What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (5 Viewers)

Had high hopes for this guy this season -- waited late to draft a QB and he was the best one available. Oh woe is me. He seems to make poor decisions, particularly in the red zone, and he has no one to throw to but Gates and occassionally LT. Rivers may be dropped for Harrington this week. :goodposting: :screwed:
Harrington? Rivers really hit a low there.

:goodposting:

I found this quote interesting:

On Wednesday afternoons in San Diego, the offense meets as a whole to go over blitz packages for the next opponent. Blitz day is standard across the league: The coaching staff presents a film cutup of the opponent’s blitzes and teaches it to the team.

In San Diego, Rivers makes the cutup himself and teaches it to the offense, complete with his notes on how he might audible in a given situation.

“He’s running that show on Wednesday, and I don’t think more than one or two quarterbacks in the NFL do that, probably Peyton Manning and Philip,” says Chargers veteran center Nick Hardwick, now on injured reserve. “Because he has that ability and that level of input in this offense with these coaches, you’re seeing some special things on the field.”

Along with guiding a go-ahead touchdown drive, he also secured his fifth straight game with at least a quarterback rating above 120. That streak is longest in league history.

Rivers was previously tied with Kurt Warner (2009) and Johnny Unitas (1965) at four straight games, while with at least 15 attempts. Rivers was the only one to do it with at least 20.

Rotoworld:

Philip Rivers - QB - Chargers

Philip Rivers has recorded a passer rating of 120.0 or more in five straight games, an NFL record.

Rivers isn't just playing at an MVP level, he's playing at an all-time level. Over the last five weeks, he's averaging 303.6 passing yards per game with 14 touchdowns and one interception while completing 71.7 percent of his passes. The Chargers have won all five games. Rivers figures to stay hot Sunday against a Chiefs defense lacking talent at the corner positions.

Source: Washington Post

Oct 16 - 11:30 AM

Huge Rivers fan IRL, but as far as fantasy goes, his playoff schedule is pretty rough. Without looking again, I think it's @NE, DEN, @SF.
And the game before those is at Baltimore. The Patriots game is in San Diego by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge Rivers fan IRL, but as far as fantasy goes, his playoff schedule is pretty rough. Without looking again, I think it's @NE, DEN, @SF.
And the game before those is at Baltimore. The Patriots game is in San Diego by the way.
I dont own Rivers but Im not sure that would even bother me. It might even be a good thing because he seems to be raising his level of play to whatever is needed. Guy is in MVP form. Now if I could just get him to use Allen more Id be ok

I dont own Rivers but Im not sure that would even bother me. It might even be a good thing because he seems to be raising his level of play to whatever is needed. Guy is in MVP form. Now if I could just get him to use Allen more Id be ok
The SF game is one one I'd worry about the most. But vs. Denver? They may or may not win the game, but he's gonna post mega fantasy points regardless IMO, because they are going to be slinging it all game to keep up with Peyton. That could even be the case with New England. A match up where he needs to throw all game to produce lots of points is not necessarily bad....

MikeApf said:
Houston turmOiler said:
Gr00vus said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
The SF game is one one I'd worry about the most. But vs. Denver? They may or may not win the game, but he's gonna post mega fantasy points regardless IMO, because they are going to be slinging it all game to keep up with Peyton. That could even be the case with New England. A match up where he needs to throw all game to produce lots of points is not necessarily bad....
In fairness, the gameplan vs. Denver is usually the exact opposite of "sling it" to keep up with Peyton and Co. It's ball control - lots of runs and short passes.

Rivers is still a must start.

Games PassingRk Player Year Age Draft Tm Lg G GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Sk Y/A SkYds AY/A ANY/A Y/G W L T1 Peyton Manning 2004 28 1-1 IND NFL 16 16 336 497 67.61% 4557 49 10 121.1 13 9.17 101 10.24 9.78 284.8 12 4 02 Aaron Rodgers 2011 28 1-24 GNB NFL 15 15 343 502 68.33% 4643 45 6 122.5 36 9.25 219 10.50 9.39 309.5 14 1 03 Philip Rivers 2014 33 1-4 SDG NFL 6 6 138 199 69.35% 1756 15 2 117.6 9 8.82 43 9.88 9.25 292.7 5 1 04 Nick Foles 2013 24 3-88 PHI NFL 13 10 203 317 64.04% 2891 27 2 119.2 28 9.12 173 10.54 9.18 222.4 8 2 05 Dan Marino* 1984 23 1-27 MIA NFL 16 16 362 564 64.18% 5084 48 17 108.9 13 9.01 120 9.36 8.94 317.8 14 2 06 Tom Brady 2007 30 6-199 NWE NFL 16 16 398 578 68.86% 4806 50 8 117.2 21 8.31 128 9.42 8.88 300.4 16 0 07 Peyton Manning 2013 37 1-1 DEN NFL 16 16 450 659 68.29% 5477 55 10 115.1 18 8.31 120 9.30 8.87 342.3 13 3 0Only 7 QB's in history have had a ANY/A (adjusted net yards per pass attempt) of 8.6 or higher.

seeing stuff like ctsu posted makes me realize how this is the good old days of passing and qbs i mean i loved guys i saw play a long time ago and always thought they were good but the truth is the guys today are just better at tossing the old pigskin around so there is your lesson of the day from the old swcer have a good friday brohans and take it to the bank with your fantasy teams this weekend and remember to always be honest and forthright in the way you play fantasy football so that you can sleep well at night take that to the bank bromigos

dblock05 said:
So those who own Rivers....are you playing him against the Broncos? Thinking about picking up Tannehill for this week
Of course. At worst he'll be playing catch up all game since the Broncos will score on that Chargers D at will

Rivers is so terrible LOL we shouldn't be bringing up old posts but it is silly.. He's a terrible Top 4 qb in the league LMAO. sorry guys couldn't resist... I love old posts with no relevance that turn out to be silly talk. Entertaining for sure fellow sharkies.

So I called him a HOFer in another thread and someone mocked me. I stand by my statement.
Small market team, no Super Bowl wins, doesn't hold all-time records -- he has no chance.

He's twice the QB Roethlisberger is and ten times as good as Eli, but both of those guys have a better shot than Rivers.

So I called him a HOFer in another thread and someone mocked me. I stand by my statement.
Small market team, no Super Bowl wins, doesn't hold all-time records -- he has no chance.

He's twice the QB Roethlisberger is and ten times as good as Eli, but both of those guys have a better shot than Rivers.
Better completion % than Dan Fouts, will end up with more passing yards in 3 yrs, will pass him in TDs possibly THIS year, lower INT %, more playoff games, played for the same EXACT team. Dan Fouts is in the HOF. Why does Rivers have no chance?

Games PassingRk Player Year Age Draft Tm Lg G GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Sk Y/A SkYds AY/A ANY/A Y/G W L T1 Peyton Manning 2004 28 1-1 IND NFL 16 16 336 497 67.61% 4557 49 10 121.1 13 9.17 101 10.24 9.78 284.8 12 4 02 Aaron Rodgers 2011 28 1-24 GNB NFL 15 15 343 502 68.33% 4643 45 6 122.5 36 9.25 219 10.50 9.39 309.5 14 1 03 Philip Rivers 2014 33 1-4 SDG NFL 6 6 138 199 69.35% 1756 15 2 117.6 9 8.82 43 9.88 9.25 292.7 5 1 04 Nick Foles 2013 24 3-88 PHI NFL 13 10 203 317 64.04% 2891 27 2 119.2 28 9.12 173 10.54 9.18 222.4 8 2 05 Dan Marino* 1984 23 1-27 MIA NFL 16 16 362 564 64.18% 5084 48 17 108.9 13 9.01 120 9.36 8.94 317.8 14 2 06 Tom Brady 2007 30 6-199 NWE NFL 16 16 398 578 68.86% 4806 50 8 117.2 21 8.31 128 9.42 8.88 300.4 16 0 07 Peyton Manning 2013 37 1-1 DEN NFL 16 16 450 659 68.29% 5477 55 10 115.1 18 8.31 120 9.30 8.87 342.3 13 3 0Only 7 QB's in history have had a ANY/A (adjusted net yards per pass attempt) of 8.6 or higher.
Those are 4-5 of the greatest QB seasons ever in there. I wonder if he can catch up to their TD pace.

Just a friendly reminder that Rivers was going on average as QB15 off the board this August. Fifteenth! Behind RG3, behind Kaep, behind Foles. And that was after he put up a top-5 season at the position last year.

I'm kicking myself that there are multiple leagues where I didn't draft this guy.

Better completion % than Dan Fouts, will end up with more passing yards in 3 yrs, will pass him in TDs possibly THIS year, lower INT %, more playoff games, played for the same EXACT team. Dan Fouts is in the HOF. Why does Rivers have no chance?
How he compares to a QB from three decades ago is completely meaningless. Is Donald Driver a HOFer because he has a bunch of Packers receiving records?

How Rivers compares to the quarterbacks of his own era is what matters. Sadly for him, he is gonna need to win a ring or two, since he has rarely been thought of by most as a top tier NFL QB (thanks to playing at the same time as Peyton, Rodgers, Brady and Brees). Having never made an All-Pro team doesn't help, and neither does the Chargers rep for flaming out at the end of seasons (during his tenure). He is kind of in the same boat as Tony Romo: stats-wise, a top QB of his era, but needs postseason success to get real consideration.

:goodposting:

Plus East Coast bias.

I think if he gets a ring before he is done it will lead to a new and wider spread appreciation of his career performance and he will then probably get in.

If that doesn't happen, but he plays like he has been playing in 2013-2014 for 5 more years, his statistics might become compelling enough.

How he compares to a QB from three decades ago is completely meaningless. Is Donald Driver a HOFer because he has a bunch of Packers receiving records?

How Rivers compares to the quarterbacks of his own era is what matters. Sadly for him, he is gonna need to win a ring or two, since he has rarely been thought of by most as a top tier NFL QB (thanks to playing at the same time as Peyton, Rodgers, Brady and Brees). Having never made an All-Pro team doesn't help, and neither does the Chargers rep for flaming out at the end of seasons (during his tenure). He is kind of in the same boat as Tony Romo: stats-wise, a top QB of his era, but needs postseason success to get real consideration.
Thats a fair point

Having never made an All-Pro team doesn't help, and neither does the Chargers rep for flaming out at the end of seasons (during his tenure).
Do the Chargers have a rep for flaming out at the end of seasons? I had thought it was the opposite, that they didn't win enough early but typically came on strong late in the season during Rivers' tenure. So I looked it up. Here is the Chargers record by month with Rivers as starter:

January: 4-0

December: 30-7

November: 19-15

October: 16-18

September: 18-13

Those are regular season only. Doesn't look like "flaming out at the end of seasons" is an accurate description. Unless you were referring to postseason...? But how many times did Rivers lose in the postseason when the Chargers were favored? He has lost at home in the postseason twice and overall has a 4-5 postseason record, including 2-2 at home and 2-3 on the road.

:shrug:

I hear ya. It just seems to be the rep they get: finish strong and then lose in the playoffs right away. 2006 and 2009 are probably the reasons why (even though neither loss was Rivers's fault per se).

Having never made an All-Pro team doesn't help, and neither does the Chargers rep for flaming out at the end of seasons (during his tenure).
Do the Chargers have a rep for flaming out at the end of seasons? I had thought it was the opposite, that they didn't win enough early but typically came on strong late in the season during Rivers' tenure. So I looked it up. Here is the Chargers record by month with Rivers as starter:

January: 4-0

December: 30-7

November: 19-15

October: 16-18

September: 18-13

Those are regular season only. Doesn't look like "flaming out at the end of seasons" is an accurate description. Unless you were referring to postseason...? But how many times did Rivers lose in the postseason when the Chargers were favored? He has lost at home in the postseason twice and overall has a 4-5 postseason record, including 2-2 at home and 2-3 on the road.

:shrug:
That 2009 playoff loss was brutal. 13-3, they lose at home to the Jets as Kaeding goes 0-3 on FGAs. The Bolts had made the playoffs 2006-09 but then missed the playoffs every year after that until last year.

I will also point out Rivers is 2-0 vs PManning in the playoffs. They would have met the Manning led Colts in 2009 and so may have had a legit shot at getting to the SB.

I don't put a lot of stock in quarterback playoff wins vs others, given the tiny sample sizes.

Mark Sanchez is 1-0 against Brady and Manning.

Aikman was 2-1 against Steve Young.

Flacco is 2-1 against Brady.

Eli is 2-0 against Brady.

Phil Simms was 2-1 against Joe Montana.

Rotoworld:

Philip Rivers completed 30-of-41 passes for 252 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in San Diego's 35-21, Week 8 loss to the Broncos.

Going up against the Broncos' daunting pass rush, Rivers had his worst game of the season. The multi-turnover effort was his first of 2014, while his 6.15 YPA was his lowest of the year by nearly half a yard. Rivers had little time to throw, and made some "old school" Rivers decisions as a result. Both of his interceptions were passes that should not have been thrown, but especially the second. Rivers launched a Norv Turner-style bomb into double coverage to Malcom Floyd, and it was easily picked by Rahim Moore. Coming off a grueling five-day stretch — and back-to-back losses — Rivers now has 10 days to rest up for San Diego's Week 9 trip to Miami.

Oct 23 - 11:39 PM

WTF?!?!

I drafted RG3 and Ryan. Dropped RG3 and traded Ryan for Rivers...guess I can pick up RG3 off waivers. Sigh...

Rotoworld:

Philip Rivers completed 12-of-23 passes for 138 yards, zero touchdowns, and three interceptions in San Diego's Week 9 loss at Miami.

Rivers' horrific afternoon mercifully ended late in the third quarter with the Chargers getting throttled 37-0. The Chargers later announced Rivers hurt his hand. San Diego couldn't get anything going on the ground or through the air. It was just a bad day all around. Rivers tossed two picks to Brent Grimes and another to Reshad Jones. Jones could have had a second of his own, but dropped it. Rivers also lost a fumble in this one before getting yanked. The Chargers head into their bye on a three-game losing streak. They'll host the Raiders in Week 11.

Nov 2 - 3:32 PM

Users who are viewing this thread