Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official OHIO STATE-MICHIGAN Thread***

:crazy:

:ptts: Although given the history of this rivalry this is exactly the type of game we'll win.Yes, I know I'm crazy.
I was thinking that as well. Michigan has been in the dumper pretty much all year, but I think Michigan might manage to pull that one out.

:bag:

:lol: Although given the history of this rivalry this is exactly the type of game we'll win.Yes, I know I'm crazy.
I was thinking that as well. Michigan has been in the dumper pretty much all year, but I think Michigan might manage to pull that one out.
That would be absolutely shocking to me. Terrelle Pryor should be able to run all over MI and I'm not sure how we will score.

While I'd be STUNNED to see UM beat OSU (heck, I'll be shocked if they lose by less than 2 TDs)... I do have to say that every player wearing maize and blue on that field will know that winning that single game would essentially erase their entire miserable season, and that makes them at least a 'little' dangerous.

:shock:

:homer: Although given the history of this rivalry this is exactly the type of game we'll win.Yes, I know I'm crazy.
:bow:Wow, you are seriously getting ready to surpass LSUCKS in terms of blind homerism if you are thinking Michigan has a shot this year. But hey, keep on drinking the kool-aid up there.:popcorn:

While I'd be STUNNED to see UM beat OSU (heck, I'll be shocked if they lose by less than 2 TDs)... I do have to say that every player wearing maize and blue on that field will know that winning that single game would essentially erase their entire miserable season, and that makes them at least a 'little' dangerous.

I would be shocked as well, but not totally surprised either.. I've been around long enough to see that anything can happen in these games (and usually do). It never matters what the records are going into this game.

:shock:

:homer: Although given the history of this rivalry this is exactly the type of game we'll win.Yes, I know I'm crazy.
:bow:Wow, you are seriously getting ready to surpass LSUCKS in terms of blind homerism if you are thinking Michigan has a shot this year. But hey, keep on drinking the kool-aid up there.:popcorn:
He's just supporting his team and has some optimism. Please turn your tool factor down. We don't need any more OSU bashing than already goes on in this forum.

I would be shocked as well, but not totally surprised either.. I've been around long enough to see that anything can happen in these games (and usually do). It never matters what the records are going into this game.
While that's usually true, we're also usually dealing with two above .500 teams that have pulses. I definitely would be shocked and suprised this year...even though I am a firm believer in the anything can happen stuff. I think Michigan needs an edge that isn't known of right now (weather, injury or injuries, etc) to pull this one out.

:popcorn: Although given the history of this rivalry this is exactly the type of game we'll win.Yes, I know I'm crazy.
:(Wow, you are seriously getting ready to surpass LSUCKS in terms of blind homerism if you are thinking Michigan has a shot this year. But hey, keep on drinking the kool-aid up there.:lmao:
The 1993 game would like to speak to you.Yes, I realize this Michigan team is much worse than that team but Ohio St was supposed to roll in that game and lost 28-0. Anything can happen in this rivalry. I expect us to lose (badly) but a win would not blow me away.

So what's the breakdown for the Rose Bowl? If Sparty beats PSU, and tOSU beats that team up north, the Bucks go due to the h-t-h win over Sparty? Or Sparty goes because it's been longer for them?

I think it would be MSU that would go. OSU could get an at-large bid but I don't think they deserve it.
Just read on foxsports that tOSU has to lose for MSU to go.

In order to reach Pasadena now, Michigan State would have to win the Big Ten outright. The only way to do that is if Ohio State loses one of its remaining games -- either this weekend at Illinois or Nov. 22 against Michigan.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/team/michigan...ball/teamreport Edited by Tecumseh

So what's the breakdown for the Rose Bowl? If Sparty beats PSU, and tOSU beats that team up north, the Bucks go due to the h-t-h win over Sparty? Or Sparty goes because it's been longer for them?

I think it would be MSU that would go. OSU could get an at-large bid but I don't think they deserve it.
Just read on foxsports that tOSU has to lose for MSU to go.

In order to reach Pasadena now, Michigan State would have to win the Big Ten outright. The only way to do that is if Ohio State loses one of its remaining games -- either this weekend at Illinois or Nov. 22 against Michigan.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/team/michigan...ball/teamreport
I stand corrected.

:blackdot: Although given the history of this rivalry this is exactly the type of game we'll win.Yes, I know I'm crazy.
That would be absolutely shocking to me. Terrelle Pryor should be able to run all over MI and I'm not sure how we will score.
:excited: I hope they keep it close, but it shouldn't be.

No matter which way one slices it, the nightmare for us Michigan fans is almost over, at least for this season. I would like to see Michigan somehow pull a win out of its butt against OSU, but I can take comfort in knowing that Rodriguez will still have talent coming in to get this team on track.

No matter which way one slices it, the nightmare for us Michigan fans is almost over, at least for this season. I would like to see Michigan somehow pull a win out of its butt against OSU, but I can take comfort in knowing that Rodriguez will still have talent coming in to get this team on track.

It surely can't get any worse, can it? :bye:

It surely can't get any worse, can it? :mellow:
I certainly hope not.

The good news, if/when we lose, is that we can rightfully say that we've still never had an eight-loss season.

Those crickets you're hearing is the sound of nobody caring about Ohio State. Even on our worst year, we're still a story.

The good news, if/when we lose, is that we can rightfully say that we've still never had an eight-loss season.

Those crickets you're hearing is the sound of nobody caring about Ohio State. Even on our worst year, we're still a story.
:mellow:

You really didn't get that joke did ya?

He was referring to Michigan, having a NINE loss season instead of eight.

HTH

:mellow:

HTH

I got the joke perfectly fine. It just wasn't anything even remotely in the same realm as the thing down the street from funny. But Michigan still gets press, while OSU gets jack.

:mellow: I remember seeing this kind of post (excuse) about Rodriguez and how the team he has isn't his type of team. Michigan gets good recruits every year, and I think you can call his year a complete bust.He may do better, then again he may pull a Weiss, but getting the most losses ever* in the 129 year history of Michigan shows you how badly he did this year. I don't care how well he does in the future, most coaches do very well at Michigan. Even Lloyd Carr's worst season in 13 years was only 5 losses. In one year at Michigan, Rodriguez will have pummelled Carr's worst season (and Moeller's and Schembechlers, etc.). That is impressive.* Chances are that Rodriguez will eclipse his own school history loss record again next week. :mellow: Edited by stbugs

Whatever happened to the Dead Schembechlers? Do they still exist? Did they change their name?

An email from my buddy down in Columbus the other day:

Its that time again, the annual Hate Michigan Rally with Watershed and The Dead Schembechlers. Show is next Friday at the LC. Who is in? You only get to hear the classics once a year.

Pretty sure they only changed the name last year...

:lmao:

HTH

I got the joke perfectly fine. It just wasn't anything even remotely in the same realm as the thing down the street from funny. But Michigan still gets press, while OSU gets jack.
:shrug:

This is my new perma-response to every post you will ever make again about Michigan football. Just assume it is there, because in spirit, it will be.

You do realize that Worst Season ever in School History publicity isn't good, right?

You do realize that Worst Season ever in School History publicity isn't good, right?
But Rodriguez doesn't have his own players, yet so cut him some slack. I am sure every other Michigan coach started off the same way. :lmao:

But Rodriguez doesn't have his own players, yet so cut him some slack. I am sure every other Michigan coach started off the same way. :lmao:
I think it's safe to say that none of them ever started off with 8 (and maybe 9) losses. :excited:

But I do agree, we'll have to wait 2-3 years to accurately assess the job RR is doing at Michigan.

Michigan was an underdog in 1993 and underdogs in 95' and '96 playing against an undefeated Ohio State team each time and Michigan won each time. That prevented the Chestnuts from three National Championship chances, three hilarious moments in this series.

Although Ohio St should win this game I think a win for Michigan would mean as much as it did in any of these three aforementioned seasons and lead to a lot of laughs. Ohio State fans better enjoy this because it surely won't last just like it didn't last in the late 50s and early 60s. Ohio State has never beaten Michigan in five consecutive games.

More background:

“* Michigan leads the series all time 57-41-6.

* The 2006 game was the first time that Ohio State and Michigan met ranked #1 and #2 in the country.

* Only three times in history has the matchup pitted the two against each other with perfect records on the last game of the regular season. In 1970 OSU (8-0) and Michigan (9-0) met in Columbus, with the Buckeyes winning 20-9. Ohio State went on to lose to Stanford in the Rose Bowl. Then in 1973 OSU (9-0) traveled to Ann Arbor to take on Michigan (10-0), and the game ended in a 10-10 tie. Controversially, Ohio State was selected as the Big Ten's candidate to travel to the Rose Bowl, where they defeated USC. In 2006, Ohio State and Michigan met with both having 11-0 records. Ohio State won 42-39. Three other times (1902, 1906, and 1933) the two teams met each other with perfect records in early season matchups.

* Since 1935, Ohio State and Michigan have decided the Big Ten Conference championship between themselves on 23 different occasions, including 2007.[9]

* Michigan's longest winning streak in the rivalry is nine games, from 1901-1909. Michigan also went without a loss in the first 15 games (13 wins and two ties). Ohio State's longest winning streak is four games, from 1934-1937 and 1960-1963.

* Michigan's largest victory margin was in 1902, when it won 86-0. Ohio State's largest victory margin was in 1935, when it posted a 38-0 shutout. OSU's highest point total in a game was 50, which occurred in 1961 and 1968.

* Michigan has been shut out in 11 games in the rivalry. Ohio State has been shut out 26 times. The second meeting between the schools resulted in a 0-0 tie.

* Between 1933 and 1940, the losing team was shut out every year. The teams split the meetings 4-4, with a combined winning-losing score of 206-0.

* The Ohio State Alma Mater “Carmen Ohio†was written on the train ride home to Columbus following the 1902 contest, which saw Ohio State losing to Michigan 86-0. The lyrics and melody (Spanish Chant) have remained largely unchanged since its conception.

* Other than (often) the Big Ten Championship Trophy, there is no trophy for the Michigan-Ohio State game. However, Ohio State has a separate tradition. When the Buckeyes win the game, each team member receives a pair of "Gold Pants," a small golden charm of football pants worn by football players on necklaces. This tradition was started by former coach Francis Schmidt, who remarked in 1934 about a heavily favored Michigan team "They put their pants on one leg at a time, the same as we do!"

* Participants of the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry have produced two Heisman Trophy firsts. OSU running back Archie Griffin is the only player to ever win the Heisman twice, doing so in 1974 and 1975. Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson became the first primarily defensive player to win the award in 1997.

* Ohio State fans often sing a song during rivalry games to the tune of The Old Grey Mare the words of which are "We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan...'cause we're from O-hi-o"

* In honor of the 100th meeting between the schools in 2003, US Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio proposed a resolution in the House to recognize Michigan and Ohio State as the "greatest sports rivalry in history." [10]

* In 2003, a judge in Columbus, Ohio allowed Jeff Renne, an inmate charged with forgery, to stay in a local jail so that he could watch the 100th game between OSU and Michigan. Renne told the judge that he would plead guilty as long as he could stay in jail for the weekend and watch the game before he was relocated to a prison.[11]

* In 2004, Michigan and Ohio State announced a deal with SBC Communications to sponsor their football game for the next two years for $1.06 million, to be split between the universities. The game would be dubbed the "SBC Michigan-Ohio State Classic" that year and the order of the school names would be switched the next. Advertisements were to be placed on billboards in Ohio Stadium, but not on the field or on player uniforms, nor anywhere in Michigan Stadium, where there is no commercial advertising. Fans and alumni of both schools were outraged and ultimately the deal was cancelled. The game remains unsponsored. [12]

* Following the general elections in 2006, the race in Ohio's 15th congressional district was disputed between incumbent Deborah Pryce and challenger Mary Jo Kilroy. The district delayed recounting votes until after the Michigan-Ohio State game in Columbus on November 18. [13]

* In 2006, half an hour after the Ohio State-Michigan game ended, the Ohio Lottery PICK 4 evening drawing was 4-2-3-9, matching the final score of the game and paying out up to $5,000 per winner, for a total payout of $2.2 million.[14]

* In 2006, the Ohio High School Athletic Association had to change the times of many post-season high school football games because of the Ohio State-Michigan game. [15]

* In 2006, press reports indicated that the two schools had turned down several million dollars from a broadcast network to reschedule the game from the Saturday before Thanksgiving to later in the season.

* The 2007 game marked the only time since 1959 that both Ohio State and Michigan lost in their immediately preceding games; Michigan lost to Wisconsin, and Ohio State lost to Illinois.”

:thumbup:

Not necessarily. Since Michigan will continue to be a player in National Recruiting telling kids they can turn the team back into a championship calibar team will not hurt. As far as recruiting goes their record means nothing, the system and the coaching staff might be another matter but we'll have to wait at least three years to see.

Yeah, the way MSU played against OSU, I can see your point about who deserves to play in a BCS bowl.

Yeah, the way MSU played against OSU, I can see your point about who deserves to play in a BCS bowl.
Don't get me wrong MSU doesn't deserve it either. The entire big 10 is weak this year.

wow.....7 pages already?look, i went to this game when it mattered 2 years ago. i got my picture taken with this caped ohio state dude. it was fun.but who gives a F*** about either team this year?the big ten sucks this year....both teams suck this year......this game means nothing.

The guy in the cape you are referring too is Buckeye Cowboy. Him and his buddy Buckeye Man are nothing more then camera hogs. I have seen them jump in front and push down kids to get in front of the camera.I call them Buckeye Chuck and Cowboy Curtis.

wow.....7 pages already?look, i went to this game when it mattered 2 years ago. i got my picture taken with this caped ohio state dude. it was fun.but who gives a F*** about either team this year?the big ten sucks this year....both teams suck this year......this game means nothing.

You realize this thread was started about 369 days ago?You realize OSU/Michigan never means nothing?Go spend more time with LSucks. Who do you root for, the Cal Bears?

You realize this thread was started about 369 days ago?You realize OSU/Michigan never means nothing?Go spend more time with LSucks. Who do you root for, the Cal Bears?
:yes:

:lmao: Cal :goodposting: Edited by wadegarrett

:lol:

HTH

:banned:

This is my new perma-response to every post you will ever make again about Michigan football. Just assume it is there, because in spirit, it will be.

I wouldn't expect anything of intelligence from Ohio State fans anyway. It doesn't waste my time or their brain cell.

But Rodriguez doesn't have his own players, yet so cut him some slack. I am sure every other Michigan coach started off the same way. :confused:
I won't make excuses for RichRod, but I do wonder where they would have been if Mallet had stayed. I suspect not 3-8, but that's pure speculation.

HTH

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't expect anything of intelligence from Ohio State fans anyway. It doesn't waste my time or their brain cell.
Wow, I don't necessarily follow your postings, but when did you become such a whiney tool? Emphasis on the whiney. Seriously, you are coming off with a huge doooosh factor here. As for the comment about UM getting more press, are you serious? Are your homer glasses that blinding? Or is that just more toolishness on your part? Edited by Loke

:wall:

HTH

Wow, I don't necessarily follow your postings, but when did you become such a whiney tool? Emphasis on the whiney. Seriously, you are coming off with a huge doooosh factor here. As for the comment about UM getting more press, are you serious? Are your homer glasses that blinding? Or is that just more toolishness on your part?
The answer is, unfortunately, yes. It's proof that these kinds of people are in every fan base. I wish that wasn't the case.

HTH

:goodposting:

Wow, I don't necessarily follow your postings, but when did you become such a whiney tool? Emphasis on the whiney. Seriously, you are coming off with a huge doooosh factor here. As for the comment about UM getting more press, are you serious? Are your homer glasses that blinding? Or is that just more toolishness on your part?
Believe me when I say that I am not a homer, but I am an eternal optimist. Besides that, I have run into far too many Ohio State fans over the years, and if you think I'm a whiny tool, ignore me. Others do, and we both are the happier for it. Meanwhile, I'll still support Michigan and my alma mater, Liberty, and let people know that I am.

Believe me when I say that I am not a homer, but I am an eternal optimist. Besides that, I have run into far too many Ohio State fans over the years, and if you think I'm a whiny tool, ignore me. Others do, and we both are the happier for it. Meanwhile, I'll still support Michigan and my alma mater, Liberty, and let people know that I am.

Being an optimist has nothing to do with the statements I referred too. They were simply statements that were either flat out wrong or just dick-ish. So yes, they reek of homerism despite your statement to the contrary. :lmao:p.s. My daughter is a Liberty grad.