Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Just joined a league with a couple IDP's

I just joined a league that has me squaring off against some of the local radio and newspaper talent. I'm looking forward to this as radio and newspaper people are notoriously bad at FFB. The problem is that this league has a couple of IDP players and I have never done IDP's so I need some help. Here's the rules:

Scoring Type Head-to-Head

Divisions No

Playoffs Week 15 and 16 (4 teams)

Max Teams 14

League Start Week 1

Can't Cut List Yahoo! Sports

Max Moves 10

Max Trades No maximum

Trade Reject Time 1 day

Trade End Date November 16, 2007

Trade Review Commissioner

Waiver Time 2 days

Waiver Type Continual rolling list

Sun - Tue Waivers No

Post Draft Players Follow Waiver Rules

Quarterback (QB) 2

Wide Receiver (WR) 3

Runningback (RB) 2

Tight End (TE) 2

Wide Receiver/Tight End (W/T) 0

Wide Receiver/Runningback (W/R) 0

Kickers (K) 2

Defensive Teams (DEF) 2

Defensive Player (D) 2

Defensive Lineman (DL) 0

Defensive Back (DB) 0

Bench (BN) 2

And here's the scoring:

Passing Touchdowns 4 Points

Interceptions -1 Points

Passing Yards 25 Yards = 1 Point

Rushing Touchdowns 6 Points

Rushing Yards 10 Yards = 1 Point

Reception Touchdowns 6 Points

Reception Yards 10 Yards = 1 Point

Return Touchdowns 6 Points

Offensive Fumble Return TD 6 Points

2-Point Conversions 2 Points

Fumbles Lost -2 Points

Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3 Points

Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3 Points

Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3 Points

Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4 Points

Field Goals 50+ Yards 5 Points

Point After Attempt Made 1 Points

Points Allowed 0 points 10 Points

Points Allowed 1-6 points 7 Points

Points Allowed 7-13 points 4 Points

Points Allowed 14-20 points 1 Points

Points Allowed 21-27 points 0 Points

Points Allowed 28-34 points -1 Points

Points Allowed 35+ points -4 Points

Sack 1 Points

Interception 2 Points

Fumble Recovery 2 Points

Touchdown 6 Points

Safety 2 Points

Block Kick 2 Points

Tackle Solo .5 Points

Sack 1 Points

Interception 1 Points

Fumble Force 1 Points

Fumble Recovery 1 Points

Touchdown 6 Points

Safety 2 Points

Fractional Points Yes

Negative Points Yes

14 team league, so where do I target Defensive players? What round do I start grabbing Defensive players? What kind of scoring can I expect from a defensive player? It's not like I'm drafting an entire Defense a player at a time, but I do have two roster spots for IDP's.....Any help is greatly appreciated....

Welcome to IDP. My first reaction is that the defensive scoring system is extremely biased towards offensive players and not generous at all towards defensive players. For example, for the 10th best WR in the league you probably expect something like 80-1000-8 or so, which means 9.25 pts per week on average. The 24th best WR probably gets 6-7 pts per week so a dropoff of a few points. The 10th best defensive player would probably be a LB (they score more than DLs and DBs in almost any scoring system) and you can expect about 100 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 1 INT = 3.625 pts per week. The difference between having the top LB or the 24th best LB is peanuts compared to the WR position. RBs and WRs will be 100 times more valuable in your scoring system. I have not seen a league that rewards defensive players so little (not even a full point for tackles, nothing for assists, and big plays only one point?).

I recommend you don't touch defensive players until the end, and stack up at other positions instead.

Welcome to IDP. My first reaction is that the defensive scoring system is extremely biased towards offensive players and not generous at all towards defensive players. For example, for the 10th best WR in the league you probably expect something like 80-1000-8 or so, which means 9.25 pts per week on average. The 24th best WR probably gets 6-7 pts per week so a dropoff of a few points. The 10th best defensive player would probably be a LB (they score more than DLs and DBs in almost any scoring system) and you can expect about 100 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 1 INT = 3.625 pts per week. The difference between having the top LB or the 24th best LB is peanuts compared to the WR position. RBs and WRs will be 100 times more valuable in your scoring system. I have not seen a league that rewards defensive players so little (not even a full point for tackles, nothing for assists, and big plays only one point?).I recommend you don't touch defensive players until the end, and stack up at other positions instead.

I agree. Based on the IDP scoring, it seems that ints are weighted heavily as opposed to sacks or tackles - so go after guys like Rhonde Barber or Antoine Winfield as opposed to normal IDP studs like DeMeco Ryans, Keith Bulluck, etc. Just my opinion....

Welcome to IDP. My first reaction is that the defensive scoring system is extremely biased towards offensive players and not generous at all towards defensive players. For example, for the 10th best WR in the league you probably expect something like 80-1000-8 or so, which means 9.25 pts per week on average. The 24th best WR probably gets 6-7 pts per week so a dropoff of a few points. The 10th best defensive player would probably be a LB (they score more than DLs and DBs in almost any scoring system) and you can expect about 100 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 1 INT = 3.625 pts per week. The difference between having the top LB or the 24th best LB is peanuts compared to the WR position. RBs and WRs will be 100 times more valuable in your scoring system. I have not seen a league that rewards defensive players so little (not even a full point for tackles, nothing for assists, and big plays only one point?).I recommend you don't touch defensive players until the end, and stack up at other positions instead.

This is exactly what I need to hear. I have no idea how these guys will score so I didn't know if I needed to drop a 5th round pick on a London Fletcher because he can get me 12 points a week....

With your league only starting 2 IDPs per week, you can wait until near the end and get yours. Take high tackle LBs as a priority...and you can find some who are not a well known stud defensive player, but who are great fantasy players. Your scoring for IDPs is really minimal, so wait until near the end and get a couple who put up high tackle numbers.

Archived