17 canine corpses found on his property with the feds hot on his heels doesn't bode well for Ron 'Oookie' Mexico but the publicity hit and the three ring circus, not to mention sponsors dropping like flies probably forced Goddell's hand in this case. This had to be done no matter what the outcome is of this indictement.

After reading up on all this extensively the past week or so, if the NFL is hanging their hat on the Personal Conduct Policy to bail them out, I'm not sure that that is 100% going to get them where they want to go. The new policy seems to indicate that first time offenders can't be suspended for first time criminal violations.

IMO, this is a temproary fix until they can figure out how best to keep Vick off the firld, because I'm not sure this one will stick long term. Again, they could have plenty other things cooking that has not yet been reported, but I'm not sure this is the best way to pin him with a suspension.

After reading up on all this extensively the past week or so, if the NFL is hanging their hat on the Personal Conduct Policy to bail them out, I'm not sure that that is 100% going to get them where they want to go. The new policy seems to indicate that first time offenders can't be suspended for first time criminal violations. IMO, this is a temproary fix until they can figure out how best to keep Vick off the firld, because I'm not sure this one will stick long term. Again, they could have plenty other things cooking that has not yet been reported, but I'm not sure this is the best way to pin him with a suspension.
It's definitely a temporary fix, but it's the best thing for all involved right now. The League and Blank had to do SOMETHING or risk torch bearing PETA members (and tearful Congressmen) assaulting them on the streets.And Goodell came down hard on PacMan and the others -- somebody had to do something or else those decisions could have been called into question.This gives the NFL breathing room, the Falcons some leeway to try and move forward without Vick and Vick perhaps a break from the endless questions he would have rightfully faced at TC.

There's a lot of conclusions being drawn here which are erroneously in my opinion.

The Leave-Of-Absence could be a few days or a week or two. Goodell's letter states that the NFL wants to review the materials presented to see if there is a possible conduct violation; it does not even state that this is punitive, but rather precautionary in lieu of the investigation.

The "trial" or such is likely not to occur for a year or more according to earlier ESPN postings, and so this is likely to be short-term L-O-A, with either full reinstatement for Training Camp and the season, or suspension after the NFL finishes reviewing things on the short term.

After reading up on all this extensively the past week or so, if the NFL is hanging their hat on the Personal Conduct Policy to bail them out, I'm not sure that that is 100% going to get them where they want to go. The new policy seems to indicate that first time offenders can't be suspended for first time criminal violations. IMO, this is a temproary fix until they can figure out how best to keep Vick off the firld, because I'm not sure this one will stick long term. Again, they could have plenty other things cooking that has not yet been reported, but I'm not sure this is the best way to pin him with a suspension.
Now we have to parse terms in leagal-eaze.Suspension VS. LOA.Sounds like LOA is with full pay. I dunno if suspended players get full pay. Obviously this open up the league for litigation from the Vick party but one thing that people do not understand if that the NFL sells one product..... ..........They sell their fanbase to sponsors. That is the product of the NFL. Not the players or teams, the product of the NFL is their fans. This strengthens the product of the NFL so any potential fownfalls that occur are offset by the goodwill established with the fans. Slam dunk win for Goddell IMHO.

After reading up on all this extensively the past week or so, if the NFL is hanging their hat on the Personal Conduct Policy to bail them out, I'm not sure that that is 100% going to get them where they want to go. The new policy seems to indicate that first time offenders can't be suspended for first time criminal violations.

IMO, this is a temproary fix until they can figure out how best to keep Vick off the firld, because I'm not sure this one will stick long term. Again, they could have plenty other things cooking that has not yet been reported, but I'm not sure this is the best way to pin him with a suspension.
It's definitely a temporary fix, but it's the best thing for all involved right now. The League and Blank had to do SOMETHING or risk torch bearing PETA members (and tearful Congressmen) assaulting them on the streets.And Goodell came down hard on PacMan and the others -- somebody had to do something or else those decisions could have been called into question.

This gives the NFL breathing room, the Falcons some leeway to try and move forward without Vick and Vick perhaps a break from the endless questions he would have rightfully faced at TC.
Many people have wondered how PacMan could have been suspended without having been convicted of anything. But the league policy has has provisions more repeat offenders and grants the ability to suspend repeat offenders without due process. The policy states that first time offenders must be found guily or plead guilty to a criminal act before being suspended. As I interpret the new policy, Vick on paper should not be a candidate suspension BASED ON THAT SECTION OF THE NFL CONDUCT POLICIES.Now, there may be other broader provisions that are grounds for suspension and I suspect that hte league is exploring those and this is a temporary fix until they feel they have the legal grounds to cover them in other areas.

At this point I suspect that not many people would want Vick playing, so they need to come up with a way to keep him out and this will buy them more time.

Made an offer to a guy in my keeper league who has Vick and Culpepper as his kept QB's. His first pick in the draft is not until late 2nd round. We talked around when the indictment came out and he said he was not worried. :thumbup: Now maybe he will? He basically has NO shot of getting a starting QB by his draft pick so he has to make a move.

I made him an offer: McGahee and Eli for Steven Jackson and Vick. Seem fair? Would give me a great 1-2 punch at RB with Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson plus TO and Chad Johnson as my WR. I also have Ben Rothliesberger and LenDale White as my other keepers.

There's a lot of conclusions being drawn here which are erroneously in my opinion.The Leave-Of-Absence could be a few days or a week or two. Goodell's letter states that the NFL wants to review the materials presented to see if there is a possible conduct violation; it does not even state that this is punitive, but rather precautionary in lieu of the investigation.The "trial" or such is likely not to occur for a year or more according to earlier ESPN postings, and so this is likely to be short-term L-O-A, with either full reinstatement for Training Camp and the season, or suspension after the NFL finishes reviewing things on the short term.
Seriously doubt that. Think about the position the NFL would be in. They'd have to be an early arbiter of Vick's crime, something they definitely don't want to do simply because they have a fifty percent chance of boning themselves. This will last until the end of the trial.

It's definitely a temporary fix, but it's the best thing for all involved right now. The League and Blank had to do SOMETHING or risk torch bearing PETA members (and tearful Congressmen) assaulting them on the streets.And Goodell came down hard on PacMan and the others -- somebody had to do something or else those decisions could have been called into question.

This gives the NFL breathing room, the Falcons some leeway to try and move forward without Vick and Vick perhaps a break from the endless questions he would have rightfully faced at TC.
Many people have wondered how PacMan could have been suspended without having been convicted of anything. But the league policy has has provisions more repeat offenders and grants the ability to suspend repeat offenders without due process. The policy states that first time offenders must be found guily or plead guilty to a criminal act before being suspended. As I interpret the new policy, Vick on paper should not be a candidate suspension BASED ON THAT SECTION OF THE NFL CONDUCT POLICIES.Now, there may be other broader provisions that are grounds for suspension and I suspect that hte league is exploring those and this is a temporary fix until they feel they have the legal grounds to cover them in other areas.

At this point I suspect that not many people would want Vick playing, so they need to come up with a way to keep him out and this will buy them more time.
Right -- and except for the water bottle thing and the finger.... Vick hadn't done anything.Also, the first time offender thing - as I have said before - doesn't wash with me. One crime does not equal another - outside of this case, what if this was an indictment of a triple homicide? Should that first offense be held to the same standard as a first time DUI?

There are differences - they haven't been clearly spelled out, but they need to be. You can't swipe all first time offenses with the same brush - it just doesn't work.

It's why we have this half-measure now - and it buys everyone time to see what to do next.

I find it kinda funny all those saying that there own personal morals of not having thugs on their teams don't influence their drafting, but they biotch when said thug players get suspended ......... HELLO MCFLY you should have ####### KNOWN the chances !

Right -- and except for the water bottle thing and the finger.... Vick hadn't done anything.

Also, the first time offender thing - as I have said before - doesn't wash with me. One crime does not equal another - outside of this case, what if this was an indictment of a triple homicide? Should that first offense be held to the same standard as a first time DUI?

There are differences - they haven't been clearly spelled out, but they need to be. You can't swipe all first time offenses with the same brush - it just doesn't work.

It's why we have this half-measure now - and it buys everyone time to see what to do next.
You're right. By the terms spelled out in the conduct policy, Vick did not do anything CRIMINAL. He was not criminally charged and convicted of anything, so those incidents don't count.I'm thinking that the NFL is banking on Vick being charged for different things or different incidents, potentially then allowing them to consider him a repeat offender because they were for seperate incidents. Clearly I am not an attorney and have no legal opinion on what they can or cannot do, but IMO if they could have strung him up on the Personal COnduct Policy they would have done so already if it were as easy as some people think it is.

Users who are viewing this thread