What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (6 Viewers)

This isn't doing much for the, "I was RIGHT all along!@#$%" crowd.

So he's now led the team into first place in his division. It must be kind of nice to play on a team where his special teams is actually helping him instead of working against him. I think Kaeding prematurely ended almost half a dozen charger seasons all by himself.

It's fun watching Herbert, but it's worth noting that he's 1-6 as the starter. Can you imagine if Rivers was still on the chargers and he was 1-6? MAYBE, just MAYBE the QB position hasn't been the problem with the chargers after all. Who knew!?
Well... you and I knew, and we both posted about it in this thread.

Amazing how this guy is winning games again, right? It's almost like there is an advantage to playing behind an offensive line that doesn't suck and having a kicker who can make big kicks, eh? 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Colts QB Philip Rivers (toe, questionable) is expected to play in Week 12 against the Titans.

Rivers was held out of practice Wednesday and Thursday before being upgraded to a limited practice on Friday. A 16-year veteran, Rivers likely didn't need much practice this week anyway. Colts coach Frank Reich told Pelissero that "it doesn't look like Rivers’ injured toe will be an issue." Seemingly at full health, Rivers slots in as a low-end QB2 in a beatable matchup.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 29, 2020, 8:04 AM ET

PHILIP RIVERS QB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Colts declared LB Bobby Okereke, C Ryan Kelly, CB Isaiah Rodgers, QB Jacob Eason, WR Dezmon Patmon TE Noah Togiai, and DE Ben Banogu inactive for Week 12 against the Titans. 

Rivers will suit up after missing considerable practice time this week with the toe issue. Rivers is a mid-range QB2 in a quietly solid matchup against Tennessee. Rivers threw for 308 yards and a touchdown when these teams played two weeks ago. DeForest Buckner and Denico Autry remain on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

RELATED: 

DeForest Buckner

SOURCE: Kevin Bowen on Twitter 

Nov 29, 2020, 11:34 AM ET

Philip Rivers completed 24-of-42 passes for 295 yards, a touchdown, and an interception in the Colts' 26-45 Week 12 loss to the Titans. 

Rivers moved the ball effectively against the Titans' generous secondary but the Colts defense couldn't stop Derrick Henry from the first snap of the contest. Rivers hit T.Y. Hilton for a 50-yarder and a short touchdown amid another game of dump offs to his running backs. With at least 288 yards in each of his past three games, Rivers should continue to be a floor option in Week 13 against a Browns defense that gave up 235 yards and two touchdowns to Mike Glennon in Week 12. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Colts QB Philip Rivers will need offseason surgery on his foot.

Rivers suffered a plantar plate rupture, which Rapoport described as "more severe" than turf toe. He is starting this week and was a full participant in practice on Friday so it looks like Rivers shouldn't have a problem finishing out the season with this injury. Rivers' movement may be limited but dazzling athleticism has never been his calling as a quarterback. He remains a low-end QB2 to close out the fantasy season.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 6, 2020, 10:12 AM ET

Likelihood Rivers on the Colts next year? Will he hang them up? I don't know, such a competitive guy.

If not on Colts, will they...

Go to Brissett?  Go to Eason?  Other?

Likelihood Rivers on the Colts next year? Will he hang them up? I don't know, such a competitive guy.

If not on Colts, will they...

Go to Brissett?  Go to Eason?  Other?
Impossible to know right now. I doubt the Colts and Rivers know.

Do not think it will be Eason; hard to believe he would be ready to be a full-time starter next season. That would be a lot of cap savings, though.

Do not think it will be Brissett. They've tried that and it did not work out well. I don't see any team signing Brissett to start next season.

Do not think they will be in position to draft a top 3 QB without giving up a huge amount of draft capital. Assume they won't do that.

So, assuming Rivers doesn't implode down the stretch, assuming his offseason surgery is successful, and assuming Rivers wants to continue, IMO it is most likely he will be back.

Another possibility I have heard discussed by talking heads is that Detroit could release Stafford, in which case the Colts could be one of his best landing spots. Not sure how likely this scenario is. Not sure if this would be more or less likely than Rivers if he does indeed become a free agent. Stafford is about 6 years younger.

about 5 weeks ago i sold rivers in 2qb dynasty because it was the trade deadline and i thought there was zero chance he would be playing or starting next year.... now i wonder if he might not stick around in indy one more year

Philip Rivers (toe) didn't practice Wednesday.

Rivers has played through a toe/foot injury the last couple weeks. It's something that could eventually require offseason surgery. The Colts are managing his reps. Rivers isn't expected to miss Week 14.

Dec 9, 2020, 12:30 PM ET

Philip Rivers (toe) returned to Colts practice on Thursday.

Rivers' reps will be strictly managed the final four weeks of the season as he plays through a painful toe issue. With T.Y. Hilton slowly coming back to life opposite an ascending Michael Pittman, Rivers finally has two reliable weapons in the passing game. He will offer some high-end QB2 appeal for Sunday's game against the Raiders. 

SOURCE: Kevin Bowen on Twitter 

Dec 10, 2020, 2:05 PM ET

Philip Rivers completed 22-of-28 passes for 228 yards and two touchdowns in the Colts' 27-20, Week 15 win over the Texans. 

Rivers hit his fantasy floor and nothing more. After three weeks of reviving T.Y. Hilton, Rivers, for whatever reason, was looking Zach Pascal's way early and often, finding his No. 3 wideout for 5/79/2. Frustrating for fantasy managers, but it's what the Texans were giving Rivers. Averaging nearly eight yards per attempt while mostly avoiding turnovers, Rivers is doing what he needs to do to guide the Colts to the postseason. He will not be an upside option for the fantasy finals against the Steelers in Week 16. 

Dec 20, 2020, 5:03 PM ET

Philip Rivers completed 17-of-27 attempts 164 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Colts' Week 17 win over the Jaguars.

With the win, the Colts (11-5) are headed to Buffalo for Wild Card weekend. Rivers will have to bring his best ball to keep pace with the Bills, and he'll have to do so without his left tackle. The veteran didn't look to lose much zip on his passes in 2020 and even dropped his interceptions from 20 to 11. Rivers' 4,168 yards, 24 touchdowns, and 7.7 yards per attempt average indicate that he can get hot in stretches.

- Rotoworld

Anybody know how Rivers has performed in his career in the kind of cold he'll see this weekend?
Rivers is a perfect 4-0 during the Wild Card Round of the Playoffs.

And on the cold weather front, with Saturday’s forecast showing the temperature around 32 degrees, Rivers is 1-5 (0-3 in the playoffs) in his career when the temp is freezing or colder at kickoff. In those games, Rivers has completed 58.9 percent of his passes, averages 298.2 passing yards per game, thrown 10 touchdown and 7 interceptions, with a passer rating of 84.2.

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/colts-tuesday-notebook-philip-rivers-talks-missing-super-bowl-piece/

Philip Rivers said he's undecided about playing in 2021 after the Colts' Wild Card Weekend 27-24 loss to Buffalo. 

Rivers, an unrestricted free agent in 2021, was emotion in a postgame presser following the Colts' three-point loss to the Bills, and wouldn't commit to returning to Indianapolis next season. Rivers led the Colts to an 11-5 record this season with 4,168 yards, 24 touchdowns, and 7.7 yards per attempt in a primarily game managing role. Against Buffalo on Saturday, Rivers threw for 309 yards and two touchdowns thanks to three quarters of negative game script. The Colts will need to know Rivers' retirement plans sooner rather than later. His decision could affect how aggressive the team is in acquiring a new QB in free agency and the draft -- or both. 

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter 

Jan 9, 2021, 5:36 PM ET

Rivers may be dropped for Harrington this week. :screwed:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Colts were much less disappointing in 2020 than they were in 2019 in large part because Rivers was a big upgrade at QB.

The people that said IND should have signed Cam as their QB instead look pretty silly.

The people that have been saying that the QB position was what has been holding the chargers organization back for the past several years look even more silly.

Oh, and as to the OP'er of the thread that started this all.... I hope you didn't drop Philip Rivers for Joey Harrington no matter what the usual suspects in this thread typically say when they bump it. But what do I know, I am unwilling or unable to have an intellectually honest conversation about Rivers. So maybe you should have dropped Rivers for Harrington after all.

"Really should be the end of the story IMO"

Colts GM Chris Ballard plans to meet with impending free agent Philip Rivers in "about a month." 

"Do I think Philip can still play? Absolutely," Ballard said at his season-ending Zoom. "He's going to take some time, and we're going to take some time. We'll meet again in about a month." Rivers was philosophical about his future following last Saturday's Wild Card loss, saying he is going to need some time. It's the first time Rivers has been anything other than gung-ho about continuing his marathon career. The 39-year-old is steadily losing effectiveness, though he remained an above-average starter in 2020. He probably has one more season of starting-quality play left in the tank. The Colts don't have a good backup plan. 

SOURCE: Stephen Holder on Twitter 

Jan 14, 2021, 1:51 PM ET

Philip Rivers is retiring.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers-rams/story/2021-01-20/philip-rivers-retiring-chargers-colts-saint-michael-high-school-alabama#:~:text=Philip Rivers%2C who came to,will announce his retirement today.&text=That streak is the second,quarterback behind Brett Favre's 297.

Philip Rivers is retiring.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers-rams/story/2021-01-20/philip-rivers-retiring-chargers-colts-saint-michael-high-school-alabama#:~:text=Philip Rivers%2C who came to,will announce his retirement today.&text=That streak is the second,quarterback behind Brett Favre's 297.
Good for him, man. He can finally start a family. 

Rotoworld:

Philip Rivers announced his retirement after 17 NFL seasons. 

Colts general manager had said Rivers would make a decision about his retirement next month, but Rivers, 39, only needed two weeks to say he would leave the game after 16 years with the Chargers and one season with Indianapolis. Rivers, who will become the head coach at St. Michael Catholic High School in Alabama, threw for at least 30 touchdowns six times in his career, topping 4,500 passing yards in five seasons. Incredibly, he didn't miss a game since taking over as the Chargers' starting QB in 2006. Rivers and the Chargers had a run of excellent regular seasons with LaDainian Tomlinson as the team's offensive centerpiece, only to falter in the postseason, sometimes in heart wrenching fashion. In his only season with the Colts, Rivers led the team to the playoffs before losing to the Bills in the Wild Card round. Rivers' oddball sidearm delivery will go down as one of the quirkiest and most effective throwing motions in league history. The Colts will bring in new quarterbacks via the NFL draft or free agency -- perhaps both. QB Jacoby Brissett is an unrestricted free agent. 

RELATED: 

Jacoby Brissett

, Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jan 20, 2021, 9:01 AM ET

Big fan of Philip Rivers, his skills, his enthusiasm, his iron man approach to the game and his competitiveness. I hope that he takes these same attributes to his retirement career of high school coaching. 

He will be missed on Sundays!

The modern day Dan Marino.   great stats, leader, great arm.  Never got the ring though.  It happens.  Now he can kick back and enjoy ... Orlando.  Uggh.  Don't know about that choice.

So . . . HOF worthy? Rivers ends up (as of the end of this season):

- 5th in career completions
- 5th in career passing yards
- 5th in career passing TD
- 12th in career passer rating
- 14th in passing yds/gm
- 5th in net yds/attempt
- 12th overall in career approximate value
- 12th in HOF monitor score among QBs
- 8 Pro Bowl selections (0 All Pro selections)
- 134-106 (.558) as a starter
- 5-7 (.417) as a starter in the post-season

Some folks might be surprised at those career totals. Others will say, "yeah but he never won anything." He played at the same time as TB12, Peyton, and Brees (which makes puts him in a lower tier). Almost all those career numbers will be passed by the likes of Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Rodgers in the next 2-3 years (if they play that long).

So . . . HOF worthy? Rivers ends up (as of the end of this season):

- 5th in career completions
- 5th in career passing yards
- 5th in career passing TD
- 12th in career passer rating
- 14th in passing yds/gm
- 5th in net yds/attempt
- 12th overall in career approximate value
- 12th in HOF monitor score among QBs
- 8 Pro Bowl selections (0 All Pro selections)
- 134-106 (.558) as a starter
- 5-7 (.417) as a starter in the post-season

Some folks might be surprised at those career totals. Others will say, "yeah but he never won anything." He played at the same time as TB12, Peyton, and Brees (which makes puts him in a lower tier). Almost all those career numbers will be passed by the likes of Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Rodgers in the next 2-3 years (if they play that long).
IMO he is a HOF lock. Maybe not first ballot, but a lock.

IMO he is a HOF lock. Maybe not first ballot, but a lock.
I agree he should be, but I heard a discussion on talk radio and another on talk TV where they mentioned Brady, both Mannings, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers as locks from the era and there were a couple of people suggesting Ryan at least got to a SB and will end up with better numbers. Essentially, the argument against Rivers was that the HOF really shouldn't be inducting 25% of the league's starting QBs playing at the same time. One guy essentially said he put up decent numbers but they were basically empty calories as his teams never came close to winning anything (and had some years they really should have been a real contender). I suspect opinions may vary on Rivers.

I agree he should be, but I heard a discussion on talk radio and another on talk TV where they mentioned Brady, both Mannings, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers as locks from the era and there were a couple of people suggesting Ryan at least got to a SB and will end up with better numbers. Essentially, the argument against Rivers was that the HOF really shouldn't be inducting 25% of the league's starting QBs playing at the same time. One guy essentially said he put up decent numbers but they were basically empty calories as his teams never came close to winning anything (and had some years they really should have been a real contender). I suspect opinions may vary on Rivers.
Rivers will eventually get in due to his stats, but I am in the camp that he isn't really a HOF caliber QB.  Just compare Rivers to the current QBs in the HOF, along with Brady, P Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger and Mahomes who will all be in the HOF in the future.  Rivers falls way short on talent and memories.  Is there a signature moment that people will remember Rivers?  Not that I can think of.  He only won 5 playoff games in 15 years, never made a Super Bowl while playing with HOF talent in LT and Gates.  There is no way I can think that Rivers is one the best QBs of all time.  Rivers IMO was a very good NFL QB that played for a long time.  I totally respect the guy, he had a great career, and I wish all the best in his retirement.

We're going to have the same debate when Frank Gore hangs it up.  Frank Gore will eventually be in the HOF, no question about it.  But is Gore one of the best RBs of all time?   Not even close.

Is there a signature moment that people will remember Rivers?  Not that I can think of.
You might not think so, but playing the AFC championship game 6 days after tearing his ACL is definitely a signature moment that epitomizes his toughness, one of his strongest traits.

Just compare Rivers to the current QBs in the HOF, along with Brady, P Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger and Mahomes who will all be in the HOF in the future
Rivers has a stronger NFL resume than Warren Moon, and Marino and Fouts are reasonable comps. None of those three won a Super Bowl or had winning postseason records.

Rivers wasn't as good as Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, or Brees, all of whom are arguably among the top 10 QBs of all time, but he doesn't have to be as good or better than them to be HOF worthy. He happened to play in the golden era of QB play in the history of the league to date. IMO he was better than Roethlisberger, though I know that doesn't fit the popular narrative, because the Steelers had more team success with Roethlisberger. Mahomes isn't truly a contemporary for Rivers, so I don't think he is particularly relevant to the conversation.

Rivers will eventually get in due to his stats, but I am in the camp that he isn't really a HOF caliber QB.  Just compare Rivers to the current QBs in the HOF, along with Brady, P Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger and Mahomes who will all be in the HOF in the future.  Rivers falls way short on talent and memories.  Is there a signature moment that people will remember Rivers?  Not that I can think of.  He only won 5 playoff games in 15 years, never made a Super Bowl while playing with HOF talent in LT and Gates.  There is no way I can think that Rivers is one the best QBs of all time.  Rivers IMO was a very good NFL QB that played for a long time.  I totally respect the guy, he had a great career, and I wish all the best in his retirement.

We're going to have the same debate when Frank Gore hangs it up.  Frank Gore will eventually be in the HOF, no question about it.  But is Gore one of the best RBs of all time?   Not even close.
What makes all the debates about player HOF worthiness is there is no clearly delineated methodology as to what makes a player a HOFer. There are only so many clear cut NO BRAINERS and then a decent percentage of players that spark some debate. In the grand scheme of things and history of football, is there really THAT much difference in honoring 30 players at a certain position instead of 20? Either way, those players would be in the top sliver of players at their position.

IMO, there are three groupings that get consideration: key cogs in a dynastic team; players with insane peak numbers (but not as good the rest of their careers or had short careers); and those that were very good for a long, long time. I generally look at players and ask "could the story of the NFL in that era be told without including PLAYER X." As you mentioned, many players have signature moments, highlight reel plays, and big wins. Some players like Brady, Rice, and LT1 check off every possible box. There should be a grand pantheon for those level players, the platinum club so to speak. But there are lots of Namath's, Stabler's, Monk's, Swann's, and Bettis' to go around too.

You might not think so, but playing the AFC championship game 6 days after tearing his ACL is definitely a signature moment that epitomizes his toughness, one of his strongest traits.

Rivers has a stronger NFL resume than Warren Moon, and Marino and Fouts are reasonable comps. None of those three won a Super Bowl or had winning postseason records.

Rivers wasn't as good as Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, or Brees, all of whom are arguably among the top 10 QBs of all time, but he doesn't have to be as good or better than them to be HOF worthy. He happened to play in the golden era of QB play in the history of the league to date. IMO he was better than Roethlisberger, though I know that doesn't fit the popular narrative, because the Steelers had more team success with Roethlisberger. Mahomes isn't truly a contemporary for Rivers, so I don't think he is particularly relevant to the conversation.
I generally shy away from comparing players from different generations. If your argument was to compare Moon, Marino, and Fouts because none of them won a SB, so be it.

I definitely would put Marino in a different class than Rivers. Rivers JUST passed Marino in passing yards this season . . . and he retired 22 years ago . . . nearly 10,000 passing yards ahead of Elway in career passing yards (who was 2nd). Marino led the league in passing yardage 5 times, passing TD 3 times, was a first team All Pro 3 times, and won 16 more games than Rivers did in almost the same number of games played.

I realize it isn't Rivers fault that he played with some of the greatest QBs to ever lace 'em up. And we can't hold it against Marino that a lot of the other QBs in the league at the time were pretty meh. IMO, Marino performed better vs. his peers than Rivers did vs. his peers.

That being said, Rivers still deserves a spot in the HOF. IIRC, there was a stretch where in 14 of 15 seasons the AFC was represented in the SB by Manning, Brady, or Roethlisberger (with Flacco being the only exception). That was something we may never see happen again.

regarding HOF he seems like he's the Art Monk of QBs (but without the 3 SB rings) He will get in, but it may take a while. 

I forgot to mention that a lot of the Chargers issues had nothing to do with Rivers. In 2010, the Chargers had the #1 ranked offense AND the #1 ranked defense . . . and only won 9 games and missed the playoffs. 

In 15 years as a starter, Rivers led his teams to Top 10 rankings in points scored 9 times and Top 10 rankings in yardage 9 times. We can discuss and debate why his teams did not have more success.

I forgot to mention that a lot of the Chargers issues had nothing to do with Rivers. In 2010, the Chargers had the #1 ranked offense AND the #1 ranked defense . . . and only won 9 games and missed the playoffs.

In 15 years as a starter, Rivers led his teams to Top 10 rankings in points scored 9 times and Top 10 rankings in yardage 9 times. We can discuss and debate why his teams did not have more success.
That's easy, though I'm not sure HOF voters will take it into account:

• Bottom of NFL level ownership - there was a reason the Mannings refused to have Eli play for the franchise
  • Poor front office, heavily influenced by nepotism, with 7 Spanos family members in front office positions, including John Spanos as Director of Football Operations
  • Rivers has had the least compelling collection of head coaches of any QB who is in the HOF or will receive strong consideration for it - since he became the Chargers starter in 2006:
    • Marty (1) - 2006
    • Norv (6) - 2007-2012
    • McCoy (4) - 2013-2016
    • Lynn (3) - 2017-2019
    • Reich (1) - 2020 [Colts]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread