What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cheap or Frugal #12 (1 Viewer)

Cheap or Frugal?

• Cheap

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Frugal

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

The Noid

Avoid me!
A couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that a traditional burial was a waste of money. All that money on a casket, a plot, a headstone, etc. Might as well bury a sack in the ground with $25,000 in cash. So my dying wish is for my wife/children/family to rent a casket for the viewing, have me cremated and my remains put in a modest urn or box. That gives my survivors a lot more money to enjoy when I’m gone or more to use to pay off any debt in my estate.

It also serves the purpose of making it more likely I won’t be as forgotten as a stiff in a graveyard that people visit once or twice a year for a couple years and then never again. It’s hard not to remember or talk about grandpop when he’s on the top shelf of your closet or passed down from generation to generation because no one wants to throw him in the trash.

Cheap or Frugal?

Previous Cheap or Frugal polls:

#1: Eating yogurt without a spoon (Purged)

#2: Saving brown bags for lunch

#3: Not using sandwich bags for chips

#4: Re-using paper towels/napkins

#5: Least Expensive House, Most Expensive Block

#6: Using a toothpaste squeezer

#7: Cutting OJ with water

#8: Grinding my own meat

#9: Not using a Dixie Cup

#10: Rain Checks

#11: Donating for Discounts

:rolleyes:

I'll be cremated.. Not based on cost, just based on what I want.

In your case I guess Frugal?? ;)

Never understood why people save the remains. I would think having them spread somewhere meaningful would be more popular.

My survivors have been instructed to burn my body on a funeral pyre and stage a series of sporting contests in my honor.

I want to be cremated. I want whatever buddies I still have (or kids) to scatter my ashes down the Vegas strip.

This seems like the way to go to me. But I'm not having anyone be forced to hold onto my remains. They can toss them into the sea, on a mountain or whatever floats their boat. It's not like I have use for the body anymore.

I always find these somewhat entertaining so I'm glad to see that a severly diminishing voter turnout has not deterred you from posting more of them.

My survivors have been instructed to burn my body on a funeral pyre and stage a series of sporting contests in my honor.
Mine's pretty similar....only they've been instructed to build a Viking Longship, place my body on a funeral pyre and launch it out to sea.

Never understood why people save the remains. I would think having them spread somewhere meaningful would be more popular.
I agree. On a related note, my wife's grandmother plans to be spread in the same rose garden as her late husband and has instructed the family to do so. I'm just not sure she informed the new owners of her house of these plans when she sold it and moved 500 or so miles away.

A couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that a traditional burial was a waste of money. All that money on a casket, a plot, a headstone, etc. Might as well bury a sack in the ground with $25,000 in cash. So my dying wish is for my wife/children/family to rent a casket for the viewing, have me cremated and my remains put in a modest urn or box. That gives my survivors a lot more money to enjoy when I’m gone or more to use to pay off any debt in my estate.
If you're going the cheap route, why even bother renting a casket?

If you're going the cheap route, why even bother renting a casket?
I still see the value in having a viewing. But if they can prop me up in an arm chair or something at the funeral home, I wouldn't have a problem with that. If I die in a horrific car accident or something, then I thiink we could forgo the casket and just set the remains out with a big poseter-sized picture of my face on an easel.

Wife has been told she is welcome to do whatever she wants with my ashes.. Spread them over my favorite fishing spot in Canada, Have them buried in the back yard, use them for kitty litter :tumbleweed: What do I care what she does with them.. I won't still be in there... at least I hope not :goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to spend the casket money on a couple kegs of beer and an old school New Orleans band ( complete with an old black guy who scats) to play at the wake.

David Cross had a great stand up bit about what he wants done with his body after he dies.

It kind of sums up my thoughts though. I don't really care. I would donate my body to science, but I doubt I get around to making that happen.

I have to be honest..I could care less if I am buried, burned, chopped up for dog food, or left to be eaten by wild pigs.

I will never remember. No one does.

I was kind of hoping to be put in a canoe that runs over a massive waterfall, Lord of the Rings style.

But that might be costly.

I've told anyone that cares (which is one person really) that I don't give a #### what you do with my body. You can drag it out into the woods. I'll be dead so I won't give a ####. I'd prefer I not die at all, but I wasn't exactly given a choice here.

Looking at cremation as well if I'm not somehow forwarned...my parents both were cremated and their ashes spread.

I still see the value in having a viewing. But if they can prop me up in an arm chair or something at the funeral home, I wouldn't have a problem with that. If I die in a horrific car accident or something, then I thiink we could forgo the casket and just set the remains out with a big poseter-sized picture of my face on an easel.
Casket or not I think you will have to pay for embalming if you decide to have a viewing.

I was kind of hoping to be put in a canoe that runs over a massive waterfall, Lord of the Rings style.

But that might be costly.
For years I've had the goal of moving back to the coast, intending to sail and live along the inland waterway between Norfolk and the Keys. Given that opportunity I've told family that when the time comes I would simply take that sailboat and head out due east as far as fortune might take me.

:shark:

Users who are viewing this thread