What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (2 Viewers)

Can't recall the brewery, but I have a couple of Chocolate Stout beers in my fridge that were too heavy for me (thicker than Guiness).

Thoughts on using them for the chili?

Can't recall the brewery, but I have a couple of Chocolate Stout beers in my fridge that were too heavy for me (thicker than Guiness).Thoughts on using them for the chili?
I don't think I would. The beer is essential for the flavor of the chili and that sounds like it may come out pretty funky.

By the way, doing my annual Breeder's Cup/Poker extravaganza tomorrow night. I'll be hosting a Mexican Feast before we throw the shingles. Taco bar - handmade fresh tortillas, all the fixins, carne asada, chicken and a carnitas recipe I saw on Diner's Drive In's and Dives that looked spectacular. If it's as good as I think it is, you may see another Legendary recipe post. Have 2 whole Boston Butt Shoulders on the ready.
This one?... I dunno, looks pretty basic. Im sure its good, but not sure Im seeing anything that is going to live up to the "legendariness" of the chili.I was long on the hunt for the perfect carnitas recipe and (not surprisingly) I found it on cooksillustrated.com. They dont just post a recipe someone thinks tastes good. They take hundreds of pounds of pork and spend days/weeks/months in the test kitchen refining their recipes based on feedback from qualified blind taste-testers until they get it exactly right. This is from the article...

The Problem

Traditional carnitas, Mexico’s version of shredded pork, is fried in gallons of lard or oil. The results are tasty, but who wants to deal with all that hot fat?

The Goal

We wanted to create restaurant-style carnitas—tender chunks of lightly crisped, caramelized pork, subtly accented with oregano and citrus—without the hassle of frying.

The Solution

Our initial recipe for carnitas started by simmering the meat (taste tests proved boneless pork butt had the best flavor) in a seasoned broth in the oven and then sautéing it in some of the rendered fat. The flavor was OK, but too much of the pork flavor went down the drain when we discarded the cooking liquid. So we kept the liquid and reduced it on the stovetop (after the meat had been removed) until it developed the consistency of a thick, syrupy glaze that was perfect for coating the meat. Broiled on a baking sheet, the glazed meat developed a wonderfully rich flavor but also became super-greasy. The solution was to place a rack in a baking pan to elevate the meat and allow excess fat to drip off. The flavors in the braising liquid also need refining. We emulated the flavor of the Mexican sour oranges used in authentic carnitas with a mixture of fresh lime and orange juices. Bay leaves and oregano provided aromatic notes, and cumin brought an earthy dimension that complemented the other flavors.
My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

offdee said:
Steve Tasker said:
As for the beer, I have 2 bottles of Newcastle lying around that I could use for this. Otherwise, I'm not sure I want to use the other bottles that I have here for the cooking (beer snob :football: ). I will probably just do that as I'd prefer it to be somewhat thick anyway.
You'll have to follow all the directions, but just want to make sure you're aware of the beer situation.- 1 bottle is to rehydrate the chili pods.....after done you strain out this beer (don't put it into the chili)- 1 bottle is actually added to the chili- 1 bottle is to use if needed to unthicken on reheatingSo, technically you could probably use some crappier beer to rehydrate the chilis and just use 1 good bottle of amber for the actual chili cooking.
Yes, I plan on 1 bottle to cook the chilis and 1 bottle for the actual cooking of the chili. Hopefully I won't need another bottle for unthickening.

offdee said:
Steve Tasker said:
As for the beer, I have 2 bottles of Newcastle lying around that I could use for this. Otherwise, I'm not sure I want to use the other bottles that I have here for the cooking (beer snob :bag: ). I will probably just do that as I'd prefer it to be somewhat thick anyway.
You'll have to follow all the directions, but just want to make sure you're aware of the beer situation.- 1 bottle is to rehydrate the chili pods.....after done you strain out this beer (don't put it into the chili)

- 1 bottle is actually added to the chili

- 1 bottle is to use if needed to unthicken on reheating

So, technically you could probably use some crappier beer to rehydrate the chilis and just use 1 good bottle of amber for the actual chili cooking.
I've always added 2 to the chili when cooking it the first time.

offdee said:
Steve Tasker said:
As for the beer, I have 2 bottles of Newcastle lying around that I could use for this. Otherwise, I'm not sure I want to use the other bottles that I have here for the cooking (beer snob :bag: ). I will probably just do that as I'd prefer it to be somewhat thick anyway.
You'll have to follow all the directions, but just want to make sure you're aware of the beer situation.- 1 bottle is to rehydrate the chili pods.....after done you strain out this beer (don't put it into the chili)

- 1 bottle is actually added to the chili

- 1 bottle is to use if needed to unthicken on reheating

So, technically you could probably use some crappier beer to rehydrate the chilis and just use 1 good bottle of amber for the actual chili cooking.
I've always added 2 to the chili when cooking it the first time.
It's a matter of preference if like it thicker or soupier. Safer to just do 1 bottle during the cook and then when time to eat (or reheating) would like it soupier add more of the 2nd bottle as needed.

I made this last weekend and pretty much followed Offdee's recipe which incorporated a bunch of suggestions. I had two chorizos on hand so I chopped them up and threw those in along w/ 2.5 lbs of hot Italian sausage (casings removed, finely chopped) and 3 lbs of diced stew meat. I also used a large can of dices plum tomatoes instead of the tomato soup and paste. I already had dried Pasilla and Guajillo peppers on hand, so I used those - I think they re of similar heat to those suggested in the recipe.I added some Mexican chocalate and also opted for two 13 oz cans of red kidney beans. I forget what beer I used but it was a local amber microbrew - one used for hydrating thte chiles, one for the original cook (Sat.) and one for the reheat on Sunday.

Net result was that I thought it was excellent but it tasted a kind of "boozey". And it's not like I didn't cook it long enough for the booze to burn off. And don't get me wrong - I love booze, but I think I might leave out the JD next time, or half it. I also might spice it up a bit more w/ some additional cayene, though I think it was just right spice wise for most people.

Net result was that I thought it was excellent but it tasted a kind of "boozey". And it's not like I didn't cook it long enough for the booze to burn off. And don't get me wrong - I love booze, but I think I might leave out the JD next time, or half it. I also might spice it up a bit more w/ some additional cayene, though I think it was just right spice wise for most people.
I've only made this once, but I was in the same boat...as noted above thought it was a little too sweet, but now that you say "boozey" I'm thinking maybe that is what I could've been getting as well. Not a bad taste per se, but one that just kind of became a little overwhelming after a while.My original thought was to not use the bakers chocoloate, but now I'm thinking I may also cut down (or out altogether) the whiskey.

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

8 qt pot or larger is needed.

30 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1.5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased. (or if like it spicier, 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb chorizo sausage)

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 regular sized can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 tablespoons of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

1 shot of Jack Daniels (Jim Beam also works)

1 ounce baker’s chocolate

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Simmering now. A few variations:- went a little heavy on the garlic....misread it and added a bit too much (didn't realize it said 6 cloves...I bought 6 heads of garlic). I cut one head and it gave me a ton of garlic....probably ended up with about 10-12 cloves in total, and I tossed it in instead of mincing the rest. Didn't realize my mistake until after I had already added it...we'll see how it goes.

- went with boneless chuck instead of "stew meat". Cut that into approximately sugarcube sized cubes.

- 5 Poblano peppers....very very finely diced, basically until they became a green paste - I don't have a blender.

- Jim Beam "Black" instead of Jack. I have both, but prefer the Jim Beam, so I figured I'd use it.

Hopefully it turns out fine....smells delicious at the moment.

Judge Smails said:
By the way, doing my annual Breeder's Cup/Poker extravaganza tomorrow night. I'll be hosting a Mexican Feast before we throw the shingles. Taco bar - handmade fresh tortillas, all the fixins, carne asada, chicken and a carnitas recipe I saw on Diner's Drive In's and Dives that looked spectacular. If it's as good as I think it is, you may see another Legendary recipe post. Have 2 whole Boston Butt Shoulders on the ready.
: :lmao: :rolleyes:

george said:
Can't recall the brewery, but I have a couple of Chocolate Stout beers in my fridge that were too heavy for me (thicker than Guiness).Thoughts on using them for the chili?
go for it. i'm pretty sure one of the beer guys did this and it turned out great.

Gonna make up a half batch of this today. Plan to take my recipe posted and make a few adjustments on what I think I personally may like better....no bakers chocolate, no whiskey, add some chorizo sausage, add some black beans and add some noodles.

Looking forward to cookin' it up while watching games today.

Gonna make up a half batch of this today. Plan to take my recipe posted and make a few adjustments on what I think I personally may like better....no bakers chocolate, no whiskey, add some chorizo sausage, add some black beans and add some noodles.Looking forward to cookin' it up while watching games today.
Noodles? Really?

I thought the batch that I made yesterday was just superb. I will definitely make it again.

The heat was just right for us...I used 1.5 lbs of mild sausage and 1.5 lbs of hot sausage, as there was no medium option at the store. I didn't get any of the boozy taste, although I'll admit that it smelled like liquor for the first 30 or so minutes of simmering. I only used 1 bottle of beer in the cooking though - 1 bottle of Newcastle mixed in with the broth, etc. I used 1 bottle of Bass to cook the peppers before making the chili, and used 2 oz ( :woz: ) of Jim Beam Black in the mix. We did add kidney beans at the end, and they were fine.

I'm not sure how the individual components play off one another, but I'm not sure if I'll change a thing next time I make it. Even though I added nearly 2x as much garlic as the recipe called for, I thought it still tasted fine and wasn't over-garlicky.

This one?... I dunno, looks pretty basic. Im sure its good, but not sure Im seeing anything that is going to live up to the "legendariness" of the chili.I was long on the hunt for the perfect carnitas recipe and (not surprisingly) I found it on cooksillustrated.com. They dont just post a recipe someone thinks tastes good. They take hundreds of pounds of pork and spend days/weeks/months in the test kitchen refining their recipes based on feedback from qualified blind taste-testers until they get it exactly right. This is from the article...

The Problem

Traditional carnitas, Mexico’s version of shredded pork, is fried in gallons of lard or oil. The results are tasty, but who wants to deal with all that hot fat?

The Goal

We wanted to create restaurant-style carnitas—tender chunks of lightly crisped, caramelized pork, subtly accented with oregano and citrus—without the hassle of frying.

The Solution

Our initial recipe for carnitas started by simmering the meat (taste tests proved boneless pork butt had the best flavor) in a seasoned broth in the oven and then sautéing it in some of the rendered fat. The flavor was OK, but too much of the pork flavor went down the drain when we discarded the cooking liquid. So we kept the liquid and reduced it on the stovetop (after the meat had been removed) until it developed the consistency of a thick, syrupy glaze that was perfect for coating the meat. Broiled on a baking sheet, the glazed meat developed a wonderfully rich flavor but also became super-greasy. The solution was to place a rack in a baking pan to elevate the meat and allow excess fat to drip off. The flavors in the braising liquid also need refining. We emulated the flavor of the Mexican sour oranges used in authentic carnitas with a mixture of fresh lime and orange juices. Bay leaves and oregano provided aromatic notes, and cumin brought an earthy dimension that complemented the other flavors.
not close. Phenomenal carnitas. Guys still raving about it. You look at the recipe and go - really? 3 generations of Latinas at a restaurant getting rave reviews in Phoenix - they know what they are doing - trust me.I saw it on Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives". It's from a restaurant called Los Taquitos in Phoenix. It doesn't call for lard, in fact they recommend you remove some of the fat from the pork before cooking, but adding the evaporated milk adds some fat back in.

Ingredients 1 pork butt (bone in) **Use a Boston Butt, which, as you may know, is actually a pork shoulder

1 bulb of garlic, cut across to expose the ends of the cloves

1 can condensed milk **they say "condensed milk", but I would call it "evaporated milk" to keep people from being confused with sweetened condensed milk, which is the thick, really sweet stuff

1 can cola

2 cinnamon sticks

Salt maybe 1-2 teaspoons? Use your judgment. I'd go easy on the salt

Preparation Cut up the pork butt into about 4 pieces (leaving the bone in) and put the pieces in the bottom of a dutch oven. Pour the condensed milk over the top. Pour the Coke over the top. Add the two cinnamon sticks, garlic, and salt. Add a little bit of water, not so much that the meat is covered, but so the liquid is 1/2 to 3/4 to the top of the meat. (see video) Cover and simmer on medium-low for 2 hours. Uncover, remove meat from pot, pull apart with forks into small chunks and fry in a dry pan (there's plenty-o-fat on that pork butt, but you could add oil if you so desire) until edges are a little crisp. Put on top of 2 small warmed corn tortillas (so you have a double thickness), add chopped onion, cilantro, cabbage, and homemade salsa. I'd squeeze a little fresh lime juice on each one too. **I'd serve this with fresh guacamole, and my homemade salsa, which I make from tomatoes, diced onions (red or vidalia work well), sliced scallions, chopped jalapeno to taste, and chopped cilantro leaves.

Gonna make up a half batch of this today. Plan to take my recipe posted and make a few adjustments on what I think I personally may like better....no bakers chocolate, no whiskey, add some chorizo sausage, add some black beans and add some noodles.Looking forward to cookin' it up while watching games today.
Noodles? Really?
I know, noodles shouldnt be in chili but gonna make them separately and just add some into my first bowl to try it out. Last time I made this, it became too thick and meaty to me so gonna see if some noodles break it up a bit. If no good, than no harm no foul and just wont add them at all.We're about an hour into simmer mode...smelling fantastic.

Noodles? Really?
I know, noodles shouldnt be in chili but gonna make them separately and just add some into my first bowl to try it out. Last time I made this, it became too thick and meaty to me so gonna see if some noodles break it up a bit. If no good, than no harm no foul and just wont add them at all.We're about an hour into simmer mode...smelling fantastic.
You're killing me. Where do you live? The further you are from Texas or the South the less offensive this is but it's still bad.You could put it over pasta like they do in Cincinnati although that's a pretty severe bastardization of this kind of chili. This is basically authentic Texas style chili. (as long as you leave the beans out). But even with the beans, it's a Texas style chili. That's nothing like the hot dog topping that passes for Cincinnati chili.I know you fancy yourself a fashion guy. Imagine the most glaring fashion error you can think of. Whatever that is, it's not as bad as putting noodles in this chili.J

Last edited by a moderator:
A few alterations, but I pulled this off today. Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Makers for the booze. Turned out great. :wub:

A few alterations, but I pulled this off today. Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Makers for the booze. Turned out great. :wub:
Can you taste the spices from the Christmas Ale? Not a big fan of (drinking) it myself, but it might be awesome in the chili.

A few alterations, but I pulled this off today. Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Makers for the booze. Turned out great. :fishing:
Can you taste the spices from the Christmas Ale? Not a big fan of (drinking) it myself, but it might be awesome in the chili.
Yep. It's not overpowering, but it's there. I love that beer. It wasn't my intention to use it, though. When I was out shopping for supplies this morning, I found out that you can't by beer before 11am in KY :XLuckily, I had one left over in the fridge from last night. I'd recommend it. :scared:

Noodles? Really?
OK Fashion Guy. Just stop it. Your cooking card is offically revoked here unless an admission of white trashness is made. In fact, white trash is too good for this. What's next? Ketchup and Kraft Chicken & Noodles sandwiches? Mayo with peanut butter? Your food prep comments will be ignored until you fess up, shut up and learn for a while Fashion Boy ...

OK Fashion Guy. Just stop it. Your cooking card is offically revoked here unless an admission of white trashness is made. In fact, white trash is too good for this. What's next? Ketchup and Kraft Chicken & Noodles sandwiches? Mayo with peanut butter? Your food prep comments will be ignored until you fess up, shut up and learn for a while Fashion Boy ...
:lol: noodles = serious business.I made a small amount and added some to one bowl to try it out...realized better without them. All is right in the world again.

:lol: noodles = serious business.I made a small amount and added some to one bowl to try it out...realized better without them. All is right in the world again.
you know the drill ...#### one #### ...yeow ..self edit - how did that get by?

You look at the recipe and go - really? 3 generations of Latinas at a restaurant getting rave reviews in Phoenix - they know what they are doing - trust me.

Ingredients 1 pork butt (bone in) **Use a Boston Butt, which, as you may know, is actually a pork shoulder

1 can condensed milk **they say "condensed milk", but I would call it "evaporated milk" to keep people from being confused with sweetened condensed milk, which is the thick, really sweet stuff

1 can cola

2 cinnamon sticks

Preparation Cut up the pork butt into about 4 pieces (leaving the bone in) and put the pieces in the bottom of a dutch oven. Pour the condensed milk over the top. Pour the Coke over the top. Add the two cinnamon sticks, garlic, and salt. Add a little bit of water, not so much that the meat is covered, but so the liquid is 1/2 to 3/4 to the top of the meat. (see video) Cover and simmer on medium-low for 2 hours. Uncover, remove meat from pot, pull apart with forks into small chunks and fry in a dry pan (there's plenty-o-fat on that pork butt, but you could add oil if you so desire) until edges are a little crisp. Put on top of 2 small warmed corn tortillas (so you have a double thickness), add chopped onion, cilantro, cabbage, and homemade salsa. I'd squeeze a little fresh lime juice on each one too. **I'd serve this with fresh guacamole, and my homemade salsa, which I make from tomatoes, diced onions (red or vidalia work well), sliced scallions, chopped jalapeno to taste, and chopped cilantro leaves.
This is usually what makes me want to try something. The stranger, the better. The cinnamon concerns me the most as Im not much of a fan, but Ill definitely give it a try. :) The cooking process is very similar to the one I like.

:lmao: noodles = serious business.I made a small amount and added some to one bowl to try it out...realized better without them. All is right in the world again.
:lmao: Sorry, I was mostly just giving you a hard time. Noodles aren't serious. But Texas chili is for some. But I'm also a big believer that you should do what you like and what you think tastes good. I do like some of the "purist" stuff for food but it's good to get out side the lines. Do what you like for reasons that you like and like what tastes good. J

Made this with a couple changes:

• Diced 3/4 lb. of hot pancetta (italian style bacon) and rendered it down. Removed the pancetta and used the grease to brown the diced chuck roast.

• Used a 2.5 lb. boneless chuck roast that I smoked for 2.5 hours. Just long enough for the smokey flavor, not cooked completely thru. I then let the meat rest 1 hour before dicing into bite size cubes. Then dusted it with corn flour and browned the meat in my stock pot.

Turned out great. I was worried that the smoke flavor would over power the chili but that wasn't the case.

I tried this this past Sunday.It was different but I liked it !I'll be making this again :shrug: I cut the recipe down to about 60% as I was only cooking for two.I did keep it covered while cooking and it was kind of soupy. After a night in the fridge, it thickened up perfectly.It is way different than what I normally do!
How much did it make for you?I am only cooking for two as well, but I would like some leftovers to freeze and serve as a quick reheat dinner later on.
It made enough that I had it for a couple of nights after that....just the right amount. I would say I had a little more than half left over for the fridgeAny more and it probably wouldn't have been eatenI never froze though...just fridged and ate.

Also - a little bit of baker's chocolate does a lot. You won't be able to hardly notice but people will know there is something different and better about your chili.J
Joe, this sounds interesting. How much baker's chocolate are you talking here?
1 ounce is what I use.J
Try using mole'. That is the Mexican sauce that has chocolate with some spices. Next time you make chili take a small portion to a separate pot and add a tsp of mole. Very interesting to compare the two versions. I believe chocolate should be added towards the end (last 10-15 minutes) for best results. Simmering too long can cause the oil in the chocolate to separate. Anyone know for sure?

Also - a little bit of baker's chocolate does a lot. You won't be able to hardly notice but people will know there is something different and better about your chili.J
Joe, this sounds interesting. How much baker's chocolate are you talking here?
1 ounce is what I use.J
Try using mole'. That is the Mexican sauce that has chocolate with some spices. Next time you make chili take a small portion to a separate pot and add a tsp of mole. Very interesting to compare the two versions. I believe chocolate should be added towards the end (last 10-15 minutes) for best results. Simmering too long can cause the oil in the chocolate to separate. Anyone know for sure?
I have never heard of the oils separating before. I usually use 80% cocoa Belgian chocolate. I simmered my chili this past weekend for a long time (3+ hours on Friday night, then slowly reheated it on Saturday for serving) and had no issues with the chocolate separating. I haven't tried the mole but it sounds interesting. The later you put ingredients into the chili, the more pronounced the flavor will be. (usually).

I have never heard of the oils separating before. I usually use 80% cocoa Belgian chocolate. I simmered my chili this past weekend for a long time (3+ hours on Friday night, then slowly reheated it on Saturday for serving) and had no issues with the chocolate separating. I haven't tried the mole but it sounds interesting. The later you put ingredients into the chili, the more pronounced the flavor will be. (usually).
How would you even know? The recipe includes enough pork sausage and stew meat to create a slick that would shame the Exxon Valdez.

Made my 2nd batch this past weekend with some tweaks. First batch a while back seemed a little too "sweet" and not enough spice for my liking....to help, I removed the baker's chocolate and whiskey and went with some chorizo sausage.

Also didn't want to make so much so went half batch and took the easy way out with the chiles and just went with chili powder instead.

So, below is that half batch, quick mix that turned out excellent! (I preferred it much more than the first round)

------------------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour 3/4 bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

Cook in 8 qt pot or larger.

45 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/6 Cup of Olive Oil

3/4 pounds of stew meat – cut up the pieces as small as possible, no bigger than size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

1 pound of pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased.

1/2 pound of chorizo sausage - get it ground up, uncased.

1.5 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 1.5 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

4 cloves of garlic minced

1/4 cup of chili powder

1/2 regular sized can of tomato paste

1/2 regular sized can of tomato soup

12 oz. black beans

1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

1 tsp oregano

1 tablespoons of dried cumin

1 bay leaf

1/4 tsp of black pepper

1 tsp of salt

6.5 oz of beef broth

2 bottles of amber beer (use 1 bottle in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min (covered). Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the pork browns. Add the stew meat and chorizo, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili powder, 1 full bottle of amber beer, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1.5 hours. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering). Add strained black beans and simmer for additonal 20mins (keep uncovered)

** When reheat the day after, put all back into the big 8qt. pot and add 3/4 bottle of amber beer.

Garnish with green onion and cheese.

I have made chili before but never with the beer, so I'm interested in the flavor difference. I have a modified version of this going on the stove right now. Here's a list of what I changed. Right now its smells crazy good and people are wandering in trying to steal it.

1. No olive oil, sub 1 pound of diced bacon cooked down and then toss the onions into that.

2. 3.5 pounds stew meat and 1.5 pounds pork instead of 5/1.

3. 10 cloves garlic and 1 tbsp of garlic power instead of 6 cloves garlic.

4. 28oz can of diced tomatoes instead of the tomato paste, still used the tomato soup.

5. Chicken broth instead of beef broth because its what I had.

6. Roasted 8 anaheim chilies and peeled them and then diced. Also, added 1 tsp of chipotle powder for spice.

Can't wait for it to cook down. :goodposting:

The Problem

The Goal

The Solution

not close. Phenomenal carnitas. Guys still raving about it. You look at the recipe and go - really? 3 generations of Latinas at a restaurant getting rave reviews in Phoenix - they know what they are doing - trust me.I saw it on Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives". It's from a restaurant called Los Taquitos in Phoenix. It doesn't call for lard, in fact they recommend you remove some of the fat from the pork before cooking, but adding the evaporated milk adds some fat back in.

1 can cola

2 cinnamon sticks

Made this last night. Pretty meh. Very tender. Flavor was good but nothing exceptional. My home made salsa saved them.My normal pork tacos start with regular BBQ pulled pork and add lots of poblano chiles and onions, garlic and chile powder. Like them better. :thumbup:

J

I have made chili before but never with the beer, so I'm interested in the flavor difference. I have a modified version of this going on the stove right now. Here's a list of what I changed. Right now its smells crazy good and people are wandering in trying to steal it.1. No olive oil, sub 1 pound of diced bacon cooked down and then toss the onions into that.2. 3.5 pounds stew meat and 1.5 pounds pork instead of 5/1.3. 10 cloves garlic and 1 tbsp of garlic power instead of 6 cloves garlic.4. 28oz can of diced tomatoes instead of the tomato paste, still used the tomato soup.5. Chicken broth instead of beef broth because its what I had.6. Roasted 8 anaheim chilies and peeled them and then diced. Also, added 1 tsp of chipotle powder for spice.Can't wait for it to cook down. :thumbup:
Those are some interesting changes. How'd it come out?

I have made chili before but never with the beer, so I'm interested in the flavor difference. I have a modified version of this going on the stove right now. Here's a list of what I changed. Right now its smells crazy good and people are wandering in trying to steal it.1. No olive oil, sub 1 pound of diced bacon cooked down and then toss the onions into that.2. 3.5 pounds stew meat and 1.5 pounds pork instead of 5/1.3. 10 cloves garlic and 1 tbsp of garlic power instead of 6 cloves garlic.4. 28oz can of diced tomatoes instead of the tomato paste, still used the tomato soup.5. Chicken broth instead of beef broth because its what I had.6. Roasted 8 anaheim chilies and peeled them and then diced. Also, added 1 tsp of chipotle powder for spice.Can't wait for it to cook down. :lmao:
:shrug: I'd expect this to be good.You can hardly ever go wrong adding bacon fat, more chiles and more garlic to chili.Chicken broth won't make any difference. I don't really like to be able to discern chunks of tomatoes like you may get with diced tomatoes over paste but not a big deal.Bet it's good.J

Joe Bryant said:

The Problem

The Goal

The Solution

1 can cola

2 cinnamon sticks

Made this last night. Pretty meh. Very tender. Flavor was good but nothing exceptional. My home made salsa saved them.My normal pork tacos start with regular BBQ pulled pork and add lots of poblano chiles and onions, garlic and chile powder. Like them better. :eek:

J
Joe, can you link me to your recipe for this amazing salsa? There is nothing better on a Sunday than football and reading your cooking posts. :shock:

Joe Bryant said:
madshot31 said:
I have made chili before but never with the beer, so I'm interested in the flavor difference. I have a modified version of this going on the stove right now. Here's a list of what I changed. Right now its smells crazy good and people are wandering in trying to steal it.1. No olive oil, sub 1 pound of diced bacon cooked down and then toss the onions into that.2. 3.5 pounds stew meat and 1.5 pounds pork instead of 5/1.3. 10 cloves garlic and 1 tbsp of garlic power instead of 6 cloves garlic.4. 28oz can of diced tomatoes instead of the tomato paste, still used the tomato soup.5. Chicken broth instead of beef broth because its what I had.6. Roasted 8 anaheim chilies and peeled them and then diced. Also, added 1 tsp of chipotle powder for spice.Can't wait for it to cook down. :excited:
:cry: I'd expect this to be good.You can hardly ever go wrong adding bacon fat, more chiles and more garlic to chili.Chicken broth won't make any difference. I don't really like to be able to discern chunks of tomatoes like you may get with diced tomatoes over paste but not a big deal.Bet it's good.J
Everything was great. Couldn't tell the difference with the broth. I really liked how the beer worked into it but you could still taste everything else. The bacon addition is a keeper in my book. Next time I'll add another 4-6 cloves garlic and add some more New Mexico chili power and/or chilies. It was a little light on the spice and I'm not a huge spicy food person. I would have also gone with the tomato paste but the people I had over really like chunky tomatoes in anything. Overall, very solid. :thumbup:

Joe, can you link me to your recipe for this amazing salsa? There is nothing better on a Sunday than football and reading your cooking posts. :rolleyes:
Hi John,Wouldn't call it amazing but I like it. Really simple and easy.1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes1/2 red onion1/2 bunch cilantrojuice of 2 limes1 tsp sugar1 TBS honey1/2 TBS olive oilpinch kosher salt1 clove garlic1 tsp cumin1 jalapeño pepper1 Serrano pepperPulse to combine in food processor.Tweak the peppers to get the heat you want. This is pretty medium. You can add more jalapeños or Serranos or even haberneros to get the heat that you want.J

Joe, can you link me to your recipe for this amazing salsa? There is nothing better on a Sunday than football and reading your cooking posts. :rolleyes:
Hi John,Wouldn't call it amazing but I like it. Really simple and easy.

1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes

1/2 red onion

1/2 bunch cilantro

juice of 2 limes

1 tsp sugar

1 TBS honey

1/2 TBS olive oil

pinch kosher salt

1 clove garlic

1 tsp cumin

1 jalapeño pepper

1 Serrano pepper

Pulse to combine in food processor.

Tweak the peppers to get the heat you want. This is pretty medium. You can add more jalapeños or Serranos or even haberneros to get the heat that you want.

J
It's Rohn, not John.

Joe, can you link me to your recipe for this amazing salsa? There is nothing better on a Sunday than football and reading your cooking posts. :thumbup:
Hi John,Wouldn't call it amazing but I like it. Really simple and easy.

1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes

1/2 red onion

1/2 bunch cilantro

juice of 2 limes

1 tsp sugar

1 TBS honey

1/2 TBS olive oil

pinch kosher salt

1 clove garlic

1 tsp cumin

1 jalapeño pepper

1 Serrano pepper

Pulse to combine in food processor.

Tweak the peppers to get the heat you want. This is pretty medium. You can add more jalapeños or Serranos or even haberneros to get the heat that you want.

J
It's Rohn, not John.
:lmao: J

Thanks Harry, I used about a tablespoon.

Everything turned out really good. I added 2 habenero peppers but I sure don't notice it. I think next time I might try to add 4. Last thing I want to do is make it too hot.

Question regarding the original recipe posted in the first post....

Whats the purpose of the shot of Jack?

I noticed in the list of ingredients the poster said to have 36 oz of beer (flat tire), but in the instructions it says to add 24 oz of beer. So what happened to the other 12 oz? Did he drink it? Is it a back up if the chili is too thick? The next day or so when I reheat the chili, do I use it then?

Thanks,

Sushi

It's not fought at all, the hardest part is finding the dried peppers.

Get a deep pan, add the peppers (take off the stems) add the beer, bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer ~20 min.

When it's done toss it in the food processor. It will likely stick to the sides/bottom of the processor, so I usually add the rest of the liquid to that (24oz beer and beef stock) and use that to get the rest of the stuff out.

Users who are viewing this thread