What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

Just made this and it is a HUGE hit...

I used 2.75 pound of stew meat ( i cut em' up into smaller cubes) and 2.25 pound of mild sausage.

I added extra chopped tomato and I ended up adding a little flour to thicken at the very end.

Tons of leftovers.. just me and wife and 1 of the three kids for dinner; but that means leftovers for tomorrow during football. I will reheat with a full bottle of beer. I used Great Lakes Oktoberfest for any locals to Cleveland that are curious.

In the future I am going to add green and red pepper as well;

Thanks EZ glider for the advice;

Wade Garret is correct - it seems like a ton of onions but they cook down...

This is easily the best chili I have had! :rolleyes:

Making this the day before football. At the point where you add the beef and it looks marvelous. 6# of meat and spices. How can you go wrong?

Just made this and it is a HUGE hit...

I used 2.75 pound of stew meat ( i cut em' up into smaller cubes) and 2.25 pound of mild sausage.

I added extra chopped tomato and I ended up adding a little flour to thicken at the very end.

Tons of leftovers.. just me and wife and 1 of the three kids for dinner; but that means leftovers for tomorrow during football. I will reheat with a full bottle of beer. I used Great Lakes Oktoberfest for any locals to Cleveland that are curious.

In the future I am going to add green and red pepper as well;

Thanks EZ glider for the advice;

Wade Garret is correct - it seems like a ton of onions but they cook down...

This is easily the best chili I have had! :lmao:
you might not need this.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 3 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage

1 pound of mild italian sausage

1 pound chorizo

1 pound salsiccia

3 large onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 1 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire) - Dos Equis

1 shot of Jack Daniels Jim Beam

34 45 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans)
Made some on Sat to be eaten today. The stuff in blue is what I did different this time. I wasn't sure how hot the pods were gonna be, so I went back to the original 1 tsp of cayenne. Should have left it at 2, or maybe I could get some hotter pods and rehydrate those as well. Will have to try that next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put the poblano(ancho) chilies in beer on the stove. Will report back, most likely pretty drunk from beer and Jack left over, with progress/success.

Good stuff. I finally made this recipe "to the letter." I put that in quotes because I just assumed everything was "tablespoon," besides the salt which was likely more like half a teaspoon. I also threw in 3 whole jalepenos with the rehydrated chiles, but I still ended up needing more heat in the end. It's still pretty mild IMO, but I prefer things which make me sweat when I'm stirring the pot.

I'm not saying this recipe is perfect, possibly not even legendary, but it covers many of the bases needed for a great chili. Thank you, Judge Smails. This is now my basis for starting a great chili recipe.

Good stuff. I finally made this recipe "to the letter." I put that in quotes because I just assumed everything was "tablespoon," besides the salt which was likely more like half a teaspoon. I also threw in 3 whole jalepenos with the rehydrated chiles, but I still ended up needing more heat in the end. It's still pretty mild IMO, but I prefer things which make me sweat when I'm stirring the pot.I'm not saying this recipe is perfect, possibly not even legendary, but it covers many of the bases needed for a great chili. Thank you, Judge Smails. This is now my basis for starting a great chili recipe.
Thanks -I think..

Good stuff. I finally made this recipe "to the letter." I put that in quotes because I just assumed everything was "tablespoon," besides the salt which was likely more like half a teaspoon. I also threw in 3 whole jalepenos with the rehydrated chiles, but I still ended up needing more heat in the end. It's still pretty mild IMO, but I prefer things which make me sweat when I'm stirring the pot.I'm not saying this recipe is perfect, possibly not even legendary, but it covers many of the bases needed for a great chili. Thank you, Judge Smails. This is now my basis for starting a great chili recipe.
Thanks -I think..
Hmm, I've had a bit to drink. I thought I was giving a compliment, but after reading again, I can see the confusion. I need more heat in my chili than the recipe called for. I probably hit 4 totaly tablespoons of cayenne when all was said and done with some doses of tabasco/cholula. It's probably still a bit mild to me in the end.I think the overall taste of the chili is better than anything I've made previously and why I paid the compliment.Oh, I used the large can of whole tomatoes replacing the tomato soup, but also used a small can of tomato paste. That was the only thing I did even partially different from the original recipe which was non-heat related.I think my audience tomorrow is going to act like this isn't hot enough for chili, but I could probably take this to a different function and have people crying for relief.

Thanks -I think..
Hmm, I've had a bit to drink. I thought I was giving a compliment, but after reading again, I can see the confusion. I need more heat in my chili than the recipe called for. I probably hit 4 totaly tablespoons of cayenne when all was said and done with some doses of tabasco/cholula. It's probably still a bit mild to me in the end.I think the overall taste of the chili is better than anything I've made previously and why I paid the compliment.Oh, I used the large can of whole tomatoes replacing the tomato soup, but also used a small can of tomato paste. That was the only thing I did even partially different from the original recipe which was non-heat related.I think my audience tomorrow is going to act like this isn't hot enough for chili, but I could probably take this to a different function and have people crying for relief.
For the record, I always have more heat in my chili. But if I'm making it for a big group I'll consider people that can't handle the heat. My daughter can't eat real spicy stuff. So I'll make is a bit milder, then add whatever to my own bowl that I need to get the right heat. Gotta consider the masses..

Good stuff. I finally made this recipe "to the letter." I put that in quotes because I just assumed everything was "tablespoon," besides the salt which was likely more like half a teaspoon. I also threw in 3 whole jalepenos with the rehydrated chiles, but I still ended up needing more heat in the end. It's still pretty mild IMO, but I prefer things which make me sweat when I'm stirring the pot.

I'm not saying this recipe is perfect, possibly not even legendary, but it covers many of the bases needed for a great chili. Thank you, Judge Smails. This is now my basis for starting a great chili recipe.
Thanks -I think..
Hmm, I've had a bit to drink. I thought I was giving a compliment, but after reading again, I can see the confusion. I need more heat in my chili than the recipe called for. I probably hit 4 totaly tablespoons of cayenne when all was said and done with some doses of tabasco/cholula. It's probably still a bit mild to me in the end.I think the overall taste of the chili is better than anything I've made previously and why I paid the compliment.

Oh, I used the large can of whole tomatoes replacing the tomato soup, but also used a small can of tomato paste. That was the only thing I did even partially different from the original recipe which was non-heat related.

I think my audience tomorrow is going to act like this isn't hot enough for chili, but I could probably take this to a different function and have people crying for relief.
For the record, I always have more heat in my chili. But if I'm making it for a big group I'll consider people that can't handle the heat. My daughter can't eat real spicy stuff. So I'll make is a bit milder, then add whatever to my own bowl that I need to get the right heat. Gotta consider the masses..
:bag:

Chili well received. Either I have gotten way too used eating hot foods, or my mouth now disagrees with my colon as to what is too hot and what is not. My liver often fights with my colon, but I've never had this kind of disagreement before. I think I need to sit everyone down and discuss what we're trying to accomplish here.

Chili well received. Either I have gotten way too used eating hot foods, or my mouth now disagrees with my colon as to what is too hot and what is not. My liver often fights with my colon, but I've never had this kind of disagreement before. I think I need to sit everyone down and discuss what we're trying to accomplish here.
I definitely think my body is used to hot foods now. Although I did make the mistake of putting jalapenos on my sweet onion chicken terryaki sub at subway, and that was a very odd combination that was a lot hotter then I thought it was going to be.

Made this again last Monday night for MNF, and converted two more people who hadn't tried it before. Again I went with diced tomatoes versus tomato paste & soup, added more beans, and made the meat/sausage ratio 3:3 (as well as chopped the stew meat into much smaller pieces). I also added some Tobasco Chipotle to the mix & kept more of the heat from the New Mexico peppers, which made it spicier & smokier - my girls didn't even mind the spicier mix, so maybe I can turn up the heat even more next time :thumbup:

Great chili, and I'm in the "Legendary" camp of believers. Everyone who has this at my place always talks about how fantastic it is, and the guys who eat it love, love, love the amount of meat. Since it's always a crowd-pleaser, that's good enough for me :mellow: I think I've tweaked something each time, and will continue to try new wrinkles to see if I can outdo myself each time.

I made a batch of this for Saturday tailgating yesterday, and everybody absolutely loved this recipe. One of our regulars had a bunch of family in town this weekend, so I only knew about a third of the people who were hanging out with us this weekend. I amazed at how many of the people I didn't know tracked me down to tell he how awesome this chili was. This was by far the best thing anybody was cooking in our spot. It's amazing how something a simple as using stew meat and sausage instead of ground beef can completely transform a recipe. My personal chili recipe is pretty good and goes together a lot faster, but this chili makes mine taste like something made by Hormel.

I agree with jplvr that this is milder than what I would make for myself; if I was cooking just for me, I would at least double the amount of cayenne for starters and then go from there. But for crowds this seasoning is perfect.

After reading this thread about 20 times, I finally my first batch of this last night. I only tried one small bowl because I was making it to serve today -- but wow, it is legendary!

I had to make some adjustment on the original recipe. I didn't have any whiskey (crazy for somebody from Kentucky). I thought I had some but it must have been consumed at the last get-together. I added a little extra bakers chocolate instead. I also had an overload of home-grown cayennes, so I added a few to the mix since some folks said this recipe was a little on the mild side. My batch is far from mild, almost to the point of being too hot, but I like it spicy.

My batch is also much thicker than what I was expecting, so I think I will have to add some beer when reheating.

Overall a great recipe! It took a little more work in the beginning, but nothing difficult at all and well worth it in the end.

Thanks Judge!

If I make this recipe exactly*, how many people can I serve? We have a Halloween party on Saturday - expecting about 20 adults.

* Also, I was planning to use leftover pulled pork in place of the sausage - good/bad idea?

After reading this thread about 20 times, I finally my first batch of this last night. I only tried one small bowl because I was making it to serve today -- but wow, it is legendary!

I had to make some adjustment on the original recipe. I didn't have any whiskey (crazy for somebody from Kentucky). I thought I had some but it must have been consumed at the last get-together. I added a little extra bakers chocolate instead. I also had an overload of home-grown cayennes, so I added a few to the mix since some folks said this recipe was a little on the mild side. My batch is far from mild, almost to the point of being too hot, but I like it spicy.

My batch is also much thicker than what I was expecting, so I think I will have to add some beer when reheating.

Overall a great recipe! It took a little more work in the beginning, but nothing difficult at all and well worth it in the end.

Thanks Judge!
You might not. Mine always seems a bit "runnier" when reheating the 2nd day.

Thanks Judge!
I was actually trying to come up with a way to eliminate this problem.I was thinking possibly more paste/less beef stock. Or perhaps I will try adding some honey/molasses, I want to try a sweeter version.

Thanks Judge!
I was actually trying to come up with a way to eliminate this problem.I was thinking possibly more paste/less beef stock. Or perhaps I will try adding some honey/molasses, I want to try a sweeter version.
I love how thick it is when I pull it out of the fridge after sitting all night. But then after a few hours of warming up slowly on the stove it is too runny/soupy. I hate adding masa, so if you come up with something on this let me know.

Been wanting to give this a try, but had a few questions before I do and was seeing if I could get them answered without reading the entire thread.

What kind of sausage; mild, hot, breakfast?

How big of a pot is needed?

It says to put in the beef after the onions, pork, etc... Is the beef really able to brown when it is put in after these other things?

Thanks

Been wanting to give this a try, but had a few questions before I do and was seeing if I could get them answered without reading the entire thread.

What kind of sausage; mild, hot, breakfast?Your choice

How big of a pot is needed?The biggest one you got. 12 quart I think

It says to put in the beef after the onions, pork, etc... Is the beef really able to brown when it is put in after these other things?Yes

Thanks
Your welcome

CletiusMaximus said:
If I make this recipe exactly*, how many people can I serve? We have a Halloween party on Saturday - expecting about 20 adults.* Also, I was planning to use leftover pulled pork in place of the sausage - good/bad idea?
anyone?thanks dudes

CletiusMaximus said:
If I make this recipe exactly*, how many people can I serve? We have a Halloween party on Saturday - expecting about 20 adults.* Also, I was planning to use leftover pulled pork in place of the sausage - good/bad idea?
anyone?thanks dudes
i'd at least double the recipe or make 2 batches if you don't have a big enough pan. This recipe produced I'd say roughly 10 servings.ETA - not sure about the pulled pork - sounds interesting enough. Maybe one batch with the pork, one without?

CletiusMaximus said:
anyone?thanks dudes
I don't think it will feed 20, unless you've got other stuff going and this is just one of several options that people might be sampling. If most of them are eating it as a meal, I'd make two batches.I also personally don't think the idea of leftover pulled pork would work that well. You need the fat and the seasoning from the sausage. Not to mention the texture- I don't think the stringiness of any pulled meat would work for me personally, but it would be interesting to try I guess.

CletiusMaximus said:
anyone?thanks dudes
Hi CM,It's been my experience that already cooked pulled pork doesn't work too well. I think it's because you get benefit (fat rendering) out of cooking the meat in the chili or stew. That pound of raw sausage is going to give off some goodness as it cooks. I've tried using pulled pork a couple of times as it sounds like a great idea in theory but in reality, I've always been a little underwhelmed by it.J

CletiusMaximus said:
anyone?thanks dudes
Hi CM,It's been my experience that already cooked pulled pork doesn't work too well. I think it's because you get benefit (fat rendering) out of cooking the meat in the chili or stew. That pound of raw sausage is going to give off some goodness as it cooks. I've tried using pulled pork a couple of times as it sounds like a great idea in theory but in reality, I've always been a little underwhelmed by it.J
:lmao: On the other hand...smoked turkey or chicken works great in a white chicken or turkey chili as its not pulling the fat out of the meat for added flavor.Im making that this weekend for our neighborhood block party/chili cook.I made my version of the recipe in this thread this past weekend and the kids loved it this time...last time they were just so-so on it. Key was to just cover the top of their bowl with cheese so they never really saw what it all looked like til they were tasting it.

Thanks for the advice all. I smoked 10 lbs of pork last weekend thinking I would use half of it in my chili, but that seems like a bad idea so I am happy I checked with the FFA first. I might still put a small amount in the pot just to make it mine, but I can see how the regular uncooked sausage is better for chili.

Thanks for the advice all. I smoked 10 lbs of pork last weekend thinking I would use half of it in my chili, but that seems like a bad idea so I am happy I checked with the FFA first. I might still put a small amount in the pot just to make it mine, but I can see how the regular uncooked sausage is better for chili.
One way I have done it with success, is to reduce the amount of sausage, and pour the chili over some of the smoked pork. Don't add the pork to the chili, just use the chili as a topping...

Anyone have ideas (other than corn starch) to thicken it up? Molasses? Brown sugar? More tomato paste/less soup/beef stock?
Skim a little of the oil off the top of the chili as it's cooking and mix that with some all purpose flour. Mix to the consistency of about pancake batter or thicker. Than put back into chili and mix. That'll tighten it up.You can also do this with fine ground corn meal or masa to get a little different taste / texture.J

Anyone have ideas (other than corn starch) to thicken it up? Molasses? Brown sugar? More tomato paste/less soup/beef stock?
Skim a little of the oil off the top of the chili as it's cooking and mix that with some all purpose flour. Mix to the consistency of about pancake batter or thicker. Than put back into chili and mix. That'll tighten it up.

You can also do this with fine ground corn meal or masa to get a little different taste / texture.

J
You can also mix some flour or fine ground corn meal / masa with some canola oil and get the same thing.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about. You can see it at the 3:00 mark and the 5:18 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddI7-Q7FqNc

I've not been to Slim's Last Chance but it's on the list. Looks like a great spot.

J

making another batch of this tonight or tomorrow night for a chili cookoff during the Buckeyes game on Saturday night.

i have made it a couple times before, but always to the recipe... thinking about branching out a bit this time

is the general reco to do 3 lbs stew meat and 3 lbs pork sausage?

is the general reco to do 3 lbs stew meat and 3 lbs pork sausage?
I go:- 1.5 lbs stew meat (cut up in small cubes)- 3 lbs spicy pork sausage (or 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb spicy chorizo sausage)

Just put the poblano(ancho) chilies in beer on the stove. Will report back, most likely pretty drunk from beer and Jack left over, with progress/success.
How did this come out with anchos instead of New Mexicos? I'm thinking of bringing some into the mix, mostly because I have them lying around.A couple unanswered questions from the thread:Kenny Powers: Stew meat is random chunks of beef from the tougher parts of the cow like the shoulder I think- the idea is you're gonna cook it a long time in liquid, so the toughness will cook away. It's usually prepacked at the butcher counter in packs of a pound or so, comprised of pieces about this big: _____________________/ // // // // //____________________/ If my pieces were that big I personally like to cut them in quarters or so at least before starting.Guster: I personally like 3 lbs beef, 3 lbs ground pork, but I can see the allure of the 5/1 Smails ratio. As with the size of the beef chunks, it's totally your call. Anything's gonna be delicious. This is part of the beauty of the Smails recipe.ETA: I can't get the formatting right. You get the idea. About 1.5 inches by 1 inch.

How did this come out with anchos instead of New Mexicos? I'm thinking of bringing some into the mix, mostly because I have them lying around.
Not enough heat for me, but it was close. Next time I might de-seed/de-vein some fresh jalapenos, dice them and put them in before simmering.

So does anybody drain the meat before adding the liquids?

I increased the sausage last time around and got a LOt more fat floating to the top of the pot. I skimmed off what i could and it didn't really bother me, just wanted to check. I've been leaning all of the meat juices in the pot.

I've really got to give this a try. I've got some andouille left over, but I imagine that is too smokey for the chili. What say you?

Users who are viewing this thread