What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (5 Viewers)

Is he the most overrated QB in history? Hes never won a damn thing, but puts up empty stats. He loses games.

You guys do realize that this is a qb who has spent most of this season playing with guys like dontrelle Inman and Malcolm Floyd and grandpa gates as Wrs right? Ahh yes let's not for jevontee Herndon. What a powerhouse. And that he's got ZERO run game to support him. And that the coaching staff sets him up for failure by forcing the ball to guys like Melvin Gordon and Donald brown instead of putting woodhead in who clearly clicks way better with rivers. Rt?

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys do realize that this is a qb who has spent most of this season playing with guys like dontrelle Inman and Malcolm Floyd and grandpa gates as Wrs right? Ahh yes let's not for jevontee Herndon. What a powerhouse. And that he's got ZERO run game to support him. And that the coaching staff sets him up for failure by forcing the ball to guys like Melvin Gordon and Donald brown instead of putting woodhead in who clearly clicks way better with rivers. Rt?
Maybe he should have left that #### hole that is SD?

Rivers game wont cost me a championship, but he has known what the front office of that terrible team will do for many years. Im sure hes happy with 100+ mil contract as his team never wins a damn thing as e acts like he cares. He had his chance to leave.

Rivers game wont cost me a championship, but he has known what the front office of that terrible team will do for many years. Im sure hes happy with 100+ mil contract as his team never wins a damn thing as e acts like he cares. He had his chance to leave.
Wah wah wah

The guy has a family here with like 8 kids and loves the city. Have you been to San Diego? It's awesome here.

I do wonder if this guy is done fantasy wise or was it just because of the whole team getting hurt? 
He was a top 3 fantasy QB for the first half of last season. Then WR1 Allen missed the whole second half, WR3 Johnson missed 4 games in the second half, the starting OL missed 20 games in the second half. He may not be a top fantasy QB, but he's not done.

this is probably the worst WR corps in the league now that Allen is going to prob be out all year.

not even sure who Rivers is going to throw to other than dump offs to Woodhead and Gates when they are down 10+ every week. how did the FO come out of the off season with this WR corps?

this is probably the worst WR corps in the league now that Allen is going to prob be out all year.

not even sure who Rivers is going to throw to other than dump offs to Woodhead and Gates when they are down 10+ every week. how did the FO come out of the off season with this WR corps?
one of the worst run franchises in football makes drafting decisions? surprise surprise

Yeah its pretty unconscionable given the level of ridiculous WR talent coming into the league the last few years.  That being said, Rivers seems to be at his best when he has absolutely nothing going for him...

WR1 Allen and original WR3 Stevie Johnson are both out for the rest of the season.

WR2 Benjamin, new WR3 Tyrell Williams, and WR4 Inman were all fine for their roles entering the regular season. Moving them all up a slot in the pecking order, not so good.

As you noted, they have arguably the best receiving RB in Woodhead and a great receiving TE1 in Gates. They will probably also involve Gordon and TE2 Henry more in the passing game than they did today.

Losing Allen is a huge blow, but they still have solid targets. In particular, Tyrell Williams has breakout potential, so this increased opportunity could accelerate that.

The franchise had no reason to expect to lose both Allen and Johnson for the season when planning their draft, and they had lots of other holes to try to address. Just look at the defense today...

So what's the perception now... I had this guy as my QB on a contender in dynasty, and I'm a bit worried.  I have basically ignored QB the last few years building around Phillip and assuming I'd figure out a succession plan down the road.

What's most concerning to me are his stats without Allen the past few years.  Yes, there are other factors at play, including opponents, OL missing, etc., but the stats are pretty damning.

AVG WITH ALLEN (22 Games from '14/'15) --  290.55 yards, 2.05 TDs, 0.91 INTs

AVG WITHOUT ALLEN (10 Games from '14/15) -- 268.6 yards, 1.5 TDs, 1.1 INTs

ETA -- Prior to Sunday, Rivers has a 69.4% completion rate, 7.94 yards-per-attempt average and 76:30 TD-to-INT ratio in 39 career games with Allen. Rivers' completions dip to 62.1% with a 7.11 YPA, 67 touchdowns and 41 picks over his last 39 games where Allen hasn't played.

So what's the perception now... I had this guy as my QB on a contender in dynasty, and I'm a bit worried.  I have basically ignored QB the last few years building around Phillip and assuming I'd figure out a succession plan down the road.

What's most concerning to me are his stats without Allen the past few years.  Yes, there are other factors at play, including opponents, OL missing, etc., but the stats are pretty damning.

AVG WITH ALLEN (22 Games from '14/'15) --  290.55 yards, 2.05 TDs, 0.91 INTs

AVG WITHOUT ALLEN (10 Games from '14/15) -- 268.6 yards, 1.5 TDs, 1.1 INTs

ETA -- Prior to Sunday, Rivers has a 69.4% completion rate, 7.94 yards-per-attempt average and 76:30 TD-to-INT ratio in 39 career games with Allen. Rivers' completions dip to 62.1% with a 7.11 YPA, 67 touchdowns and 41 picks over his last 39 games where Allen hasn't played.
The expectation entering the season was that the team's offense would resemble the offense in 2013, when Whisenhunt was previously OC, with Gordon in the Mathews role. Of course losing Allen for the season will hurt, and fantasy expectations should now be lowered for Rivers.

That said, your numbers above don't mean much, for the reason you stated. Rivers was a top 5 fantasy QB through 8 games last season with Allen. But it wasn't just that he lost Allen for the final 8 games. Other WRs missed 6 games in the second half, RB1 Gordon missed 2 games, and, most importantly, the OL starters combined to miss 22 games. It is complete apples and oranges.

The expectation entering the season was that the team's offense would resemble the offense in 2013, when Whisenhunt was previously OC, with Gordon in the Mathews role. Of course losing Allen for the season will hurt, and fantasy expectations should now be lowered for Rivers.

That said, your numbers above don't mean much, for the reason you stated. Rivers was a top 5 fantasy QB through 8 games last season with Allen. But it wasn't just that he lost Allen for the final 8 games. Other WRs missed 6 games in the second half, RB1 Gordon missed 2 games, and, most importantly, the OL starters combined to miss 22 games. It is complete apples and oranges.
So when you say "expectations should now be lowered for Rivers," how low do you lower them?  Do you still expect top-10 QB numbers?  Top-15?

So when you say "expectations should now be lowered for Rivers," how low do you lower them?  Do you still expect top-10 QB numbers?  Top-15?
There probably won't be much separation between QBs 10 and 20. I expect he'll end up in there somewhere. I don't see him higher than QB10 unless someone else in the offense (e.g., Tyrell Williams) truly breaks out.

Derek Wolfe apparently isn't a fan...

Vic Lombardi Verified account @VicLombardi

"Don't like him. Not the kind of guy I'd hang out with. Ever since I told him I'd eat his kids, just hasn't been the same." Wolfe on Rivers
Even Vince Wilfork couldn't eat that many kids. Philip probably just went home and had a few more just to be on the safe side. He may not have been able to finish in the playoffs, but......

What happens with Phillip Rivers?

Is he going to leave San Diego and his home and move with his wife and 7 kids to LA?

Didn't he threaten that he would retire rather than move to LA?

He can commute or was that drive the problem? I remember him not being happy about it in the past, does he retire now or charter a chopper?

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said Philip Rivers "can have three or four more productive years easily."

"He looks rejuvenated," Lynn said of Rivers, who he added has lost 10 pounds during the offseason conditioning program. "We definitely think Philip can still play." There was talk of the Chargers drafting a "quarterback of the future" this year, but they did not address the position last weekend. The Chargers should be at least slightly concerned about the possibility of retirement for the 35-year-old quarterback, but they clearly anticipate him sticking with football for the next several years. Rivers is under contract through 2019.

Source: ESPN 
May 4 - 12:12 PM

"Kevin Acee of The San Diego Union-Tribune penned a behind-the-scenes look at the signal-caller's ride, which will take Rivers and Chargers backup Kellen Clemens to work three times a week during the regular season"

Hmmmmm, sounds like an awkward commute to me. Does Rivers really need both hangers-on acee and Clemens around to launder his jock straps? I'm sure if one of them put their mind to it they'd be close to capable of doing it on their own.

Rivers has his BEST season EVER this year.Top 10 QB at least.1.He's never had these many weapons. But K Allen needs to not get hurt this year for that to happen.

This is bar none, the greatest single titled thread in all of the Shark Pool.

Every time I read it I can't help but laugh.

PHILIP RIVERS IS TERRIBLE.

Everyone can say what they want, about the missed FG, but Rivers 2 minute drill was atrocious. You have to give them credit, at least they found a new way to lose, and not throw the Philip Rivers patented last minute INT (tm).  

TZM

Hilarious topic title. 

That said, there's a difference between "terrible" and "fantasy football". Rivers is the absolute last guy you want to face with like 5 mins left to play when the Chargers are down 2 TDs. He will ruin your week and snatch defeat from your jaws of victory. I've been on the wrong side of that matchup too many times. 

and that said, I don't think Rivers is terrible. 

He's polarizing for sure. People like him or hate him. He's either "fiery" or "an #####". 

Im in the "fiery" camp. I can't stand lackadaisical play. Guys who go through the motions & get paid. Rivers wants to win - he'll run through a brick wall for a win. He may not get it, but there's no quit in his game. 

I think he's fun to watch. 

Hilarious topic title. 

That said, there's a difference between "terrible" and "fantasy football". Rivers is the absolute last guy you want to face with like 5 mins left to play when the Chargers are down 2 TDs. He will ruin your week and snatch defeat from your jaws of victory. I've been on the wrong side of that matchup too many times. 

and that said, I don't think Rivers is terrible. 

He's polarizing for sure. People like him or hate him. He's either "fiery" or "an #####". 

Im in the "fiery" camp. I can't stand lackadaisical play. Guys who go through the motions & get paid. Rivers wants to win - he'll run through a brick wall for a win. He may not get it, but there's no quit in his game. 

I think he's fun to watch. 

Absolutely fun to watch. I do not disagree.

But I can't even begin to count all the picks I have seen him throw when the game is on the line or the amount of botched last minute drives. Its crazy.

I think he is a solid FF guy, I will never own him though. But I would want no parts of him if it were my franchise.

One thing that i think is pretty interesting, and a buddy of mine pointed it out.  Notice how over the years right as the game ends, or right as all the action ends and the game is over, there are almost no Rivers interviews ever. The dude seems like he is hopped up on something. Its like he is so "Adderall-ed" up or coked up, they don't want to ever give him any camera time, its almost like he is a 12 year old on a severe sugar and caffeine buzz.

He did recall to me one particular interview, where the camera and sound guy abruptly "cut away" mid interview. It could have been years ago.

I like his "win at all costs" mentality, I do.  But no way do I want any parts of the guy, real life or fantasy included.

I can only see the final championship match for me, Philip Rivers drives down to try and win the game, and I only need one TD, and he throws yet another of his famous picks.

I will never be vested in this guy.   :P

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread