What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harrington proves Atlanta has good WR's & passing game. (1 Viewer)

Family Matters

Footballguy
I realize this is just 1 game but after watching some of the game and reviewing the Atlanta passing stats in the preseason, it seems clear that Atlanta does have some good WR's. It also seems clear that Atlanta has an effective passing game unlike when Vick was the QB. Harrington won't be able to do much running but that's what they have RB's for. His stats from the Cinn game totally blow away Vick's usual numbers:

Harrington 13/21=164/2 Comp=61.9% an YPA of 7.80. Vick was never close to these numbers.

Jennings 5-67-1

Jenkins 4-45

White 4-43

Many would like to argue that the reasons Vick was not successful was due to coaching and bad WR's. I think you'll see more of this type performance now that Harrington is the QB and the Vick excuses can be put to bed. In fact I won't be surprised if Harrington is around QB15 for the year. And he can be had late in most drafts. He's even going undrafted in some leagues. He's a steal right now and will make a great QB3 for your team.

Granted Vick was a better fantasy QB based on his rushing, but as far as winning football games I think it's very possible Harrington will be more effective. As far as passing the ball, no question Atlanta will be more balanced going forward.

This was the Cincinnati pass defense. When it comes to Mr. Harrington I'm reminded of the old chestnut, "Even a hippopotamus looks good to it's mother."

It is only preseason and it was the bungals. Harrington has been one of the worst QBs in the league thus far in his career. Rivaled only by Vick for passing ineptitude.

Maybe Joey has matured now. I am open minded to that. But I would not expect him to suddenly turn over a new leaf (he was better than Ryan at least).

That being said I totaly agree about the WR. I have said many times before I think the WR group is better than they have shown. Thier performance was stunted by Vick. Even if Harrington continues to suck I still expect the WRs to do better with him than they would have with Vick.

He needs to throw to Horn and Crumpler more, 2 guys that can actually catch the ball.

Roddy White dropped a sure TD.

It is only preseason and it was the bungals. Harrington has been one of the worst QBs in the league thus far in his career. Rivaled only by Vick for passing ineptitude.
Detroit and Miami have 2 of the worst o lines in the NFL. This is his last opportunity. Give the guy a chance.

It is only preseason and it was the bungals. Harrington has been one of the worst QBs in the league thus far in his career. Rivaled only by Vick for passing ineptitude.Maybe Joey has matured now. I am open minded to that. But I would not expect him to suddenly turn over a new leaf (he was better than Ryan at least).That being said I totaly agree about the WR. I have said many times before I think the WR group is better than they have shown. Thier performance was stunted by Vick. Even if Harrington continues to suck I still expect the WRs to do better with him than they would have with Vick.
Coaching and experience might make the difference for Harrington. Usually QB's don't change their spots so to speak, but Harrington was on some pretty bad teams with not very good pass protection. If the ATL line holds up and Petrino is having a positive impact then I can but into the change. This is the most talent he's had around him yet and I think it'll be enough to make a difference. So far in the preseason he's looked like a changed man with a new lease on life.

Many would like to argue that the reasons Vick was not successful was due to coaching and bad WR's.
I guess it could still be blamed on the coaching. Never underestimate the public's willingness to make excuses for Michael Vick.
:lmao: But, he found Jesus, so maybe he'll be a better quarterback now
people always find Jesus AFTER they get convicted . . .
:shrug: and very true!

Is there a "what are you smoking?" emoticon?

The Atlanta WRs are wildly inconsistent. Every year they'd put together nice games under Vick. Then everyone would start talking about how its all coming together, then they'd all start sucking again. It wasn't just Vick. Did you see that drop Roddy White had in the endzone? Hit him right in the hands. Classic Roddy White.

Nothing has changed except they've brought in a worse QB than Vick. Yes they will pass more, but they won't be any more good at it. Well they did add a solid vet in Joe Horn, which is something Vick never had in Atlanta.

Don't let one pre-season half game cloud the common sense you acquired about Joey over his 5 year career. Guys don't just change overnight. If he couldn't get it done with better WRs, why would he suddenly do it now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if Harrington's a better passer than Vick, but there's an extra 100+ attempts to go 'round now that Vick's not running on passing plays. That's 3-4 more completions per game and 50+ for the season. So the WRs should all see a sizable bump in their numbers. One of the WRs and Crumpler should be worth owning.

Many would like to argue that the reasons Vick was not successful was due to coaching and bad WR's.
I guess it could still be blamed on the coaching. Never underestimate the public's willingness to make excuses for Michael Vick.
I don't think he had an ideal situation in Atlanta. Every year or two it was a new coach and new offensive system and new WRs. Not exactly a recipe for success, especially for a project like Vick.

Is there a "what are you smoking?" emoticon?The Atlanta WRs are wildly inconsistent. Every year they'd put together nice games under Vick. Then everyone would start talking about how its all coming together, then they'd all start sucking again. It wasn't just Vick. Did you see that drop Roddy White had in the endzone? Hit him right in the hands. Classic Roddy White.Nothing has changed except they've brought in a worse QB than Vick. Yes they will pass more, but they won't be any more good at it. Well they did add a solid vet in Joe Horn, which is something Vick never had in Atlanta.Don't let one pre-season half game cloud the common sense you acquired about Joey over his 5 year career. Guys don't just change overnight. If he couldn't get it done with better WRs, why would he suddenly do it now?
I would not say Harrington is worse than Vick, Vick is a better runner no doubt, but Harrington may bring some stability to the passing game that Vick never could,Matt Schaub is looking pretty good right now.

I can only hope those in my next 3 drafts watched that game and feel the same way as you :shrug: .

Harrington in pre-season vs. bad pass defense = Not to shabby

Harrington vs. same defense when the games matter = :lmao:

I don't know if Harrington's a better passer than Vick, but there's an extra 100+ attempts to go 'round now that Vick's not running on passing plays. That's 3-4 more completions per game and 50+ for the season. So the WRs should all see a sizable bump in their numbers. One of the WRs and Crumpler should be worth owning.
so which WR will be the best in Atlanta ?M Jenkins, White or Horn ??Jenkins and White are still available in our league- thinking of making a move here

so which WR will be the best in Atlanta ?M Jenkins, White or Horn ??

Jenkins and White are still available in our league- thinking of making a move here
If you can draft the sidelines or one of the hash marks, you'll be set with Joey at QB.

I think there's some validity to spiking Harrington's value, just a bit at this time. Bobby Petrino's spread offense of 3, 4, or even 5 WR formations is going to increase his passing numbers. Norwood also looks like he's going to be a focal person in the offense, even though we didn't see a whole lot of him in last night's game. Petrino has had success with the power RB and Norwood fits that role. Where Warrick Dunn will be in this is yet to be determined, but I think Norwood's time has come. We'll see how it plays out from here, but Norwood increased in my rankings, as well as Harrington and Michael Jenkins, who looks to be holding onto the WR1 role.

It was simply hilarious when the announcers last night said that Joey is going to open up the deep passing game in Atlanta. :confused: :wall: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

He'll be just good enough to keep the job for awhile.....Draft him if you have a lot of Rolaids for Sundays come midseason.

I can only hope those in my next 3 drafts watched that game and feel the same way as you :thumbdown: .Harrington in pre-season vs. bad pass defense = Not to shabbyHarrington vs. same defense when the games matter = :lmao:
So you don't think he's worth a late round (18-20) pick up as your QB3? You can only go up from there. Taking a B that late pretty much eliminates the risk.

so which WR will be the best in Atlanta ?M Jenkins, White or Horn ??

Jenkins and White are still available in our league- thinking of making a move here
Jenkins will the one to have.

It was simply hilarious when the announcers last night said that Joey is going to open up the deep passing game in Atlanta. :thumbdown: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lmao: He'll be just good enough to keep the job for awhile.....Draft him if you have a lot of Rolaids for Sundays come midseason.
Well you can get him at the end of most drafts so the risk is low because you should already have QB1 & 2. Nothing but up from there.

I think there's some validity to spiking Harrington's value, just a bit at this time. Bobby Petrino's spread offense of 3, 4, or even 5 WR formations is going to increase his passing numbers. Norwood also looks like he's going to be a focal person in the offense, even though we didn't see a whole lot of him in last night's game. Petrino has had success with the power RB and Norwood fits that role. Where Warrick Dunn will be in this is yet to be determined, but I think Norwood's time has come. We'll see how it plays out from here, but Norwood increased in my rankings, as well as Harrington and Michael Jenkins, who looks to be holding onto the WR1 role.
Good points Jeff. Getting Harrington and Jenkins late in drafts means the value is perfect for upside potential. Jankins has gone undrafted in some leagues while HArrington has not been drafted in most excpet for a couple of late round flyers. That's the beauty of it. If it doesn't pan out then no harm. But if he does then you made a smart choice and improved you team's chances of success.

I agree with verything you said...until that. Norwood is many things, but a power back is NOT one of them.

Is there a "what are you smoking?" emoticon?The Atlanta WRs are wildly inconsistent. Every year they'd put together nice games under Vick. Then everyone would start talking about how its all coming together, then they'd all start sucking again. It wasn't just Vick. Did you see that drop Roddy White had in the endzone? Hit him right in the hands. Classic Roddy White.Nothing has changed except they've brought in a worse QB than Vick. Yes they will pass more, but they won't be any more good at it. Well they did add a solid vet in Joe Horn, which is something Vick never had in Atlanta.Don't let one pre-season half game cloud the common sense you acquired about Joey over his 5 year career. Guys don't just change overnight. If he couldn't get it done with better WRs, why would he suddenly do it now?
So you think Vick wasn't problem with the passing game? It's the coaches and WR's? Yet the back up QB's seemed to be more sucessful passing than Vick. Now Harrington has shown flashes in all 3 preseason games and you still think Vick isn't the problem. So maybe we should check back after 8 games and see where things stand. I feel Harrington will be much more effective passing than Vick. His comp %, yardsage, YPA and rating will all be better than Vick's best year. The WR's will look much better as well. Then you'll see what we've been trying to say for several years now.BTW-2 important comments. The reason they will pass more is because Vick refused to be patient and would chose to run the ball rather pass it. As for WR drops, every WR has the problem once in a while. In fact, TO is one of the worst. Yet Romo has put up some pretty good numbers. Hasselbeck had the worst WR drops a couple of years ago and still managed a top 8 season IIRC. So it's just an excuse when you don't want to hold the QB responsible. Check back after week 8 and let's take another look. If I'm out of my mind then feel free to point it out. Otherwise let's make sure we know where the accountability lies.

I agree with verything you said...until that. Norwood is many things, but a power back is NOT one of them.
actually Norwood suprisingly has some serious power, but everyone is too caught up in evaluating his weight to realize he very rarely goes down on first contact.

I can only hope those in my next 3 drafts watched that game and feel the same way as you :rolleyes: .Harrington in pre-season vs. bad pass defense = Not to shabbyHarrington vs. same defense when the games matter = :thumbup:
So you don't think he's worth a late round (18-20) pick up as your QB3? You can only go up from there. Taking a B that late pretty much eliminates the risk.
3rd QB.. Pick 17 or later? Sure at that point your mostly swinging and hoping (took Bobby Wade the other night as my 17th player).. It just seemed this post was setting him up with higher goals then 3rd stringer..And that's just what I'm hoping some :rolleyes: 's think come draft time..

Last pick in the draft type pick, Harrington threw for roughly 400 yards in a game last year. You forgot Laurent Robinson in your additions.You could do worse with a last pick

Some guys abilities just work better in certain systems. You see it all the time. A guy will have a great couple of seasons and then go somewhere else via free agency and is never the same player again. I think it's a matter of fitting the right guy in the right system. Maybe Petrino's offense is the right system for Harrington. He very well may flop there too, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens before I permanently write him off.

I disagree on many points. First, did you see the two touchdown passes, and not just the drop? Very nice balls thrown by Harrington.Second, Atlanta is going to BLOW. They will HAVE to throw the ball. If your league does not penalize you for INT's, then Harrington is a good late pick.Third, as to a late pick, Harrington's ADP is very low. The point of late round picks IS TO FIND PLAYERS WHO WILL OUTPRODUCE THEIR ADP AND PROJECTIONS. Feel free to pick all the kickers you want. I'll take a starting QB who might turn into a good passing stat guy.Fourth, have you seen Atlanta's schedule? EASY. Fifth, Bobby Petrino is not Jim Mora. Petrino actually is a good offensive coach. He was running multiple WR sets last night.ALL of these factors, in total = Harrington is a good value pick very late in your draft.

So you think Vick wasn't problem with the passing game? It's the coaches and WR's?
A problem or the problem? I agree with the former to an extent, not the latter.
Yet the back up QB's seemed to be more sucessful passing than Vick.
Backup QBs like Doug Johnson? Matt Schaub had one great game against the Patriots when they were one of the worst defenses in the league and now suddenly the backups were more successful than Vick? I don't think so. How'd Schaub do in other games? Not so great.
Now Harrington has shown flashes in all 3 preseason games and you still think Vick isn't the problem.
Harrington showed flashes in a preseason game and the exact opposite in 70 real games. I'll take his performances in the latter as a better indicator.
So maybe we should check back after 8 games and see where things stand. I feel Harrington will be much more effective passing than Vick. His comp %, yardsage, YPA and rating will all be better than Vick's best year. The WR's will look much better as well. Then you'll see what we've been trying to say for several years now.
This will be interesting. I'll take Vick 2002 or 2004 over Harrington 2008. We'll see. Of course, we should add in Vick's rushing to get an overall YPA but I'll let you slide on just passing YPA.
As for WR drops, every WR has the problem once in a while. In fact, TO is one of the worst. Yet Romo has put up some pretty good numbers. Hasselbeck had the worst WR drops a couple of years ago and still managed a top 8 season IIRC. So it's just an excuse when you don't want to hold the QB responsible. Check back after week 8 and let's take another look. If I'm out of my mind then feel free to point it out. Otherwise let's make sure we know where the accountability lies.
Except it's not just once in a while for the Atlanta receivers. And they haven't proven to be half as talented as Darrell Jackson or TO. TO is an explosive player. A game breaker. He can overcome a few drops and still blow you away. D-Jax is not as good as TO, but he's still good enough on the other plays to overcome that shortcoming. I'm not saying drops makes or breaks a WR per se, but it will break a WR who is mediocre to begin with. A WR who is not very good and backs it up with bad hands won't last long.These are not the droids you are looking for. Harrington is not the savior. Maybe when they bring in a real QB, we can compare how guys like Roddy White and Michael Jenkins fare. Harrington is a lateral move passing wise and a downgrade at the position as a whole.

Facing vanilla defenses from a team with one of the worst pass defenses in the league should not be enough to raise the value of a player.

Some guys abilities just work better in certain systems. You see it all the time. A guy will have a great couple of seasons and then go somewhere else via free agency and is never the same player again. I think it's a matter of fitting the right guy in the right system. Maybe Petrino's offense is the right system for Harrington. He very well may flop there too, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens before I permanently write him off.
How many systems does Joey get before we write him off? This is like his 4th one.

These are not the droids you are looking for. Harrington is not the savior. Maybe when they bring in a real QB, we can compare how guys like Roddy White and Michael Jenkins fare. Harrington is a lateral move passing wise and a downgrade at the position as a whole.

You might be right about it being a lateral move. But for fantasy purposes, even lateral move, average talent QB's can put up good fantasy numbers in the right system.

Ex. - Jon Kitna, Kurt Warner, Warren Moon (when he was old in Denny Green's Minn. system).

How many systems does Joey get before we write him off? This is like his 4th one.
:popcorn: When all is said and done, Harrington is still the same inaccurate passer that he always has been.

So you think Vick wasn't problem with the passing game? It's the coaches and WR's? Yet the back up QB's seemed to be more sucessful passing than Vick. Now Harrington has shown flashes in all 3 preseason games and you still think Vick isn't the problem. So maybe we should check back after 8 games and see where things stand. I feel Harrington will be much more effective passing than Vick. His comp %, yardsage, YPA and rating will all be better than Vick's best year. The WR's will look much better as well. Then you'll see what we've been trying to say for several years now.BTW-2 important comments. The reason they will pass more is because Vick refused to be patient and would chose to run the ball rather pass it. As for WR drops, every WR has the problem once in a while. In fact, TO is one of the worst. Yet Romo has put up some pretty good numbers. Hasselbeck had the worst WR drops a couple of years ago and still managed a top 8 season IIRC. So it's just an excuse when you don't want to hold the QB responsible. Check back after week 8 and let's take another look. If I'm out of my mind then feel free to point it out. Otherwise let's make sure we know where the accountability lies.
Both above and in your original post you make valid points, but to say, as your headline does, that after three meaningless games it has been 'proved' that Vick was the problem, without ever seeing Vick in the new offense, is absurd.

When it's all said and done, it looks like Atlanta and their new offense will be slinging the ball around a lot ...I'd say Jenkins and Crumpler might be able to pull in 5-8 TDs as red zone targets. But in general, I think the yardage will be distributed over a lot of guys.

When it's all said and done, it looks like Atlanta and their new offense will be slinging the ball around a lot ...I'd say Jenkins and Crumpler might be able to pull in 5-8 TDs as red zone targets. But in general, I think the yardage will be distributed over a lot of guys.
This is a good point when it comes to the receivers. If both Jenkins & Crumpler pull in 8, and the other WR's pull in 8 total, that's already 24 td passes. If you look at the easy schedule, combined with a poor defense, this offense will need to pass. 24 tds is realistic, imo, which makes Harrington definitely worthy of a late round flyer.

These are not the droids you are looking for. Harrington is not the savior. Maybe when they bring in a real QB, we can compare how guys like Roddy White and Michael Jenkins fare. Harrington is a lateral move passing wise and a downgrade at the position as a whole.
You might be right about it being a lateral move. But for fantasy purposes, even lateral move, average talent QB's can put up good fantasy numbers in the right system. Ex. - Jon Kitna, Kurt Warner, Warren Moon (when he was old in Denny Green's Minn. system).
Well now we're arguing what the minimum talent level is to put up good fantasy numbers. I will agree that mediocre + heavy workload = fantasy goodness.Except I don't consider Joey to even be mediocre. He'll certainly not approach the fantasy numbers that Vick had unless he throws the ball like 690x. Harrington may be an "upgrade" for the overall passing stats of the Falcons. But his effect is a downgrade to the Falcons offense.Plus I will go on record as saying that Harrington will never come close to Kitna, Warner on Moon numbers outside of a video game.

Users who are viewing this thread