What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (3 Viewers)

Mccown making it harder and harder to start rivers. Hopefully we got some clarification about cutler before Thursday game
I'm in the same boat, but isn't Cutler playing this week? Will we know by Thursday night whether or not Cutler will play this coming weekend? I'd say probably not.

fantasycurse42 said:
Who is rolling with Rivers against Denver on Thursday?

Who are you playing him over - Thinking about going with him over a Gronkless Brady.
Think I'm going w/ Foles @ MN in the dome vs. the short week @ DEN.
I have the same decision. Been rolling with Foles for awhile now, but was ready to roll with Rivers in what most think will be a shootout. But I have to admit that MIN secondary looks enticing for Foles. Also have Romo who I'm pretty sure I'll bench, but the Rivers/Foles decision is a coin flip.

fantasycurse42 said:

Who are you playing him over - Thinking about going with him over a Gronkless Brady.
I have the same decision. Been rolling with Foles for awhile now, but was ready to roll with Rivers in what most think will be a shootout. But I have to admit that MIN secondary looks enticing for Foles. Also have Romo who I'm pretty sure I'll bench, but the Rivers/Foles decision is a coin flip.
I have Cutler AND McCown....but i cant wait until that mess gets hashed out. If i know McCown is the starter before thursday night then hes in...if not it has to be rivers in a must win shootout

2 things stopping me from starting rivers this week:

1) Thursday night football

2) Rivers didn't do that much last time against Denver at home

I hate tnf too but vegas belives this will be the biggest scoring game of the week for a reason...really don't think you can use the first game to project stats for rivers

I hate tnf too but vegas belives this will be the biggest scoring game of the week for a reason...really don't think you can use the first game to project stats for rivers
As much as I dying to bench Rivers for Brady, I can't get past this... Vegas is smarter than we are.

I'm sticking with Rivers over luck. He's brought me this far and I'm expecting a 42-27 type of game (with SD losing.

250+ and minimum 2 TDs would be my guess. High floor this week.

This smells like a trap game on Thursday. Everything points to a shootout, and then what happens? Defenses rise up or offenses play conservative. I got like 40 to 50 percent of my playoffs lineup in this one game. Rivers may have a great game, but I think I'll reduce some risk and go with Foles. 55 pt O/U? The sharps will take the under.

I'm going to be deciding between rivers and romo
I have them both too. Romo not really a consideration, especially if Rodgers isn't coming back to pressure the Dallas offense to score points. Benching them both for Foles. Rivers more upside and similar floor than Romo.

I have the same duo, and this is an extremely easy decision to make. Rivers floor is likely 300/3. Don't read too much into that last matchup, the Chargers saw how that worked out for them, and will adjust accordingly.

I have the same duo, and this is an extremely easy decision to make. Rivers floor is likely 300/3. Don't read too much into that last matchup, the Chargers saw how that worked out for them, and will adjust accordingly.
:no:

Floor is a lot lower than that. 200/1/1 kinda floor - They only lost by 8 to Denver last game and almost got the ball back at the end of the game, they might like their chances with that kinda game plan, especially on a very short week.... They can't be foolish enough to let Rivers go shoot it out with Manning.

I think its going to be more of SD being down by 3 scores at halftime and Rivers starts chucking against that ho hum secondary in Denver. They'll trade TDs and the Chargers will probably lose by 14 but I'd be very surprised if Rivers doesn't throw 3 TDs this time around.

I just don't see how they change their game plan up... They only lost by one possession to a far more talented offense - I just find it so hard to think they make a huge change to that game plan on a short week.

Another perfectly entertaining thread ruined by all the weekly starting comments. Congrats, Shark Pool. :thumbdown:

(Though Rivers is clearly not terrible, the thread was a good one.)

Another perfectly entertaining thread ruined by all the weekly starting comments. Congrats, Shark Pool. :thumbdown:

Guy, it's week 15 of the fantasy season, the semi-finals for many in FF, and you're complaining about that?? I just don't get it. At this point in the year, with so much on the line, the trajectory of this thread is more than appropriate. Feel free to abstain from reading our posts, or hop back on the thread at the conclusion of the season and we can get back prognosticating his 2014 season

Really? A thread where everyone owns the guy and is struggling with a decision during the semi's - Sorry about that, I guess this conversation belongs in the waiver wire defense thread.

Really? A thread where everyone owns the guy and is struggling with a decision during the semi's - Sorry about that, I guess this conversation belongs in the waiver wire defense thread.
No, it belongs in the Assistant Coach forum. Or at least in a "I'm starting Rivers over___" thread in this forum.

This thread has been in existence for years and it's purpose is not to spend pages of posts talking about starting decisions in 1-2 weeks of one season's fantasy playoffs.

Too bad this forum isn't moderated any more.

No, it belongs in the Assistant Coach forum. Or at least in a "I'm starting Rivers over___" thread in this forum.

This thread has been in existence for years and it's purpose is not to spend pages of posts talking about starting decisions in 1-2 weeks of one season's fantasy playoffs.

Would you like some cheese with your whine? :cry:

did we answer the rivers is terrible question yet?

No, it belongs in the Assistant Coach forum. Or at least in a "I'm starting Rivers over___" thread in this forum.This thread has been in existence for years and it's purpose is not to spend pages of posts talking about starting decisions in 1-2 weeks of one season's fantasy playoffs.

Would you like some cheese with your whine? :cry:
Exactly!!

Isn't the whole point of this thread to discuss Phillip Rivers performance? Sorry if that upsets anyone...

I can't decide if he goes 350/3 or 180/1 this week.

Isn't the whole point of this thread to discuss Phillip Rivers performance? Sorry if that upsets anyone...

I have a playoff semifinal and its between and Rivers and Big Ben. Big Ben's actually outpeformed him over the last batch of games.

Will definitely make my choice at the last minute.

I have a playoff semifinal and its between and Rivers and Big Ben. Big Ben's actually outpeformed him over the last batch of games.

I hate these Thursday games.. They only lost by 8 at home, little preparation time, & going on the road... I just don't know how much they change the game plan up.

Rivers is top 4 on the season and top 4 over the last 3 weeks. Only Dallas, Jax, Minny and Oakland give up more points to QBs than Denver.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the poor outing in his last game against them he'd be in a must start situation.

I hate these Thursday games.. They only lost by 8 at home, little preparation time, & going on the road... I just don't know how much they change the game plan up.
Not sure what your options are but mine is andrew luck. Luck has only had 1 good game in the last 5 and his offense is fairly stinky. Hou Is a bad team with a horrible record but they still have a decent defense. They just find ways to lose games. ..

Rivers has been as consistent as anyone and may be forced to throw more than usual on a bad denver def... that's my thinking anyway. Who is your other option?

I don't think they will, at least until they get behind by a couple of TDs in the mid 3rd or later. I think McCoy will try to keep Manning off the field with ball control as long as he can. Even with that I'd expect Rivers to have 200+ and a TD or two, minimum. They did score 4 times last time, the problem was that 2 of them were field goals, plus another missed FGA. Field goals are basically a waste of time against this Denver team - I hope McCoy has learned that. If they can convert more of the red zone opportunities to TDs instead of FGAs, Rivers owners should be happy. Doesn't sound like weather will be a problem either.

And no opposing qb has put up big numbers against the broncos in Denver. I'm officially lowering my expectations for rivers this week (until Thursday night).

Last edited by a moderator:

And no opposing qb has put up big numbers against the broncos in Denver. I'm officially lowering my expectations for rivers this week (until Thursday night).
Just looked over his numbers too - he hasn't had back to back solid weeks since weeks 4-5...

I can go Rivers in both my semis or Foles in one. I am thinking of starting each, I think both are equal and I'd like to mitigate some risk.
I'm in the same boat, and have been hemming and hawing on this decision all week. I'm back to Rivers for now, but I think you should start Rivers if you feel you need his upside to win your week (i.e. you are the underdog), and you start Foles if you are playing it safe. Good luck.

I can go Rivers in both my semis or Foles in one. I am thinking of starting each, I think both are equal and I'd like to mitigate some risk.
I'm in the same boat, and have been hemming and hawing on this decision all week. I'm back to Rivers for now, but I think you should start Rivers if you feel you need his upside to win your week (i.e. you are the underdog), and you start Foles if you are playing it safe. Good luck.
I hear you but you should just start the guy you think is going to score the most points. Eagles should blowout min. They might not need to throw much. Odds are good rivers will have to throw. Rivers is the number 3 scoring qb behind peyton and brees in my league. I am starting him over luck

I think you'd be a lunatic to start rivers over foles vs minny and I think rivers is a good play this week.
call me loony, but I like Rivers more, but then again I have 4 other players going tonight. I want to mitigate risk. I'm the favorite for this weeks match, and I don't want to have that many eggs in one basket. if it's a high scoring game, I'll have to miss out on Rivers stats. but if the game is an anomoly and for some reason a defensive struggle, I'm not too highly invested. Foles it is.

I'm Rivers or Newton, leaning towards Rivers.
I'm in the same boat, but I think I'm going Cam.

If Rivers goes off, at least you know Cam has the potential (and the matchup) to go off as well. If Rivers puts up a mediocre performance (like the last time they played DEN @ SD), then you won't have to stew for the next 3 days until Sunday. :lol:

Also, in my situation, I've got Keenan and possibly Mathews going tonight, so I don't want to be too heavily vested in SD for this semi-final matchup.

Good luck either way!

I'm Rivers or Newton, leaning towards Rivers.
I'm in the same boat, but I think I'm going Cam.

If Rivers goes off, at least you know Cam has the potential (and the matchup) to go off as well. If Rivers puts up a mediocre performance (like the last time they played DEN @ SD), then you won't have to stew for the next 3 days until Sunday. :lol:

Also, in my situation, I've got Keenan and possibly Mathews going tonight, so I don't want to be too heavily vested in SD for this semi-final matchup.

Good luck either way!
Part of my reasoning is I'm facing Cam in my other league and don't want to cheer and boo for all things Newton. Go big or go home!

Likely going Rivers over Newton.

As much as i can't stand Rivers, I'm going with him over Cutler now that McCown is out. Easy decision I know, but I like seeing Rivers fail.

Users who are viewing this thread