Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Need opinions on cutdowns, due Thursday...

I am in a 10 team salary cap Dynasty with IDP and 40 man roster with 6 practice spots (rookies or 2nd year players) and unlimited suspended/IR players. Both Practice squad and suspended/IR players count against the cap. Salary goes up $2 every year and currently caps at $460. Best lineup starters are: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3DL/4LB/4DB. Scoring is a total points league and breaks down like this: 1/10 rushing yard, 1/10 receiving, 1/30 passing, -5 lost fumble, -5 interception, 10 TD (offense or defense), 1 tackle (solo or asst), 5 forced fumble, 5 fumble recovery, 5 sack, 5 interception, 1/10 interception return yds, 1/10 sack loss yards, 1/10 fumble recovery yards. No WW in the offseason, a FA auction is held the day before the NFL season begins. Weekly WW are blind bids.

My team is:

QB: Drew Brees($14), Marc Bulger($20), JaMarcus Russell($12)[PS], Bruce Gradkowski($3)

RB: Larry Johnson($18), Willis McGahee($20), Laurence Maroney($14), Deangelo Williams($14), Cedric Benson ($16), Ahmad Bradshaw ($1), Ladell Betts($46)

WR: Marques Colston($3), Randy Moss($30), Deion Branch($14), Terry Glenn($6), Dwayne Bowe($7), Dwayne Jarrett($7)[PS], Mike Walker($2)[PS], Chris Henry($8)[sUS], Chris Chambers($22), Michael Clayton($16)

TE: Tony Gonzalez($32), LJ Smith($10), Desmond Clark($12)

K: Robbie Gould($3)

DL: Will Smith($14), Derrick Burgess($11), Dwight Freeney($20), Robert Geathers($8), Adewale Ogunleye($13)

LB: Ray Lewis($26), Lance Briggs($10), DJ Williams($13), Patrick Willis($12), Omar Gaither($3), Ahmad Brooks($7), Jon Beason($10), Andra Davis($14), Quincy Black($1)[PS], D'Qwell Jackson($10), Chris Draft($3), Tedy Bruschi($20), Johnny Baldwin($1)

DB: Bob Sanders($7), Dawan Landry($3), Madieau Williams($13), Sean Considine ($3), Kevin Kaesviharn($12)

QB: 3 keepers (1 on practice squad), $46

RB: 5 keepers, $82

WR: 8 keepers (1 on suspended list, 2 on practice squad), $77

TE: 2 keepers, $42

K: 1 keeper, $3

DL: 4 keepers, $53

LB: 9 keepers (1 on practice squad), $96

DB: 4 keepers, $26

Active Roster: 31

Practice Squad: 4

Suspended/IR: 1

Total Salary: $425

Best 3 FAs by postion (before cuts):

QB

Jeff Garcia

Joey Harrington

Josh McCown/Damon Huard (unknown starting status for either)

RB

Fred Taylor

Chris Brown

Ladell Betts (will be cut from my team)

WR

Eddie Kennison

Drew Carter

Ronald Curry

Chris Chambers (will most likely be cut from my team)

TE

Dallas Clark

Bo Scaife

Desmond Clark (will be cut from my team)

K

Olindo Mare

Matt Stover

Josh Scobee

DL

Dwayne White

Ray Edwards

Kalimba Edwards

LB

Napoleon Harris

Barrett Ruud

Dan Morgan

DB

Darren Sharper

Nick Collins

Mike Brown

I think this gives me the best chance to win while still building in weak areas such as WR. This will leave me with $35 to play with during the auction for 9 active players and 2 practice squad players. Thoughts on whether these are the right cuts or not? Should I drop others or not drop some?

I think that looks reasonable.

It appears that Andra Davis won't be in the nickel package this year and could be on his way to the bench altogether. You're deep at LB and those 14 bucks may allow you to get Betts back or buy an extra receiver. I might keep Baldwin around for $1 if you don't think you'll find someone else of similar value at any position in the auction.

Thanks for the input.

A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind:

Who has the biggest upside, D'Qwell Jackson, Johnny Baldwin or Ahmad Bradshaw (assuming I got Jackson back for $1)?

Are any of the free agents I listed a "must have" at any cost? There are a couple of other DBs in addition to those listed that I am targeting to try and get maybe 3 more.

Should I be keeping LJ Smith with his injuries or take a chance to get any of the FAs available? Eric Johnson and David Martin are also available in addition to those above.

Should I be eating the cap hit it would take to keep Chambers as another WR option or try and get him back cheaper?

Thanks for the input.A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind:Who has the biggest upside, D'Qwell Jackson, Johnny Baldwin or Ahmad Bradshaw (assuming I got Jackson back for $1)?Are any of the free agents I listed a "must have" at any cost? There are a couple of other DBs in addition to those listed that I am targeting to try and get maybe 3 more.Should I be keeping LJ Smith with his injuries or take a chance to get any of the FAs available? Eric Johnson and David Martin are also available in addition to those above.Should I be eating the cap hit it would take to keep Chambers as another WR option or try and get him back cheaper?

D'Qwell is going to start, and I think (not 100% sure, so check) that he is a 3 down LB, so I'd rather have him. I don't think any FA is a must have, although Fred Taylor, Curry and Scaife are the ones I would go after. LJ Smith should be kept. I personally prefer someone with upside behind an every week starter.Chambers is a tough call. I may consider keeping him unless you think you can get a better WR. You don't have a great deal of proven depth.

Thanks for the input. D'Qwell has been a tackling machine in his game against the Vikings (7 solos as of this posting). Maybe I should hang on to him outright at the $10 so I don't lose him. Chambers didn't do much tonight, seemed the ball went to Ted Ginn when Green was throwing the ball. Maybe I'll try and get him back cheaper or go after a guy like Curry or Wade.

Looks like Andra Davis and Chambers are drops and a consideration to keep D'Qwell.

Who has the biggest upside, D'Qwell Jackson, Johnny Baldwin or Ahmad Bradshaw (assuming I got Jackson back for $1)?

I'll admit that I'm not as well-versed on the prospects of the deeper offensive prospects so you'll get a more informed opinion on Bradshaw elsewhere. Jackson is playing every down in Cleveland and will have nice games when the Browns are likely to play a lot of nickel. His RILB position hasn't been particularly favorable in recent seasons, though, so his upside is limited. His upside for 2007 is better than that of Baldwin, but without a positional/scheme change, Baldwin probably has better long term value.

Are any of the free agents I listed a "must have" at any cost? There are a couple of other DBs in addition to those listed that I am targeting to try and get maybe 3 more.

I don't see any name that clearly stands out. I might pay a little extra for Curry, but the rest all look similar in tier and need.

Should I be keeping LJ Smith with his injuries or take a chance to get any of the FAs available? Eric Johnson and David Martin are also available in addition to those above.

Keep Smith unless you're convinced you can get him back cheaply. If you can get Johnson for a buck, fine, but the chances he'll make it through the season are nearly zero.

Should I be eating the cap hit it would take to keep Chambers as another WR option or try and get him back cheaper?

Judgment call. If you can use the cap space he'll generate for improvement elsewhere, dump him. If you think there's a reasonable chance you'll be left with a bunch of cash after the auction, then keep him on the roster until he proves his 2007 worth.

Archived