What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (3 Viewers)

Whisenhunt = :moneybag:
This.

Gone are the 7 step drops, and the overreliance on the deep throw that was getting Rivers sacked all the time, and gone are the late throws over the middle into traffic for Int's. In are the quick throws and slants and spreading the ball around to all the field. Whisenhunt has reversed the damage that Norv did to Rivers career.

Year Age Comp Att Comp% Yds TD TD% INT INT% SCK SCK% NY/A 2006 25 284 460 61.7% 3388 22 4.8% 9 2.0% 27 5.5% 6.66 2007 26 277 460 60.2% 3152 21 4.6% 15 3.3% 22 4.6% 6.20 2008 27 312 478 65.3% 4009 34 7.1% 11 2.3% 25 5.0% 7.67 2009 28 317 486 65.2% 4254 28 5.8% 9 1.9% 25 4.9% 8.00 2010 29 357 541 66.0% 4710 30 5.5% 13 2.4% 38 6.6% 7.74 2011 30 366 582 62.9% 4624 27 4.6% 20 3.4% 30 4.9% 7.23 2012 31 338 527 64.1% 3606 26 4.9% 15 2.8% 49 8.5% 5.722013 32 50 76 65.8% 614 7 9.2% 1 1.3% 3 3.8% 7.54 Looking at this...

Rivers' demise was always overblown -- his #s in 2011 and 2012 were off the 2008-2010 levels, but still OK. Except for last year's sack rate, which killed the passing game's efficiency. But it was hard to know if he could bounce back at 32.

He's obviously not going to sustain this year's TD and INT rates, but there's a lot of reason for optimism that his completion percentage has bounced back and his sack rate has declined. And between the Texans (good) and the Eagles (bad bad) you'd think that the overall SOS so far has been averageish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having almost all of my teams being completely devastated by injuries - already... I'm thankful Rivers is my backup in nearly every league.

I don't think anyone really knew what to expect from McCoy. Being the OC for Peyton Manning really shows nothing.

The short snappy pass game has helped Mathews, it's helped Gates and then there's Royal, who's a vet, a real pro, dependable. Go back and look at the very nice things being said about him when he was taking off with Denver a few years ago, talent's there to do things. It seems someone like McCoy was wise enough to see it and do it. Floyd was doing really well in the 1st half. The only mystery is what happened to Brown.

Does anyone even remember what kind of QB Rivers was before Norv got a hold of him? This offense will continue to grow.

King Dunlap? I don't know this Harris, but he must be about the worst player ever.
Yeah, I kind of thought the fact Dunlap had to play was one of the biggest reasons the PHI OL was a disaster last year and their season completely imploded.
Dunlap graded out pretty well at ProFootballFocus last year -- an overall grade of +6.6 (and a pass-blocking grade of +11.5). The OL on Philly who were disastrous were Dennis Kelly (-17.9) and Demetress Bell (-24.5).

Mike Harris graded out at an astounding -43.4, worst in the league (not just among starters, but worst in the league, period).
The grade is surprising to me, but regardless, the line did a really good job yesterday.

Eagles D is still a, ahem, "work in progress", but the Chargers were absolutely unstoppable, except when they killed themselves with fumbles. The Eagles' pass coverage was not totally terrible (though about half of their strategy seemed to be to grab the receivers' jerseys), but the routes were crisp and Rivers delivered the ball in the perfect spot nearly every time.

wdcrob said:
Year Age Comp Att Comp% Yds TD TD% INT INT% SCK SCK% NY/A 2006 25 284 460 61.7% 3388 22 4.8% 9 2.0% 27 5.5% 6.66 2007 26 277 460 60.2% 3152 21 4.6% 15 3.3% 22 4.6% 6.20 2008 27 312 478 65.3% 4009 34 7.1% 11 2.3% 25 5.0% 7.67 2009 28 317 486 65.2% 4254 28 5.8% 9 1.9% 25 4.9% 8.00 2010 29 357 541 66.0% 4710 30 5.5% 13 2.4% 38 6.6% 7.74 2011 30 366 582 62.9% 4624 27 4.6% 20 3.4% 30 4.9% 7.23 2012 31 338 527 64.1% 3606 26 4.9% 15 2.8% 49 8.5% 5.722013 32 50 76 65.8% 614 7 9.2% 1 1.3% 3 3.8% 7.54 Looking at this...

Rivers' demise was always overblown -- his #s in 2011 and 2012 were off the 2008-2010 levels, but still OK. Except for last year's sack rate, which killed the passing game's efficiency. But it was hard to know if he could bounce back at 32.

He's obviously not going to sustain this year's TD and INT rates, but there's a lot of reason for optimism that his completion percentage has bounced back and his sack rate has declined. And between the Texans (good) and the Eagles (bad bad) you'd think that the overall SOS so far has been averageish.
Those INTs may end up being more around the '06-'10 levels. This new offense doesn't have Rivers forcing so many passes upfield. And the line, though still not that great, has improved at least over last year, which should result in less sacks. Better protection combined with a shorter time holding the ball due to the emphasis on the short game should eliminate some of those INTs.

The thread title of this should be changed from "Phillip Rivers is Terrible" to "Norv Turner is Terrible". Rivers was fine and dandy the whole time, it was Norv who turned him into a pumpkin.

The thread title of this should be changed from "Phillip Rivers is Terrible" to "Norv Turner is Terrible". Rivers was fine and dandy the whole time, it was Norv who turned him into a pumpkin.
Norv has moved on to killing Trich
:( Unforunately yes.

Signed,

Trent Richardson owner
Mathews owners have no sympathy. Richardson still has 100% of the RB carries and 70% of the RB receptions. Obviously he'll also get the goal line carries, too. That is much better than the crap Norv pulled with Mathews in SD.

I just hope Mathews can get in on this passing production somehow. It blows he has to come off on passing downs and hurry up offense.

Rivers had some great years with Norv. The OL has been devastated by injury the last couple of years, that's what killed Rivers.

Anyone still believe Rivers is better than Manning or Ben?
Of the group I would take Ben, but all three have played very, very well over their career.

More importantly though I think anyone trying to imply that "______ is terrible" = worse than Eli/Ben are exposing their own ignorance. If the litmus test for being "TERRIBLE" is winning multiple super bowl rings then what % of the NFL QB's are terrible?

Rivers: 105/142 (73.9%), 1200 yards, 11 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Manning's is: 112/156 (71.9%), 1470 yards, 16 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Not too shabby considering Rivers rag tag group of receivers and by most accounts the consensus worst preseason O line ranking.

Four weeks is good enough for me. He will begin to sniff my starting line-up.

Absolutely great job with that OLine and those receivers.

I too have had him on my bench each week. I drafted him as qb2 behind Griffin. Now that a quarter of t season has been played, time for an adjustment.

Imma try to move Romo as it's annoying I keep losing while having surplus QB points on my bench. Plus Bill Callahan bugs anyway.

Thank god I had no choice but to start him the last couple weeks.

I'm not sure what the braintrust there had done, but given the personnel it's coach of the year material IMO.

How Rivers and Gates can both look so past it the last couple years and look like they're 25 again this year at 31 and 33 years old is a mystery.

I'm going to start Rivers or at least consider him seriously from here on out. I benched him for Brady, and mostly because I couldn't figure why he was ranked so low in the weekly rankings. I figured at home against a powerful offense, shootout right? I went against my gut and lost out on about 8 points I could have used tonight in a tight battle.

Thank god I had no choice but to start him the last couple weeks.

I'm not sure what the braintrust there had done, but given the personnel it's coach of the year material IMO.

How Rivers and Gates can both look so past it the last couple years and look like they're 25 again this year at 31 and 33 years old is a mystery.
Gates is actually healthy, and instead of shoe horning players into system (NORV), looks like McCoy n Whiz have taylored the offense to players strengths - woodhead, royal making nice contributions.

I was going to start him this week but noticed Dodds, Bloom and Tremley all had Bradford ahead of him so I changed my lineup last minute thinking maybe they were onto something with all the 49er players that were out. Last time I make that mistake. Rivers is permanently my #1 unless he loses a limb.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/philip-rivers-revival-real-sustainable-175120651--nfl.html

Good write up by Yahoo here.

Were it not for the unprecedented silliness that Peyton Manning and the Broncos have unleashed in the opening weeks, then Philip Rivers' rebirth would probably be the dominant story in the NFL. Rivers isn't merely having a bounce-back year. Instead, he's playing at a level few quarterbacks have ever sustained.

As of this writing, Rivers ranks second in the NFL — behind only Manning — in QB-rating (118.8), completion percentage (73.9) and touchdown passes (11). He's also fifth in yards-per-attempt (8.44) and seventh in total passing yards (1199).

But you already know this stuff if you're an attentive fantasy manager. (We'll dig deeper in a moment.) Rivers has been undeniably great in our game, a top-five QB in basically all formats. He's had only one dud fantasy performance so far, and he actually went 20-for-24 that day with a TD pass and zero turnovers. Even his bad day was good.

As a team, the Chargers are currently third in yards-per drive (38.9) and second in points-per-drive (2.57) per Football Outsiders, so the offense has been a fantasy buffet. Antonio Gates ranks as a top-three fantasy tight end, Eddie Royal has caught five TD passes, and Ryan Mathews and Danny Woodhead both rate as RB2s, year-to-date. Also, rookie wideout Keenan Allen absolutely feasted on Dallas corner Morris Claiborne in Week 4 (five catches on six targets, 80 yards), so he's an emerging threat. Vincent Brown hasn't yet had a monster day, but it's coming; he caught seven balls on nine targets against the Cowboys.

All of this, of course, has been made possible by the near-flawless play of Rivers, directing a Mike McCoy-Ken Whisenhunt offense that clearly suits San Diego's personnel. Here are a few of my favorite beneath-the-surface Rivers stats from the season's first four weeks, via Pro Football Focus (indispensable resource):

• His average time-to-throw this year is just 2.39 seconds, third-quickest in the league. I can think of no better way to assist an O-line. Last year, under Norv Turner, Rivers was at 2.79 seconds;

• On pass attempts where Rivers releases the ball in 2.5 seconds or less, he's completed a ridiculous 74 of 99 throws. But you can't dismiss him as a dink-and-dunk passer, because...

• Rivers has been one of the league's most accurate passers on deep balls, throws 20-plus yards downfield. He's 8-for-17 with two TDs on deep attempts (plus his receivers have dropped a pair of long strikes);

• When pressured this year, Rivers has also been stellar. He's completed 22 of 36 throws under pressure, a better completion rate than every NFL quarterback except Peyton.

So the man is really doing lots of things well. The burning fantasy question, obviously, is whether Rivers can continue at anything close to this pace. He surely has to slow down at some point, right?

Well, there are plenty of reasons for continued optimism. First among these is the player's history; Rivers has been exceptional in prior years, not simply adequate. We're talking about a four-time Pro Bowl quarterback, a guy who led the league in passing yards just three seasons ago (4710). He has year-to-year continuity with most of the skill players in his offense, too.

And then there's this year's system, which has been (among other things) remarkably crisp. It's not just that Rivers is releasing throws quickly, but he gets his team to the line of scrimmage with haste, allowing time to survey and direct. Perhaps Rivers isn't quite at Manning's level as a pre-snap conductor, but he's no scrub. Note, for example, the work he did at the line on this 11-yard Royal touchdown.

Fantasy-wise, you have to appreciate the shootout potential offered by the Chargers on a weekly basis. This team still hasn't held an opponent to less than 20 points. San Diego's D ranks 30th in the NFL in yards-allowed (432.3 YPG) and 21st in points (25.5). Rivers won't often downshift to drain-the-clock mode late in games. The Chargers' schedule isn't exactly loaded with intimidating defenses, either — especially in the near-term. The Bolts' next six opponents are Oakland, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Washington, Denver and Miami; four of those teams rank among the league's 12 most generous in terms of QB fantasy scoring. The only unfriendly opponent on the horizon is Indy, and that's a home game for San Diego.

So, all things considered, I'm inclined to believe that the Rivers resurgence is real and likely to last. Unfortunately, I have zero shares of this player in my fantasy portfolio, and only a small investment in other Chargers (usually Allen, Royal, Brown or Nick Novak). It's early, but I'm guessing this failure to embrace the Bolts will be a major end-of-year regret.

Hes waiting for everyone to really start trusting him again so he can have one of his great multi turnover meltdown games when you need him most. He's not just terrible, hes pure evil

heres to hoping that was more on the former coaching staff and those days are behind him now. I'm leaning on him the rest of the way.

There has never been an NFL player that I have loathed more than Phillip Rivers. Having said that, I play to win.

Adios, RG3. Hello, Mister Rivers.

Puke.

Rivers is back I feel. Mike McCoy is working some magic with him. Just think how much better his numbers might be without ll the WR injuries

Users who are viewing this thread