What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

People are waiting in line outside the Circuit City here (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
There's a circuit city between the subway and my apartment. I walked past it on my way home this evening at about 8:30pm. There must have been 10 people waiting in line. It's freezing outside. Going into the 30s tonight.

I can see this Circuit City from my window. The line is growing. I should fire up a webcam or something.

Are these people ######ed?

I'm thankful that evolution is working out better for me than it has for the people out there in line.

I was going to head to CC around 11:30 to camp out for one myself, but a quick recon at 8:30 showed 15 or so people already in line.

I bet some FFAers are out there doing this sort of thing right now. I'd love to know which ones.

:lmao: why not. not everybody has tons of cash to throw around or cares about wasting a couple hours waiting on line to save money on #### like this.

no, i am not out doing this. nor have i ever.

:lmao: why not. not everybody has tons of cash to throw around or cares about wasting a couple hours waiting on line to save money on #### like this.
There is no product special enough that I would be out there in line with these schlubs to get one now.

:shrug: why not. not everybody has tons of cash to throw around or cares about wasting a couple hours waiting on line to save money on #### like this.
There is no product special enough that I would be out there in line with these schlubs to get one now.
you're also 30ish and made of moneyyou drop 300 dollars on dinner for a first datework-a-day folks appreciate a good deal and are willing to suffer a bit for it

I'm thankful that evolution is working out better for me than it has for the people out there in line.
For most people it takes a lot longer than 2 days to make $1000, so sounds like +EV to me.
That's assuming you absolutely have to have that particular product right now. If you consider that there are probably plenty of cheaper and nice looking TVs out there -- even with this super fantastic "sleep out in the cold" discount -- that would not change your experience when watching the crappy football game tonight, I don't see the +EV.It's insanity.

For most people it takes a lot longer than 2 days to make $1000, so sounds like +EV to me.
That's assuming you absolutely have to have that particular product right now. If you consider that there are probably plenty of cheaper and nice looking TVs out there -- even with this super fantastic "sleep out in the cold" discount -- that would not change your experience when watching the crappy football game tonight, I don't see the +EV.It's insanity.
It's a 46" 1080p LCD for $1299. I don't think you're getting "cheaper and nicer looking."

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed the local Best Buy at 3pm and it looked like 30-40 people were already there.

And put me down on the No F'ing way category of ever doing this. There has got to be a better use of my time than this.

It's a 46" 1080p LCD for $1299. I don't think you're getting "cheaper and nicer looking."
You're assuming I have a desperate need to count the change in Tony Dungy's pockets. A 42 inch HDTV for less money and not a night out in the cold, or that same 46" TV in 6 months, all for the same or less money, is satisfactory.

Blurry spy photo

I can't seem to figure out how to get a decent shot out of my digital camera from this distance at night. Maybe I should go wait in line to buy a new one.

You're assuming I have a desperate need to count the change in Tony Dungy's pockets. A 42 inch HDTV for less money and not a night out in the cold, or that same 46" TV in 6 months, all for the same or less money, is satisfactory.
Since you already possess a screen stretcher, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

I guess these people haven't heard of a little something called the internet. Buying online is much more convienent.
The 46" model isn't for sale on the internet.
Oh. It's gonna be pretty sweet when they have it first.Is there also maybe some new nerdy video game they're also waiting in line for? Gotta be first.
That should read "on sale." It's regularly-priced on the net.

For the record, I'm paying a couple hundred extra bucks and getting a different TV versus standing in line. I'm just not sure why you need to be an ####### about people that want to save a few hundred bucks.

I guess these people haven't heard of a little something called the internet. Buying online is much more convienent.
Sears has had a 42" 1080 with three HDMI inputs on it on sale for 776.99 since Tuesday.LG 42" Plasma on sale 899.99Panasonic 56 inch1080P 1199.99Last year I bought a 56 inch Panasonic LCD for 999.99 online after I woke up at 9, got some coffee, went to Circuit City to look at the display model and then back home to get online and get it.I'm sure there are great deals out there but.... unless there are just as good ones online.

For the record, I'm paying a couple hundred extra bucks and getting a different TV versus standing in line. I'm just not sure why you need to be an ####### about people that want to save a few hundred bucks.
Pretty defensive here, Brent.

Just don't dig the whole "superior to the poor working stiffs" part of O's bag of tricks. 150% Otis, Heads up with gay poker robot Otis, and camera phone whore Otis are cool. This one's down there with fall in love with a different girl every three days Otis and unable to complete Otis.

Sears has had a 42" 1080 with three HDMI inputs on it on sale for 776.99 since Tuesday.LG 42" Plasma on sale 899.99

Panasonic 56 inch1080P 1199.99

Last year I bought a 56 inch Panasonic LCD for 999.99 online after I woke up at 9, got some coffee, went to Circuit City to look at the display model and then back home to get online and get it.

I'm sure there are great deals out there but.... unless there are just as good ones online.
Yeah but these televisions aren't as good. You know, because, well, you don't have to wait in line.

Just don't dig the whole "superior to the poor working stiffs" part of O's bag of tricks. 150% Otis, Heads up with gay poker robot Otis, and camera phone whore Otis are cool. This one's down there with fall in love with a different girl every three days Otis and unable to complete Otis.
I think you're missing the point here, chach. I have no clue what these people do for a living, and nor do I care. They could all be brain surgeons. They'd still be morons.

I think you're missing the point here, chach. I have no clue what these people do for a living, and nor do I care. They could all be brain surgeons. They'd still be morons.
I think it's safe to say that brain surgeons aren't waiting out in the cold to save money on consumer electronics.

Sears has had a 42" 1080 with three HDMI inputs on it on sale for 776.99 since Tuesday.LG 42" Plasma on sale 899.99Panasonic 56 inch1080P 1199.99Last year I bought a 56 inch Panasonic LCD for 999.99 online after I woke up at 9, got some coffee, went to Circuit City to look at the display model and then back home to get online and get it.I'm sure there are great deals out there but.... unless there are just as good ones online.
ya, whoever posted about the 46" being a 'can't miss deal' was way wrong. BB had a 42" Samsung for under a G earlier in the week

IMO

I have nothing against the people who want to camp out overnight or get up at 3:00 AM to catch a better deal......good for them. I wouldn't do it because my time and me not freezing my ### off is more important to me than saving some money on a gift that I will spending too much on (probably) anyway.

I think it's safe to say that brain surgeons aren't waiting out in the cold to save money on consumer electronics.
Ah. I see. This is the poor, blue collar, working man, struggling to make ends meet ... in front of his 46" plasma television.

Ah. I see. This is the poor, blue collar, working man, struggling to make ends meet ... in front of his 46" plasma television.
Technically, it's an LCD. But I'm sure that there are people outside waiting on plasmas also.

That's actually a video from my still camera. I bought it off woot 6 months ago and I've used it twice. Never claimed to be an artist or to own a tripod.

Otis, you would've been TWICE as blown away by the following... I mean.. at least these people are saving hundreds of dollars potentially:

1) They had "Free Ice Cream" day at a ice cream store (sheridan's) near my office. People were literally waiting in line 2+ hours for a free $3-5 item.

2) Chipotle Free Burrito Day: People will wait in 45 min + lines for that too?

Yet. I think if they were handing out $5 bills, would these people still wait in the same line?

Seem -EV

This practically screams for a poll.

It all comes down to EV.

If the guy standing out in the cold for 8 hours saves $500.. maybe that's more than he makes in a typical 8 hour day.. and he's doing nothing more than standing.. so that's clearly +EV.

Now, Otis probably makes more than $500 in 8 hours, so him standing out there is -EV.

It's 10:30 PM here.. and it's 30 degrees outside.

For me to go wait in line from now until 6 AM .. i'm pretty sure the reward at the end of the tunnel would need to be ~$800

Local news interviewed people waiting outside Best Buy. Woman said she had been there since 9 AM. That's an entire Thanksgiving down the drain.

It's amazing what some people will do to avoid hearing Bryant Gumbel.

Otis, you would've been TWICE as blown away by the following... I mean.. at least these people are saving hundreds of dollars potentially:1) They had "Free Ice Cream" day at a ice cream store (sheridan's) near my office. People were literally waiting in line 2+ hours for a free $3-5 item.2) Chipotle Free Burrito Day: People will wait in 45 min + lines for that too?Yet. I think if they were handing out $5 bills, would these people still wait in the same line?Seem -EVThis practically screams for a poll.It all comes down to EV.If the guy standing out in the cold for 8 hours saves $500.. maybe that's more than he makes in a typical 8 hour day.. and he's doing nothing more than standing.. so that's clearly +EV.Now, Otis probably makes more than $500 in 8 hours, so him standing out there is -EV.It's 10:30 PM here.. and it's 30 degrees outside. For me to go wait in line from now until 6 AM .. i'm pretty sure the reward at the end of the tunnel would need to be ~$800
Thank you. I don't think it has anything to do with the money. That's the crazy part. It's the same reason you can get people to spend 15 minutes signing up for an awful credit card that they'll never use just so they can get some crappy t-shirt or a frisbee. Look, if they were giving away 50 inch televisions, hell, I might go stand out there myself. But they're not. It's a sale. There is or will be as good or a better deal that does not involve standing outside in the cold all night.We could make this a poll but I'm pretty sure I know how it will end.

I bet some FFAers are out there doing this sort of thing right now. I'd love to know which ones.
Did it last year to try to get the 42 inch panasonic plasma for a grand. I didnt have a job then and the money i would have saved would have been huge. I didnt get it. :bag

Users who are viewing this thread