What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cubs-Tigers trade (1 Viewer)

Juxtatarot

Footballguy
ESPN link

The Detroit Tigers have acquired outfielder Jacque Jones from the Chicago Cubs for infielder Omar Infante, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

The deal, which was first reported by the Detroit Free Press, could be announced sometime Monday, the sources said.

Jones, 32, is a .280 hitter with 164 home runs in nine seasons with Minnesota and the Cubs. He hit 27 home runs in 2006, but he never warmed to Chicago and was a target of boos from Wrigley Field fans and abuse on the local radio call-in shows.

The Cubs tried to trade Jones last winter with no success, and he was not in the team's plans for next season under manager Lou Piniella.

The Cubs currently have Alfonso Soriano and Matt Murton on the corners and Felix Pie and Sam Fuld to play center field in 2008. After trading Jones and declining to exercise the mutual option on Cliff Floyd, Chicago is in the market for a left-handed bat. But at the general managers meetings in Florida last week, Chicago GM Jim Hendry said the team's main goal is to get more "athletic'' in the outfield.

Jones is likely to play left field in Detroit, where the Tigers were looking at a combination of Marcus Thames and Ryan Raburn. He helps keep the position warm for top prospect Cameron Maybin, who hit .143 in 24 games with the Tigers last season. Maybin is only 20 years old, and could benefit from more time in the minors.

Jones is scheduled to make $5 million next season in the final year of a three-year, $16 million deal. This is the second offseason trade for Detroit GM David Dombrowski, who acquired veteran shortstop Edgar Renteria from Atlanta for two prospects two weeks ago.
From the Cubs perspective, this just seems to be a dump of Jacque Jones. They don't have much use for Infante. One thing it does do, however, is force the Cubs to acquire a free agent outfielder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacque Jones is a completely average baseball player who is making 6 million dollars. I would try and dump him too if I were the Cubs.

Career OBP of a pathetic 329. He does play a god outfield, so that certainly adds value...but I wouldnt be too excited about paying him at that salary.

Not that Infante is anything special, but he can play nearly every position....so he's got that going for him.

:goodposting:

I, for one, am sorry to see Infante go. On a postive note, the Tigers did re-sign Todd Jones.

If the Cubs were smart, they'd give Matt Murton a shot as the opening day Center Fielder and see what he can do for a full season. Kid can get on base, has occasional power and has a decent glove. Why deal for another OBP nightmare like Carl Crawford and send away quality pitching when you have an in-house, cheap option like Murton?

If the Cubs were smart, they'd give Matt Murton a shot as the opening day Center Fielder and see what he can do for a full season. Kid can get on base, has occasional power and has a decent glove. Why deal for another OBP nightmare like Carl Crawford and send away quality pitching when you have an in-house, cheap option like Murton?
Totally agree. 100%. I can't believe I'm agreeing with a pats fan. Didn't Murton come from the Boston organization? This is the same-ol-same-ol for the Cubs. Groom the young guys just enough to send them off to flourish with someone else.

Murton is a below average fielder. The Cubs also need some hitting from the left side. I'm a fan of Murton's and hope he gets a shot with another team. Barring injuries, he won't play much for the Cubs.

Murton is a below average fielder. The Cubs also need some hitting from the left side. I'm a fan of Murton's and hope he gets a shot with another team. Barring injuries, he won't play much for the Cubs.
This is correct. Murton is a below average left fielder. If I remember correctly he has played only a handful of games in center field in his whole college/minor/major career. No way the Cubs give him the nod as the starting CF.

This is correct. Murton is a below average left fielder. If I remember correctly he has played only a handful of games in center field in his whole college/minor/major career. No way the Cubs give him the nod as the starting CF.
Yep. I like Murton too, but he's not a legitimate CF. He's got a little too much Matt Mieske in him.I'm actually kind of happy for Jacque. He's a pretty emotional guy, and doesn't react very well when fans get on him in a negative way. Detroit has some incredibly patient fans, and I think they'll be rewarded.

Users who are viewing this thread