What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

I'm making this for a church youth group event this Friday. As such, I don't think that it would be a great idea to use beer even though the alcohol will all cook out. Any ideas for a substitution there? Just more beef broth? I was thinking of maybe some apple juice or sparkling apple juice to cut in some sweetness into the beef broth.
As you said, the alcohol will cook out. Absolutely no reason not to use beer.
Sure there is. All it takes is one uptight parent to get their panties in a bunch and I'd be in hot water. And since I'm looking to get my teaching certificate in the future, that would not bode well. Even if I'm totally in the right, that doesn't mean that I still wouldn't lose against an irrational parent flying off the handle.
You've got to be kidding, right?Are all religious people like this?Chicken Marsala down?Using alcohol to cook is not a new thing, any sane, halfway intelligent parent will know this.

After eating leftovers of this I've come to the realization that there is just a bit too much stew meat for my liking. Next time I make it I'm going 3lbs of spicy pork sausage and 1.5lbs of stew meat (cut into very small, sugar cube size pieces)

After eating leftovers of this I've come to the realization that there is just a bit too much stew meat for my liking. Next time I make it I'm going 3lbs of spicy pork sausage and 1.5lbs of stew meat (cut into very small, sugar cube size pieces)
That's funny, I just finished up a bowl of leftover Judge Smails'.I do a scaled down version, but I pretty much only cut down the beef to about 2 lbs and leave everything else mostly the same. I don't have a vessel big enough to handle 5 lb., which seems like an awful lot of beef to me.

I'm making this for a church youth group event this Friday. As such, I don't think that it would be a great idea to use beer even though the alcohol will all cook out. Any ideas for a substitution there? Just more beef broth? I was thinking of maybe some apple juice or sparkling apple juice to cut in some sweetness into the beef broth.
Sure there is. All it takes is one uptight parent to get their panties in a bunch and I'd be in hot water. And since I'm looking to get my teaching certificate in the future, that would not bode well. Even if I'm totally in the right, that doesn't mean that I still wouldn't lose against an irrational parent flying off the handle.
You've got to be kidding, right?Are all religious people like this?Chicken Marsala down?Using alcohol to cook is not a new thing, any sane, halfway intelligent parent will know this.
Catholics don't have this problem. :banned:

Don't take the bait.

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)

Don't know that I have every seen these. Are they in most grocery stores, or will I need to go somewhere special to get these?

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)Don't know that I have every seen these. Are they in most grocery stores, or will I need to go somewhere special to get these?
You'll need to go to an upscale grocery. I used Chipotles in Adobo sauce, and it came out excellent.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.1/3 Cup of Olive Oil5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)1 pound of pork sausage3 large onions chopped6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)1 small can of tomato paste1 can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper2 tsp oregano2 TS of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt13 oz of beef broth36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)1 shot of Jack Daniels34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans) Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside. In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup. Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time. Garnish with green onion and cheese.
think this would be good in a slow cooker? Just reduce the liquids going in?

from boots11234

If you have a smoker try this recipe. I use it on my big green egg

olive oil

1.5 lb. ground chuck

1 lb. Italian sausage (casing removed)

2 cups onion (chopped)

1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)

2 jalapenos (seeded and chopped fine)

1 Tbs. garlic (minced)

1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes and liquid

1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes and liquid

1 can Rotel

2 cans (15 oz. each) pinto or dark kidney beans (drained)

3 Tbs. chili powder

1.5 Tbs. ground cumin

1 tsp. cocoa powder

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 bay leaves

1 tsp. tabasco sauce

1 tsp. dried oregano

3 Tbs. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub

2 cups beef broth

1 cup dry red wine

2-3 dried chili peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top

salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

wood chunks

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up).

Place cast iron dutch oven on the plate setter and allow it to warm up.

Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.

Add 2 Tbs. olive oil to dutch oven, then add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon).

Close lid and cook for 1-1.5 hours, stirring every 10-15 minutes.

Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add olive oil and sauté onions, green pepper, and jalapenos until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours

Remove bay leaves, dried chiles and serve.
Made a huge batch using venison.6 lb's of ground venison and I also had a some shops and some steaks. I cut those pieces up and smoked then on the grill for about 2 hrs and then into the crock-pot while I prepped the rest.

The juice went into the main pot as well.

Picked up a nice undertone of the hickory smoke.

I am loving it. Smoky venison chilli :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Making this stuff right now. If anyone is around that has made this before, do you leave it uncovered during the simmering stage so some of the liquid evaporates?

Making this stuff right now. If anyone is around that has made this before, do you leave it uncovered during the simmering stage so some of the liquid evaporates?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I screwed that up and covered it and it was too watery, although still outstanding.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I screwed that up and covered it and it was too watery, although still outstanding.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking when I got to that point. I figured if it got too think, I could add some more beer if needed (or water), or simply cover it.But I hate adding masa or flour to thicken chili up. Makes it a bit pasty to me.This is my first time trying it. It smells wonderful.

Very, very good flavor. As has been mentioned by others, too much stew meat in relation to the rest. Will probably cut it down to 3-4 pounds and add in some chorizo or other sausage.

Also, still a bit liquidy for me. Might have to cut about a 1/2 to a full beer out.

Just finished this. Made a few minor tweaks.

Dayton, Ohio, as culturally diverse as it is, did not have New Mexico Chiles at Kroger's. I instead used a can of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. Used the whole can, so 6 or 7 jalapenos.

Went 4 pounds beef, 2 pounds sausage. I too think a 3/3 ratio might be even better.

Everything else, went by the recipe. I didn't add the beans, cause I'm taking this to a bonfire tomorrow night and I'm just going to throw the beans in the crock pot an hour ahead of time.

Had a bowl and :) .

It will definitely be too spicy for most people, but it is on point for me. May only add a few chipotles next time.

Great stuff. Will be my go-to chilli from now on. :yes:
Just not seeing this. It was not spicy at all.

If you don't use flank steak, your chili is AA minor league, at best.
Help me out a little here then. Your saying to buy flank steak, cut it up into bite size pieces like the stew meat and use it instead of stew meat?Is this common knowledge among chili experts? Or your personal opinion?

I also have an important question that needs addressed. The recipe we have been posting about calls for "pork sausage". However by definition pork sausage is the same thing as ground pork but it is seasoned, ground pork is the unseasoned version. What kind of "pork sausage" are you guys using?

I used just plain old ground pork and not pork sausage. Like I asked, if I am better off using "pork sausage", which kind did you use and did you notice the flavor in the chili?

Thanks
I used a chub of Jimmy Dean

Tried this for the first time last night. Not much of a cook so I stuck to the directions. Turned out really good. Biggest mistakes were not cutting the beef small enough and chickening out an only using two onions. I really want to try either the chocolate or the honey. would like a more sweet and hot flavor.
I did the same. I bought 3, but after cutting up 2 into a bowl it just seemed like soooo much and I stopped.

Tried this for the first time last night. Not much of a cook so I stuck to the directions. Turned out really good. Biggest mistakes were not cutting the beef small enough and chickening out an only using two onions. I really want to try either the chocolate or the honey. would like a more sweet and hot flavor.
After I diced up the 3 large onions I thought the same thing. This is too much. Granted, I like onions, but I still think the final product is a nice blend. Don't be afraid next time, use all 3 large onions. Remember they cook down and I never once thought the chili was dominated by onions. Again, after they cook down and the rest of the ingredients are added, it comes together with a nice blend.
I think I will go with the 3 next time, because I didn't notice any onions at all after everything cooked down.

Looking forward to making this again, I screwed up the first time by not draining the peppers before pureeing them, and it took way longer than I wanted to cook off the excess liquid.

I made sure to cut the beef up really small (took FOREVER) and it was worth it, although I did do 50/50 beef/sausage.

I used store brand pork sausaage that came in packages of 16 or 20 links. Each little link had a special little casing, almost like a present from hell for me as I had to slice each one open, and squeeze out the inside for the chili, that too was worth it but I wish there were an easier way, may just go with ground pork next time.

Also may try the bakers chocolate thing...anyone care to explain to me what the deal is with that? Why chocolate...doesn't sound right but I believe it makes it great.

Just finished this. Made a few minor tweaks.

Dayton, Ohio, as culturally diverse as it is, did not have New Mexico Chiles at Kroger's. I instead used a can of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. Used the whole can, so 6 or 7 jalapenos.

Went 4 pounds beef, 2 pounds sausage. I too think a 3/3 ratio might be even better.

Everything else, went by the recipe. I didn't add the beans, cause I'm taking this to a bonfire tomorrow night and I'm just going to throw the beans in the crock pot an hour ahead of time.

Had a bowl and :shrug: .

It will definitely be too spicy for most people, but it is on point for me. May only add a few chipotles next time.

Great stuff. Will be my go-to chilli from now on. :hey:
Just not seeing this. It was not spicy at all.
I was referring to the people I made it for. Mine came out about 6.5/10 on the heat scale.

Very, very good flavor. As has been mentioned by others, too much stew meat in relation to the rest. Will probably cut it down to 3-4 pounds and add in some chorizo or other sausage.Also, still a bit liquidy for me. Might have to cut about a 1/2 to a full beer out.
I always make this the day before I want to eat it for this reason. The 1 night soaks up a lot of the liquid and it's always perfect.

Very, very good flavor. As has been mentioned by others, too much stew meat in relation to the rest. Will probably cut it down to 3-4 pounds and add in some chorizo or other sausage.Also, still a bit liquidy for me. Might have to cut about a 1/2 to a full beer out.
I always make this the day before I want to eat it for this reason. The 1 night soaks up a lot of the liquid and it's always perfect.
Yeah, I noticed this. We ate some Sat night, then I put the leftovers in a crock pot and put it in the fridge. I brought it out yesterday and took it over to my buddy's house while we watched the playoff games. The consistency was perfect Sunday.

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

8 qt pot or larger is needed.

30 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

3 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased.

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 regular sized can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 tablespoons of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

1 shot of Jack Daniels (Jim Beam also works)

1 ounce baker’s chocolate

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
So how many people does this serve?

So how many people does this serve?
A bunch. I served it to 5 guys and still have over 1/4 left.Next time I make it I'll probably just cut all of the ingredients in half.The other tweak I'll be making is less stew meat and adding in some Chorizo...something like this:- 2 pounds spicy pork sausage- 1.5 pounds stew meat (cut into small sugar cube sized..can't stress this enough)- 1 pound spicy chorizo sausage

from boots11234

If you have a smoker try this recipe. I use it on my big green egg

olive oil

1.5 lb. ground chuck

1 lb. Italian sausage (casing removed)

2 cups onion (chopped)

1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)

2 jalapenos (seeded and chopped fine)

1 Tbs. garlic (minced)

1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes and liquid

1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes and liquid

1 can Rotel

2 cans (15 oz. each) pinto or dark kidney beans (drained)

3 Tbs. chili powder

1.5 Tbs. ground cumin

1 tsp. cocoa powder

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 bay leaves

1 tsp. tabasco sauce

1 tsp. dried oregano

3 Tbs. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub

2 cups beef broth

1 cup dry red wine

2-3 dried chili peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top

salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

wood chunks

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up).

Place cast iron dutch oven on the plate setter and allow it to warm up.

Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.

Add 2 Tbs. olive oil to dutch oven, then add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon).

Close lid and cook for 1-1.5 hours, stirring every 10-15 minutes.

Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add olive oil and sauté onions, green pepper, and jalapenos until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours

Remove bay leaves, dried chiles and serve.
Made a huge batch using venison.6 lb's of ground venison and I also had a some shops and some steaks. I cut those pieces up and smoked then on the grill for about 2 hrs and then into the crock-pot while I prepped the rest.

The juice went into the main pot as well.

Picked up a nice undertone of the hickory smoke.

I am loving it. Smoky venison chilli :bag:
About to try the OP recipe with my venison. :goodposting:

Made it with some venison stew and ground from this year's doe. I know I violated the "no ground in chili" rule but I didn't have a ton of stew pcs, didn't want to sacrifice any steaks, and wanted to keep it all venison. So in went the ground. Bumped the garlic and subbed 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup for the brown sugar/honey, a little more than the recipe calls for because my wife and I our chili a little on the sweet side. Came out awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :thumbup:

Made it with some venison stew and ground from this year's doe. I know I violated the "no ground in chili" rule but I didn't have a ton of stew pcs, didn't want to sacrifice any steaks, and wanted to keep it all venison. So in went the ground. Bumped the garlic and subbed 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup for the brown sugar/honey, a little more than the recipe calls for because my wife and I our chili a little on the sweet side. Came out awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :thumbup:
Which recipe did you use, cause the one in the OP did not call for brown sugar or honey.

Didn't see this posted but a great chili compliment:

Jalapeno cornbread

Preheat oven to 450

Ingredients

2 eggs

2 tbsps vegetable oil

3/4 cup milk(buttermilk is better)

2 cups yellow corn meal

8 oz can cream style corn

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons(adjust for heat) chopped jalapeno peppers

Directions

grease a 9 X 12 baking pan

beat egg in mixing bowl

add remaining ingredients

stir until blended

pour into pan

bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown

makes 12 servings

This is not a "light you on fire" recipe. More for a group. You can make it hotter if you like.

Jalapeno cornbread

Preheat oven to 450

Ingredients

2 eggs

2 tbsps vegetable oil

2 cups yellow corn meal

Directions

beat egg in mixing bowl

stir until blended

pour into pan

makes 12 servings

This is not a "light you on fire" recipe. More for a group. You can make it hotter if you like.
:shrug:

Jalapeno cornbread

Preheat oven to 450

Ingredients

2 eggs

2 tbsps vegetable oil

2 cups yellow corn meal

Directions

beat egg in mixing bowl

stir until blended

pour into pan

makes 12 servings

:rolleyes:
And if you really want to clog your arteries, fry the batter like salmon patties.

bryhamm said:
JetMaxx said:
Made it with some venison stew and ground from this year's doe. I know I violated the "no ground in chili" rule but I didn't have a ton of stew pcs, didn't want to sacrifice any steaks, and wanted to keep it all venison. So in went the ground. Bumped the garlic and subbed 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup for the brown sugar/honey, a little more than the recipe calls for because my wife and I our chili a little on the sweet side. Came out awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :thumbdown:
Which recipe did you use, cause the one in the OP did not call for brown sugar or honey.
You are right, the OP did not call for the sweet stuff. Later posts introduced the baker's chocolate(which I used-2oz) and the brown sugar/honey. A fine upgrade for those who like it a little sweeter and less bitter. To those who asked about the tomato soup, I failed to mention that I subbed the 28oz can of plum tomatoes for the soup and kept the tomato paste. I broke them up as I added them and it worked out great.

Are the beans in the recipe dried beans or canned chili beans?

I used canned the first time, but I was curious.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 4 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage

1 pound of mild italian sausage

3 large onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) 5 Tbls chili powder

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of tomato soup

1 2 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 1 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)

1 shot of Jack Daniels Seagrams

34 45 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans)
Had my 2nd batch of this today. I made it last night, then put it in the fridge, then put it on the stove on simmer about 10 this morning. I noted my changes above in red. As others have mentioned, I wanted just a little less stew meat and more sausage. I doubled the cayenne to give it a bit more kick, and I think 2 is just the right amount for my family. I could stand it to be a bit hotter, but this was the perfect amount for everyone. The first time I made it, it was just a smidge too salty, so I cut that in half. I didn't have any JD at home like I thought I did, so I used Seagrams instead. I used 3 cans (15oz each) of beans as 2 cans last time wasn't quite enough.I like this batch much better than the first time I made it.

For anyone that has done both the original rehydration of the chilies vs just using chili powder, which do you like better? I haven't decided if I am ever going to make this without chili powder because I like it the way it is done now. But, I almost want to try it at least once if it is worth it.

Just a tip on how to liven up those chili leftovers - heat some chili, cover with cheese and sour cream and put in a warm tortilla :popcorn:

I may use this or a variation of it for a chili cookoff (proceeds for animal rescue). I need "at least 2 to 3 gallons" according to the event planner. Think this is close to 2 gallons? When I made it before I used a huge pot so it was hard to tell.

wife thinks I should enter this white bean chicken chili I've made before but I think it's pretty average myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may use this or a variation of it for a chili cookoff (proceeds for animal rescue). I need "at least 2 to 3 gallons" according to the event planner. Think this is close to 2 gallons? When I made it before I used a huge pot so it was hard to tell.wife thinks I should enter this white bean chicken chili I've made before but I think it's pretty average myself.
Jesus this is WAY more than 2 gallons.

I may use this or a variation of it for a chili cookoff (proceeds for animal rescue). I need "at least 2 to 3 gallons" according to the event planner. Think this is close to 2 gallons? When I made it before I used a huge pot so it was hard to tell.wife thinks I should enter this white bean chicken chili I've made before but I think it's pretty average myself.
Jesus this is WAY more than 2 gallons.
Thought it would be at least that much, then offdee said he fed 5 guys and had 1/4 left. :unsure:The one time I made it I used a huge pot so it was hard to gauge. Fed my wife's entire (large) family.

Users who are viewing this thread