What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TO Fined (1 Viewer)

wombat104

Footballguy
Does anyone else think the NFL has gone too far with the TD celebrations? I am not a TO lover or hater, I thought what he did was very topical and creative. I agree excessive over the top celebrations that taunt the opponent have no place but can't we see a little fun and creativity?

Edit for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else think the NFL has gone too far with the TD celebrations? I am not a TO lover or hater, I thought what he did was very topical and creative. I agree excessive over the top celebrations that taunt the opponent have no place but can't we see a little fun and creativity?Edit for spelling
The rules specifically state you can't use the ball as a prop. He did.I'm pretty sure he knew this was coming...so I'm thinking it's not a big deal.

It's a no brainer, he got nailed for it last year with his "topical" nap on the ball in the end zone. They fined him more this time precisely because he did it last year. They were ahead enough to handle the 15 yard penalty but if he does it in a tight game he could cost his team. He says he might apeal it but there's no reason to, it's pretty cut and dry. But really, what's 7500 bucks to TO?

The TO move was 100 x better than that lame Chad - HOF jacket thing. How come Chad hardly ever gets penalized for stuff thats way more over the top (albeit not as good) then TO?

The thing is I don't think he got penalized for that celebration. I don't remember seeing a flag. He got penalized 5 yds for barely spiking the ball after a catch meanwhile a NE receiver did the same thing without a flag. That new penalty is riddiculous and way to open to interpetation.

There should be no rules about endzone celebration as long as your not taunting the other team. That was the best celebration I've seen in a loooong time and the best part was Owens' response to the fine..."I'm just like Belichick, I misinterpreted the rules"

The TO move was 100 x better than that lame Chad - HOF jacket thing. How come Chad hardly ever gets penalized for stuff thats way more over the top (albeit not as good) then TO?The thing is I don't think he got penalized for that celebration. I don't remember seeing a flag. He got penalized 5 yds for barely spiking the ball after a catch meanwhile a NE receiver did the same thing without a flag. That new penalty is riddiculous and way to open to interpetation.
I didn't see a flag during the game either but they did flag him for it. It just never showed up on the score bar. And the reason To got fined is because he did it in the end zone, whereas Chad went to the sidelines to do it. The spiking foul is stupid and being horribly enforced. NE did it twice with no flag, and some players got flags for little more than flipping the ball down. Maybe they need a couple of weeks to get enough examples for the refs to figure out what is and isn't a penalty but I wish they would not call it at all until they decide unledd there's a really blatant spike, like Shockey's. But I agree, that rule is flat out dumb.

I thought it was actually pretty funny under the circumstances, and then his comments about a "rule misinterpretation" had me :moneybag:

The TO move was 100 x better than that lame Chad - HOF jacket thing. How come Chad hardly ever gets penalized for stuff thats way more over the top (albeit not as good) then TO?
Because Johnson usually does his celebrations within the rules. Owens did not in this case. Big deal. He will pay the fine and be done with it. This is a non-story.

There should be no rules about endzone celebration as long as your not taunting the other team.
:moneybag: The entertainment value of football is way down because of the lack of endzone celebration and the fining for those cocky enough to defy the rules.It's not the Olympics. It's Football Inc. BRING BACK THE ICKEY SHUFFLE!

Because Johnson usually does his celebrations within the rules. Owens did not in this case. Big deal. He will pay the fine and be done with it. This is a non-story.
would have been just as good without the ball

There should be no rules about endzone celebration as long as your not taunting the other team. That was the best celebration I've seen in a loooong time and the best part was Owens' response to the fine..."I'm just like Belichick, I misinterpreted the rules"
I personally think the end zone celebrations are not only ridiculously stupid and selfish but when people say they are taking the fun out of the game by not letting them do it is even more ridiculous. My excitement and fun level peaks when the player crosses the goal line, what they do after is neither fun nor exciting. If it were my choice to make a rule I'd say you can only do a celebration in the endzone if you have at least 3 teammates in on it with you, because I'd rather see the TEAM celebrate a TD rather than just the last guy to touch the ball. And in TDs less than 20 yards long the celebration would have to include at least one lineman. I can't believe all these primadonna egomaniacs put their body through physical fitness regimens that would kill half of us and go through all the pain and practice to be the best and they're whining that they can't putt the ball with a pylon. The TD is the excitement and reward, not the stupid celebration after. Take it to the sidelines or bring in your teammates with you to celebrate. The best celebrations I see is where the guy gets rid of the ball (a spike, toss into the stands, flip it to the ref) and then runs to his teammates for a group hug.

I personally think the end zone celebrations are not only ridiculously stupid and selfish but when people say they are taking the fun out of the game by not letting them do it is even more ridiculous. My excitement and fun level peaks when the player crosses the goal line, what they do after is neither fun nor exciting. If it were my choice to make a rule I'd say you can only do a celebration in the endzone if you have at least 3 teammates in on it with you, because I'd rather see the TEAM celebrate a TD rather than just the last guy to touch the ball. And in TDs less than 20 yards long the celebration would have to include at least one lineman. I can't believe all these primadonna egomaniacs put their body through physical fitness regimens that would kill half of us and go through all the pain and practice to be the best and they're whining that they can't putt the ball with a pylon. The TD is the excitement and reward, not the stupid celebration after. Take it to the sidelines or bring in your teammates with you to celebrate. The best celebrations I see is where the guy gets rid of the ball (a spike, toss into the stands, flip it to the ref) and then runs to his teammates for a group hug.
:lmao: I agree the fines and flags have all gone overboard. But they are a product of the celebrations going overboard. Whether it's the Sharpe, Cellphone, or HOF jacket. I enjoyed the Icky Shuffle or the Electric Slide. The problem is the celebrations can slow down the game. Especially when the umpires are waiting to get the ball back. On the flip side, Barry Sanders had the best endzone celebration! Act like you've been there before!

On ESPN's 1st and Ten one of the guys red the celebration rule and "on the sidelines" is included in the rule. I was unaware of that and quite frankly if that's true then they should've hit CJ with a fine and penalty. Gonna have to look into it a little more.

I personally like it when they set the ball down nicely then leap into the fans. Especially at Lambeau! :thumbup:

Anyone have a direct link to the official rules on celebrations? I can't find them on the NFL.com/rulebook site.

I didn't see him saying that he misinterpreted the rules, but if he did, I think it's awesomeDo anyone have a link to the video or transcript of it?

It seems to me like the NFL commission is really dulling down the sport. They are also making everything about money. Basically, they figure out a way that a fine solves any problems that they see in the league.

I think there should only be a fine if the TD celebration isn't good/funny. I get to be the judge of what's good and what isn't. The Joe Horn cell phone thing: 10k fine and 15 yard penalty. TO napping on the ball: no fine.

I remember hearing a story about the Wayans family, when they were growing up their parents let them make any jokes they wanted, no holds barred. The only rule is that they had to be funny, if it wasn't funny or clever, they got in trouble. The nfl should have a similar policy for end zone celebrations.

I was over on http://www.terrellowens.com/ looking for the quote about the "rule misinterpretation" (couldn't find anything). In TOs forums, he has a "ladies only" section... damn this guy makes me laugh.
Cowboys Blog
T.O. informed us that he was fined "a good chunk of money" for his classic touchdown celebration against the Dolphins.

Sheriff Goodell got into T.O.'s pocket for violating the sacred rule against using the ball as a prop.

"I'm like Belichick," he said. "I misinterpreted the rules."

That, of course, was another good-natured jab at the Spygate controversy. Too bad the commish and his crew can't loosen up a little bit.

"I was just having fun," T.O. said. "You can't do nothing anymore."

When you score TDs like Owens does, you do any kind of celebration you want. Money is not an issue. And if I had TO on my team, I would not hesitate to take a TD every game with a 15 yard penalty attached to it, because I AM getting that TD.

Users who are viewing this thread