What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (3 Viewers)

I have been trying to trade him but I can't get anyone to give me even a bench WR.  I am in first and won last year so not many teams want to help me out I guess so I am going to drop him for Trequan tomorrow morning.  

Philip Rivers completed 18-of-26 passes for 223 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception in the Chargers' Week 10 win over the Raiders.

This was not a highlight-reel game for Rivers, but he did enough against the Raiders’ barely there offense. At the end of a quiet first half, Rivers led a quick scoring drive capped by an 11-yard touchdown to Keenan Allen to give the Chargers the lead. He had little to do with his next score as Melvin Gordon took a dump off, avoided two tacklers, and beat everyone down the field for a 66-yard touchdown, but it still counts. From that point, Rivers mostly turned around and handed off the ball. Rivers will face a tougher test next week against the Broncos, but he should also be asked to throw more.

Nov 11 - 7:09 PM

Some very good matches around the playoff schedule. I’m trying to trade for him from an owner that used him this week to cover Watson and won’t use him again. Definitely a good guy to target for people that have been streaming QBs all season, he’s backup QB to a lot of people 

Philip Rivers completed 23-of-37 passes for 181 yards and two interceptions in the Chargers' Week 16 loss to the Ravens.

Baltimore's defense suffocated Rivers and Los Angeles' offense as a whole, limiting the Chargers to 198 total yards and an average 3.5 yards per play. Mustering only a field goal on five first-half possessions, Los Angeles had a big 27-yard catch from Keenan Allen and 28-yard reception from Mike Williams wiped off the board on back-to-back plays due to penalties. At the end of the day, the Ravens' defense ultimately stifled Rivers with four sacks and two picks, tacking on a fumble recovery-turned-touchdown that gave Baltimore a comfortable two-score lead. Rivers will be a tremendous bounce-back candidate and strong QB1 against Denver's injury-riddled secondary in Week 17.

Dec 22 - 11:24 PM

I don't expect they can make a deep playoff run with such a poor pass blocking OL.

Yes, Rivers is a HOF QB.
While I agree, he needs some postseason success.  4 playoff wins isn't gonna cut it.  Tough game today at Baltimore, but if Rivers' Chargers go one and done, considering how good their team is this year, it will reflect poorly on Rivers, fair or not.  

HOF? I’m on the fence with him. 

He def has the stats, but he has never made it to a Super Bowl. I find it hard to say a QB who has never made it to the SB should be in the HOF. He has also been to the playoffs less than half of the years he has been the starter (6 of 13).

His postseason stats are also uninspiring.

5-5 record, 232 a game, 11 TDs, 9 ints. Almost 1 TD and 1 int a game, not very good at all.

I think he’ll get in, but I wouldn’t complain for a second if he didn’t.

He def has the stats, but he has never made it to a Super Bowl. I find it hard to say a QB who has never made it to the SB should be in the HOF. He has also been to the playoffs less than half of the years he has been the starter (6 of 13).

5-5 record, 232 a game, 11 TDs, 9 ints. Almost 1 TD and 1 int a game, not very good at all.

Postseason success is the worse gauge of a QB's worth. One game playoffs are fun to watch, but nearly worthless for gauging the best team. Due to the physically taxing nature of the sport, one game playoffs are a necessity but there's a reason baseball and basketball play best of seven. One bad call or a fluke play can change a game. Hell, I recall the Chargers had the Patriots beaten - they intercepted Brady and just had to ice the game, but the DB tried to run it back, lost the fumble, and the Patriots scored. A game winning play was essentially nullified by a bonehead play. Would've been better if the guy had just dropped the interception because the end result was a new set of downs. 

The point being, there's possibly just as much luck in the NFL as their are in our fantasy football H2H matchups, so I'm not elevating Eli for his super bowls, nor dinging Rivers for his team's lack of super bowls. 

Postseason success is the worse gauge of a QB's worth. One game playoffs are fun to watch, but nearly worthless for gauging the best team. Due to the physically taxing nature of the sport, one game playoffs are a necessity but there's a reason baseball and basketball play best of seven. One bad call or a fluke play can change a game. Hell, I recall the Chargers had the Patriots beaten - they intercepted Brady and just had to ice the game, but the DB tried to run it back, lost the fumble, and the Patriots scored. A game winning play was essentially nullified by a bonehead play. Would've been better if the guy had just dropped the interception because the end result was a new set of downs. 

The point being, there's possibly just as much luck in the NFL as their are in our fantasy football H2H matchups, so I'm not elevating Eli for his super bowls, nor dinging Rivers for his team's lack of super bowls. 
I have to disagree with this. 

A QB with almost a decade and a half, the luck evens out, goes both ways. The HOF should be special, if you're a QB and have never made it to the SB, I can't chalk it up to being unlucky after 13 years. 

Like I said, I'm on the fence with the guy. Has there ever been a season where you looked at him and said, he is the best in the game? He has had a few where he was a top 5 or  maybe a top 3 looking guy, but the QBs who I consider locks have all had those seasons, most have had multiple seasons like that. Even guys like Matt Ryan have a season or two where you look at them and think they could be the best or close to it. I don't consider him HOF material as of now, and if he did what he has been doing for the last decade for another 5 years, I have him somewhere around Rivers. Good QB, a guy you can build around, but HOF? Meh. It wouldn't be surprising either way to me on Rivers.

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, & Big Ben. I lean on the fence with Eli, because he has never had a season like that either, but the two Super Bowls absolutely lean in his favor. I hate the Giants, but if I had to pit those two guys against each other, I have to give the nod to Eli, strictly bc of the SBs. Championships matter.

Supposing he wins the next two games his record will be 7-5 and having attained the SB participant status......

As for being the best in a season - He's played at the same time as Favre, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers - that's some pretty stiff competition for best in any given season

(Big Ben Rapesliberger hopefully never makes it to the HOF)

I have to disagree with this. 

A QB with almost a decade and a half, the luck evens out, goes both ways. The HOF should be special, if you're a QB and have never made it to the SB, I can't chalk it up to being unlucky after 13 years. 

Like I said, I'm on the fence with the guy. Has there ever been a season where you looked at him and said, he is the best in the game? He has had a few where he was a top 5 or  maybe a top 3 looking guy, but the QBs who I consider locks have all had those seasons, most have had multiple seasons like that. Even guys like Matt Ryan have a season or two where you look at them and think they could be the best or close to it. I don't consider him HOF material as of now, and if he did what he has been doing for the last decade for another 5 years, I have him somewhere around Rivers. Good QB, a guy you can build around, but HOF? Meh. It wouldn't be surprising either way to me on Rivers.

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, & Big Ben. I lean on the fence with Eli, because he has never had a season like that either, but the two Super Bowls absolutely lean in his favor. I hate the Giants, but if I had to pit those two guys against each other, I have to give the nod to Eli, strictly bc of the SBs. Championships matter.
There should be no way Eli gets in and Rivers doesn't. Rivers is a way better QB. With the small samples of the NFL and the fact it is so much more of a team game than most want to admit, I think it is crazy to hold super bowls over the QBs.

Supposing he wins the next two games his record will be 7-5 and having attained the SB participant status......

As for being the best in a season - He's played at the same time as Favre, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers - that's some pretty stiff competition for best in any given season

(Big Ben Rapesliberger hopefully never makes it to the HOF)
We're not talking about the Pro Bowl here or some other achievement that is nice to have, we're talking about being inducted into the HOF. I'd think than any of the locks I listed were viewed as the best in the game for a season or two during their careers. Rivers can go either way for the HOF, IMO.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Big Ben is a first ballot lock. 

There should be no way Eli gets in and Rivers doesn't. Rivers is a way better QB. With the small samples of the NFL and the fact it is so much more of a team game than most want to admit, I think it is crazy to hold super bowls over the QBs.
If Eli only won one Super Bowl, I'd agree, but I can't leave a guy out who has led his team to two SB titles out over a guy who has never made it to one. That's just me. 

Football hall of fame lets everyone in except air coryell......eli is a lock....rivers while not hof worthy imo (and I'm a bolt homer).....is a 50/50 shot at this point but his story isnt written yet....eli is toast will be lucky to be in the league next season

Pretty sure neither of you are HOF voters, though 😛 

(Neither am I)
lol. We all have our opinions. I think Eli gets in, honestly, maybe even first ballot, IDK. Between the name and SB titles, they'll put him in. 

Rivers I think is like 60/40 getting in, maybe between years 3-5 of eligibility. If he doesn't get in, I don't think anyone would consider it a snub, if he gets in, I don't think anyone would heavily object. Feels like a guy on the fringe. 

If Eli only won one Super Bowl, I'd agree, but I can't leave a guy out who has led his team to two SB titles out over a guy who has never made it to one. That's just me. 
That's why I say it's not good to use SBs. Any arm chair analyst can tell you that Eli has never been a special QB. He was just in the right place at the right time... twice.

Users who are viewing this thread