What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

I may use this or a variation of it for a chili cookoff (proceeds for animal rescue). I need "at least 2 to 3 gallons" according to the event planner. Think this is close to 2 gallons? When I made it before I used a huge pot so it was hard to tell.wife thinks I should enter this white bean chicken chili I've made before but I think it's pretty average myself.
Jesus this is WAY more than 2 gallons.
Thought it would be at least that much, then offdee said he fed 5 guys and had 1/4 left. :unsure:The one time I made it I used a huge pot so it was hard to gauge. Fed my wife's entire (large) family.
I nearly filled a 12 Qt (3 gallon) pot with my chili.It should at least be 2 gallons, closer to 3 I'd say.

I may use this or a variation of it for a chili cookoff (proceeds for animal rescue). I need "at least 2 to 3 gallons" according to the event planner. Think this is close to 2 gallons? When I made it before I used a huge pot so it was hard to tell.wife thinks I should enter this white bean chicken chili I've made before but I think it's pretty average myself.
Jesus this is WAY more than 2 gallons.
Thought it would be at least that much, then offdee said he fed 5 guys and had 1/4 left. :shrug:The one time I made it I used a huge pot so it was hard to gauge. Fed my wife's entire (large) family.
I nearly filled a 12 Qt (3 gallon) pot with my chili.It should at least be 2 gallons, closer to 3 I'd say.
:no:

Thought it would be at least that much, then offdee said he fed 5 guys and had 1/4 left. :bag:
5 guys after 3 hours of drinking. I believe in my adjusted recipe I used a bit less liquid (beer) which quickly can add to the total amount. It should be fine hittin' 2 gallons.

Last edited by a moderator:
#### was rigged!! :D 3 regular joe blows, 2 of which had been working on their recipe for "a while" and then me, versus several restaurants (gourmet and not so much: BWW) and Trader Joes. All these restaurants are in this little community. The event planner was like "well, I didn't expect to have non-commercial cooks." Well hell lady, it was to benefit one of our sister dog rescue operations, of course we're going to come out. Then when the "secret/unbiased" judging was going on I saw her count out 1..2..3..4... around the room to the judges. She wrote numbers on the bottom of the cups. :rolleyes: Trader Joes won...which was a total joke. Got several "yours is the best" from the crowd as did the other 2 regular joes.

At the end of the day, mine was all gone. None left...and I never got more than a spoonful. :(

Did do a few different things. Doubled the beef broth. Processed some carrots down to bits and threw them in. Added in diced tomatoes. A touch of honey. Used a brown ale that hints towards a chocolate/molasses taste. Hit it with a little roux to thicken it up. Next time I'm going with a chocolate stout and maybe hit it with a little cinnamon.

Was just thinking I need to make this again.

This really is epic.

I was out to eat with a few friends, I ordered the chili at the restaurant. My friends GF asked how it was, and told me that the chili I made (this recipe) was the only chili that she's ever liked.

:lmao:

Harry Manback said:
Making this today.I am excited, but my friends are even more so!
Funny this got bumped as we're about to head out for our weekly grocery shopping trip and I'm making this Wed. (day off). Can......Not.....Wait! best chili I have ever had.

I tried this for the first time today, it will be done in another hour. The only thing I changed was that I used hot italian sausage.

I tried this for the first time today, it will be done in another hour. The only thing I changed was that I used hot italian sausage.
I put in a couple of diced up red & green bell peppers too. And make it a little spicier, but yeah, this is an incredible recipe.

Making this right now -

My only questions, since there is so much stew beef, a lot of the beef basically steamed instead of browned and I wound up with a lot of liquid in the pot, I debated draining it but ended up leaving it in there for flavor. The chili has another 90 minutes to simmer so it'll thicken a little but it's a bit loose right now. i may add some tomato paste.

Other than that, I de-seeded the peppers, I'm with a crowd that doesn't like things spicy.

I added a little extra cumin, as I love the flavor.

I drove 40 minutes this morning to find the amber ale I wanted (it's a local amber ale called Newport Storm).

I should have chopped up the stew meat into finer pieces, they were way too big in the packaging.

this is tasting REALLY GOOD.

Making this right now -

My only questions, since there is so much stew beef, a lot of the beef basically steamed instead of browned and I wound up with a lot of liquid in the pot, I debated draining it but ended up leaving it in there for flavor. The chili has another 90 minutes to simmer so it'll thicken a little but it's a bit loose right now. i may add some tomato paste.

Other than that, I de-seeded the peppers, I'm with a crowd that doesn't like things spicy.

I drove 40 minutes this morning to find the amber ale I wanted (it's a local amber ale called Newport Storm).

I should have chopped up the stew meat into finer pieces, they were way too big in the packaging.

If you don't have a pot big enough to brown all the meat at once, then do it in batches. Seriously, it really makes this chili even better!

Making this right now -

If you don't have a pot big enough to brown all the meat at once, then do it in batches. Seriously, it really makes this chili even better!
With 5 lbs of meat, I'd need a witches caldron. I thought about browning it in batches though, good call for the future.Just added the beans ( :thumbup: ) - another 30 minutes until feeding time.

Making this right now -

With 5 lbs of meat, I'd need a witches caldron. I thought about browning it in batches though, good call for the future.Just added the beans ( :bag: ) - another 30 minutes until feeding time.
Although I know the answer, curious to hear your thoughts on the chili. :rolleyes:

What are some thoughts on smoking the meat instead of browning it? Would a smokey flavor be lost in this, or would it overpower it?

Just thinking out loud...

Making this right now - My only questions, since there is so much stew beef, a lot of the beef basically steamed instead of browned and I wound up with a lot of liquid in the pot, I debated draining it but ended up leaving it in there for flavor. The chili has another 90 minutes to simmer so it'll thicken a little but it's a bit loose right now. i may add some tomato paste.Other than that, I de-seeded the peppers, I'm with a crowd that doesn't like things spicy.I added a little extra cumin, as I love the flavor.I drove 40 minutes this morning to find the amber ale I wanted (it's a local amber ale called Newport Storm). I should have chopped up the stew meat into finer pieces, they were way too big in the packaging.this is tasting REALLY GOOD.
I try to make this the day before I actually want to eat it. Overnight, in the fridge, those juices are absorbed nicely and the flavors really seem to really get better.Also, many people in this thread have talked about cutting the stew meat smaller. Most have also changed the 1:1 ratio of the meat/sausage to more like 1:3.

What are some thoughts on smoking the meat instead of browning it? Would a smokey flavor be lost in this, or would it overpower it? Just thinking out loud...
Just finished it - the pepper puree provides plenty of a smoky flavor, I would avoid smoking the meat as well at all costs.Smoking the meat also may make tougher. After three hours simmering, the typically tough stew meat was falling to pieces which was marvelous.Def. no on the smoke.

Ok all done -

very very very good chili.

It's actually not the best I've ever had, I have a recipe (I'll post here )for a chili that I prefer just by a hair. But it's still incredible.

It's definitely very deep and rich in flavor, a lot less of the tomato flavor that you get in some chilis. I think it needs maybe a LITTLE bit of sweetness and a little more Jack Daniels.

Great recipe.

What are some thoughts on smoking the meat instead of browning it? Would a smokey flavor be lost in this, or would it overpower it? Just thinking out loud...
Just finished it - the pepper puree provides plenty of a smoky flavor, I would avoid smoking the meat as well at all costs.Smoking the meat also may make tougher. After three hours simmering, the typically tough stew meat was falling to pieces which was marvelous.Def. no on the smoke.
Good point. Didn't think about the meat becoming too tough.

Making this right now - My only questions, since there is so much stew beef, a lot of the beef basically steamed instead of browned and I wound up with a lot of liquid in the pot, I debated draining it but ended up leaving it in there for flavor. The chili has another 90 minutes to simmer so it'll thicken a little but it's a bit loose right now. i may add some tomato paste.Other than that, I de-seeded the peppers, I'm with a crowd that doesn't like things spicy.I added a little extra cumin, as I love the flavor.I drove 40 minutes this morning to find the amber ale I wanted (it's a local amber ale called Newport Storm). I should have chopped up the stew meat into finer pieces, they were way too big in the packaging.this is tasting REALLY GOOD.
I don't necessarily mind that the beef was steamed rather than browned, but you pretty much HAVE to chop up the beef. Smaller the better. :rolleyes:

Making this right now -

I try to make this the day before I actually want to eat it. Overnight, in the fridge, those juices are absorbed nicely and the flavors really seem to really get better.Also, many people in this thread have talked about cutting the stew meat smaller. Most have also changed the 1:1 ratio of the meat/sausage to more like 1:3.
:blackdot:

Isn't the original recipe a ratio of 5:1 for stew meat to sausage? I end up using a 1:1 ratio and do 3lbs of stew meat and 3lbs of sausage. I like that ratio better.

Making this right now -

:blackdot:

Isn't the original recipe a ratio of 5:1 for stew meat to sausage? I end up using a 1:1 ratio and do 3lbs of stew meat and 3lbs of sausage. I like that ratio better.
Copied below from my post #252...After eating leftovers of this I've come to the realization that there is just a bit too much stew meat for my liking. Next time I make it I'm going 3lbs of spicy pork sausage and 1.5lbs of stew meat (cut into very small, sugar cube size pieces)

ETA: or if want more spice....1.5lbs stew meat, 2lbs spicy pork sausage, 1lb spicy chorizo sausage

Making this right now -

:goodposting:

Copied below from my post #252...After eating leftovers of this I've come to the realization that there is just a bit too much stew meat for my liking. Next time I make it I'm going 3lbs of spicy pork sausage and 1.5lbs of stew meat (cut into very small, sugar cube size pieces)

ETA: or if want more spice....1.5lbs stew meat, 2lbs spicy pork sausage, 1lb spicy chorizo sausage
:(

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 4 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage

1 pound of mild italian sausage

3 large onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) 5 Tbls chili powder

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of tomato soup

1 2 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 1 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)

1 shot of Jack Daniels Seagrams

34 45 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans)
Had my 2nd batch of this today. I made it last night, then put it in the fridge, then put it on the stove on simmer about 10 this morning. I noted my changes above in red. As others have mentioned, I wanted just a little less stew meat and more sausage. I doubled the cayenne to give it a bit more kick, and I think 2 is just the right amount for my family. I could stand it to be a bit hotter, but this was the perfect amount for everyone. The first time I made it, it was just a smidge too salty, so I cut that in half. I didn't have any JD at home like I thought I did, so I used Seagrams instead. I used 3 cans (15oz each) of beans as 2 cans last time wasn't quite enough.

I like this batch much better than the first time I made it.

For anyone that has done both the original rehydration of the chilies vs just using chili powder, which do you like better? I haven't decided if I am ever going to make this without chili powder because I like it the way it is done now. But, I almost want to try it at least once if it is worth it.
bumping my own postnever saw an answer to the bolded part. not sure if anyone has done it both ways or not, but if so I would be curious of your results.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 4 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

1 can of tomato soup

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 1 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

Had my 2nd batch of this today. I made it last night, then put it in the fridge, then put it on the stove on simmer about 10 this morning. I noted my changes above in red. As others have mentioned, I wanted just a little less stew meat and more sausage. I doubled the cayenne to give it a bit more kick, and I think 2 is just the right amount for my family. I could stand it to be a bit hotter, but this was the perfect amount for everyone. The first time I made it, it was just a smidge too salty, so I cut that in half. I didn't have any JD at home like I thought I did, so I used Seagrams instead. I used 3 cans (15oz each) of beans as 2 cans last time wasn't quite enough.

For anyone that has done both the original rehydration of the chilies vs just using chili powder, which do you like better? I haven't decided if I am ever going to make this without chili powder because I like it the way it is done now. But, I almost want to try it at least once if it is worth it.
bumping my own postnever saw an answer to the bolded part. not sure if anyone has done it both ways or not, but if so I would be curious of your results.
I've never used the powder, love infusing the chili with the beer. I can't imagine regular chili powder is any better.It's not hard to do either, simmer for 20 min while you cut up the beef. Times out well.

I do a similar recipe but fry up some bacon, then cook the meat in the bacon grease.

I also throw in a Habanero pepper.

Making this right now -

:unsure:

Sorry, I was on a lot of cough medicine this weekend...The 1:1 is what I end up with also.

Added one chile de arbol for a little extra kick when rehydrating the chilies.

Yup, dinner rocked again tonight! :(

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

1 can of tomato soup

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 1 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

I've never used the powder, love infusing the chili with the beer. I can't imagine regular chili powder is any better.It's not hard to do either, simmer for 20 min while you cut up the beef. Times out well.
Thanks. We're having company over Sunday for dinner. I think I am gonna make a batch on Sat, cool it over night, then warm it up slowly on Sunday. I think I'll try to the pod method this time.

Making this recipe this weekend

:psyched:

Any advice anyone can give? I am likely to substitute some sausage for beef. .....
Make it the day before you want to eat it. So much better after living together for a day. Also, make twice as much as you need and freeze half. That way you dont have to go through the whole process over again the next time.

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

8 qt pot or larger is needed.

30 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1.5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased. (or if like it spicier, 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb chorizo sausage)

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 regular sized can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 tablespoons of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

1 shot of Jack Daniels (Jim Beam also works)

1 ounce baker’s chocolate

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Quoting post above for the guy a couple posts up asking for advice/tips. Do the above for guaranteed tastebud enjoyment.

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

8 qt pot or larger is needed.

30 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1.5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased. (or if like it spicier, 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb chorizo sausage)

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 regular sized can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 tablespoons of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

1 shot of Jack Daniels (Jim Beam also works)

1 ounce baker’s chocolate

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Quoting post above for the guy a couple posts up asking for advice/tips. Do the above for guaranteed tastebud enjoyment.
:jawdrop: :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread