What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harrington proves Atlanta has good WR's & passing game. (1 Viewer)

No last pick in a draft gets analyzed this much
I distinctly remember one draft I was in about 10 years. The last pick of the draft was Kurt Warner the year he blew up.It's what we do in the shark pool.
Debating the unknown is interesting at least. Debating known suckitude is masochism.
I seem to recall Thomas Jones was written off before going to his third team and helping many a fantasy owner.

I distinctly remember one draft I was in about 10 years. The last pick of the draft was Kurt Warner the year he blew up.It's what we do in the shark pool.
Debating the unknown is interesting at least. Debating known suckitude is masochism.
I seem to recall Thomas Jones was written off before going to his third team and helping many a fantasy owner.
He's still mediocre. Not sure what changed.

It is only preseason and it was the bungals. Harrington has been one of the worst QBs in the league thus far in his career. Rivaled only by Vick for passing ineptitude.Maybe Joey has matured now. I am open minded to that. But I would not expect him to suddenly turn over a new leaf (he was better than Ryan at least).That being said I totaly agree about the WR. I have said many times before I think the WR group is better than they have shown. Thier performance was stunted by Vick. Even if Harrington continues to suck I still expect the WRs to do better with him than they would have with Vick.
Coaching and experience might make the difference for Harrington. Usually QB's don't change their spots so to speak, but Harrington was on some pretty bad teams with not very good pass protection. If the ATL line holds up and Petrino is having a positive impact then I can but into the change. This is the most talent he's had around him yet and I think it'll be enough to make a difference. So far in the preseason he's looked like a changed man with a new lease on life.
Think Damon Huard. He had never done anything special. But last year, in the right circumstances, he did a decent job. If Harrington can do that kind of a job for ATL they will be thrilled. The running game is often dependent on the O-line. They must be at least average or the running game wouldn't have been as good the last few years. So that is still in place. All in all I think rumors of their complete demise may be premature. Will they go to the Super Bowl? No, I don't think so. Will they win the division? Not with Carolina and the Saints in their division. But they may win more than 5 games, which is the prediction I heard.

It is only preseason and it was the bungals. Harrington has been one of the worst QBs in the league thus far in his career. Rivaled only by Vick for passing ineptitude.

Maybe Joey has matured now. I am open minded to that. But I would not expect him to suddenly turn over a new leaf (he was better than Ryan at least).

That being said I totaly agree about the WR. I have said many times before I think the WR group is better than they have shown. Thier performance was stunted by Vick. Even if Harrington continues to suck I still expect the WRs to do better with him than they would have with Vick.
Coaching and experience might make the difference for Harrington. Usually QB's don't change their spots so to speak, but Harrington was on some pretty bad teams with not very good pass protection. If the ATL line holds up and Petrino is having a positive impact then I can but into the change. This is the most talent he's had around him yet and I think it'll be enough to make a difference. So far in the preseason he's looked like a changed man with a new lease on life.
Think Damon Huard. He had never done anything special. But last year, in the right circumstances, he did a decent job. If Harrington can do that kind of a job for ATL they will be thrilled. The running game is often dependent on the O-line. They must be at least average or the running game wouldn't have been as good the last few years. So that is still in place. All in all I think rumors of their complete demise may be premature. Will they go to the Super Bowl? No, I don't think so. Will they win the division? Not with Carolina and the Saints in their division. But they may win more than 5 games, which is the prediction I heard.
Fixed. Don't see how you can compare the two.

Start with the offensive line. Both in Detroit and Miami they are terrible. Give Trent Green a non blocking line and he turns into Drew Bledsoe. Harrington may be able to manage games and give Falcons fans something to sheer for this year. Next year they can draft the franchise QB. If they can compete for wins this year they should be happy.

It is only preseason and it was the bungals. Harrington has been one of the worst QBs in the league thus far in his career. Rivaled only by Vick for passing ineptitude.Maybe Joey has matured now. I am open minded to that. But I would not expect him to suddenly turn over a new leaf (he was better than Ryan at least).That being said I totaly agree about the WR. I have said many times before I think the WR group is better than they have shown. Thier performance was stunted by Vick. Even if Harrington continues to suck I still expect the WRs to do better with him than they would have with Vick.
Huard is not a good comparison because he hasn't played nearly as much as Harrington has....same as the Warner comparisons. It's apples and oranges. How many QB's have started as many games as Harrington, played terrible for the majority of them...then all of a sudden became good QBs?

What's interesting to me about Petrino's offense is that it seems reminiscent of Joe Gibbs' offense: big offensive line and RB with a physical running game as the bread and butter, complemented by deep, play-action passes. That type of a scheme tends to reduce the QB's responsibilities and simplify things, allowing better stats from a lesser QB. Dennis Green ran that offense in Minnesota too with similar results in that regard.

This may be just what the doctor ordered for Harrington.

OK fine, jumping in

In 7(I believe so, someone can hit a site to verify #) starts last year

Joey had 250+ yards 4 times.

He also had a paltry 137 yards but 3 TDs which might have wound up OK for him for the week in FF.

2 3 TD games

a 414 yard game

Not every NFL QB last year threw for 250+ in that % of games.

The rub-

completion percentage, not good at all but link to an FF league that scores that

More INTs than TDs but some leagues don't penalize INTs

I said last year and I'll say it again-He looked like he probably should have as a rook in Detroit. He's got a real good arm and slinged it all over the place. He made rookie(see should have) mistakes throwing the ball right to defenders on horrific reads at times.

The Fins wanted him to forget his Lions time. I don't know how a guy can forget a few years of his career but he sure looked like he did. I don't know how you can consider a 4th or 5th year player a rookie but he sure looked like one. Every rookie hopefully improves the next year so how are you supposed to predict this?

I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything but that guy looked different in 06. Trent Dilfer probably should have been out of football with his horrible play but somehow played great for the Ravens as a game manager. Rich Gannon was "eh" and somehow kept hanging onto teams until the Raiders when he "broke out" at like 37-38 years old. Similarly Vince Evans became a starting caliber NFL QB at like 37. IIRC Danny White stunk whenever he came in for Staubach and sure didn't look like Roger's replacement. Aaron Rodgers still hasn't looked good in an actual NFL regular season game but he has this preseason. So you "can't" say you've never seen a player finally "get it" years into his career.

That guy was different in 06. He's got some thoroughbreds playing WR and one of the better WRs and TEs of this era. He's worth a shot with your last pick.

Huard is not a good comparison because he hasn't played nearly as much as Harrington has....same as the Warner comparisons. It's apples and oranges. How many QB's have started as many games as Harrington, played terrible for the majority of them...then all of a sudden became good QBs?
Rich Gannon.

A few of us told you Harrington wasn't the horror most people trash him as.

Not to say he's about to light it up either, but he could be respectable at QB if his surrounding cast is at least respectable as well.

I will always root for Joey to turn it around and have a good career. He seems like a good kid.

The guy has the physical skills to make it as an NFL QB. We saw it in college, and we still see flashes of it every now and then in the NFL. What he appears to lack is confidence, and the ability to shake off bad plays. You can practically see him deflate after an INT, and then mistakes lead to more mistakes. Going to Detroit unfortunately did not mesh with that type of personality.

If, and its a big if, he can string together 6-7 good games in a row and get some swagger about him...then it might be time to look out. He's smart, he has the physical skills, but he needs that big "A-HA" moment with regard to confidence that comes from winning, and then figure out how to keep the swagger during the bad times.

Good luck Joey, and good luck Atlanta fans. I'll be rooting for you. A good season from Joey would be the feel-good story of the year in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
im somewhat surprised at the quantity of "meh its joey harrington he sucks" responses, especially from the staff.

the OP isnt saying take him over Peyton, folks. in addition, i think there may be WR4 or 5 value from some of the names in the original post, and i for one just added jenkins to the late round flier list.

Players surprise all the time.. i am not as quick to dismiss all things falcon as i was a few weeks ago.

I would venture a guess that when Harrington woke up this morning, he had a huge smile on his face - that is if he got any sleep at all. Let's face it, the guy is being scrutinized and compared to Vick by anyone and everyone. He has a tremendous amount of pressure on him to perform. He was thrust into the starting role and as much as he was looking forward to it, I'm sure he had his thoughts as to how he's going to perform based on his past performances. For him to have a good game, on national TV no less, it has to raise his spirits and boost his confidence dramatically. If you saw his reaction of not running, but sprinting down field to congratulate Adam Jennings after that first TD pass, then you know how important and how special that was. Harrington will be playing with an extra boost of confidence that might last the entire season, thanks to his positive game last night. Between Atlanta's spread offense and Harrington's confidence, I think the Atlanta passing game is definitely something to keep an eye on as the season begins.

In general most of those saying "Harrington sucks" don't know football. People forget Jeff Garcia couldn't make it work in Detroit either. Did he suddenly get better when he went to Philly? Or maybe it was the chants of the Detroit faithful, "We want Joey", while Garcia was starting that caused him to be a better QB?

Harrington didn't make it work in Miami, but who has? Even with the new coaching staff does anyone expect Green to be anything more than a tackling dummy in the sweet Florida air?

Harp on Harrington all you want, but its more fodder for the bar than good fantasy discussion.

-Rooni

Oh I know, I hate it when I can draft a guy late and he turns into a solid RB2.

It is only preseason and it was the bungals. Harrington has been one of the worst QBs in the league thus far in his career. Rivaled only by Vick for passing ineptitude.

Maybe Joey has matured now. I am open minded to that. But I would not expect him to suddenly turn over a new leaf (he was better than Ryan at least).

That being said I totaly agree about the WR. I have said many times before I think the WR group is better than they have shown. Thier performance was stunted by Vick. Even if Harrington continues to suck I still expect the WRs to do better with him than they would have with Vick.
Huard was 30th in fantasy points per game at the QB position last year...if that's Harrington's best comparable, he's overvalued at his current ADP.

In general most of those saying "Harrington sucks" don't know football. People forget Jeff Garcia couldn't make it work in Detroit either. Did he suddenly get better when he went to Philly? Or maybe it was the chants of the Detroit faithful, "We want Joey", while Garcia was starting that caused him to be a better QB?Harrington didn't make it work in Miami, but who has? Even with the new coaching staff does anyone expect Green to be anything more than a tackling dummy in the sweet Florida air? Harp on Harrington all you want, but its more fodder for the bar than good fantasy discussion.-Rooni
We'll never know what could've been in Detroit for Garcia since he got hurt in pre-season then was probably rushed back from that injury prematurely.He was just fine in Cleveland under the circumstances. He put up better numbers than Harrington ever has.I think it's funny that one side of the argument is saying "stop making excuses for Vick" then has a laundry list of excuses for Harrington.I won't even get into the "we never get to see what Vick would do in this offense so even if Harrington looks a little better it doesn't prove anything" debate.

Cant discount Harrington just because of the Detroit and Miami situations. Sometimes with qbs, it just takes alot of time to get it.

Look at Rich Gannon. It took him 10 yrs to find the right fit.

I realize this is just 1 game but after watching some of the game and reviewing the Atlanta passing stats in the preseason, it seems clear that Atlanta does have some good WR's. It also seems clear that Atlanta has an effective passing game unlike when Vick was the QB. Harrington won't be able to do much running but that's what they have RB's for. His stats from the Cinn game totally blow away Vick's usual numbers:Harrington 13/21=164/2 Comp=61.9% an YPA of 7.80. Vick was never close to these numbers.Jennings 5-67-1Jenkins 4-45White 4-43Many would like to argue that the reasons Vick was not successful was due to coaching and bad WR's. I think you'll see more of this type performance now that Harrington is the QB and the Vick excuses can be put to bed. In fact I won't be surprised if Harrington is around QB15 for the year. And he can be had late in most drafts. He's even going undrafted in some leagues. He's a steal right now and will make a great QB3 for your team.Granted Vick was a better fantasy QB based on his rushing, but as far as winning football games I think it's very possible Harrington will be more effective. As far as passing the ball, no question Atlanta will be more balanced going forward.
White still sucks - terrible hands. They need Robinson to step up. Jennings probably won't make the team.

In general most of those saying "Harrington sucks" don't know football. People forget Jeff Garcia couldn't make it work in Detroit either. Did he suddenly get better when he went to Philly? Or maybe it was the chants of the Detroit faithful, "We want Joey", while Garcia was starting that caused him to be a better QB?

Harrington didn't make it work in Miami, but who has? Even with the new coaching staff does anyone expect Green to be anything more than a tackling dummy in the sweet Florida air?

Harp on Harrington all you want, but its more fodder for the bar than good fantasy discussion.

-Rooni
Jeff Garcia went to three consecutive Pro Bowls in San Francisco...throwing 84 TDs against just 32 INTs over that span. He was also a major league threat as a runner (he's got 24 rushing TDs in his career). Just a little bit better of a resume to build off of than Harrington, wouldn't you say?

In general most of those saying "Harrington sucks" don't know football. People forget Jeff Garcia couldn't make it work in Detroit either. Did he suddenly get better when he went to Philly? Or maybe it was the chants of the Detroit faithful, "We want Joey", while Garcia was starting that caused him to be a better QB?Harrington didn't make it work in Miami, but who has? Even with the new coaching staff does anyone expect Green to be anything more than a tackling dummy in the sweet Florida air? Harp on Harrington all you want, but its more fodder for the bar than good fantasy discussion.-Rooni
Actually, I've always thought Harrington could be a good QB in a better situation. He was thrown in too early in DET, and his psyche there was damaged. MIA was just full of turmoil, and the team was never behind him. I actually think ATL will rally behind Harrington, Petrino is anawesome QB coach, and Harrington will be good this season.

-Rooni
Jeff Garcia went to three consecutive Pro Bowls in San Francisco...throwing 84 TDs against just 32 INTs over that span. He was also a major league threat as a runner (he's got 24 rushing TDs in his career). Just a little bit better of a resume to build off of than Harrington, wouldn't you say?
I think you missed my point.

-Rooni
Exactly. That resume and he still looked horrendous in Detroit.

-Rooni
I think you missed my point.
No, I didn't; just wanted to point out that its apples and oranges. It's like when people argue that Emmitt Smith would've sucked if he was playing for Detroit while Barry Sanders would've run for 2,500 yards a season behind the Cowboys line. But more directly to your contention, why do you think the ATL situation is better than what Harrington had to deal with in Detroit? Garcia benefited from one of the best offensive lines in football last year; do you honestly think the Falcons line will play to that level, or even close?

In general most of those saying "Harrington sucks" don't know football. People forget Jeff Garcia couldn't make it work in Detroit either.
Or maybe they are remembering Rick Mierer, Tony Banks, or the 10,000 other QBs that DIDNT suddenly prosper by changing the scenery. We remember the success stories but forget the failures. By the above logic any QB will succeed if given enough different opportunities, but that just isnt true.

Probably a better model to use here is Jake Delhomme. Both are guys with flaws in their games, but they also have raw talent and strong arms. Delhomme was nothing until he got onto a Panthers team that stressed defense and rushing first, allowing him to settle in and take shots only when appropriate.

The hope would be that Harrington, who BTW has a better pedigree than Delhomme in terms of college and draft position, can blossom like that in a system that also emphasizes rushing and defense.

-Rooni
Exactly. That resume and he still looked horrendous in Detroit.
You realize that Garcia broke his leg in early September of that season and also battled (and continues to battle) chronic back pain, right?APPLES meet ORANGES

Probably a better model to use here is Jake Delhomme. Both are guys with flaws in their games, but they also have raw talent and strong arms. Delhomme was nothing until he got onto a Panthers team that stressed defense and rushing first, allowing him to settle in and take shots only when appropriate. The hope would be that Harrington, who BTW has a better pedigree than Delhomme in terms of college and draft position, can blossom like that in a system that also emphasizes rushing and defense.
I think that's the upshot Redman, nice job. There is, of course, a major difference though as you know. Delhomme simply never got a shot at the starting job until he was traded to Carolina. Harrington has been given multiples shots at starting and failed at every turn.

Probably a better model to use here is Jake Delhomme. Both are guys with flaws in their games, but they also have raw talent and strong arms. Delhomme was nothing until he got onto a Panthers team that stressed defense and rushing first, allowing him to settle in and take shots only when appropriate.
Delhomme was a backup for a couple years or so who did real well whenever he came in.

There are a few points that need to be made on the subject of Harrington and the Falcons passing game:

1. They have a real "us against the world" attitude as a TEAM right now. Harrington was on all of those awful Detroit teams that couldn't even get together behind the fact that they were all labeled as losers. Nobody had faith in Harrington, whether it was due to the rookie contract $$$ he was getting, the aloof way he goes about his personal business, or whatever the reason was. Seeing that Falcons team on the field last night it really looked like they were all doing the fundamental stuff the right way and keeping their mental mistakes to a minimum. They know they have little room for error on the field this year if they want to win games, and they know that the whole world is paying a little more attention to them this year due to the Vick fiasco. Seeing Harrington sprint to the endzone to congratulate his WR on the first TD pass, seeing the way he was smiling and encouraging his teammates on the sideline, there is a lot of good chemistry to this team right now and that's something you can see in a preseason game.

2. Michael Jenkins has been improving and working hard, and Harrington seems to have him locked in as his primary target. Roddy White doesn't seem any different, he continues to drop passes that hit him in the hands yet can make acrobatic amazing catches at other times. Joe Horn and Alge looked like nothing more than posession guys last night, but that gives Harrington a safety blanket down the middle of the field. Norwood and Dunn are both great at taking screen passes for big yardage, and Petrino has used a pretty good % of screen passes in his offensive philosophy in the past. If Harrington hits Norwood for a 50 yard screen pass that goes for a TD, he doesn't have to do much else but manage the game and he could easily end up with 250yds/2TDs.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBXIHY5G5F.html

3. Given where Harrington is going in fantasy drafts, and where Jenkins is going, I'd say both are worth having. The falcons will have to pass a decent amount this year, and Harrington can put up the yards and he can throw the deep ball. I don't think anyone is saying that Joey Harrington is going to lead the Falcons to the playoffs this year (although from what I've seen thus far it's a real possibility). If you just confine this to a fantasy football perspective, you have a QB who is

a) going to have to pass because the Falcons D isn't anything special

b) getting along with his teammates for the first time ever

c) trusting the coaching staff and front office (Arthur Blank personally told Harrington that he believes in him)

d) most of all, seemingly ready to prove everyone wrong who thinks he can't hack it in the NFL

e) and is surrounded by a solid run game, a solid O-Line, 2 veteran posession receivers in Horn/Crumpler, 1 athletic go-to guy in Jenkins, and a wildcard deep threat in White

Nobody thought Kurt Warner would do anything much but in the right situation he can flourish. Harrington has talked about how Petrino's offense isn't like anything else he's been in through the course of his entire football career. He seems genuinely intrigued and he's put his trust in the system. I haven't seen any major mental mistakes from him, and I believe that he's willing to place the team and the offensive philosophy above his own "i can fit that pass in there" desires.

I see nothing but positives from Harrington and Jenkins both from a fantasy perspective this year. Both should easily outperform their ADPs.

There are a few points that need to be made on the subject of Harrington and the Falcons passing game:

1. They have a real "us against the world" attitude as a TEAM right now. Harrington was on all of those awful Detroit teams that couldn't even get together behind the fact that they were all labeled as losers. Nobody had faith in Harrington, whether it was due to the rookie contract $$$ he was getting, the aloof way he goes about his personal business, or whatever the reason was. Seeing that Falcons team on the field last night it really looked like they were all doing the fundamental stuff the right way and keeping their mental mistakes to a minimum. They know they have little room for error on the field this year if they want to win games, and they know that the whole world is paying a little more attention to them this year due to the Vick fiasco. Seeing Harrington sprint to the endzone to congratulate his WR on the first TD pass, seeing the way he was smiling and encouraging his teammates on the sideline, there is a lot of good chemistry to this team right now and that's something you can see in a preseason game.

2. Michael Jenkins has been improving and working hard, and Harrington seems to have him locked in as his primary target. Roddy White doesn't seem any different, he continues to drop passes that hit him in the hands yet can make acrobatic amazing catches at other times. Joe Horn and Alge looked like nothing more than posession guys last night, but that gives Harrington a safety blanket down the middle of the field. Norwood and Dunn are both great at taking screen passes for big yardage, and Petrino has used a pretty good % of screen passes in his offensive philosophy in the past. If Harrington hits Norwood for a 50 yard screen pass that goes for a TD, he doesn't have to do much else but manage the game and he could easily end up with 250yds/2TDs.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBXIHY5G5F.html

3. Given where Harrington is going in fantasy drafts, and where Jenkins is going, I'd say both are worth having. The falcons will have to pass a decent amount this year, and Harrington can put up the yards and he can throw the deep ball. I don't think anyone is saying that Joey Harrington is going to lead the Falcons to the playoffs this year (although from what I've seen thus far it's a real possibility). If you just confine this to a fantasy football perspective, you have a QB who is

a) going to have to pass because the Falcons D isn't anything special

b) getting along with his teammates for the first time ever

c) trusting the coaching staff and front office (Arthur Blank personally told Harrington that he believes in him)

d) most of all, seemingly ready to prove everyone wrong who thinks he can't hack it in the NFL

e) and is surrounded by a solid run game, a solid O-Line, 2 veteran posession receivers in Horn/Crumpler, 1 athletic go-to guy in Jenkins, and a wildcard deep threat in White

Nobody thought Kurt Warner would do anything much but in the right situation he can flourish. Harrington has talked about how Petrino's offense isn't like anything else he's been in through the course of his entire football career. He seems genuinely intrigued and he's put his trust in the system. I haven't seen any major mental mistakes from him, and I believe that he's willing to place the team and the offensive philosophy above his own "i can fit that pass in there" desires.

I see nothing but positives from Harrington and Jenkins both from a fantasy perspective this year. Both should easily outperform their ADPs.
I think this speaks to league and roster size. If the majority of fantasy leagues are:*** Redraft

*** 10- or 12-teamers

*** Start 1 QB

*** 16-20 rounds

I really struggle with the notion that Harrington is worth having, in a TYPICAL league. If you're in a league that requires just about every NFL starting QB to get rostered and also some backups, then "yes" I think you could argue that Harrington has more upside than many of the other 3rd and 4th tier QBs going late in drafts.

I really struggle with the notion that Harrington is worth having, in a TYPICAL league. If you're in a league that requires just about every NFL starting QB to get rostered and also some backups, then "yes" I think you could argue that Harrington has more upside than many of the other 3rd and 4th tier QBs going late in drafts.
I don't disagree with this post but wow what if he does OK, what a steal he'll be as the last pick if he's OK. If he's not and it's obvious by week 1 or 2, and the WW is OK for QBs like alot of leagues are.....I wonder if that'd get ya deeper/better at other spots. What a wacky theory to tryETA And what if the WR or RB you selected instead could be traded for a QB .....

Hoh said:
I will always root for Joey to turn it around and have a good career. He seems like a good kid.The guy has the physical skills to make it as an NFL QB. We saw it in college, and we still see flashes of it every now and then in the NFL. What he appears to lack is confidence, and the ability to shake off bad plays. You can practically see him deflate after an INT, and then mistakes lead to more mistakes. Going to Detroit unfortunately did not mesh with that type of personality.If, and its a big if, he can string together 6-7 good games in a row and get some swagger about him...then it might be time to look out. He's smart, he has the physical skills, but he needs that big "A-HA" moment with regard to confidence that comes from winning, and then figure out how to keep the swagger during the bad times.Good luck Joey, and good luck Atlanta fans. I'll be rooting for you. A good season from Joey would be the feel-good story of the year in the NFL.
:coffee:

Wood, do you really think guys like

Travaris Jackson

Charlie Frye

Damon Huard

Trent Green

Josh McCown

Jeff Garcia

are that much better than Harrington?

I'm not suggesting that Harrington is a worthy starter every week, or that he's a great #2, but if you wait to back up your QB what do you really have to choose from?

In a 12-team league if everyone rosters 2 QBs, there will be 8 left out there. Top of that list for me is Harrington and Culpepper.

I'd wager a good amount of money that Harrington finishes ahead of Jackson, Frye, Huard, Green, McCown and Garcia in FF ppg, and in my mind guys like Leftwich, McNair and Campbell too.

Aaronstory said:
Family Matters said:
Is there a "what are you smoking?" emoticon?The Atlanta WRs are wildly inconsistent. Every year they'd put together nice games under Vick. Then everyone would start talking about how its all coming together, then they'd all start sucking again. It wasn't just Vick. Did you see that drop Roddy White had in the endzone? Hit him right in the hands. Classic Roddy White.Nothing has changed except they've brought in a worse QB than Vick. Yes they will pass more, but they won't be any more good at it. Well they did add a solid vet in Joe Horn, which is something Vick never had in Atlanta.Don't let one pre-season half game cloud the common sense you acquired about Joey over his 5 year career. Guys don't just change overnight. If he couldn't get it done with better WRs, why would he suddenly do it now?
So you think Vick wasn't problem with the passing game? It's the coaches and WR's? Yet the back up QB's seemed to be more sucessful passing than Vick. Now Harrington has shown flashes in all 3 preseason games and you still think Vick isn't the problem. So maybe we should check back after 8 games and see where things stand. I feel Harrington will be much more effective passing than Vick. His comp %, yardsage, YPA and rating will all be better than Vick's best year. The WR's will look much better as well. Then you'll see what we've been trying to say for several years now.BTW-2 important comments. The reason they will pass more is because Vick refused to be patient and would chose to run the ball rather pass it. As for WR drops, every WR has the problem once in a while. In fact, TO is one of the worst. Yet Romo has put up some pretty good numbers. Hasselbeck had the worst WR drops a couple of years ago and still managed a top 8 season IIRC. So it's just an excuse when you don't want to hold the QB responsible. Check back after week 8 and let's take another look. If I'm out of my mind then feel free to point it out. Otherwise let's make sure we know where the accountability lies.
Both above and in your original post you make valid points, but to say, as your headline does, that after three meaningless games it has been 'proved' that Vick was the problem, without ever seeing Vick in the new offense, is absurd.
Vick has yet to be an effective passer. It won't matter what offense he's in. He's proven he's not good and he's stated he's runner first and will always be. No reason to think he's willing to be anything different.Harrington is not being held out to be the savior. But I do think he'll be a much better passer than Vick. So far that's all I've said. I can see him reaching upwards of QB 15 but probably a little lower. But that's a big improvement over what Vick has done.

[does of reality]Joey Harrington is a recipe for disaster. I think Atlanta has their worst season yet from a W-L perspective.

Joey may throw for more yardage and touchdowns than Vick, but that doesn't make him a better passer... Just wait for the poorly thrown deep balls you will start seeing sometime around the 2nd quarter in week 1. Just wait for Joey to roll out and throw the ball out of bounds after 3 seconds. Just wait for him to throw a bullet, right to the other team's SS. Harrington could throw for 3,500+ just as easily as he could throw for 2,500+ in 2007. He has no accuracy. Without accuracy in the NFL, you cannot succeed. How well Joey does from a fantasy perspective just depends on how much his coach, and maybe even the front office, wants to put the ball in his hands and call passing plays. Your yardage points will vary, but Harrington should throw for more INTs than TDs this season as well. [/dose of reality]

Users who are viewing this thread