What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Warhawk for PS3 thread (1 Viewer)

Drifter

Footballguy
I was able to get my hands on an advance copy of Warhawk for the PS3 thanks to DPRugby. Logged on last night and got in a game with DP. It was just 1on1 but it gave me a chance to get familiar with the controls, gameplay, etc.

First impressions:

Graphics are pretty cool. I've been playing a lot of Resistance: Fall of Man so they are a bit "cartoonish" in comparison to the very real setting of Resistance. Not bad, but different.

The planes (Warhawks) are pretty cool but difficult to fly against another one. You can choose to fly using the left analog stick or by tilting the sixaxis controller. The latter is kind of difficult, but might be the better choice with experience. I'll need to fool around more with it. Dogfighting is very difficult. I kept getting disoriented or had problems making small enough adjustments to target anything. Also, there are a ton of weapon power ups available. I would go so far as to say there are too many. It made it hard to choose the proper one to use on the fly.

Ground combat is good. Again, comparing it the ultra-realistic physics of resistance, it's quite a bit different. Targeting is much more automatic (once you get an enemy in the reticle and start firing, it stays locked on). It seemed that ammo runs out too quickly in a battle. Again, comparing to Resistance, I'm used to being able to kill at least 1, sometimes 2, enemies with a single clip. Usual assortment of default pistols, assault rifles, rocket launchers, flame throwers and sniper rifles. Sniper rifle seemed a bit too powerful. At one point I took down DP in his Warhawk with 3 or 4 shots off the sniper rifle.

Lots of jeeps and tanks to jump into, as well as machine gun nests, flak canons and missile batteries. The tank is okay, but you need 2 people in it to operate both the main cannon and the machine gun.

The biggest problem I had was with the radar. I couldn't seem to find the enemy (given there was only 1 in the game DP and I were playing) before I was getting killed. He didn't seem to have any problems locating me.

I can't wait to play this with a large group of people, with planes whizzing around, people shooting everywhere, etc. Should be good fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get my hands on an advance copy of Warhawk for the PS3 thanks to DPRugby. Logged on last night and got in a game with DP. It was just 1on1 but it gave me a chance to get familiar with the controls, gameplay, etc.First impressions:Graphics are pretty cool. I've been playing a lot of Resistance: Fall of Man so they are a bit "cartoonish" in comparison to the very real setting of Resistance. Not bad, but different.The planes (Warhawks) are pretty cool but difficult to fly against another one. You can choose to fly using the left analog stick or by tilting the sixaxis controller. The latter is kind of difficult, but might be the better choice with experience. I'll need to fool around more with it. Dogfighting is very difficult. I kept getting disoriented or had problems making small enough adjustments to target anything. Also, there are a ton of weapon power ups available. I would go so far as to say there are too many. It made it hard to choose the proper one to use on the fly.Ground combat is good. Again, comparing it the ultra-realistic physics of resistance, it's quite a bit different. Targeting is much more automatic (once you get an enemy in the reticle and start firing, it stays locked on). It seemed that ammo runs out too quickly in a battle. Again, comparing to Resistance, I'm used to being able to kill at least 1, sometimes 2, enemies with a single clip. Usual assortment of default pistols, assault rifles, rocket launchers, flame throwers and sniper rifles. Sniper rifle seemed a bit too powerful. At one point I took down DP in his Warhawk with 3 or 4 shots off the sniper rifle.Lots of jeeps and tanks to jump into, as well as machine gun nests, flak canons and missile batteries. The tank is okay, but you need 2 people in it to operate both the main cannon and the machine gun.The biggest problem I had was with the radar. I couldn't seem to find the enemy (given there was only 1 in the game DP and I were playing) before I was getting killed. He didn't seem to have any problems locating me.I can't wait to play this with a large group of people, with planes whizzing around, people shooting everywhere, etc. Should be good fun.
I’ve been playing Warhawk since Beta and I agree with pretty much 100% of what you posted. Here are a few comments on your thoughts…The graphics are certainly much more cartoonish and the controls and physics much simpler than Resistance:FOM but I chalk that up to making the game evenly playable no matter what you are trying to do (fly, use a jeep, tank etc.).I think ultimately what makes this game fun to play is the easy nature of logging into a game and getting right into the killing.Flying the Warhawks is difficult, but for the people that get the hang of it, it's the most versitile weapon on the map and the different power ups let the pilot work in alot of different situations. For the record, the motion control flying is slow to react, joysticks are the way to go.Some of those power ups include:Standard Air-Air homing missles: Same as the 5 default ones you start with. Can be fired at the ground but won't lock onto a ground target.Chaff: will defeat any missle that's locked on to your craft.Heat seaking missle: locks on air to ground and air to air targets, chaff doesn't break lock but manuvering will.Tow Missle: Fire this missle then "drive/fly it" into the target. The screen for this is pretty blurry so you better practice with this one before trying this in game. Also, using it means your craft sits still or fly's straight until your missle hits something. This is how Drifter sniped my plane with 4 shots. I had one kill in the 4 time I tried this weapon. The three other times I couldn't even come close to driving this into anything but a hillside.Electron Gun: Shoots bolts of electricity, pretty weak weapon.Air Mines: Drop these bad boys behind you if you're being chased or drop them above a parked Warhawk and wait for the other guy to get in that plane and fly into the mine. 1 mine = 1 kill if it goes off.Drifter, one of the things with the radar is that you have to kind of be facing in the general direction of the enemy to have a radar locator triangle pop onto your screen. If the enemy is within your small radar screen he's appear as a colored dot (red/blue depending on the side he's on). I spawned right across that valley on a number of occasions and simply looked though the sniper scope to find you (no radar needed) which is why it probably seemed like you were killed by a ghost. I agree about the ammo thing btw, I get a guy down to 10% life then die as I'm reloading my pistol. One of the tricks is to use the assault rifle and once you've locked on just fire and let the machine keep you aimed in the right direction. Some weapons are great for in close (flamethower, knife) and others are better for being farther away (rocket launcher, sniper rifle, binoculors). BTW: Those binos call in a very potent airstrike, so practice with them. A trick I liked to do was get full bino ammo (4 shots) then fly a Warhawk up to the edge of a mountain overlooking the bad guys base. I hope out near the edge and the plane falls to the bottom of the hill leaving me in a mountain top sniping position. Then I would alternate between the sniper rifle and the binos and wreak havoc for a good 2-3 minutes before folks would start shelling the hill I was on. The bino's mark a spot (you have to mark the spot by keeping it in one place for about 5 seconds before the blast comes), and the blast will take out alot of things in it's blast radius. It's really one of the funner weapons in the game for me.Anyway, this game is one of those ones that most any player can have fun with even if you're not a quick twitch FPS master. It's easy to pick up and with alot of people it really gets fun. If you like any of the Battlefield games you'll like this.:thumbup:PS: Drifter - easy way to practice is to start a 2 player split screen game offline. Then you can work out how to shoot each weapon, or start a regular game, with 1 minimum player and lock it with a PW no one will guess. Then blow the crap out of the jeeps and tanks etc.

How the hell did you guys get this early? This was one of the games I have been waitiing for but am tight on cash and will have to wait longer. :rant: Plus there's so many other good games that are coming out.

How the hell did you guys get this early? This was one of the games I have been waitiing for but am tight on cash and will have to wait longer. :lmao: Plus there's so many other good games that are coming out.
I got a couple of advanced copies (benifits of my job) and I sent one to Drifter. If you don't care about the headset download the game on Tuesday the 28th and it's only $39 bucks or something like that on Playstation Network.

yeah I knew it was going to be a downloadable game, but like I said tight on cash. You guys should post you gamertags and am really surprised to actually see a PS thread being that the majority of ppl here atleast a couple of months ago(havent been hanging around here after that) where bashing ps3 and bias opinions. So what exactly do you do, work for sony or something. Hopefully I can scrape some of my old ####(games) and trade in or something. Thanks for the input guys.

There is a PS3 owner thread with gamertages posted.

Been playing a bit today. That Baylor server seems to be fairly active. I hate when all the experienced guys end up on 1 side. I'm pretty decent on the ground but I suck in the air. I keep getting owned badly. It doesn't help when there's 2 or 3 on the other team that are good and your team is clueless. You just dont' stand a chance 2 on 1 in the air.

FYI - For you Canucks our there (or those of you who live close enough to cross the border), the Box with headset is available from Blockbuster Canada for $40 CDN

Can I download tomorrow and get the headset later? I've never played online before and I think my wife might leave me if I start! :goodposting:

derek19 said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Can I download tomorrow and get the headset later? I've never played online before and I think my wife might leave me if I start! :unsure:
Just a quick question, do you have a bluetooth headset for your cell phone?
I don't knopw how big the game is, if you have one of the 20gb PS3s you may not have enough memory but seriously, you can swap the HD in an hour, just google upgrading a ps3 hd.I use my old usb headset but any bluetooth cell phone headset will work.

DL is ~800Mb from what I'm hearing.

Pretty cool last night -at around 12:30 Eastern the servers started filling up. Thanks to having a few days headstart, I was the best player in every game. Taught a few people some basic strategy (the ones who would listen).

Teams that communicate are going to absolutely whoop teams that are chaotic.

I also discovered a couple of very important things for flying the Warbirds. Checking the box for "Pro" flight is mandatory to be any good at dogfighting. Without pro flight, your horizon always stays the same. Any rolls, loops, etc completely 100%. When you go to pro flight, you can flight upside down, sideways, etc and the horizon moves with your POV. Makes for faster turning and more maneuverability when in a dogfight.

Also, I just found out that the longer you hold your lock on an enemy with swarm missiles, the more missiles are fired. I did not know that previously. I'd release the missiles as soon as I obtained a lock and it would just fire once. Hitting the enemy with 3-4 missiles is much more effective than just one.

Drifter said:
DL is ~800Mb from what I'm hearing.Pretty cool last night -at around 12:30 Eastern the servers started filling up. Thanks to having a few days headstart, I was the best player in every game. Taught a few people some basic strategy (the ones who would listen).Teams that communicate are going to absolutely whoop teams that are chaotic.I also discovered a couple of very important things for flying the Warbirds. Checking the box for "Pro" flight is mandatory to be any good at dogfighting. Without pro flight, your horizon always stays the same. Any rolls, loops, etc completely 100%. When you go to pro flight, you can flight upside down, sideways, etc and the horizon moves with your POV. Makes for faster turning and more maneuverability when in a dogfight. Also, I just found out that the longer you hold your lock on an enemy with swarm missiles, the more missiles are fired. I did not know that previously. I'd release the missiles as soon as I obtained a lock and it would just fire once. Hitting the enemy with 3-4 missiles is much more effective than just one.
Thanks for the info and tips. I have the 60gb hdd so I know I'll have enough space. I was just trying to figure out how long it will take to download the game.Thanks again..

I'm thinking about getting Warhawk, thanks for the review. I'll have to do a search for the PS3 thread, I play RFOM everyday for a couple of hours except weekends usually. We should get an FBG party going.

I'm thinking about getting Warhawk, thanks for the review. I'll have to do a search for the PS3 thread, I play RFOM everyday for a couple of hours except weekends usually. We should get an FBG party going.
I was playing Resistance a lot. What's your user name?

BTW - I set up a clan currently bristling with zero members (I figured I'd take advantage of having the game early to take what I thought might be a popular clan name. The clan is Birds of Prey - current abbreviation is BoP but I'd be happy to change it to FBG if we want to make that the FBG clan.

BTW - I set up a clan currently bristling with zero members (I figured I'd take advantage of having the game early to take what I thought might be a popular clan name. The clan is Birds of Prey - current abbreviation is BoP but I'd be happy to change it to FBG if we want to make that the FBG clan.
Do we create another name to play online or do we play with our psn name?

Do we create another name to play online or do we play with our psn name?
You play with your psn name

Just finished playing Warhawk. WOW. The controls will take some time to get used to but overall, the game is addicting as hell. Played for an hour and half. Got smoked both times basically but I started to get the hang of it towards the end.

I'd recommend this game for sure...

Just finished playing Warhawk. WOW. The controls will take some time to get used to but overall, the game is addicting as hell. Played for an hour and half. Got smoked both times basically but I started to get the hang of it towards the end.I'd recommend this game for sure...
I'll be on tonight if you want to look me up.

I did manage to play a bit yesterday afternoon in a 16 on 16 Capture the flag. At one point I was in the back of a jeep, manning the turret, another jeep with two people was alongside use and we passed one of our tanks on a bridge heading to the enemy base while a couple warhawks gave us air support. The visual was a very cool game moment.

How do you know if you are playing a ranked game or not?Whats your PSN?
All the SCEA games are ranked. Look for the trophy symbol on the left. If it's crossed out, it's not ranked.driftinj
Sorry to keep asking questions but I can't look it up online at work :thumbup:I noticed some games were highlighted blue, do you know why?
The blue games are SCEA hosted games. The white ones are user PS3 hosted.

Jsuxt incase nobody knew about this, is that if you buy the downloadable version you can only use it under that account and no other, so I would recoomend buying the retail version, but if you have already bought the DL version on PSN here's the link for the manual

http://www.us.playstation.com/Warhaw...awk_manual.pdf

I will bet getting this soon
I'm the only one that plays PS3 where I live so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the link....

Jsuxt incase nobody knew about this, is that if you buy the downloadable version you can only use it under that account and no other, so I would recoomend buying the retail version, but if you have already bought the DL version on PSN here's the link for the manual

I'm the only one that plays PS3 where I live so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the link....
Just downloaded the game and played for about 20 minutes. Looked pretty cool but I had no idea what I was doing. Shot somebody- hope he was on the other team! No tutorial for this thing?

Just downloaded the game and played for about 20 minutes. Looked pretty cool but I had no idea what I was doing. Shot somebody- hope he was on the other team! No tutorial for this thing?
Nope. With your team, you'll be able to see their name in the same color as your team above their head. The enemy will show up as the opposite color, but only when you target them - at which time the reticle will also turn red. If you see a person without a name above their head, it's the enemy.

PS: Drifter - easy way to practice is to start a 2 player split screen game offline. Then you can work out how to shoot each weapon, or start a regular game, with 1 minimum player and lock it with a PW no one will guess. Then blow the crap out of the jeeps and tanks etc.
Just to make sure I understand how to do this. You go to local game, create a game and put a PW and then I'll be able to just practice flying and everything else?

PS: Drifter - easy way to practice is to start a 2 player split screen game offline. Then you can work out how to shoot each weapon, or start a regular game, with 1 minimum player and lock it with a PW no one will guess. Then blow the crap out of the jeeps and tanks etc.
Just to make sure I understand how to do this. You go to local game, create a game and put a PW and then I'll be able to just practice flying and everything else?
Actually, for a local game, it won't even let you put in a password - no need since it doesn't connect online.Practice is good for learning how to fly, learning the maps and playing with the weapons but it's actually playing where you'll learn things. That's why you need to accept the buddy invite I sent you and we can set up a small game online.

Gonna be back from my week long business trip tomorrow. Drifter, I'll find and join that clan and hopefully see you on. Nice tip on the pro flight, I wonder if that is why I get my ### kicked every time I get into a Warhawk.

:yawn:

FYI - Have my first FF draft tonight and will be out of town until Sunday so wont' be on until Sunday afternoon/evening at the earliest.

DPRugby said:
Gonna be back from my week long business trip tomorrow. Drifter, I'll find and join that clan and hopefully see you on. Nice tip on the pro flight, I wonder if that is why I get my ### kicked every time I get into a Warhawk. :popcorn:
whats your PSN?

Drifter said:
derek19 said:
Actually, for a local game, it won't even let you put in a password - no need since it doesn't connect online.Practice is good for learning how to fly, learning the maps and playing with the weapons but it's actually playing where you'll learn things. That's why you need to accept the buddy invite I sent you and we can set up a small game online.
I didn't play last night. I'll probably accept it tomorrow. Gotta watch the 49ers whip some charger ### tonight!! :pigskin:

I don't think I saw anyone one playing tonight, this was the only day I could play just FYI (cuz work graveyard) and spend time with kids and wife on sat and sunday, but if I get some time during the week add me to your friend list PSN ID Noamos

Played quite a bit last night. I find I'm usually one of the top few players (not always). I've definitely noticed that when I'm on a side that consistently wins, there's a lot of communication going on and when I'm on a team that consistently loses, it's dead silent.

Communication is definitely key. I also think there's some basic strategies that a group could put in play to dominate.

Played quite a bit last night. I find I'm usually one of the top few players (not always). I've definitely noticed that when I'm on a side that consistently wins, there's a lot of communication going on and when I'm on a team that consistently loses, it's dead silent.Communication is definitely key. I also think there's some basic strategies that a group could put in play to dominate.
I always seem to be on the losing team and there is no communication at all. Plus, everyone on the team sucks ###. I seemed to be getting better and better but still get my ### kicked when I try to fly. Also, I have trouble getting into games as well. I'll try to get into a game and it will say its full but its not. Don't know if anyone else has that problem...

derek19 said:
Drifter said:
Played quite a bit last night. I find I'm usually one of the top few players (not always). I've definitely noticed that when I'm on a side that consistently wins, there's a lot of communication going on and when I'm on a team that consistently loses, it's dead silent.Communication is definitely key. I also think there's some basic strategies that a group could put in play to dominate.
I always seem to be on the losing team and there is no communication at all. Plus, everyone on the team sucks ###. I seemed to be getting better and better but still get my ### kicked when I try to fly. Also, I have trouble getting into games as well. I'll try to get into a game and it will say its full but its not. Don't know if anyone else has that problem...
Others have been having that issue. Set your filter to "my rank" and this supposedly solves it. Also, hit triangle before joining a game to refresh game you are looking at to make sure it hasn't filled since you loaded the server list.That brings up my biggest complaint about the game. For an online only game, the lobby and communication system is awful. No ability to set up parties is just the start. There's no ingame access to the PS3 messaging system; the filter is inadequate (you can't even filter for ranked/unranked); unless someone is on your screen, you can't tell who is talking - so if you get some idiot kid like I did the other night, who incessantly meows into the mike for 30 minutes, you can't mute him unless you actually see his avatar and figure out it is him speaking; no ability to report people like the above moron; no squad enabled communication for working in smaller teams; 1/3 of the people with mikes sound completely garbled.Really just a piss poor job by the developers. If you're going to develop an online game, take some cues from other successful games and fully develop the features that make online play successful. I still like the game, but I'm disapointed that it seems they completely ignored that portion of development.As for flying - find a dogfight server and spend a few games there. That will sharpen you up. I'd still rather be on the ground, but I'm at least decent in a warhawk now.

Others have been having that issue. Set your filter to "my rank" and this supposedly solves it. Also, hit triangle before joining a game to refresh game you are looking at to make sure it hasn't filled since you loaded the server list.That brings up my biggest complaint about the game. For an online only game, the lobby and communication system is awful. No ability to set up parties is just the start. There's no ingame access to the PS3 messaging system; the filter is inadequate (you can't even filter for ranked/unranked); unless someone is on your screen, you can't tell who is talking - so if you get some idiot kid like I did the other night, who incessantly meows into the mike for 30 minutes, you can't mute him unless you actually see his avatar and figure out it is him speaking; no ability to report people like the above moron; no squad enabled communication for working in smaller teams; 1/3 of the people with mikes sound completely garbled.Really just a piss poor job by the developers. If you're going to develop an online game, take some cues from other successful games and fully develop the features that make online play successful. I still like the game, but I'm disapointed that it seems they completely ignored that portion of development.As for flying - find a dogfight server and spend a few games there. That will sharpen you up. I'd still rather be on the ground, but I'm at least decent in a warhawk now.
I believe if you hit the start button, it will show you who's on each team plus who's talking into their headset. Are you going to be on tonight?

I believe if you hit the start button, it will show you who's on each team plus who's talking into their headset. Are you going to be on tonight?
You can go in through start and see individual players and mute them, but I don't hink it indicates who is talking at that moment.I'd like to be on tonight. We'll see how amenable the wife is. I should at least be on 11 eastern to 12 eastern if not earlier.I'd really like a bailout feature on the warhawk. Not much health, someone locks on to you, you just hit eject. You still might get killed on the parachute down but at least you've got a chance.

Drifter said:
derek19 said:
You can go in through start and see individual players and mute them, but I don't hink it indicates who is talking at that moment.I'd like to be on tonight. We'll see how amenable the wife is. I should at least be on 11 eastern to 12 eastern if not earlier.I'd really like a bailout feature on the warhawk. Not much health, someone locks on to you, you just hit eject. You still might get killed on the parachute down but at least you've got a chance.
I'm not sure when I'll be on tonight. Send me a message if I'm on when you sign on..

Played quite a bit last night. I find I'm usually one of the top few players (not always). I've definitely noticed that when I'm on a side that consistently wins, there's a lot of communication going on and when I'm on a team that consistently loses, it's dead silent.

Communication is definitely key. I also think there's some basic strategies that a group could put in play to dominate.
Others have been having that issue. Set your filter to "my rank" and this supposedly solves it. Also, hit triangle before joining a game to refresh game you are looking at to make sure it hasn't filled since you loaded the server list.That brings up my biggest complaint about the game. For an online only game, the lobby and communication system is awful. No ability to set up parties is just the start. There's no ingame access to the PS3 messaging system; the filter is inadequate (you can't even filter for ranked/unranked); unless someone is on your screen, you can't tell who is talking - so if you get some idiot kid like I did the other night, who incessantly meows into the mike for 30 minutes, you can't mute him unless you actually see his avatar and figure out it is him speaking; no ability to report people like the above moron; no squad enabled communication for working in smaller teams; 1/3 of the people with mikes sound completely garbled.

Really just a piss poor job by the developers. If you're going to develop an online game, take some cues from other successful games and fully develop the features that make online play successful. I still like the game, but I'm disapointed that it seems they completely ignored that portion of development.

As for flying - find a dogfight server and spend a few games there. That will sharpen you up. I'd still rather be on the ground, but I'm at least decent in a warhawk now.
For such a fun playable game they really screwed the pooch on this. It's one of the weak points of Sony and they know it and totaly failed to address it. To bad you weren't in the beta, your criticisms would have been welcome and maybe they would have fixed some of this.PS: I'll be on tonight also, I'll look for you both.

Users who are viewing this thread