What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[icon]'s whiskey flipping thread (3 Viewers)

Man, this thread has me craving some whiskey. Have stepped away from it recently in favor of beer. I prefer a glass of Makers with a single ice cube.

I have a bottle of Gentleman Jack in the freezer. I'm going to drink the entire thing today.

So I've got a sore throat today at work...a co-worker mentioned his home remedy of honey, lemon and whiskey (which I'd known about for awhile, but anyway....). I'd wandered through this thread a few times, and have previously thought I should become more knowledgeable about whiskey.

An hour and a half ago, I was perusing the bourbon and whiskey selections. Looked at the Eagle's Rare and Woodford because I remembered them from this thread. Ended up with a bottle of Bowmore, and am sipping a glass on the rocks right now.

It's...it's pretty good.

I'm a Jameson man, myself. I continually have a handle on hand. Will have to give Jameson 18 a shot next time I go.

I'm a Jameson man, myself. I continually have a handle on hand. Will have to give Jameson 18 a shot next time I go.
Probably close to 70% of the time I have a drink, I am drinking Jameson. Jameson 18 is awesome. You'll love it. I really try to limit myself or I'd go broke, so I go through a bottle every 6 months or so. Jameson 12 is also very good. And, I've gone extremely slow with the Jameson Gold I have that I also like, though I like it less than the 18. Another option to give you some variety is Red Breast.

Not heard of that either...and I guess as an easterner I know why.

Apparently the Stagg is only sold seasonly, briefly, in select places. Its about 140 proof (they actually write the proof to 1 decimal place on the label) and it still tastes like brown sugar

I personally would never pay that much for some tasty bourbon, but this stuff was ridiculously good
Yeah, Stagg is part of the annually-released Buffalo Trace Antique Collection along with four other varieties, including a 17 year old Eagle Rare. They retail for about $60 here in Michigan, which likely means they'll be cheaper in other parts of the country.http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2008/10/2...collection.html

The Stagg is noted for being too high-proof to be allowed on an airplane. :angry:

They are released in very limited quantities and don't tend to linger on shelves for long, so act fast if you want 'em.

I've got a few bottles of different varieties/years on hand but haven't cracked any just yet. Sticking with the Wild Turkey 101 and Elijah Craig 12 as my day-to-day drinkers.

Arright - not only is this Bowmore making my throat not sore, it's also making me a little less concerned about the lingering congestion.

Good stuff.

while crown is cool, the light mild flavor of CC (which some consider bland and call it "brown vodka" - but I digress) is really perfect for a nice mixed beverage.

CC and Coke Zero or CC and Sprite Zero are my drinks of choice when i'm just chillin' and not getting too serious about drinking.
DUDE...
seriously.. I know CC is probably like drinking Miller Lite in Whisky world, but at least i AM drinking, right?

I sipped a couple fingers of Eagle Rare straight up last night. Had a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Good times.

Do you guys let your kids take a sip of whiskey if they ask? My six year old saw me with the jameson and asked what it was. I told her whiskey and asked if she wanted to taste it. She said yeah. Took a sip and then started acting like I poisened her. She just drank a bunch of water and is complaining she can still taste it. Wife is not real pist but is not thrilled either. I have always felt you should let kids try a sip to take some mystery out of it. I am now thinking that is a policy meant for wine and beer.

Do you guys let your kids take a sip of whiskey if they ask? My six year old saw me with the jameson and asked what it was. I told her whiskey and asked if she wanted to taste it. She said yeah. Took a sip and then started acting like I poisened her. She just drank a bunch of water and is complaining she can still taste it. Wife is not real pist but is not thrilled either. I have always felt you should let kids try a sip to take some mystery out of it. I am now thinking that is a policy meant for wine and beer.
One New Years when I was 12 or so, my family were celebrating at a friends house. My fathers friend thought it would be funny to have me do a shoy of rye. He poured me the shot and told me I had to drink it all at once (I never found out if my Dad was in on this). I drank the shot and proceeded to run around as if I had been poisoned. My Dad ended up pouring me into the car. When we got home, I threw up all over the bathroom (oli boli chunks - forgive my spelling Dutch people). My mum had to clean it up and she kept making gagging noises as she did. Tee hee.

Hey gang,

I'm looking for a new house whiskey. Jim Beam is not all that good, and I'm sure there's something out there better at the price point. Any suggestions?

Maybe not for the purist, but Beam Red Stagg and Wild Turkey American Honey are tasty smooth shots. My bar has been flying through Red Stagg since I brought it in.

Maybe not for the purist, but Beam Red Stagg and Wild Turkey American Honey are tasty smooth shots. My bar has been flying through Red Stagg since I brought it in.
Thanks for the tips, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I need something to serve my idiot friends who insist on drinking a whiskey and coke or whiskey sour instead of just having it straight/water/rocks when they're over drinking. No point in wasting Bookers/Makers/JD Single Barrel/etc. on those guys.

Thanks for the tips, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I need something to serve my idiot friends who insist on drinking a whiskey and coke or whiskey sour instead of just having it straight/water/rocks when they're over drinking. No point in wasting Bookers/Makers/JD Single Barrel/etc. on those guys.
I wasn't trying to answer your question. Just throwing it out there. But, I'll take a crack at it now. I actually like Beam as a mixing whiskey. I imagine you aren't looking for the cheapest thing you can find. For stuff similarly priced to Beam:Old Grand DadEarly TimesEvan WilliamsCanadian Club

I wasn't trying to answer your question. Just throwing it out there. But, I'll take a crack at it now. I actually like Beam as a mixing whiskey. I imagine you aren't looking for the cheapest thing you can find. For stuff similarly priced to Beam:Old Grand DadEarly TimesEvan WilliamsCanadian Club
Thanks. And I'm not sure why I thought you were trying to answer my question. Distracted, I guess.

Kevin Garnett said:
Sebowski said:
You work at Winston's Sebowski?
No, but on my way there now.

Sebowski said:
bentley said:
Sebowski said:
Old Grand Dad
This is what I'd recommend. Pretty decent bourbon at the price point you're looking for---it's my go-to when I'm mixing.Blantons is my choice for drinking neat or on ice.

My top 5 in no order:

Four Roses Small Batch

Jefferson's Reserve

Eagle Rare Single Barrel

Elmer T Lee

Woodford Reserve

When Im gettin drunk, its Early Times all the wayWhen Im just tossin a few back, its either:Eagle RareWoodford ReserveKnob CreekBourbon does a body good!!
See...I'm glad this thread existed. About a year ago, I decided to follow this advice and buy a bottle of Eagle Rare. Nice, enjoyable drinking. I've consumed three more bottles since. For this weekend, I decided to get a bottle of Buffalo Trace on recommendation from a friend. Definitely a different taste, and not single-barrel, but I think I like it better. I come back in here, and what do I notice? Same poster recommending Buffalo Trace in a later post. Question: Is the step up to Booker's worth the price, or should I explore Woodford and a few others first?

Hey gang,I'm looking for a new house whiskey. Jim Beam is not all that good, and I'm sure there's something out there better at the price point. Any suggestions?
I like the house bourbon they sell at the liquor stores next to Costco. Texas something. Quite drinkable at 13.99 @ 1.75. THere are lots I like better, but they usually start at $25 a fifth

When Im gettin drunk, its Early Times all the wayWhen Im just tossin a few back, its either:Eagle RareWoodford ReserveKnob CreekBourbon does a body good!!
See...I'm glad this thread existed. About a year ago, I decided to follow this advice and buy a bottle of Eagle Rare. Nice, enjoyable drinking. I've consumed three more bottles since. For this weekend, I decided to get a bottle of Buffalo Trace on recommendation from a friend. Definitely a different taste, and not single-barrel, but I think I like it better. I come back in here, and what do I notice? Same poster recommending Buffalo Trace in a later post. Question: Is the step up to Booker's worth the price, or should I explore Woodford and a few others first?
Blanton's. Trust me.

Bought a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon to keep in the house in case we get snowed in...and then it started snowing, so I opened it. It's definitely different than the other two (Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace). More "grassy". So I did a little research, and I'm guessing it's because of the higher rye content. I don't like it as much as the other two, but it's still enjoyable.

Thus far:

1) Buffalo Trace

2) Eagle Rare

3) Bulleit

Planned order of purchase from here on out...Blanton's, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, and then Booker's.

Bought a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon to keep in the house in case we get snowed in...and then it started snowing, so I opened it. It's definitely different than the other two (Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace). More "grassy". So I did a little research, and I'm guessing it's because of the higher rye content. I don't like it as much as the other two, but it's still enjoyable.Thus far:1) Buffalo Trace2) Eagle Rare3) BulleitPlanned order of purchase from here on out...Blanton's, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, and then Booker's.
Keep this up. It's interesting. The stuff you're drinking here is right in my wheelhouse as far as price range goes, so I'm curious to see what you think about them.

Bought a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon to keep in the house in case we get snowed in...and then it started snowing, so I opened it. It's definitely different than the other two (Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace). More "grassy". So I did a little research, and I'm guessing it's because of the higher rye content. I don't like it as much as the other two, but it's still enjoyable.Thus far:1) Buffalo Trace2) Eagle Rare3) BulleitPlanned order of purchase from here on out...Blanton's, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, and then Booker's.
Keep this up. It's interesting. The stuff you're drinking here is right in my wheelhouse as far as price range goes, so I'm curious to see what you think about them.
I'm pretty certain any activity involving me drinking is a lock to continue.

Reaffirmed my love for Blanton's tonight. Definitely my favorite of the $50ish bottles. Basil Hayden has about twice the rye as the others..it's good, but it's going to be much different than the others. Although nobody's mentioned it, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit is excellent for under $50

GB Jack Daniels Single Barrel.
is this a lot better than standard black label?You and Icon have mentioned this.. but i cannot stand JD black label. any chance i'd like this?when it comes to bourbon.. i dig makers.
Gobs better. I didn't fully appreciate it until a few months ago. One night I was in a bar and got the mood for a glass of Jack Daniels for some reason. So I ordered it straight up. I barely choked it down. The next day I decided to break out an unopened bottle of Single Barrel for comparison's sake. It was a thousand times better.
:goodposting:Sipping Jack isn't a hobby of time. Rocks is tolerable but even then it's not my favorite. First time i had SBJack was at a wedding in New Orleans a few years back. Savored every last drop. Fantastic .

Gopher State said:
old crow, it do ya good :excited:
There is a new Old Crow out now! It is called "Old Crow Reserve" and it sounds fabulous!!Per Beam Global:
Old Crow Reserve is an 86 proof, four-year-old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. It’s set aside in the barrelhouse for a little bit longer than our original Old Crow® Bourbon - which is aged 3 years and bottled at 80 proof. The suggested retail price for Crow Reserve is only $10-$12. We’ve seen lots of growth within the Standard Bourbon segment and Old Crow will stand out as a great value brand.
:goodposting:

Lots of good recommendations in here. There is one I would like to the list. Alberta Premium. Its a 100% rye whisky. And as far as I know only available in Canada. If you ever get up north of the boarder I highly recommend it. It is very smooth. I get a few bottles every year in Ontario when I go fishing up there and bring them back to get me through the year.

Users who are viewing this thread