What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[icon]'s whiskey flipping thread (2 Viewers)

Did Maker's Mark Commit Brand Suicide?

For the last few days, the world of whiskey has been buzzing about the decision to cut the proof of Maker’s Mark bourbon from 90 proof to 84 proof. In an interview, the distillery’s chairman emeritus, Bill Samuels Jr., said that they had erred in their sales forecasts and diluting the bourbon was the best way to meet demand.

What Samuels is saying, in essence, is, “We’re selling all the bourbon we have, so to increase unit sales we’re going to water it down a little.”

Our customers won’t notice

It gets worse. Samuels goes on to say that Maker’s Mark customers won’t notice the difference. That may be a true statement for most customers, particularly those that drink their bourbon in cocktails. Indeed, Samuels says their professional tasters couldn’t tell the difference, though he didn’t elaborate on the tasting procedure. The problem with this is saying that the customers won’t notice.

Do you really want to go on the record as saying the palates of your customers are so unrefined that they can’t tell the difference when the whiskey is diluted? In reality, in blind taste tests most people probably can’t tell the difference between similar colas, beers, whiskeys, etc. Nevertheless, brands still strive to maximize their taste differentiation. Can you imagine Coke saying, “We could change our formula a little, or even put Pepsi in our cans, and not many of our customers would notice.”?

A Missed Opportunity

Maker’s Mark could have used their looming shortage as an opportunity to make their brand stronger. If they encountered sporadic shortages for a period of years, they could raise prices and leverage the scarcity to take the brand up a notch in prestige.

That’s exactly what Knob Creek, also part of Beam, Inc., did when they faced the same problem as Maker’s Mark a few years back. Did they water down their whiskey? Did they stop advertising (the product was sold out anyway) to boost profits? No – instead, they leveraged multiple psychological triggers by advertising the shortage (see Scarcity in Action).

First, they used scarcity – our brains prefer scarce things, even when they are identical to the same items in larger supply. Second, Knob Creek attributed the shortage to customer demand exceeding the limited supply, invoking social proof. And, in the process, they did some old-fashioned product pitching, saying, in effect, “Our product takes years of hard work to produce, and we’re not going to take any shortcuts.”

Maybe I’m not Maker’s Mark target market – even before this fiasco, I preferred Knob Creek (or Elijah Craig) – but it seems to me that Maker’s Mark took absolutely the wrong approach to their product shortage, and compounded that failure with terrible messaging.

What do you think – will this blow over in a week or two? Or has permanent damage been done to the brand? (And, for you bourbon enthusiasts, what’s your favorite?)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2013/02/14/makers-mark/
This was just a brilliant publicity stunt, right?

I know nothing about whiskey, I've always been a beer drinker with the basic vodka or gin mixed drink occasionally. I was given a bottle or this http://www.templetonrye.com/history/product/ for Christmas and looking for the best way to learn to enjoy whiskey.
You might need to work your way up to enjoying rye neat. Rye is the base of one of the great classic cocktails, the Manhattan. Of course, to make it right, you'd need bitters (angostura is fine) and a good quality sweet vermouth (Antica Carpana is the gold standard, but Vya or Dolin Rouge are nice choices that are fairly widely available). 3 parts rye to one part vermouth. A dash of bitters. Stir in a cocktail mixer with plenty of ice and strain into a martini or highball glass. A good brand of maraschino (not the nucleaur red option from your grocery) is a good garnish. Luxardo or maybe some regional cocktail cherry. Otherwise a lemon twist or even no garnish is fine.Rye is also excellent in an old fashioned.

Im a big fan of the scotch whisky. Never been a big fan of the corn whiskeys here. I have a bottle of Jim Beam Devils cut that I drank a shot of, and havnt touched the bottle again in two years. But these high end bourbons intrigue me, ie Blantons or Pappy. A couple questions1. How much ($$ wise) are these bourbons compared to say Jim Beam?2. How much better,smoother,tastier, are they than the cheaper bourbons?
You can't find Pappy right now in most stores. If you could, it'll set you back $125-250 depending on the year. Buddy of mine has an unopened 23-year and a friend of his offered him $1000 for the bottle. And he declined. Blanton's will set you back $55 or so.How much better tasting than Beam? IMO, it's not quantifiable. Bourbons like Pappy, Larue Weller, Stagg, Blantons...they're unique. Just on a different plane altogether. So much smoother, tastes like caramel, toffee, cinnamon, etc, depending in the oak barrels, techniques, age, and other factors.I'll have beam or jack as a mixer with coke, but it's a totally different experience than a top shelf bourbon neat.
I've seen Pappy in several stores here in DC. In truth, I only really see shortages in August and September, when they're gearing up for the next bottling.

I guess it's true about good news traveling much slower than bad news.It's not getting the buzz of the original decision, but Maker's Mark, shockingly, has reversed their decision and will stay at 90 proof.It's great to see them do the right thing. Although, I'd bet they planned it this way from the beginning. They get the shortage publicity, but squeezed out a some "we listen to our customers" goodwill before that. The Press Release: You spoke. We listened. Dear Friends, Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision. You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down. So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning. The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we’ll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery. Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special. We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product. As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us. Sincerely, Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus rob@makersmark.com bill@makersmark.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's true about good news traveling much slower than bad news.It's not getting the buzz of the original decision, but Maker's Mark, shockingly, has reversed their decision and will stay at 90 proof.It's great to see them do the right thing. Although, I'd bet they planned it this way from the beginning. They get the shortage publicity, but squeezed out a some "we listen to our customers" goodwill before that. The Press Release: You spoke. We listened. Dear Friends, Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision. You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down. So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning. The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we’ll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery. Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special. We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product. As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us. Sincerely, Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus rob@makersmark.com bill@makersmark.com
So people will still get drunk 2% quicker than 84 proof now. Awesome news. :thumbup:

Not much of a liquor drinker, but I do enjoy a bourbon with an ice cube every once and awhile. I am surprised to see so little talk about Elmer Lee. For the price, that's some good stuff. I will have to try this Eagle Rare.

Wow. Such a dumb decision to begin with. But, a good redirect.

Im a big fan of the scotch whisky. Never been a big fan of the corn whiskeys here. I have a bottle of Jim Beam Devils cut that I drank a shot of, and havnt touched the bottle again in two years. But these high end bourbons intrigue me, ie Blantons or Pappy. A couple questions1. How much ($$ wise) are these bourbons compared to say Jim Beam?2. How much better,smoother,tastier, are they than the cheaper bourbons?
You can't find Pappy right now in most stores. If you could, it'll set you back $125-250 depending on the year. Buddy of mine has an unopened 23-year and a friend of his offered him $1000 for the bottle. And he declined. Blanton's will set you back $55 or so.How much better tasting than Beam? IMO, it's not quantifiable. Bourbons like Pappy, Larue Weller, Stagg, Blantons...they're unique. Just on a different plane altogether. So much smoother, tastes like caramel, toffee, cinnamon, etc, depending in the oak barrels, techniques, age, and other factors.I'll have beam or jack as a mixer with coke, but it's a totally different experience than a top shelf bourbon neat.
I've seen Pappy in several stores here in DC. In truth, I only really see shortages in August and September, when they're gearing up for the next bottling.
I'll pay you $100 + shipping to pick up a bottle and send it my way. I'm not kidding. Shoot me a PM. :banned:

I'm in a lottery right now hoping my name will be drawn that gives me the opportunity to buy a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year for $80, 20 year for $130, or 23 year for $250. They also have drawings for the standard Van Winkle 10, 12, and Rye 13 years, as well as LaRue and EH Taylor rye. All are virtually impossible to find on a shelf in FL.

Got my hands on a bottle of 12 year Pappy. So delicious.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't have a 12 year Pappy. The "Pappy" family reserve vintages are 15, 20, and 23 year. Is this an older bottle or something, or is it the 12 year Van Winkle special reserve?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't have a 12 year Pappy. The "Pappy" family reserve vintages are 15, 20, and 23 year. Is this an older bottle or something, or is it the 12 year Van Winkle special reserve?
Yeah, their 12 year Special Reserve is phenomenal. Award winning, in fact. I wouldn't take it over the 23 year, but I might prefer it over the 15.

Yeah, their 12 year Special Reserve is phenomenal. Award winning, in fact. I wouldn't take it over the 23 year, but I might prefer it over the 15.
Good to know. I actually know a place I can get the 12 year regularly. The Pappys are much harder to obtain.

'cobalt_27 said:
'pollardsvision said:
If the word the correction gets out as well as the original story, then it actually may end up being a good marketing move.

'cobalt_27 said:
'pollardsvision said:
If the word the correction gets out as well as the original story, then it actually may end up being a good marketing move.
Yeah, I'd think there's a good chance they planned it this way.There were going to get the scarcity/shortage publicity that would help increase demand anyway.Throw out an announcement about lowering proof to meet demand and you get people saying and thinking "We love Maker's Mark just the way it is".Then they get the good PR from listening to their customers.Great move.The thing that makes it seem less likely was the comment that tasters couldn't tell the difference with the lower proof, but that was probably a blunder that could've happened either way.That, and they are owned by Beam, who certainly wouldn't be opposed to dropping proof in a bourbon (though, to their credit, they've done right by the Old Grand-Dad brand, for the most part).On another note, I tried MM last night again for the first time in a long time, and I've got to say it's much worse than I remember. I remember liking many other bourbons better, but I think I'd put it on my extremely tiny list of bourbons/whiskeys that I'd just rather not drink. The only other member of that list is Jack No. 7 and every cheap scotch I've tried.And this is coming from someone who drinks almost exclusively sub-$30 whiskeys, and I love a few $13-18 bourbons.

...Old Grandad 114.I'm...pleasantly surprised.
:goodposting: I think that might be the best value in bourbon. I like the Bottled-in-Bond and the 114 both very much. Love the orangy flavor and rye punch of both. I like Turkey a little better than both, but the OGD's are very close and a little better value.

Yeah sorry I didn't respond. I was in court most of the week. I've confirmed that the guys I use have the Pappy 20. The old Rip Van Winkle 12 is still great.

Been drinking a lot of Angels Envy of late, very good for under $50.00 a bottle.
I went to pick some up, and evidentally it's not sold in NC yet. Boooooo :thumbdown: I haven't tried Eagle Rare yet, so I bought some of that.
Working my way through a bottle of Angels Envy. Good bourbon taste with no burn. It is odd to combine flavor with little or no bite. I often prefer liquor that retains a some of that bite but I didn't mind it in Angels Envy. If you are the type that really likes Four Roses Single Barrel or Wild Turkey Rare Breed, you will probably find something missing in Angels Envy.

Just finished a bottle of Welliver and Johnny Drum. Both tastey.

Whiskey season has begun for me (don't drink as much of it when it's hot).

Not sure why it took so long, but I finally got around to picking up a bottle of Bulleit Rye. The rye selection around here is severely limited (no Ritt, Templeton, Redemption, or Saz), and I need to find a nice value rye since Wild Turkey killed the Rye 101.

Bulleit Rye is nice. Minty with a nice spice to it. I'll certainly buy it again, but I much prefer(red) the Turkey Rye.

I need to try Dickel Rye (think it has to be special ordered here). Anybody had that? I love the Dickel 12.

I'm in a lottery right now hoping my name will be drawn that gives me the opportunity to buy a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year for $80, 20 year for $130, or 23 year for $250. They also have drawings for the standard Van Winkle 10, 12, and Rye 13 years, as well as LaRue and EH Taylor rye. All are virtually impossible to find on a shelf in FL.
Update : I got ****. Never called my name. Screw them, if they don't want my money, then fine.

Not sure why it took so long, but I finally got around to picking up a bottle of Bulleit Rye. The rye selection around here is severely limited (no Ritt, Templeton, Redemption, or Saz), and I need to find a nice value rye since Wild Turkey killed the Rye 101.

Bulleit Rye is nice. Minty with a nice spice to it. I'll certainly buy it again, but I much prefer(red) the Turkey Rye.

I need to try Dickel Rye (think it has to be special ordered here). Anybody had that? I love the Dickel 12.
I've found that both Bulleit Rye and Russel's Reserve Rye make a dandy Manhattan. Fave continues to be with Rittenhouse Rye, but can't find it hardly anywhere. Anyone know a supplier?

I've found that both Bulleit Rye and Russel's Reserve Rye make a dandy Manhattan. Fave continues to be with Rittenhouse Rye, but can't find it hardly anywhere. Anyone know a supplier?
I'd love for RIttenhouse to be available here. No idea what the distribution's like. Definitely not in VA though. I haven't looked into online suppliers, but you might try there. No idea who can ship what to where.

Binny's won't ship to a number of states, including both MD and VA.

I might give Russell's a shot. Though it also has to be special ordered around here and I don't spend $40 on a bottle very often (just too much fantastic stuff under $30). Plus I don't want to reward Turkey for that bull#### with WTR101 buying their premium rye after they discontinued a wonderful $24 rye.

I'll order some Dickel 1st. As far as I can tell, it's likely the same stuff as Bulleit, Templeton, and Redemption. LDI (now Midwest Grain Products) makes a 95% rye that those and a handful of other brands market. Basically, anybody selling a 95% rye whiskey almost certainly just bought it from LDI.

Dickel does a sugar maple filtering, but I'd assume all those taste pretty much the same.

You have trouble finding Rittenhouse? It and Old Overholt are kind of the standard bargain ryes for Manhattans. Both are plentiful in DC.

Weirdly, I think Bulleit Bourbon has a bit more rye character than their rye (Knob Creek makes a similar more bourbon like rye that is pretty good if that's your style). You might want to look for Jefferson 10 Year in the same general price point as Bulleit.

Ugh. The local ABC says they can't even special order the Dickel Rye. Which means Bulleit is literally the only Rye under that $35-40 price point that isn't an 80-proof monstrosity (Overholt, Beam, the 81 WTR that I refuse to try). Stupid control state.

Speaking of the rye shortage, has anyone seen Wild Turkey's new "Forgiven" on shelves yet?

Pretty smart way to handle the shortage and go after a $50 price tag at the same time. A bourbon/rye blend. It's 78% 6 YO bourbon and 22% 4 YO rye. 91 proof.

I bet it's very good, but it also sounds like they probably just took a couple of wonderful $24 101-proof whiskeys (WT101, WTR101), pulled the Rye a little early (I think it was closer to 6 years old when they still sold it), and then watered them down to 91 proof.

Smart, but I won't pay $50 for it.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/bourbon/review-wild-turkey-forgiven/

Do you guys ever transfer your stuff to a decanter? Does that impact the flavor or life at all?
I don't do it myself, but I think people generally do it when bottles get low (down below 25%) so the bottled whisky is exposed to less air in the bottle.

Apparently, that weakens the flavor over time.

Never done it myself though.

Do you guys ever transfer your stuff to a decanter? Does that impact the flavor or life at all?
I do it with handles, which do not always fit in my liquor cabinet... I do it more with gin than with bourbon though as I tend to drink the bourbon fast enough that I don't like going in to the cellar to refill the decanter ;)

I don't do it myself, but I think people generally do it when bottles get low (down below 25%) so the bottled whisky is exposed to less air in the bottle.

Apparently, that weakens the flavor over time.

Never done it myself though.
Not a problem in this house
Yeah, it's not normally a problem I run into either. Just finishing off the bottle is a perfectly fine solution to me. Though, I do primarily only drink sub-$30 whiskey, so I don't generally have whiskey that I plan on "saving for a special occasion".

I got a decanter last year for my wedding and drunkenly bumped it into a shelf or something and the thing exploded into a million pieces. Neat.

Users who are viewing this thread