What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (1 Viewer)

As per the thread title, Rivers is terrible...EXCEPT when he plays against my team.  Then he is Tom Brady-Esque.  That is all.  Nope.  Not bitter at all.  Lol.  

Cowboysfan8 said:
Newton every day of the week

But I hope he piles up the FF points for the rest of the year :lol:
If you could stomp on one guy's ridiculous pilgrim hat, would it be Newton's or River's?

habsfan said:
If you punched Russell in the face, you'd feel good... then you'd feel kinda bad.
If I tried to punch him, he would probably use his crazy agility to spin away and roundhouse kick me in the face.  Guy never lets the first guy get him

Can’t say enough about this guy. With the exception of Brady and Wilson I don’t think there is a qb I’d rather have for the fantasy playoffs going forward.

Can’t say enough about this guy. With the exception of Brady and Wilson I don’t think there is a qb I’d rather have for the fantasy playoffs going forward.
A whole lot more being said about him now. Most likely the list of QBs I wish I had started over him

Rivers simply isn't as good as most people think. He's never been great at reading the field and he's terribly immobile. He does have great accuracy and touch which is how he's gotten by but since he doesn't spread the ball around much at all he doesn't seem to be able to lead his teams to the playoffs much.

.547 winning percentage overall

.460 winning percentage without LT

He's more average than great with his biggest flaws being his lack of mobility and locking on one player. It seems he makes his mind up who's he's going to throw the ball to pre-snap but he's so accurate with good arm strength he can get away with it most times. 

Just Win Baby said:
:no:  

This take ignores all facts relevant to the situation at the time the team let Brees walk and relevant to the different situations.
Knowing what you know now, do you keep Brees and trade Rivers?

Knowing what you know now, do you keep Brees and trade Rivers?
Do I get to bring in Payton as head coach at the same time? Do I get to force out the Spanos family? Tell you what, even if I can do those things, I keep Rivers, because he would have been a lot better with those circumstances than he has been.

If anyone thinks that the QB position is what has been holding the chargers back for a decade, they are showing that they know next to nothing about football.
:goodposting:  

If anyone thinks that the QB position is what has been holding the chargers back for a decade, they are showing that they know next to nothing about football.
He is one of the best quarterbacks of his era and still playing at an exceptional level.

He's a machine who just does the job without flair and has become a footnote because he is taken for granted, like what he did Sunday.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-5-grades-saints-earn-a-bengals-and-browns-get-as-broncos-fail-miserably-in-loss/

If any team wants to know how to milk the clock with a lead, they just need to pop in film of what the Chargers did in this game. After leading 17-3 at halftime, the Chargers possessed the ball only three times in the second half and each one of those possessions lasted more than five minutes. Philip Rivers was nearly perfect in this game, finishing 22 of 27 for 339 yards and two touchdowns. 

In other news, Alex Spanos may have as much or more to stop Philip Rivers as any defensive coordinator in the NFL. I wish I could say that he'll be missed but I'm sure the folks in la are shouting a collective, "who?". Followed shortly by, "Oh yeah, he created that LOGO that we all hated.... we hate that LOGO. The Spanos family are just the bee's knees but we can't get over that LOGO! Booooo! BOOOOOO!"

Philip Rivers off to career-best start in 15th season with Chargers

...The Chargers offense is humming, and its quarterback a huge reason why.

Rivers has always been one of the NFL’s better quarterbacks. But through five weeks of a season, he’s never been better than this.

... His touchdown rate (7.5 percent) is at a career-high pace. His interception rate (1.1 percent) is at a career-low pace. He’s one of seven NFL quarterbacks with a completion percentage above 70 percent, which is nearly six percent higher than his career average. If his current pace continues, Rivers will finish with 4,784 yards and 42 touchdowns, the latter of which would break his career high by eight scores.

...Rivers, numbers aside, seems to be playing at an extraordinary level. Even for him.

Whisenhunt doesn’t have an obvious answer for why it’s all coming together for Rivers at the start of his 15th season. Maybe it’s fitness. Maybe it’s changes in the passing game, league-wide. Or maybe, Rivers, at 35, is just simply getting better.

“You know, he really is one of the best players in the league,” Whisenhunt said. “He really works at it. That’s what you admire so much about him.”

Just never start him in a playoff game
I think the Spanos family has pretty much taken care of that. He's only had a surrounding cast that he could drag into two playoff games since 2009.

In those two games he's 1-1. Quarterback rating of 116.9 so I guess the folks in this thread discounting him were right..... he really does "suck".

I think the Spanos family has pretty much taken care of that. He's only had a surrounding cast that he could drag into two playoff games since 2009.

In those two games he's 1-1. Quarterback rating of 116.9 so I guess the folks in this thread discounting him were right..... he really does "suck".
I was talking about fantasy.  hes a good qb for the most part.

but anytime I have started him over the years for either a must win game (or a fantasy playoff game) he has had monumental collapses. I blame myself for not having a better qb option on my rosters during those times and have since sworn off rivers

I was talking about fantasy.  hes a good qb for the most part.

but anytime I have started him over the years for either a must win game (or a fantasy playoff game) he has had monumental collapses. I blame myself for not having a better qb option on my rosters during those times and have since sworn off rivers
You definitely do need to put up with wild swings, especially if your in a REAL FF league where you get punished for TO's. The biggest problem I have with him as a QB is that he tries to do too much, both with the ball and in terms of waiting until the last possible second to get rid of the ball. More than a few seasons that willingness to wait(and the punishment he's absorbed behind putrid OL's for almost his entire career) has led to poor play down the stretch on occasion because I'm convinced he's played while being injured.

You definitely do need to put up with wild swings, especially if your in a REAL FF league where you get punished for TO's. The biggest problem I have with him as a QB is that he tries to do too much, both with the ball and in terms of waiting until the last possible second to get rid of the ball. More than a few seasons that willingness to wait(and the punishment he's absorbed behind putrid OL's for almost his entire career) has led to poor play down the stretch on occasion because I'm convinced he's played while being injured.
Yeah my leagues give big INT penalties

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread